View Full Version : Kyosho Turbo Optima
DanB4
14-05-2012, 07:10 PM
Well, I started working on the 1st restore of my collection today, the Turbo Optima. There'll be a Lazer ZX-R and Original Ultima joining her soon, en route from various places.
Car is in great condition, transmission and shocks are smooth and the original 240S motor is in there for display (still have to fit the brushes).
I'm going to get all the alloy polished soon and haven't fitted the adjustable collars on the gold shocks yet but have them here.
Also have the period Novak ESC but not sure whether to fit it. May just have the motor installed.
What do you think?
Dan :cool:
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y260/SDRCC/Kyosho%20Turbo%20Optima/20120514_223204.jpg
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y260/SDRCC/Kyosho%20Turbo%20Optima/20120514_223235.jpg
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y260/SDRCC/Kyosho%20Turbo%20Optima/20120514_223215.jpg
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y260/SDRCC/Kyosho%20Turbo%20Optima/20120514_223246.jpg
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y260/SDRCC/Kyosho%20Turbo%20Optima/20120514_210642.jpg
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y260/SDRCC/Kyosho%20Turbo%20Optima/20120514_223316.jpg
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y260/SDRCC/Kyosho%20Turbo%20Optima/20120514_224041.jpg
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y260/SDRCC/Kyosho%20Turbo%20Optima/20120514_224143.jpg
wes j.
14-05-2012, 08:21 PM
Very nice :wub.
Naushad
14-05-2012, 09:05 PM
Looks vintage
Looks great!
I'd love to see it in action.
DanB4
15-05-2012, 03:04 AM
Thanks lads
Jamesk
15-05-2012, 02:55 PM
I have my Mid in bits aswell, and the new bearings arrived today, rebuild should start this week.
jK
Naushad
15-05-2012, 05:08 PM
Get an undertray!
terry.sc
15-05-2012, 07:18 PM
Get an undertray!
They don't come with one.
The only Optima that came with an undertray was the Optima Pro, and that was only because it used underbody aerodynamics.
Although the Turbo Optima should have a metal underguard on the chassis.
j0pp3
16-05-2012, 09:17 AM
I love the Turbo Optima! My first real RC as a kid :wub It looks like in pretty good shape too.
Cheers
Naushad
16-05-2012, 09:40 AM
Well you can probably get one..
Team bluegroove do one for the Optima mid SE. I'm guessing you could make it fit.
They don't come with one.
The only Optima that came with an undertray was the Optima Pro, and that was only because it used underbody aerodynamics.
Although the Turbo Optima should have a metal underguard on the chassis.
DanB4
16-05-2012, 10:07 AM
I love the Turbo Optima! My first real RC as a kid :wub It looks like in pretty good shape too.
Cheers
Thanks!
How best to clean up the wheels and the scratched underside of the gearbox cover?
I'm going to strip it down and get the metal polished.
j0pp3
16-05-2012, 11:01 AM
Thanks!
How best to clean up the wheels and the scratched underside of the gearbox cover?
I'm going to strip it down and get the metal polished.
I would try water and fine sandpaper carefully. If that does not help I would try find a new box on ebay. Even with the metal underguard fitted that part is "naked" :blush:
DanB4
16-05-2012, 11:12 AM
I would try water and fine sandpaper carefully. If that does not help I would try find a new box on ebay. Even with the metal underguard fitted that part is "naked" :blush:
On the wheels too and then re-paint them?
Thanks
DanB4
16-05-2012, 02:06 PM
Think I've sourced some new white wheels from the USA :)
j0pp3
16-05-2012, 07:09 PM
Here you have a set of OT-1 Gear Box http://www.ebay.com/itm/Kyosho-OT-1-Gear-Box-Optima-Javelin-Salute-Turbo-OT1-/300376248689?pt=UK_ToysGames_RadioControlled_JN&hash=item45efd1d171 :thumbsup:
(http://www.ebay.com/itm/Kyosho-OT-1-Gear-Box-Optima-Javelin-Salute-Turbo-OT1-/300376248689?pt=UK_ToysGames_RadioControlled_JN&hash=item45efd1d171)
j0pp3
16-05-2012, 07:11 PM
Think I've sourced some new white wheels from the USA :)
Goodie :wub
oli4ke
16-05-2012, 08:02 PM
Think I've sourced some new white wheels from the USA :)
how much did you payed for? 1 or 2 kidneys:confused:;)
DanB4
17-05-2012, 06:42 AM
how much did you payed for? 1 or 2 kidneys:confused:;)
$50 shipped.....decent price?
DanB4
17-05-2012, 06:50 AM
Here you have a set of OT-1 Gear Box http://www.ebay.com/itm/Kyosho-OT-1-Gear-Box-Optima-Javelin-Salute-Turbo-OT1-/300376248689?pt=UK_ToysGames_RadioControlled_JN&hash=item45efd1d171 :thumbsup:
(http://www.ebay.com/itm/Kyosho-OT-1-Gear-Box-Optima-Javelin-Salute-Turbo-OT1-/300376248689?pt=UK_ToysGames_RadioControlled_JN&hash=item45efd1d171)
Bought! :cool:
oli4ke
17-05-2012, 07:24 AM
$50 shipped.....decent price?
If they are brand new in orignal packaging than it's cheap!!!
j0pp3
17-05-2012, 07:54 AM
Yes, nice price! :)
DanB4
17-05-2012, 10:22 AM
Still searching for the chassis underguard
daveyboi1973
17-05-2012, 10:47 AM
A shot in the dark but could this be trimmed to fit?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/KYOSHO-OPTIMA-PRO-UNDERTRAY-COWL-VERSION-2-/150787556816?pt=Radio_Control_Vehicles&hash=item231ba385d0
DanB4
17-05-2012, 11:50 AM
Hi Dave,
Thanks but this is what I'm needing:
http://joppis.dyndns.org/turbo_optima/build34.jpg
oli4ke
17-05-2012, 12:52 PM
Hi Dave,
Thanks but this is what I'm needing:
http://joppis.dyndns.org/turbo_optima/build34.jpg
To find OT-71 NIB you need a lot of luck :thumbdown:......good luck :thumbsup:
DanB4
17-05-2012, 09:37 PM
It's now 1.30am here and just finished the shell.....
I'm not a good painter at all and only had aerosol cans but I think it turned out ok :)
DanB4
18-05-2012, 07:10 AM
Will look alright with new white wheels.....maybe I could also paint these ones and revitalise them?
Naushad
18-05-2012, 08:16 AM
Looks excellent dan..nice old skool colours
j0pp3
18-05-2012, 09:52 AM
Looks sweet! I have never got into it yet... I have had my clear body and decals for months. Think I am a coward when it comes to paint more than one-color-bodies :(
DanB4
31-05-2012, 06:26 PM
As close to box art as little old me can do! Now to put it in the display cabinet :)
j0pp3
01-06-2012, 09:25 PM
Here you go mate! :wub
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-KYOSHO-OT-20-MAIN-CHASSIS-750-r-c-car-Turbo-Optima-/380444168724?pt=Radio_Control_Vehicles&hash=item58943d5214
DanB4
02-06-2012, 05:03 AM
Cheers, does that have OT-71 with it?
Jamesk
03-06-2012, 07:35 PM
I have been busy with my dremmel and the polishing wheel. This is a racing rebuild and will not be a shelf queen, ive only replaced the bearings and fitted a new alloy floor plate as the fiberglass original was very weak with a few cracks. The shocks have had new o rings and fresh oil added and all parts are just cleaned up and freed off, must say the car has held up very well better than my Avante i rebuilt earlier this year.
I have ordered a new body from Marwan today but undecided on a colour scheme.
j0pp3
04-06-2012, 05:47 PM
Cheers, does that have OT-71 with it?
As I can see in the picture there is an chassis underguard included.
j0pp3
04-06-2012, 05:48 PM
I have been busy with my dremmel and the polishing wheel. This is a racing rebuild and will not be a shelf queen, ive only replaced the bearings and fitted a new alloy floor plate as the fiberglass original was very weak with a few cracks. The shocks have had new o rings and fresh oil added and all parts are just cleaned up and freed off, must say the car has held up very well better than my Avante i rebuilt earlier this year.
I have ordered a new body from Marwan today but undecided on a colour scheme.
Very nice car and well done polishing the parts. But, did you not post in the wrong thread? :o :wub
Jamesk
04-06-2012, 08:26 PM
D oh
jK
vBulletin® v3.8.7, Copyright ©2000-2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.