View Full Version : B44.1 slipper loosening on own
gazhillAE
06-07-2012, 05:44 AM
Guys
Ive not had this problem before just wondering if anyone can help.
New b44.1 only done 3 meetings, all standard slipper parts other than spur replaced with a jconcepts silent spur and the plates are the hi torque ones.
I adjust the slipper on track before start and it's fine, by the time I've finished it's loosened off again! Don't get me wrong it's not loose enough not to give drive but from a standing start it slips its nads off for 4-6ft!
I've replaced the rubber inside the adjuster but still doing the same thing :thumbdown:
Dudders
06-07-2012, 06:20 AM
Deffo slipper? My rear diff keeps loosening itself and dnt know why!
gazhillAE
06-07-2012, 07:12 AM
Deffo slipper? My rear diff keeps loosening itself and dnt know why!
Replace the white nut the screw goes into its probably warn.
And it's definetly the slipper!
Dudders
06-07-2012, 07:13 AM
Replace the white nut the screw goes into its probably warn.
And it's definetly the slipper!
Is the slipped collar moving? Masure with a vernier.
So you think it's the White bit the long screw goes into?
BeachBuggyPhil
06-07-2012, 07:22 AM
The pads might be glazed from slipping, if you change the diff nut as mentioned ^^^^^^ give the slipper pads a light roughing up with some sand paper as well.
markwilliamson2001
06-07-2012, 08:06 AM
run a little threadlock on the slipper shaft threads...put the nut on, then take back off, then leave overnight to dry.
This will give the thread a small coating of threadlock which will hold it.
Also try the pad roughening technique as mentioned.
:-)
Big G
06-07-2012, 08:47 AM
you could ways pop a grub screw into the hole and lock it down durango style
gazhillAE
06-07-2012, 09:40 AM
you could ways pop a grub screw into the hole and lock it down durango style
That's a good idea!
But I can see it causing issues depending on the size etc
I've never had a problem with any slipper on b44 but this one has got me puzzeled!
Martijn
06-07-2012, 10:08 AM
That's a good idea!
But I can see it causing issues depending on the size etc
I've never had a problem with any slipper on b44 but this one has got me puzzeled!
Maybe it's the spring?
I had this with my B4.1 the spring was to weak..
Dudders
06-07-2012, 10:30 AM
Does the Slipper nut on the B44.1 have a thread in it then?:o
tisher
06-07-2012, 10:39 AM
alright gaz i have had exactly the same problem on my 44.1 did you compress the spring when you first built it? I think this is what causes the problem... the way I got round it was to tighten up the slipper a tad bit more than normal then pack out behind the blue collar with o rings which meant when it started backing off it could only go so far. Not had them problem since. I will be there with the car tonight if you want to have a look:)
Dudders
06-07-2012, 10:48 AM
alright gaz i have had exactly the same problem on my 44.1 did you compress the spring when youi first built it? I think this is what causes the problem... the way I got round it was to tighten up the slipper a tad bit more than normal then pack out behind the blue collar with o rings which meant when it started backing off it could only go so far. Not had them problem since. I will be there with the car tonight if you want to have a look:)
Can you take the slipper assembly out and take a picture dude?
Martijn
06-07-2012, 11:46 AM
alright gaz i have had exactly the same problem on my 44.1 did you compress the spring when youi first built it? I think this is what causes the problem... the way I got round it was to tighten up the slipper a tad bit more than normal then pack out behind the blue collar with o rings which meant when it started backing off it could only go so far. Not had them problem since. I will be there with the car tonight if you want to have a look:)
I had this with my B4.1 too.
You don't want to tighten the spring otherwise you have to screw the nut to far and it will loosen itself... I try to pull the spring back (making it longer) and it was solved. But to be sure I bought an other one...
moth898
06-07-2012, 11:51 AM
Guys
Ive not had this problem before just wondering if anyone can help.
New b44.1 only done 3 meetings, all standard slipper parts other than spur replaced with a jconcepts silent spur and the plates are the hi torque ones.
I adjust the slipper on track before start and it's fine, by the time I've finished it's loosened off again! Don't get me wrong it's not loose enough not to give drive but from a standing start it slips its nads off for 4-6ft!
I've replaced the rubber inside the adjuster but still doing the same thing :thumbdown:
now associated sucks too......:thumbdown:
tisher
06-07-2012, 11:53 AM
Can you take the slipper assembly out and take a picture dude?
no worries can do that for you:)
hit5005
06-07-2012, 02:08 PM
Same with mine bit of lock tight like mark said and its been ok for weeks dident leve it over night just 15 mins
blue_pinky
06-07-2012, 02:43 PM
Same prob here too...bit of thread lock did the trick for me too :thumbsup:
gazhillAE
06-07-2012, 05:27 PM
I had this with my B4.1 too.
You don't want to tighten the spring otherwise you have to screw the nut to far and it will loosen itself... I try to pull the spring back (making it longer) and it was solved. But to be sure I bought an other one...
I've done the thread lock job and it appears to be alot tighter to turn the adjuster now! I remember with my old b44s this adjuster was always very tight!
This one isn't ! I never touched the spring just built it as per all the others I've owned.
So you think the answer may be a new spring???
Gaz
Martijn
06-07-2012, 05:50 PM
I've done the thread lock job and it appears to be alot tighter to turn the adjuster now! I remember with my old b44s this adjuster was always very tight!
This one isn't ! I never touched the spring just built it as per all the others I've owned.
So you think the answer may be a new spring???
Gaz
Well maybe it's solved then..
It's cheap so why won't you try it? :d
gazhillAE
06-07-2012, 06:01 PM
Well maybe it's solved then..
It's cheap so why won't you try it? :d
Il wrench away tomorrow and fit one ;0)
tisher
07-07-2012, 08:25 AM
Can you take the slipper assembly out and take a picture dude?
here you go note the orange orings behind the blue collar I have run like this for a month or so with no issues
http://i908.photobucket.com/albums/ac283/vw1998/001-12.jpg
http://i908.photobucket.com/albums/ac283/vw1998/002-14.jpg
vBulletin® v3.8.7, Copyright ©2000-2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.