Old 14-02-2008
Lion-O - King of the Thundercats

Send a message via MSN to bigred5765 Send a message via Skype™ to bigred5765
Default are you a kid from the 60's -70's

If so read this
just found this else were not my work i think its ace so true, but funny

CONGRATULATIONS TO ALL THE KIDS WHO WERE BORN IN THE
60's 70's 80's!!

First, we survived being born to mothers who smoked and/or drank while they carried us.

They took aspirin, ate blue cheese dressing, tuna from a tin, and didn't get tested for diabetes.

Then after that trauma, our baby cots were covered with bright coloured lead-based paints.

We had no childproof lids on medicine bottles, doors or cabinets and when we rode our bikes, we had no helmets, not to mention, the risks we took hitchhiking

As children, we would ride in cars with no seat belts or air bags.

Riding in the back of a van - loose - was always great fun.

We drank water from the garden hosepipe and NOT from a bottle.

We shared one soft drink with four friends, from one bottle and NO ONE actually died from this.

We ate cakes, white bread and real butter and drank pop with sugar in it, but we weren't overweight because......

WE WERE ALWAYS OUTSIDE PLAYING!!

We would leave home in the morning and play all day, as long as we were back when the streetlights came on.

No one was able to reach us all day. And we were O.K.

We would spend hours building our go-carts out of scraps and then ride down the hill, only to find out we forgot the brakes. After running into the bushes a few times, we learned to solve the problem .

We did not have Playstations, Nintendo's, X-boxes, no video games at all, no 99 channels on cable, no video tape movies, no surround sound, no cell phones, no text messaging, no personal computers, no Internet or Internet chat rooms..........WE HAD FRIENDS and we went outside and found them!

We fell out of trees, got cut, broke bones and teeth and there were no lawsuits from these accidents .

We played with worms and mud pies made from dirt, and the worms did not live in us forever.

Made up games with sticks and tennis balls and although we were told it would happen, we did not poke out any eyes.

We rode bikes or walked to a friend's house and knocked on the door or rang the bell, or just yelled for them!

Local teams had tryouts and not everyone made the team. Those who didn't had to learn to deal with disappointment. Imagine that!!

The idea of a parent bailing us out if we broke the law was unheard of. They actually sided with the law!

This generation has produced some of the best risk-takers, problem solvers and inventors ever!

The past 30 years have been an explosion of innovation and new ideas.

We had freedom, failure, success and responsibility, and we learned

HOW TO
DEAL WITH IT ALL!

And YOU are one of them!

CONGRATULATIONS!

You might want to share this with others who have had the luck to grow up as kids, before the lawyers and the government regulated our lives for our own good.

and while you are at it, show it to your kids so they will know how brave their parents were.

Kind of makes you want to run through the house with scissors, doesn't it?!
Old 14-02-2008
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

like it. how things have changed!

Ansmann Racing UK

RIP - MicroTech Racing

Trader Feedback
Old 14-02-2008
Mad Member

Send a message via MSN to dave g

carl..your living proof that all those things did have an effect on SOME kids
Old 14-02-2008

ive always eat crap off the floor and im very rarly ill,

word up!
Old 14-02-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave g View Post
carl..your living proof that all those things did have an effect on SOME kids
and as a kid from my eara im sure you agree lmao
Old 14-02-2008

Send a message via MSN to b4rs

wish i was a kid of the 60's but then again, you didnt have rc cars either!

[img=http://img32.imageshack.us/img32/4506/userbartemp.jpg]

"mardaves are the future of sport electric!"
"yea, if youve only got 30 pound to spend..."

Old 14-02-2008
Spends too long on oOple ...

being a kid is sh*t these days

A

I always thought by 2013 we would have flying cars, but we have got blankets with sleeves!

Last edited by ashleyb4; 14-02-2008 at 03:14 PM. Reason: Ashley used a bad word.
Old 14-02-2008

Send a message via MSN to b4rs

i agree partly, we got some good stuff , but absolutly Sh** rules and regulations and health and safety.....jeeez dont get me started.

[img=http://img32.imageshack.us/img32/4506/userbartemp.jpg]

"mardaves are the future of sport electric!"
"yea, if youve only got 30 pound to spend..."

Old 14-02-2008
Mad Member

Send a message via MSN to dave g

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigred5765 View Post
and as a kid from i eara im sure you agree lmao
differance is, i didnt lick the lead soldiers
Old 14-02-2008

Surely you chewed them a bit, i know i did!!!(might explain some things)
Nice find, and all very true
Old 14-02-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by b4rs View Post
wish i was a kid of the 60's but then again, you didnt have rc cars either!
o we had rc cars, just could'nt really say they were much use
and lick lead solder's huh
i use to eat em
Old 14-02-2008
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Send a message via MSN to telboy

ohhhh, lick lead soldiers, drink the paints that we use to paint them. play in mud..and we sometimes got it in our mouth!!
Bmx riding and falling off on the big jumps...without sueing the council because (god forbid) the ground was too hard!!

And we could play out in the dark on our own street without the fear of some pervert running off with us.

Running through thorn bushes........just because a mate dared us too.
....and it bloody hurt sometimes.

The first computer I had was a commodore 64, it took almost an hour to load a game up on the cassette player (yes kids..cassette! it was the future).....and sometimes it crashed just before it loaded, so you had to start all over again, then you'd get 5 mins play before bedtime came around.

Kids today don't know they were born!
Old 14-02-2008

OOOh, you had to have had a spectrum zx81 they were the business all those lovely colours and noises as you waited for games to load for an hour, only for them to crash. I loved it!!
The best had to be see how many of your mates you could jump on your raleigh burner off a balsa wood ramp
Old 14-02-2008
oOple Contributor

Send a message via MSN to rcracer

or crush your nuts on a raleigh chopper
Old 14-02-2008
Mad Member

Send a message via MSN to markwilliamson2001

I must be old, cos I had a raleigh chopper too...and I am only 25! LOL
Old 14-02-2008
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

The chopper wasn't too bad cos the cross bar was low....you just had to look out for the gear lever.! Ouch!!

Now the Burner....that was a family killer! espescially if you were small....like me. I had to have smaller bikes that everone else, and get laughed at. I couldn't even reach the handle bars on a chopper!

Zx81? But they only had 4 colours!! The 64 had a massive....16!

Did anyone used to do that thing with the handle bars on their bmx,? where you'd lean them all the way forwards so it looked like you were on a racing bike. You couldn't control it for toffee, but it looked kool....until you piled it, and because the bars were so far forward, 9 times out of 10 you go over them head first!
.....which I did.....onto a freshly tarred and stone chipped road!!!
I was fine...until I saw the blood.
Old 14-02-2008

How much of the following rings true?
School 1977 vs. School 2007
Many a true word is spoken in jest but…….

Scenario: Johnny and Mark get into a fistfight after school.

1977 - Crowd gathers. Mark wins. Johnny and Mark shake hands and end up mates.

2007 - Police are called, Armed Response Unit arrives and arrests Johnny and Mark. Mobiles with video of fight confiscated as evidence. They are charged with assault, ASBOs are taken out and both are suspended even though Johnny started it. Diversionary conferences and parent meetings conducted. Video shown on 6 internet sites.

Scenario: Jeffrey won't sit still in class, disrupts other students.

1977 - Jeffrey is sent to the principal's office and given 6 of the best. Returns to class, sits still and does not disrupt class again.

2007 - Jeffrey is given huge doses of Ritalin. Counselled to death. Becomes a zombie. Tested for ADD. School gets extra funding because Jeffrey has a disability. Drops out of school.

Scenario: Billy breaks a window in his neighbour's car and his Dad gives him the slipper.

1977 - Billy is more careful next time, grows up normal, goes to college, and becomes a successful businessman.

2007 - Billy's dad is arrested for child abuse. Billy is removed to foster care and joins a gang. Psychologist tells Billy's sister that she remembers being abused herself and their dad goes to prison. Billy's mum has an affair with the psychologist. Psychologist gets a promotion.

Scenario: Mark, a college student, brings cigarettes to school .

1977 - Mark shares a smoke with the school principal out on the smoking area.
2007 - Police are called and Mark is expelled from School for drug possession. His car is searched for drugs and weapons.

Scenario: Mohammed fails high school English.

1977 - Mohammed retakes his exam, passes and goes to college.

2007 - Mohammed's cause is taken up by local human rights group. Newspaper articles appear nationally explaining that making English a requirement for graduation is racist. Civil Liberties Association files class action lawsuit against state school system and his English teacher. English is banned from core curriculum. Mohammed is given his qualification anyway but ends up mowing lawns for a living because he cannot speak English.

Scenario: Johnny takes apart leftover firecrackers, puts them in a model plane paint bottle and blows up an anthill.

1977 - Ants die.

2007 - MI5 and police are called and Johnny is charged with perpertrating acts of terrorism. Teams investigate parents, siblings are removed from the home, computers are confiscated, and Johnny's dad goes on a terror watch list and is never allowed to fly again.

Scenario: Johnny falls during break and scrapes his knee. His teacher, Mary, finds him crying, and gives him a hug to comfort him.

1977 - Johnny soon feels better and goes back to playing.

2007 - Mary is accused of being a sexual predator and loses her job. She faces three years in prison. Johnny undergoes five years of therapy. Becomes gay.

And then we wonder where it all went wrong!!
Old 14-02-2008

That had to be done, and the can on the rear wheel so it sounded like a motorbike! Did you ever progress to the night burner? One beat me at a bmx meeting, so i aquired my brothers
Old 14-02-2008
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Haha, no, beleive it or not, I couldn't actually fit on a 'proper' bmx until I was like 13.

Gramey, that is ace, and soooo true.

Things are taken far to seriously now. I remember we used to fall over at school all the time ( like you do) and then one year, the school actually thought about aboloshing playtimes, because a kid fell at school (well, fell off a fence because he was stupid enough to climb all 16ft or so when it was raining) and he broke his elbow. The kids parents then decided to sue the school..and won. So they actually thought about stopping us playing out.
One of my mates fell and broke his wrist, because we found a frozen puddle (a big one) and decided to use it as a huge slide. he got off balance fell backwards and used his wrist to cussion his landing. All that happened (because his parents had common sense) was that he got picked up by his mum, got a slap around the head (we all laughed) and took to hospital. no sueing of the school or anything like that....beacuse these, things, happen!

The world has gone claim mad!

I know its different, but schools have now got rid of the 'nit nurse' because a parent could see it as 'child abuse' so we now have to spend £30 a week through the summer on shampoo etc. cos some poor kids parent can't be arsed to sort his hair out. They're probably too busy smoking, drinking and breaking into their 'working neighbours' house, to actually have to look after their 10 kids!!
Old 14-02-2008
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

In the 70's I used to climb up sign posts on the way home from school....now I'd have been arrested for damage to council property.

Bu then again, now its ok for kids to smash your car up, and then kill you for going and shouting at them. God, if we killed everyone that shouted at us when we were kids, ther'd be no old people around now.

Can you remember hedge hopping?