View Full Version : Batteries
Jamie B4
30-04-2008, 09:07 PM
BECAREFUL East Power Batties have to be 08 revised bought some off Losi Parts House and found they are not legal
matdodd
30-04-2008, 09:10 PM
were they not lised as 08 spec cells then mate?
Jamie B4
30-04-2008, 09:20 PM
They were originally listed as BRCA and EFRA legal but when they came there was no 08 stamped on them - and then slingshot said oops - a friend gave us the item number but apparently the list was updated later
GRIFF55
30-04-2008, 09:22 PM
so where do you stand if you bought ep45's, that are now 'not legal'??
neiloliver
30-04-2008, 09:27 PM
Please dont anyone get East Power and Etang Power (E-4500 cell which is a nice sky blue colour) mixed up! The E4500 is perfectly legal.. as is the ***08*** version of the red/black east power cell
Neil
Jamie B4
30-04-2008, 09:31 PM
Spot on Neil - the only thing I am warning about is that you need to make sure that the East power red and black cells have a 08 stamped on them as shown on the web site
matdodd
30-04-2008, 09:40 PM
So your back o no cells again then :(
Jamie B4
30-04-2008, 09:43 PM
Oh yes just not destine to race this year !!!!!!!!!!!!!
ashleyb4
30-04-2008, 09:45 PM
Unlucky Jamie :(
A
RogerM
30-04-2008, 10:43 PM
I am sure any decent UK vendor would sell you legal cells no problem.
My recomendation would be Stormforce Racing (my cells are awesome, thanks Neil), failing that then CML sourced SMCs will be a safe bet.
I am afraid that I can have no sympathy at all for people who buy outside the UK and get stiffed.....
Jamie B4
01-05-2008, 09:06 AM
Where do you think kyosho's are made - eventually if you trace back everything comes or certain aspects come from abroad cos that is the way of the world. Not saying it the uk shops but abroad is twice as cheap.
Kopite
01-05-2008, 11:25 AM
I am afraid that I can have no sympathy at all for people who buy outside the UK and get stiffed.....
bit of a stupid thing to say really
RLGfx
01-05-2008, 11:42 AM
Jamie,
If you're still stuck for the next national, you can borrow my cells for 2wd again mate. BTW your body is ready, i'll bring it to kiddy on sunday.
jim76
01-05-2008, 11:45 AM
not really. things are cheaper abroad but you have no warranty or returns available (with out considerable postage expense)
For things like cells which are under close scrutiny this year it is far safer to source them in the UK so if there is an issue you can take them back. Shops in Hong Kong or the US don't have to abide by the BRCA EB list so it's no wonder they are still getting rid of last years cells!
Jamie B4
01-05-2008, 11:47 AM
Robin you got pm
Jamie B4
01-05-2008, 11:50 AM
Actually the shop in qusetion was awesome and do state that most of their cells are BRCA legal-I was just unlucky and wanted to make sure everyone in nationals was aware as it would be gutting to go to scrutineering just to be turned back
RogerM
01-05-2008, 12:31 PM
bit of a stupid thing to say really
Why?
Have you thought this through? :mad:
If people continue to buy abroad all the racing based shops will struggle ... some will close .... probably the smaller ones that support at the trackside!!
And what about those racers that need that trackside support as they don't have the resources to carry 50 pairs of tires and 5 full sets of spares to every meeting with them?
Then what will we all do:confused: Good luck buying a set of schumy yellows from Hong Kong on the cheap between events let alone sorting yourself out trackside when you get through twice as many sets as normal on an important race day!
The other thing is that the guys running the racing based shops often have a big part to play in keeping regional / local racing going by the part they play in clubs and enouraging new blood into the sport!!!
So based on that the logical conclusion is less racing meaning that not only do you have to go to Hong Kong or the USA to buy your equipment but also to race it.
As for the Kyosho comment above I know they are from the other side of the world but all my spares come into the UK via the official importers (FDL) and a UK registered model shop (Dc Racing). It is possible to do. As for price it's not actually that much different.
Look at the price of an RB5 or ZX5-SP kit in the UK and in the USA. Do the currency conversion, factory in insured rapid shipping and the duty / VAT you will be paying when it comes into the UK and what have you saved? Not much! Is the saving worth it if you then have to also go to the USA for a spare part due to very few UK stockists supporting the car because they have never sold a kit? Definately not!!!!!
markwilliamson2001
01-05-2008, 12:41 PM
As a paying racer,
Have to agree with Rog here..
I have never grey imported anything, and have had no problems whatsoever returning items!
Keep it in the UK!
Kopite
01-05-2008, 12:51 PM
It was the way you worded it, saying that he deserved to be stiffed. I found that to be uncalled for. I bet you wouldn't say that to his face :thumbdown:
markwilliamson2001
01-05-2008, 12:52 PM
Yeah, but you have to be cruel to be kind :thumbsup:... sometimes!
c0sie
01-05-2008, 01:03 PM
It was the way you worded it, saying that he deserved to be stiffed. I found that to be uncalled for. I bet you wouldn't say that to his face :thumbdown:
For once, im behind Rog.
And where does he say that someone deserves to be screwed over :confused:
Roger,
Schumacher are not going to close because some choose to shop abroad for cells/kits etc.
Im sure 90% of the people on here, buy from a local shop or a uk shop over the net.
But to be honest if i was buying a radio or a kit i would be looking at the US or long dong as there are big savings to be had and personally i prefer the cash to be in my pocket than give it away. Call me a minge if you want:lol:)
If you look at the price of a B44 for instance you can pick them up for £150 in the US. Nobody in the UK comes close even when you take into account tax etc etc.
Im pretty sure the shops make a bigger margin of profit from the consumable items and spares etc than they do from kit sales. I know of shops who have bought abroad because it was cheaper than buying off uk distributors:)
My conclusion is, you talk out of your ring quite a lot :D
Kopite
01-05-2008, 01:14 PM
cheers Lee, i was just going to post that!! LOL
Jamie has just created this thread to warn people about those cells, which is good of him. For people to then say that they have no sympathy for his predicament is really pointless. Maybe you could create a thread somewhere else saying 'why i'm always right'?
:thumbdown:
GRIFF55
01-05-2008, 01:32 PM
Call me a minge if you want:lol:)
MINGE!!! LOL Only joking, i haven't heard (or seen:o) that for years:lol::lol:
Everyone loves a minge :thumbsup:
ashleyb4
01-05-2008, 01:56 PM
i buy from the US and hong kong for a reason if i didnt i couldt afford to race i wouldnt be able to run both classes. If i could only run one class i would get bored and leave. I support the Uk by entering uk events. I do use uk shops most of thwe time but when it comes to parts that are either hard to get or are stupidly exspensive in the uk i wont pay uk prices.
A
i buy from the US and hong kong for a reason i am a minge as well and i wont pay uk prices.
A
Edited your post ash :thumbsup:
Keep it simple mate :lol:
Im a minge too :thumbsup: i get 90% of me gear overseas, its not illegal ok its bad for the local modelshops i do feel for them. But when that b*****d Gordon Brown puts tax on everything some people like me, cant afford to pay the uk inflated prices..
Moral of the story is blame the f****** goverment........
Im not bitter just sick of being raped by the tax man.
andy05
01-05-2008, 03:42 PM
What happens if at the time jamie ordered his cells no uk shops had cells in stock(some "team" drivers couldnt get any as on other threads). What do you do then not race a national because you dont want to buy from the states? Befor people start saying you had 3 mounths to order cells. You are not guarnteed entry if a lower f grade. Infact alot of people where saying f4&5 drivers wouldnt get in this year. So once you recived your entry pack you had around 3 weeks to get cells.
CAClark
01-05-2008, 03:43 PM
|You're damned if you do, and damned if you don't. Buying at home or over seas has merit on both sides, and if someone can only afford to race by purchasing overseas, better that than loose a significant number of folks from the racing scene?
Northy
01-05-2008, 03:54 PM
I know of a guy whos nick name is "Billy Minge" :D
G
stegger
01-05-2008, 04:17 PM
All the money Lee has and he's still a MINGE:woot:
Northy
01-05-2008, 04:21 PM
Well, he looks a bit like one.... :lol:
G
RLGfx
01-05-2008, 04:29 PM
mmmmmmmmm..... minge......:drool:
markwilliamson2001
01-05-2008, 04:49 PM
I was looking at Nationals this year, but since the facade regarding batteries, I have had to pull out because the ones I use are not legal, and I cannot afford new ones. This would have made no difference if I had bought cells from overseas or not. I have since decided to 'try' Lipo and am hoping that they will get voted in at the EGM, (I will attend providing it is not too far away).
The point I am making is that it might have been better to miss Nationals this year until the problems with batteries settles down, rather than buy cells overseas to try and get them in time, only to find they are the wrong cells, and are not legal.
Jamie B4
01-05-2008, 05:00 PM
Get real, at the end of the day USA are so far ahead of us with technology that is why we never beat them in major events - it is always China or USA. That is why you have to take your hat off to what Mr Cragg did in the worlds
Get real, at the end of the day USA are so far ahead of us with technology that is why we never beat them in major events - it is always China or USA. That is why you have to take your hat off to what Mr Cragg did in the worlds
Didn't you buy last years batteries from the USA?
Jamie B4
01-05-2008, 09:16 PM
?
Think this is being blown out of proportion all I'm saying is becareful that you buy the right cells - that's it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
neiloliver
01-05-2008, 10:17 PM
Jamie, If you need a set of legal E4500 cells (saddle pack) you can borrow them for Oz. Im not racing this year.
N
RogerM
02-05-2008, 06:12 AM
Firstly ...... Jamie ... thanks for warning people of the potential problem with buying cells abroad. I do hope that you get cells to race at Oz (borrow Neils cells only if you intend on buying some from him ...... he won't mind lending them to you even if you don't intend to buy some from him, Neils a top bloke ..... the problem will be that once you've used his cells you'll never want to use anything else again .... especially when he tells you the prices!!!)
As for the other comments .....
.... I never said anybody deserved to get stung when buying abroad ..... just that I am not supprised when it happens and can not feel any sympathy as the risks should be appreciated before ordering.
.... secondly I always speak as I find and never say anything differently to peoples face than I would over a forum or to a 3rd party. Anybody who knows me well will confirm that.
.... I never suggested Schumacher would fold over night if you bought from abroad ... I said the smaller retailers .... the ones you find trackside.
Jamie B4
02-05-2008, 07:11 AM
Cheers Neil hope you are at Kiddy on sunday
vBulletin® v3.8.7, Copyright ©2000-2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.