Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Events & Venues > CLUB TALK > Bedfordshire RC Model Car Club

Old 05-03-2012

Default Setup day straw pole

Hey All

A thought - how about hiring the hall for a day (sat or Sun) for letting people turn up and test out their setup and tweak cars with no arranged races. There never seems time to do this with a busy race schedule. Be useful for helping out new members too.

No reason to not have the odd race but mainly use it to tweak and learn.
Old 05-03-2012

If members are happy to pay £5 on an evening without any formulated racing, in other words the chance to tweak and trial, tweak and trial, then I'm happy to set aside one of our Monday night meetings for this.

What do you think?
Racing RC Cars every Friday in Bromham, Bedfordshire
Join us on facebook: www.facebook.com/bedsrcmcc | Follow us on twitter: www.twitter.com/#bedsrcmcc

Current car I race:
Schumacher SupaStox : Hobbywing XERUN V3.1 ESC | Thunder Power Racing 13.5 Motor | Futaba 2.4GHz | Intellect LiPo
Old 05-03-2012

Sounds like an excellent idea, count me in...
Old 05-03-2012

We have a Monday meeting before the 1st Round of the Spring Championships which seem like the best option to us.

Monday 16 April

The only other Monday meeting between now and then is on 19 March, but we are keeping that free for those who want to come along and test out their 'lights' for the Friday 'lights out' meeting on the same week. We will have a normal race meeting on this Monday, but will probably run a couple of the races in the dark for those who wish to test out the cars
Join us on facebook: www.facebook.com/bedsrcmcc | Follow us on twitter: www.twitter.com/#bedsrcmcc

Current car I race:
Schumacher SupaStox : Hobbywing XERUN V3.1 ESC | Thunder Power Racing 13.5 Motor | Futaba 2.4GHz | Intellect LiPo
Old 06-03-2012

Default Test day

I don't mind which. Just though a separate day or morning or similar would be easier. No idea of cost but may be worth asking. Whatever the majority feel :-)
Old 06-03-2012

It would be nice to see something done on a weekend as the Monday nights are not practical for all
Old 06-03-2012

I don't know how the numbers would add up, but is it possible that we have the hall from say 9am and setup and have 2-3 hours of practice or setup time then a racemeeting after and finish by about 3-4 in the afternoon?

Would probably need a lot of people there and would cost a bit extra over a normal race meeting but might be worth it?
Old 06-03-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by hashiriya View Post
I don't know how the numbers would add up, but is it possible that we have the hall from say 9am and setup and have 2-3 hours of practice or setup time then a racemeeting after and finish by about 3-4 in the afternoon?

Would probably need a lot of people there and would cost a bit extra over a normal race meeting but might be worth it?
Let me have a word with the hall regards to cost and I'll get back to you...

Current car I race:
Old 06-03-2012

id be well up for this, be good chance to learn how different settings affect the car etc..
Old 06-03-2012

I am really hoping it's possible to do this on a sunday as I work saturday morning which would prevent me from attending. Mondays are also a not possible for me...

I vote for sunday all day!
Old 07-03-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by colinpearce90 View Post
It would be nice to see something done on a weekend as the Monday nights are not practical for all
Me as well.
Old 10-03-2012

Just a point to note this thread has now had 114 views it looks like unless people start speaking up on here this day may not happen due to lack of interest so please if we want this to happen lets let it be known here
Old 10-03-2012

I agree that unless there is a clear commitment from quite a lot of people that a weekend practice session would not be worthwhile.

I am not sure it is necessary though, we have 2 mondays and 2 fridays between now and the start of the next champs to play with setups, we could dedicate all of those meetings to setup rounds. We dont need a whole monday night to test if the lights work on your car! suggest use this as an outright test session and turn the lights off for 10 minutes at some point....

Also, a lot of the time the best development on your car will come from just talking to people in the pits at any race meeting - find someone who seems to have their car going quite well, examine it, compare it to yours, quiz them to death, suggestively place your car on their pit bench for them to give it the once over. You can develop your car far more and learn more in 10 to 15 minutes doing this than all day having a practice session, doing trial and error.

Please also respect that the committee who run the club already give up a lot of their time and energy to make the racing happen on the Fridays and Mondays and asking them to facilitate a weekend meet as well is not necessarily fair on them, especially if there is not a big turn out.

Another option for anyone really keen to get in some track time at the weekend is to pop along to milton keynes club (in Wolverton) on a sunday morning. Really friendly bunch and a wealth of knowledge, especially with the TC's.

We talked at the AGM about putting together a setup/ build guide for the mardave, I started something but need make the time to finish and would like to get input from others. James Garrett from the Risby club (see other thread re invite to their meeting this Sunday) has put together an excellent guide on how to build the Mardave CE chassis. He has kindly said we can distribute it within the club. I will forward to Scott to make a download available on the BedsRCMCC website. Note that even if you have the standard chassis, there is some excellent advice in this.

Paul
Old 10-03-2012

Paul, I think you've hit the nail on the head. We've run 'setup' meetings before and all that happens is that everyone spends loads of time running round and round a track and by the end of the evening, nothing has really changed on their car.

As you say, we learn more by just talking to other drivers and the fact there has not been a huge push from all the members, I'd suggest that those who want to know more start asking more questions from those at the front

Like you say, we can all learn something new and spreading the word is easy to do. I for one have always had an issue with my Xray drive shafts as the small pins work loose and then pop-out, shredding the hub carriers!!! I've found a neat solution and have mentioned it to Matt and Keith to help them too.

I was also chatting to Mark this week about cells and letting him know what I've been doing to get the best out of my cells. At the end of the day we do this for fun, so I think we should all be able to chat to each other and gain some insights into how we can all make our cars run smoother

It's all about not being afraid to ask. This is another reason why we should be using this forum more. If you have a technical question and feel uneasy about approaching people on a race night because they look busy, then post it here.

I will post that guide up on our site once I've got some spare time this week for those of you running Mardave CE chassis

Current car I race:
Old 10-03-2012

Default Setup day

Interesting thoughts all round.

The suggestion wasn't just for a setup day but also practice. We no longer have practice time as its now so busy - no issue there. However, for people to try new lines or just practice with race pressures seemed like a good thing. Ali and I are happy to be there for the period and organise the track. No need for timing kit to be on. The idea was to get a price and see how people feel. E.g if a Sunday from 10 till 4 is £70 we only need 14 people at £5 each to run it. No commitment needed for anyone that doesn't want to. A comment was made at Fridays meet by a young member that they never get a chance to practice now. All he needs is someone to stand with him and show him different lines.......

Just ideas to help people
Old 10-03-2012

Points noted Andy

However, if I'm honest, when we did have time for the track to be open for practice before we raced I can assure you all that happened was people drove around and around because they could!

I'm coming around to Paul's way of thinking - more can be achieved through chatting and helping each other out during an evening of racing. Hopefully between Championships (and excluding the night race) where there is no pressure to push for a win, some of the more experienced drivers can lend a hand and offer advice to the younger ones.

Having said that, I've always tried to explain to the younger drivers about driving slower = more laps due to them not crashing all the time.

However when they stand on the rostrum and the race starts, that all goes out the window!!

I like to tell the new members that they should focus on their own laps times. If they can improve their times throughout the evening from heat to heat, irrespective of where they are overall, then that is a great step forward. It's all about personal goals. That's what I've tried to instil into Luke for instance.

The other aspect of a members race craft is also about dealing with faster cars coming through and just being aware of everyone around them. Of course accidents happen that's all part of racing.

To be honest, the standard of driving is getting better all the time, you only have to look back through the results to see how close things are and not just at the top of the classes. It's close all the way through.

Current car I race:
Old 12-03-2012

I'd like to say a ocuple things to add to this.

Driving practice with specific targets and achievements can gain you a lot. Driving around just because you can will gain you less but it's still a gain. more time on track = better driving = better times thats a simple fact of RC racing. Why should we deny the opportunity for those who just want more track time to be able to get this?

Without disrespect, there are a few club members who would beenfit more from driving technique coaching than setup help because their driving is not yet at a standard where setup is critical. What they need is coaching not at the pit table but on the rostrum.

I'm happy to take this project on with the Brasteds if the committee can allow. We simply ask for you to get a price on the hall and some possible available dates, we can do the rest. I'll committ to being there just to help out with setup/driving and other general things if it goes ahead.
Old 12-03-2012

Quote:

I think this would be a good option,

Depending on hall hire costs, have a price for if you just want to come and practice/set up in the morning, just race in the afternoon, or do both.

Maybe do it in between championships, one Sunday, and don’t have a race meeting on the Friday/Monday so it doesn’t get to much.
Old 12-03-2012

Quote:
Why should we deny the opportunity for those who just want more track time to be able to get this?

Without disrespect, there are a few club members who would beenfit more from driving technique coaching than setup help because their driving is not yet at a standard where setup is critical. What they need is coaching not at the pit table but on the rostrum.
Maz

No-one is denying anyone any opportunity, I am as keen as anyone to have more opportunity for running. I am saying that there needs to be a clear commitment from people to make it worthwhile. I am also pointing out that there are loads of other ways to learn and improve and that track time with a basket case of a car is wasted time.

I have to disagree with what you said regarding peoples driving not being up to standard to make setup critical. A car that has a basic balanced setup is a fundamental for anyone trying to develop their driving, you cant learn good lines etc if you have a car that you are constantly battling to get around the track and that is exactly the situation for 3 of the people I was helping out last Friday. Half the time people are driving around car issues, compensating for the car doing things it shouldn't be doing.

Fair play to Andy and Maz for taking the lead on making this happen. Bear in mind that there a lot of members who dont read the forum, so suggest you canvas opinion this Friday. If we do an event at the weekend I will make every effort to come along to support it but Sundays are generally a no-no for me.

Cheers
Paul
Old 12-03-2012

I understand your point Paul and I don't disagree with you. I was simply trying to say that simple driving practice could be of benefit to people. A day like the proposed would be a very good opportunity to find out whether it is setup or driving that needs the work.

Lets see if the numbers come up and then see if we can generate enough interest to make it viable.