Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > International fOrums > Ireland

Old 22-08-2011

Default Classes

I know I am relatively new to all this but I see a need for some class re-structuring going into the winter and next year ?
To encourage new drivers into the sport (where even the clubman class has become very fast ) I think possibly a new entry class could be with a 13.5 brushless .This should have the effect of making it easier for a novice as it would be a little slower than the 10.5 class.
I am just mentioning this as at the track anyone who has come to enquire with young kids has commented that it looks too fast for a beginner???
Just something to think about.
Old 23-08-2011
Mad Member

No reason why this cant be done other than having the numbers. I think ideally you would need 4 regulars in any new class to sustain it. This could be difficult at the moment. The 4wd clubman was a great addition to the classes and the competition is very good in it. Maybe 17.5 is the way to go to slow things right down as there isn't much really between a highly geared 13.5 and a 10.5.
Old 23-08-2011
Mad Member

As Ian said there is not much difference between 13.5 and 10.5, 17.5 however, would be slower. You have to remember that if you win the 17.5 clubman then move up to modified, you would get the fright of your life as soon as you touched the throttle. Perhaps then you are looking at 3 classes, Begginer 17.5, Intermediate 10.5 and then Modified. This in my opinion would be the way to encourage new members.
Old 23-08-2011
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kartstuffer View Post
I know I am relatively new to all this but I see a need for some class re-structuring going into the winter and next year ?
To encourage new drivers into the sport (where even the clubman class has become very fast ) I think possibly a new entry class could be with a 13.5 brushless .This should have the effect of making it easier for a novice as it would be a little slower than the 10.5 class.
I am just mentioning this as at the track anyone who has come to enquire with young kids has commented that it looks too fast for a beginner???
Just something to think about.
Hi Ivan,

Fully agree with you. I'd recommend that 17.5 is adopted by the clubman class - it can be proposed as a rule change at the AGM.

Will
Old 23-08-2011
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legacy555 View Post
Hi Ivan,

Fully agree with you. I'd recommend that 17.5 is adopted by the clubman class - it can be proposed as a rule change at the AGM.

Will
The only one problem I forsee is that any new member can't legally run an rtr without forking out for at least a motor or esc and motor to get race legal.
Old 23-08-2011
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ian h View Post
The only one problem I forsee is that any new member can't legally run an rtr without forking out for at least a motor or esc and motor to get race legal.
New class could be 17.5 and above with 10.5 being allowed boost to compete in the modified class. The thing is, you want to keep it as simple as possible for any newcomers. By the amount of spectators you get over the course of a days racing, I would say that you will get a few new members and with the ever increasing amount of rtr cars available now it would be silly to turn anyone away because they didn't have the right motor.
Old 23-08-2011

Thumbs up

Well at least we have some talking about this !
I didn`t see a need to change what is already there or to stop someone new competing in whatever class they wanted to, I was thinking more about the younger guys and those who just want a race without costing a lot .
At the moment if anyone wants to they can run boost in 10.5 and race in the mod class.
You wouldn`t have to have a seperate race from 10.5 if numbers were low.
ie. New class restricted to novice and class 4 & 5 driver 13.5 or 17.5 ( although I think 17.5 might be a bit too slow ) and stick to one tyre that suits wet and dry like a turfripper.
ps Will i have a 17.5 xcelorin motor i will put it in a car but i don`t have a speed control to suit do you have a spare one to try it out with & a big pinion 33?
Old 23-08-2011

I remember years ago before brushless..as I'm sure William can remember we all started with a 27 turn stock motor..these were painfully slow off road compared to a 10.5 of nowadays..but they were plenty fast enough for me the first time I started racing....I do agree totally that any beginner young and old would find a 10.5 far too much for them..I think even roar in America has changed the stock class from 10.5 to 17.5 for this very reason..so I think lowering the motor or having a beginners class would be good...providing there's enough interest to start it...it's a fine balance between getting new members and being able to accommodate everyone without putting them off the sport...by this I mean finding things too difficult and quitting...
Old 23-08-2011

I think we need to be careful with this. Changing the clubman class to 17.5 in my opinion isnt a good idea. The reason being that a lot of people went out last year and bought 10.5 motors, will have to buy 17.5.
The existing clubman racers will also need to change their motors, including beginners, and as Ian points out RTR cars will need to have motors replaced.
How would looking at a beginners class, where up to 10.5 is allowed, but grouping the beginners together based on the number of laps they are doing in a heat?

Lee

www.dublinmodelracing.com
Old 23-08-2011

I have to agree with The Doktor in that the current classes as they stand to me seems fine. That drop to 10.5t in clubman is giving the lads who are not comfortable in modified a very equal class to run it with what is still a quick enough motor for are track. I dont see why we should drop the class to a 17.5t just to slow it up. By changing the motor limit you are only forcing people to choose do i run in modified ( most likely not as its was the reason for moving to clubman) or go buy a new motor and not be happy because a 17.5 is that bit to slow for them to enjoy.
Being practical and grouping new drivers into more favorable heats would be the direction i would prefer see happen. As said before most rtr with brushless setups nowadays are suitable for the clubman class and as stated earlier it would probably require a newbie to change out motors straight away to meet a novice class motor rule. I now that wouldnt be my ideal start to be told i got to change my motor i just bought to run Nothing to stop a newbie running with a higher turn motor as it is in clubman. Up to the individual.
Old 24-08-2011

Maybe I said it wrong at the start but !!! There was never any intention to alter the two classes as they stand, 10.5 clubman and modified.
The only reason i mentioned this is that someone new coming into he sport would find it difficult and end up going to do something else, so I thought it needed to be looked at from a beginners point of view as the 10.5 class has become nearly what the modified class was last year..
Old 30-08-2011
Mad Member

Hi,

There is another way of tackling this problem.
Eveyone in the club has a ranking based on the seeding system in the rule book. It could be a good idea to award prizes based on the "F" grading of drivers rather than just dividing it up into Modified and Clubman.

We could still maintain prizes for top 3 in Modified and Clubman, but then award extra prizes for best F2, F3, F4, F5 (we've no F1 drivers in the club at the moment ) . Top three in mod and club would be not included so that nobody goes away with two prizes.

Effectively, this means that RTR drivers could race for the F5 prize (making the assumption that RTR racers are all newcomers and F5) without having to be competitive at the top of the Clubman Class.
Old 30-08-2011
oOple Advertiser

I thought we already had a formula based championship?

MiCk B. :-)

http://www.p-dubracing.co.uk
(Stocking: 8Racing / AVID / GHEA / Xpert Racing / Factory R/C / Alton Design Innovations)

http://www.msdmodels.ie/
(Trackside and on-line RC supplies.)

Old 30-08-2011
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiCk B. View Post
I thought we already had a formula based championship?

MiCk B. :-)
Yes we do,

F1, F2, F3 is modified
F4 and F5 is clubman.

But there is alot of variation in the the pace of drivers within each class. So maybe a further subdivision could be discussed.