Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > LRP

Old 25-03-2011

Default LRP motors and ESC

How do they rate?

Good, bad? Smooth or cheap and rough?

Any comments would be good, as I am looking for something for my 4WD buggy - cheers in advance.

Mark
Old 25-03-2011

Send a message via MSN to colmo Send a message via Skype™ to colmo

I think you're going down the wrong track with such a general question.

Most of the BRCA homologated brushless stuff (and quite a lot that isn't!) is excellent. It depends what you're after.

Are you looking for modified or stock class gear?

I know that LRP (and their Nosram siblings) were first out of the blocks with the new style boosted (dynamic timing advance) speed controllers. Other companies eventually caught up and provided firmware upgradeable models. The early LRP models were left stranded by this lack, so they go pretty cheap - I got the Nosram Spec Racing one off a touring car racer for £40, more than adequate for off-road as it's ability to power motors down to 3.5T is more useful in a buggy than the latest, coolest stock spec firmware.

AFAIK, the latest SXX models now are firmware upgradeable too, so will keep up in the speed control arms race, more of a touring car issue than off-road, though.

Personally, I find the price of the latest LRP models to be a bit steep, but there's no issue of quality.

Photos:
Oople Invernational 2010 - Sodden Sunday
Muchmore N. Irish GP 2010 (Touring cars)
BADMCC 1/8th Nitro buggies

Current cars:
X6^2 | JC BJ4WE | TM E4 & E4JS | HPI E-Firestorm | Losi Crawler | + many F1s, super crawlers, scalers, drifters in the works...
Old 25-03-2011

Sorry about being vague.

The reason for asking is I am new to rc and have limited budget, but I want something that will get me started in club racing and I love building stuff rather than buying a rtr setup - I personally think if you have to build it you get a better understanding of how everything works.

So I have manage to get a team associated b44 buggy, but it is only a rolling chassis, so I have searching around for a cost effective setup to get started. I have seen lots of stuff on ebay that is mega bucks, but the LRP stuff caught my eye (used that is), and wondered how it stacked up.

I think the motor I have my eye on is a brushless 13.5t with a ESC - would this work for off road?

Cheers, mark

Cheers, mark
Old 25-03-2011

You'd be well advised to talk to the folks at the club you're planning to run at. Different tracks demand different winds, or have different motor classes.

Most top club racers on Oople seem to use around 5.5T in 4wd buggies - that's quite a handful for a newbie, but you can always dial back the power on your radio by using throttle EPA (end point adjustment).

Timing advance is more a feature of the stock classes, 10.5T and a above.

What model motor (x11 or x12 - I'd not bother about the Eraser unless it's cheap) and what ESC are the ones you have your eye on?

Photos:

Current cars:
X6^2 | JC BJ4WE | TM E4 & E4JS | HPI E-Firestorm | Losi Crawler | + many F1s, super crawlers, scalers, drifters in the works...
Old 25-03-2011

The motor is a Eraser 13.5t and an automatic reverse pro ESC - both LRP, all for £60 - is that a bargain, or a total no no?
Old 25-03-2011

For racing, I wouldn't get those - best for bashing and tooling around.

Best bang-per-buck for a slowish motor is the Hobbywing Xtreme Stock (£56 or so from Giantcod) - they also do cheap £15 13.5 and 11.5 motors! Get the LCD program card and update it all via the net.

Long term, a nice modified capable esc and a good 2nd hand motor off the For Sale section will see you right. You'd just end up replacing that combo in no time.

Photos:

Current cars:
Old 27-03-2011

Cheers for the help Colmo
Old 28-03-2011

Yea I'd shout the case for previously loved gear off the for sale section. I got an LRP SXX version 1 for 65 quid and an X12 mod motor for 20. If you can find similar deals its a proper steal and massive value for money. I felt like I robbed the guy really.
Old 28-03-2011
Mad Member

I wouldn't limit myself to LRP stuff.

Most of the companies out there do excellent race spec electronics now so it's basically down to personal preference really.

Secondhand off the for sale section here rarely goes wrong and good deals can be had. I would look out for the LRP Sphere TC-Spec or Nosram Matrix ISTC for 4wd and the older seed passion motors in something like a 6.5 or 7.5 turn flavour and you would be pretty much set to win nationals.
Old 30-03-2011
Spends too long on oOple ...

I use lrp sxx tc and the x12 motors and the motors get very hot. I would advise buying the Losi exelorin esc and maybe a Losi 8.5 motor. These motors just keep on going and are probably the best club motors you can get. If geared correctly they hardly get warm. They are also quite fast as well.
Answer UK team driver
Designer of the Lazer ZX/ZXR carbon fibre tub chassis
Designer of the Lazer ZXRS