Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > 1/10th OFF ROAD

Old 06-04-2012

Default Newbie

Very new to this but definitely want to get more into this, have just got the FTX vantage an after advice on makin in it race worthy, ordered the ezrun 9t combo with 35a ESC, as a 1st timer all I thought about was speed an dunno if I'm goin down the rite route?
Old 07-04-2012
Awesome Admin

Send a message via AIM to Col

That esc isn't upto the job, esp in a 4WD I'm afraid.

I'd be looking at the 60amp at least, ideally the 120amp.

The 9t (sensorless?) is a pretty good starting point, but be prepared to "upgrade" in a few months - 99.9% of racers use sensored systems to improve response and driveability.
Old 07-04-2012

By sensored do u mean brushed?
Old 07-04-2012
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

No. Brushless motors and escs come in two types - sensorless and sensored. It all has to do with the way the esc detects where the motor currently is in its rotation.

The Ezrun system is sensorless. This is a simpler and cheaper system, that is also a little more efficient too - virtually all non-racing systems are sensorless. They work fine at high speeds, but have a weakness at lower speeds where the esc can get 'confused' and cause the car to stutter (cog).

Sensored systems use an extra wire (the sensor lead) and something called a Hall Sensor on the motor to give the esc precise information about what the motor is doing. The extra circuitry makes them more expensive, and the sensor leads are quite vulnerable especially to water so these systems aren't as robust as sensorless ones which is why they are normally only used in racing. However, on the track they are smoother and offer much better control, especially around tighter corners so most racers use them.

The Ezrun system you have is fine in a 2wd car, but both the motor and esc struggle in 4wds. Struggle in this case means 'gets very hot' which might cause you problems. When I tried that setup in a 4wd car is was great for 4 mins or so, but overheated and shut down just before the end of the race - very frustrating! There was no lasting damage but if you can't finish the race its not much use. Switching to the 60A version solved that issue.

Yz4 - Yz2
DEX210 - Cobra 4210- DEX410
RC10 Team - Manta Ray -
RC10T
Mini Trophy - Blizzard - Wheely King
Tz4 - GT24B

BMRCC
Emergency back-up race controller
(but only if nobody better is available)
Old 07-04-2012

Best option for the minute then would to upgrade the esc to 60a an things should b ok, is there an combo u could recommend for around the £100 mark for a 4wd?
Old 07-04-2012

That's sensored?