Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > News

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #101  
Old 04-03-2012
tellor tellor is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Canada & the UK
Posts: 147
Default

Can I ask WHY has an outdoor dirt track been built in the UK? if it was indoor great, under a massive cover yeah great but outdoors??

we've tried these years ago and were too time consuming to maintain, thats why we went to astro turf. we dont have the consistency of the weather to simply keep the track in good condition.

I appreciate i raced on dirt tracks then and not clay as they are now but still seems like hard work to maintain

Will it make the 6 guys who go to a Euros/worlds better....slightly
Is there a possibility we could run a Euros whenever/worlds in 2019...maybe if we could afford it

Great work guys and I for one will love to try it but why?
Reply With Quote
  #102  
Old 04-03-2012
U1timate PigDog U1timate PigDog is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Doncaster
Posts: 528
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tellor View Post

Great work guys and I for one will love to try it but why?
I think the question is more like why NOT, you can see the effort that has gone into this track already and I'm sure these guys will be keeping the track in great shape.
Reply With Quote
  #103  
Old 06-03-2012
KRob's Avatar
KRob KRob is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Swingrove
Posts: 446
Default

For those that haven't seen it yet:

RHR Dirt in association with Proline

Click here for information on the first official event - The oOple Invernational 2012
Reply With Quote
  #104  
Old 06-03-2012
colmo's Avatar
colmo colmo is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Fermanagh, N. Ireland
Posts: 843
Send a message via MSN to colmo Send a message via Skype™ to colmo
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by James View Post
I think the track is better when its a little damp.. Its tacky and very grippy.. We still haven't finished rolling it yet so when we've done that and its mega hard packed and totally smooth and dry it may be grippier still, particularly if we get warm weather and it grooves up..
Just picked up on this from the Oople chatter.

I raced a bit on hard-pack (it used to be a grass track, but there's not much grass there now!) last summer, at the BADMCC track (we'll be running two BRCA regionals there this year).

I came up with a chocolate bar terminology to describe track dampness -

When dry, it was a honeycomb colour, like the centre of a Crunchie bar - this was abrasive on the tyres, and we found Losi X2000 and X3000 tyres worked best on this.

When damp, the track became a milk chocolate colour, like Dairy Milk. This was best, and everything from Bowties to Calibres worked well.

When very damp, the track went Bourneville i.e. like dark chocolate. Grip became more difficult, and a step-pin worked best on this.

Any wetter than that, it was probably lashing, there was standing water on the track and we frankly couldn't be bothered with the hassle and risk to electrics to race in those conditions, plus it became dangerous to marshalls.
__________________


Photos:
Oople Invernational 2010 - Sodden Sunday
Muchmore N. Irish GP 2010 (Touring cars)
BADMCC 1/8th Nitro buggies

Current cars:
X6^2 | JC BJ4WE | TM E4 & E4JS | HPI E-Firestorm | Losi Crawler | + many F1s, super crawlers, scalers, drifters in the works...
Reply With Quote
  #105  
Old 07-03-2012
atsang's Avatar
atsang atsang is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Loughgall, Northern Ireland
Posts: 76
Default

mmmmmmmmmm Chocolate... :P
Reply With Quote
  #106  
Old 08-03-2012
cmgreen's Avatar
cmgreen cmgreen is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Gods Country-Tyne & Wear
Posts: 837
Default

Just out of interest does any one know how long a set of tyres will last?
__________________
'There are two choices in life-Take it or leave it !'

Schumacher
Airhead Graphics
http://www.fairfueluk.com/
Reply With Quote
  #107  
Old 08-03-2012
Legacy555 Legacy555 is offline
Mad Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Dublin, Ireland
Posts: 1,474
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmgreen View Post
Just out of interest does any one know how long a set of tyres will last?
Depends on your pace. If you're at the sharp end of the field you may only get 1 - 2 heats from a set of rear on your 2wd. If you're a bit slower and not generating/using as much grip you may get the day out of a set.
__________________
www.facebook.com/racewayone
ABSIMA :: TEAM C :: SMD
Trader Feedback: http://oople.com/forums/showthread.php?t=81070
Reply With Quote
  #108  
Old 08-03-2012
MiCk B.'s Avatar
MiCk B. MiCk B. is offline
oOple Advertiser
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Dublin, Ireland
Posts: 1,165
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legacy555 View Post
Depends on your pace. If you're at the sharp end of the field you may only get 1 - 2 heats from a set of rear on your 2wd. If you're a bit slower and not generating/using as much grip you may get the day out of a set.
Not true at all.......

It all depends on the track. Dirt composition / how wet-damp / hard packed / dusty / blue grooved.

One set could be past their best after a single run, or in most cases they are good for a number of runs. On average should be able to get a couple of race days out of a set of tyres.

On certain dirt tracks new tyres are quicker, on other tracks worn-in tyres are quicker.
(Worlds in Finland this year, people were scrubbing in tyres.)

If the track blue-groves (ideal situation) then tyres will usually last until the foams break down.

There have been events in the US where the track has blue-groved, and drivers were running slicks!!

MiCk B. :-)
__________________
http://www.dublinmodelracing.com/
(Off-road racing in Dublin)

http://www.p-dubracing.co.uk
(Stocking: 8Racing / AVID / GHEA / Xpert Racing)

http://www.msdmodels.ie/
(Trackside and on-line RC supplies.)

Reply With Quote
  #109  
Old 08-03-2012
James's Avatar
James James is online now
RHR RACING
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Worksop/Blyth Tracks Nottinghamshire
Posts: 2,354
Send a message via MSN to James
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tellor View Post
Can I ask WHY has an outdoor dirt track been built in the UK? if it was indoor great, under a massive cover yeah great but outdoors??

we've tried these years ago and were too time consuming to maintain, thats why we went to astro turf. we dont have the consistency of the weather to simply keep the track in good condition.

I appreciate i raced on dirt tracks then and not clay as they are now but still seems like hard work to maintain

Will it make the 6 guys who go to a Euros/worlds better....slightly
Is there a possibility we could run a Euros whenever/worlds in 2019...maybe if we could afford it

Great work guys and I for one will love to try it but why?

We went to astro so we could race week in, week out in a much greater range of weather for a longer season. Clearly a clay track will never be able to offer this - we have an all-weather astroturf track 40 feet away from our new dirt venue for that. What it does offer is an experience currently not freely available in the UK and clay really is a great, fun, challenging surface to race on which has the advantage over astro of the bit of 'slip' so we can include more 'moulded' jumps.
Its not going to be everyones cup of tea and we will for sure make lots of mistakes in our construction and management, but given time we will know how to manage the surface correctly and hopefully be able to offer a top class facility. I tried for a long period, in vain to gain planning permission to put a roof over the venue. We have a few other projects on the go but I will come back to this perhaps in around 18months and try again.
The next Euros that doesn't have a confirmed venue is in 2014, we still might not have a good enough venue by then but all we can do is our best.

We simply wanted to offer you guys the opportunity of running on this awesome surface, bear with us, we wont get it right first time and we have a lot to learn. There is clearly demand for a clay track in the UK judging by the feedback we've had, commitment from our tyre partners Pro-Line, the staggering amount of entries to the oOple race already and the number of people who have contacted me about our first 'open day' in June (details TBC) - this shakedown event will hopefully give us the information to get the surface in order for the oOple Invernational 6 weeks after. The point is the bare bones are there - the hard bit was kickstarting, funding, planning and tieing everything together to get the whole project off the ground - we have to start somewhere! Hopefully it will grow and improve and perhaps oneday we can house the facility indoors.

Bear with the inevitable mistakes we will make, if we don't get it right first time then don't write the venue off - we will learn and improve for the following event and so on..
Reply With Quote
  #110  
Old 08-03-2012
Col's Avatar
Col Col is offline
Awesome Admin
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: York
Posts: 4,314
Send a message via AIM to Col
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by James View Post
bit of 'slip'
I like slipage
Reply With Quote
  #111  
Old 08-03-2012
cmgreen's Avatar
cmgreen cmgreen is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Gods Country-Tyne & Wear
Posts: 837
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by James View Post
We went to astro so we could race week in, week out in a much greater range of weather for a longer season. Clearly a clay track will never be able to offer this - we have an all-weather astroturf track 40 feet away from our new dirt venue for that. What it does offer is an experience currently not freely available in the UK and clay really is a great, fun, challenging surface to race on which has the advantage over astro of the bit of 'slip' so we can include more 'moulded' jumps.
Its not going to be everyones cup of tea and we will for sure make lots of mistakes in our construction and management, but given time we will know how to manage the surface correctly and hopefully be able to offer a top class facility. I tried for a long period, in vain to gain planning permission to put a roof over the venue. We have a few other projects on the go but I will come back to this perhaps in around 18months and try again.
The next Euros that doesn't have a confirmed venue is in 2014, we still might not have a good enough venue by then but all we can do is our best.

We simply wanted to offer you guys the opportunity of running on this awesome surface, bear with us, we wont get it right first time and we have a lot to learn. There is clearly demand for a clay track in the UK judging by the feedback we've had, commitment from our tyre partners Pro-Line, the staggering amount of entries to the oOple race already and the number of people who have contacted me about our first 'open day' in June (details TBC) - this shakedown event will hopefully give us the information to get the surface in order for the oOple Invernational 6 weeks after. The point is the bare bones are there - the hard bit was kickstarting, funding, planning and tieing everything together to get the whole project off the ground - we have to start somewhere! Hopefully it will grow and improve and perhaps oneday we can house the facility indoors.

Bear with the inevitable mistakes we will make, if we don't get it right first time then don't write the venue off - we will learn and improve for the following event and so on..
__________________
'There are two choices in life-Take it or leave it !'

Schumacher
Airhead Graphics
http://www.fairfueluk.com/
Reply With Quote
  #112  
Old 08-03-2012
moth898's Avatar
moth898 moth898 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Canada
Posts: 585
Default

Off road is in origin supposed to be on dirt. I built a astro track in Canada to try so I have experience with both. They both have good and bad points. Astro is cleaner faster no maintenace and easier to get a perfect run on. Dirt is dirtier, slower and the track is harder to maintain, but I will tell you this. Dirt racing is so much more satisfying. The track will change during the day due to weather, the line could get rutted. So you have to be on the ball. The only problem I forsee is the control tire the track wants. Hole shots are great, but not great all the time. It will be interesting to se how you guys handle it. Have fun.
__________________
SHUMACHER CAT SX
SHUMACHER COUGAR SV
Reply With Quote
  #113  
Old 15-07-2012
James's Avatar
James James is online now
RHR RACING
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Worksop/Blyth Tracks Nottinghamshire
Posts: 2,354
Send a message via MSN to James
Default

No thanks to the British summer, all the many hours of hard work are starting to take shape for the oOple Invernational in 2 weeks time - at RHRD
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2606.jpg (389.8 KB, 217 views)
Reply With Quote
  #114  
Old 15-07-2012
GRIFF55 GRIFF55 is offline
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Sunny South West Wales
Posts: 4,810
Default

That looks bloody superb guys! Big well done from me!
__________________
~ICON-RC~ATOMIC CARBON~LMR~TONISPORT~NUCLEAR RC~
Reply With Quote
  #115  
Old 15-07-2012
jimmy's Avatar
jimmy jimmy is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Huddersfield
Posts: 9,949
Blog Entries: 6
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by James View Post
No thanks to the British summer, all the many hours of hard work are starting to take shape for the oOple Invernational in 2 weeks time - at RHRD
That looks superb James!
Sorry I've not been down this weekend - my shoulder is now badgered up
__________________
If your PM doesn't at first succeed - try, try again. I'll reply in the end, honest.
Reply With Quote
  #116  
Old 15-07-2012
Col's Avatar
Col Col is offline
Awesome Admin
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: York
Posts: 4,314
Send a message via AIM to Col
Default

Awesome.
No other words come close
Reply With Quote
  #117  
Old 15-07-2012
brooksy's Avatar
brooksy brooksy is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Somewhere between Sheffield and Worksop!.
Posts: 672
Default

Looking good James.
Reply With Quote
  #118  
Old 15-07-2012
MikePimlott's Avatar
MikePimlott MikePimlott is offline
Mad Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Manchester
Posts: 1,717
Default

That looks absoloutly fantastic.

Well done all involved, fooking awesome

Shame im not doing oOple
Reply With Quote
  #119  
Old 15-07-2012
MHeadling's Avatar
MHeadling MHeadling is online now
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 3,674
Default

Looks awesome!

Well done to all involved, this is on my list of tracks to race on, now to eBay to find a rear motor car! Lol
__________________

www.rccarshop.co.uk
Reply With Quote
  #120  
Old 15-07-2012
Northy's Avatar
Northy Northy is offline
oOple Contributor
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Malton, North Yorkshire - Gods Country
Posts: 8,215
Blog Entries: 15
Default

Why not mike?
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 07:46 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
oOple.com