PDA

View Full Version : Rounded Screw heads


Wassy
24-05-2012, 12:12 PM
HELP!!:confused:

I have managed to round one of the heads on my B44.1. It is one of the 4 screws that hold the centre spur gear in place..... one of the inner ones that go into the blue motor/gear mount.

Now I have tried to deremel a grove into the screw to remove but with no luck and its pretty much done...... anyone got any tips!

I have a feeling though it might buggered!

Thanks

jaysllim
24-05-2012, 12:35 PM
Last resort get ur dremmel,put a pointy cone grinder on it nd carefully grind the head of it,then wen its out carefully get a pair of pliers nd undo the threaded stud thats left,best thing I can think off, soz if its not much help.

estebandonde
24-05-2012, 12:56 PM
Try putting a drill bit on it, but set the drill to run backwards, sometimes this does it

If not , drill the bolt until the head comes off then just push it through the hole

If not, drill a tiny hole (it may take a bit of time and 3 or 4 drill bits) in the bolt itself and then screw a screw into it and then undo it------ps the top 2 answers normally work before you get to this one

HTH

Good luck

Wassy
24-05-2012, 01:02 PM
Thanks Lads,

I will try the first one.....

Another problem is, i think it happened in the first place is the screw had thread lock on it...... Or should I say super glue :lol:

mattybucks
24-05-2012, 01:18 PM
Thanks Lads,

I will try the first one.....

Another problem is, i think it happened in the first place is the screw had thread lock on it...... Or should I say super glue :lol:
Heat the screw up using a soldering iron, and follow Steve's guide, he knows what he's doing :thumbsup:

ben
24-05-2012, 01:59 PM
Bit of a faff but remove all the other screws in the top deck which ever one it is, then remove the bottom motor mount screws to remove the top deck mount/motor mount with the top deck still attached.
You should then be able to twist the top deck round whilst holding the motor mount and hopefully the screw head should bite on the top deck and unscrew?

HTH Ben

ben
24-05-2012, 02:40 PM
I would also highly reccomend this:
http://www.cmldistribution.co.uk/cml_product.php?range=RACING&productId=0000002892

The tips are a really good fit in the associated screw heads. And at £12 for all the drivers you need for the B44 it's a bargain!

Ben

Wassy
24-05-2012, 02:52 PM
Thanks Ben, funnierly enough it was your car..... :lol:

Can you remember if they had thread lock in the middle....

Thank you

ben
24-05-2012, 04:30 PM
Thanks Ben, funnierly enough it was your car..... :lol:

Can you remember if they had thread lock in the middle....

Thank you

Oh great :lol:
Haha no they would'nt of had thread lock on. Learnt not to put it on them ones for this exact reason :blush:
Did you manage to get it out?