PDA

View Full Version : First time to batley


Claspers
01-08-2012, 09:12 PM
Hi, currently running a touring car but looking to buy a 2wd buggy and hopefully come to a club day at batley. What do I need to do to join? Any recommended buggys that you all race there? Thinking maybe dex210 or is that too hot a place to start ? :)

Jabber
01-08-2012, 09:38 PM
would say the 210 is the best 2wd to get to be honest, works straight out of the box and at a decent price.Call down to a meeting first to have a look and speak to people. As for joining the club its dead easy,can be done when you book in to race or if you call down first just see Dianne in race control. New members are always welcome.

AndyG
01-08-2012, 11:25 PM
there's a 210 RTR out soon too - not sure how soon though.

to boot, MB Models have got the 210 kit (non RTR) discounted in August.

Claspers
02-08-2012, 06:32 AM
Cool thanks both. What kind of cost is batley to join do you know? Cheers

Oscar
02-08-2012, 07:18 AM
£8 for the year. You will also need to be a BRCA member, (which you probably already are if racing TC)

Claspers
02-08-2012, 06:49 PM
£8 for the year. You will also need to be a BRCA member, (which you probably already are if racing TC)
perfect. Im a BRCA member yes so Ill pop down either this Sunday to watch or at the club day next Sunday. thanks :)

Oscar
02-08-2012, 07:54 PM
You can also race as a guest the first few times, it's just club members receive a £2 discount on race entry fees ;)

Claspers
02-08-2012, 08:16 PM
thanks John. What are the race fees normally (say for a club day which is what I will be doing to start with)

steveproracing
02-08-2012, 08:23 PM
£5 members £7 non members
The 210 is an awesome car for batley. It works really well. It's popular aswell so plenty of folks with good advice re setup etc. also if u bust it most of us carry spares!!! Come say hello!!

Claspers
04-08-2012, 09:46 PM
Excellent stuff. Bagged a 210 today so I think I'll pop down tomorrow to watch to see how a finished one looks! Will have the little lad in tow so he can learn the ropes one day :) he's only 2 so might be a flying visit!

Claspers
05-08-2012, 05:23 PM
popped down for a little while today to have a look. Looked really good. Some great looking setups being run and really like the track. I didnt get a chance to stay to look at the format of the races (assuming there are classes of racers?). What would you say would be a good entry level motor to gain some experience there with? Currently have a 14t brushless available but the lad I asked briefly suggested its largely brushless around 5t..would that be a good place to start or far too much poke? Im going to be running a 210 btw but its been over 20 years since I last raced. cheers

Claspers
05-08-2012, 05:24 PM
i mean 14t brushed!

Claspers
05-08-2012, 05:28 PM
sorry! one more...got some spare futaba s3003 servos from a tamiya touring car..likely Im going to need to pop something more beefy in or will run of the mill servos do the trick to start? Apologies for asking loads of q but I dont fancy turning up to a club meeting and only be able to put the car in a straight line @ 4mph! wouldnt be a good way to start ;)

aeb4
05-08-2012, 07:12 PM
I wouldn't recommend a motor quite as fast as a 5 turn, I'd say probably an 8.5t would be more suitable.
With regards to the servo, if they are plastic geared you'll probably strip them easily, especially with the 210 not having a servo saver, they'll also be a lot slower than what most people are running, which I found to make a big difference when I upgraded mine shortly after starting racing.

Claspers
05-08-2012, 08:38 PM
thanks aeb, really useful reply. Ill probably go for a lower end metal geared job then and give that a go. With you on the lower range motor, better for me to start solid and if I get better I can always build up the speed later. Cheers.

Oscar
05-08-2012, 08:53 PM
8.5 is more than adequate for 2wd, that's what I run at Batley :)

Servo, it's a good investment if you can afford it spend 30 0r 40 quid on a decent one and it will last you years.

Oscar
05-08-2012, 08:56 PM
I should mention that brushed gear is still competative, especially with today's Lipo cells. The only problem is it's harder work to maintain it with brushes and skimming :thumbdown:

You would be fine with a 14t brushed to start out with.

Claspers
05-08-2012, 09:44 PM
thanks John, thats good to know. I might take my 14t out of my touring car then at least to minimise the initial spend. The esc and lipo are good to go so thats a good plan..Also means I can crack on with the build to get it up and running asap. planning on popping down for that even if its not ready just to have a watch.

Claspers
06-08-2012, 07:32 PM
Any advice on metal servos ? Savox look to be about £50. Any decent mid range options for 20-40 do u think?

AndyG
06-08-2012, 09:15 PM
I use this in my 210....

http://www.rccarshop.co.uk/index.php/radios/servos/savox-sc-1251mg-low-profile.html

£43

Oscar
06-08-2012, 10:06 PM
Any advice on metal servos ? Savox look to be about £50. Any decent mid range options for 20-40 do u think?

If you don't want to stretch to £40, you can get the metal geared Bluebird 631 for around £25 from ebay. I know a couple of people who ran these and they had no issues. Either that or its look out for a second hand KO or Sanwa unit.

neallewis
06-08-2012, 11:07 PM
I use this in my 210....

http://www.rccarshop.co.uk/index.php/radios/servos/savox-sc-1251mg-low-profile.html

£43

Another vote for the savox low profile servo. I have two, they are faultless.

A cheaper alternative might be this:
http://www.modelsport.co.uk/alturn-usa-low-profile-digital-servo-+-tg-high-speed-/rc-car-products/359810
not sure about being used in 2wd buggy, but I've known people use them in GT12 cars and they are ok. I'd consider one if on a budget.

Sturdy
07-08-2012, 12:33 AM
I use an Alturn servo just as fast as a Savox and only £32 from modelsport.

Claspers
07-08-2012, 05:18 PM
Great advice all thank you. Took a punt in the low profile savox. The guy in mb said it isn't as strong as the larger one but for my use and level it sounds perfect. Thanks all. Now the build begins! Will also bob down in Sunday I think to watch the race :) cheers

neallewis
07-08-2012, 05:48 PM
Great advice all thank you. Took a punt in the low profile savox. The guy in mb said it isn't as strong as the larger one but for my use and level it sounds perfect. Thanks all. Now the build begins! Will also bob down in Sunday I think to watch the race :) cheers

Yes they are great in MB.

The low profile savox are perfect for 2wd. It's just in higher torque applications, like 4wd or trucks where you may get problems or gear strips. you'll be fine.

Sunday is a 4wd regional, so only 4wd cars will be running.

The next club meeting is the 19th, so hopefully see you then with your new car built and running.

Claspers
14-08-2012, 08:41 PM
Build is going ok but not looking like I will be finished in time for Sunday sadly. Whats the format for club days? Is it just turn up and try the track or do you run races?

AndyG
14-08-2012, 09:11 PM
it's four qualifying races, and then a final - same for everybody.

Very relaxed days, and very well run.

Plenty to people knocking about who will gladly help you - I would if i were there, but I'll be on hold. Look out for likes of Steve Kirk, Andy Shillito, Colin Gill - all run Durangos and are helpful guys.

Andy

Claspers
15-08-2012, 08:29 PM
Thanks Andy appreciate that. I'm up to the diff and gearbox build but busy life is getting in the way of the build! Must spend more time at my desk building ;) can't wait to get it finished

Claspers
20-08-2012, 08:15 PM
So I'm on the scrounge for advice again. Looking at an 8.5 Turkish motor and esc .. Brushless ... To finish off the build. Any recommendations that people favour to put me into the lower end races at Batley? Decided to not to cannibalise my tc and treat my self to a lower end brushless instead. Anything up to £80 for a set would be about right (esc and motor). Staring to do my research but as usual, advice is the best research :)

Claspers
20-08-2012, 08:16 PM
When I say Turkish....I mean turn! Of course ;)

neallewis
20-08-2012, 10:05 PM
In that price range I'd look at the speed passion clubman motors, MB do them:

Speed Passion Ultra Sportsman Version 3.0 Sensor Motor 8.5R
http://www.rccarshop.co.uk/index.php/electrics/motors/speed-passion/speed-passion-ultra-sportsman-version-3-0-sensor-motor-8-5r.html
£34.99
Its not going to be at hot as a £70-£80 top spec 8.5T, but can't go wrong for that money. or you could look at second hand, but most likely used (and maybe abused).

Speedo's for £45-50, i'd be looking on the for sale section of oople for something used but decent spec, rather than new for cheap. Cheaper speedo's tend to have >8T motor and current limits. But if you want new, go see MB models and they will have something. Otherwise its ebay or giantshark for hobbywing xerun or hobbyking.com.

Club meeting on sunday, hope to see you there.

Sturdy
21-08-2012, 12:19 AM
Bullistorm 120 amp on eBay keep your eye out for them between £25-£40 dependant. Just a speed passion copy but have all the specs of a top ESC.

Oscar
21-08-2012, 07:00 AM
Not seen the Bullistorm's for less than £45-50 recently:(

As Neal said, with that sort of budget, a used speedo is the way to go. The older Sphere LRP (or Nosram Equivalent) and Novak GTB's are still OK and sell for £30-40 usually.

As for a motor, if you can get one off someone you trust, I'd go for a higher spec used unit. If not, try squeeze the budget to £50ish for a new high end one. I have in the past bought new budget motors, and never been impressed with the length of time they lasted before needing replacing. I think the HPI ones are around £50 new or I have seen Team Wave ones (These are a Relabelled Version 2 Speed Passion unit AFAIK) for around £40 new.

Sturdy
21-08-2012, 09:32 AM
Yeah the hpi flux are £52 at moment in MB models that's a good price.

Claspers
21-08-2012, 07:00 PM
Yeah had a look at the flux, looks good so that's a good bet for a motor...now just got to do the esc hunt for 30/40 ish. Thanks for advice

Claspers
24-08-2012, 09:39 PM
Having a heck of a job finding any of those esc s on eBay or here. Any other quality options
U could recommend ?

Claspers
24-08-2012, 09:44 PM
Hobbywing ezrun 120a any good?

Oscar
25-08-2012, 08:38 AM
yeah, the're fine. I have the V2.1 unit and its OK :)

(be careful as some of the HW 120A's are designed for bigger stuff like SC @ 1/8, you want the 1/10 version)

cobra_shadow
25-08-2012, 08:43 AM
As Neal said, with that sort of budget, a used speedo is the way to go. The older Sphere LRP (or Nosram Equivalent) and Novak GTB's are still OK and sell for £30-40 usually.


I have 2 GTB's one in the 2wd and one in the 4wd and they are both great and have never let me down. For the price you can get them now well worth buying

Oscar
25-08-2012, 09:08 AM
Having a heck of a job finding any of those esc s on eBay or here. Any other quality options
U could recommend ?
You need to be fast on oOple, you missed these this week
http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?t=108497
http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?t=108404

Not much on ebay at the moment, just this one which includes a motor :(
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NOSRAM-MATRIX-EVOLUTION-SPEC-BRUSHLESS-BRUSHED-SPEED-CONTROLLER-6-5-TURN-MOTOR-/280944258002?pt=UK_ToysGames_RadioControlled_JN&hash=item4169952bd2

These are the Bullistorm units http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/400308710506?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

If you're a gambler, these Inix units look like another Hobbywing copy just like the Bullistorm. No idea if they are OK or not, maybe someone else has used them and could comment?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/INIX-RACING-120A-ESC-SENSORED-SENSORLESS-BRUSHLESS-MOTOR-CONTROLLER-LIPO-RC-CAR-/170900318715?pt=Radio_Control_Parts_Accessories&hash=item27ca73e9fb

Claspers
25-08-2012, 09:54 PM
yeah, the're fine. I have the V2.1 unit and its OK :)

(be careful as some of the HW 120A's are designed for bigger stuff like SC @ 1/8, you want the 1/10 version)
Are the 60a hobbywings ok or would you always go for a 120 or above? I tried to buy a Gtb on oople but the guy didn't reply :(

Timee80
25-08-2012, 10:02 PM
Ive had both. They are both capable speedos but i can definately tell when i use the 60a that there is less guts low down mainly. This might not be a bad thing in 2wd actually.

charlie2
07-09-2012, 04:02 PM
just a quickie.thinking of racing this weekend for the first time.one question,do you have loan transponders at the club?.

aeb4
07-09-2012, 04:23 PM
just a quickie.thinking of racing this weekend for the first time.one question,do you have loan transponders at the club?.
Yes we do. You just need to remember to hand them back after your race.

charlie2
07-09-2012, 05:22 PM
Yes we do. You just need to remember to hand them back after your race.
cheers fella,will be down sunday then providing the rain stays away.

Claspers
09-09-2012, 08:47 PM
Well, thanks for all the tips. Finally finished the build! Painted and all electrics in some I'm going to try v hard to be at the next club meet. Can't wait. Car needs running in first so will have to get it going beforehand. Anyone experienced there being a slight lumpiness to one side drive train on first build? I'm hoping it's just wearing in as the diff has been done three times now and feels smooth. Only when the wheels turn do you get a bit of choppiness that feels like its somewhere in the gearbox. Might just ask for advice whenim there and have a play :)