View Full Version : Vintage Series 2012/13
peetbee
05-08-2012, 09:10 PM
Yes, it's nearly that time already!
Get those pre-94 cars dusted off and ready to roll :thumbsup:
How does roughly the 3rd Friday in the month sound? Starting with September.:woot:
JACKOR33
05-08-2012, 09:18 PM
I'm in for more vintage fun, gonna be the cougar all series this time no more tamiya bathtub type chassis lol :thumbsup:
Caine
05-08-2012, 09:19 PM
Yep i'm in! now i'm settled in the new house seriously need to drag my arse out the house to have some play time! :thumbsup:
Belsten
05-08-2012, 09:39 PM
I am deffo up for a slice of this action this year, thanks to Jessop Snr :thumbsup: Different rides for each round ?? :woot:
brian s
05-08-2012, 09:45 PM
i`m in and hopefully vintage will be well supported this year.
how many rounds are we having (7 and best 5 to count?) any rules?
Body Paint
07-08-2012, 12:51 PM
Yes, it's nearly that time already!
Get those pre-94 cars dusted off and ready to roll :thumbsup:
How does roughly the 3rd Friday in the month sound? Starting with September.:woot:
If only I had a chassis and gearbox for my RC10 :rolleyes:
peetbee
07-08-2012, 01:18 PM
If only I had a chassis and gearbox for my RC10 :rolleyes:
:blush: clearly my memory was affected by being ill, I will dig it all out for you this week!
peetbee
07-08-2012, 01:26 PM
Simple rules I think:
1) That specific model must have been released prior to 1st January 1994
2) You must have fun
3) Re-releases allowed providing they are not a modern buggy with an old body on (EG: Tamiya Holiday Buggy Re-Re is a no no, Tamiya Boomerang Re-Re is a yes yes!)
4) Period upgrades allowed - if it was available when the car was new then you can run it (this includes repro parts)
5) Brushless motors, modern electronics, lipos, modern wheels and tyres are all allowed
6) You must have fun
7) Due to numbers in other classes a round may be postponed should there be too many heats (so bring your modern car too!)
8) 7 rounds, best 5 rounds to count
9) You must have fun
So the dates for this series will be:
14th September
19th October
16th November
21st December
18th January
15th February
15th March
I think that covers everything - have I mentionend that this is all just for fun?!
Balders
07-08-2012, 01:27 PM
woohoo my bosscat works has a 1993 sticker on the box! I'm in then! :)
Harris, do you want my box of RC10 bits again?
Body Paint
08-08-2012, 12:32 AM
Thanks pete
Yes please mikey
hit5005
08-08-2012, 11:41 AM
I need a rc10 to play will try and get one when i come back from hols so keep me in mind if u got one coming up for sale
Body Paint
08-08-2012, 01:00 PM
I need a rc10 to play will try and get one when i come back from hols so keep me in mind if u got one coming up for sale
I think Chris on wheels was going to sell his.
PETE: Rules #2 #6 and #9 are a bit vague, maybe you need to add a rule #10 to re-iterate a little.
chris-on-wheels
08-08-2012, 06:13 PM
No I keeping my Rc10. I'm selling my SC10.:thumbsup:
J'MM'N
08-08-2012, 08:00 PM
As I'm only up in Glos and it sounds like fun, I'm tempted to get a car and have a go myself.
The last time I raced was in 1995, so these cars are still modern to me :o although the operator is nearing vintage :lol:
Trevor.
peetbee
08-08-2012, 09:00 PM
PETE: Rules #2 #6 and #9 are a bit vague, maybe you need to add a rule #10 to re-iterate a little.
Hmm, how about: "Thou shalt enjoy thyself immensely" as the 10th commandment? :woot:
The more the merrier Trev, as long as it complies with the rules you can run it!
Naushad
08-08-2012, 09:04 PM
Wish I could attend...does a yz10 '94 count?
peetbee
08-08-2012, 09:28 PM
1) That specific model must have been released prior to 1st January 1994
Wish I could attend...does a yz10 '94 count?
Sorry, wouldn't count for the series points:(
You'd be welcome to come and run it anyway :)
Lovely car though, if I could then I'd have one in my collection in an instant:wub
metalmickey0
08-08-2012, 09:42 PM
Going by the list of cars ive just read then my Hotshot will be outclassed straight away
Teaboy
09-08-2012, 04:48 AM
The good news is it looks like my Mini Mustang is now all working as it should do, ive built 2 now one absolutely standard and one will all the hot ups for the time. If anyone has a Futaba 131sh servo i would love to buy it to put in the car to make it even more period.
Cheers
Rich
peetbee
09-08-2012, 12:38 PM
Going by the list of cars ive just read then my Hotshot will be outclassed straight away
May I refer you to Rules #2 #6 and #9 :woot:
I think you'd be surprised. Get a set of plastic wheel hexes from a Tamiya touring car and then you'll be able to run any 12mm hex wheel to fit modern rubber so that it's got some grip!:lol:
It'll be amazing to see your PB on track Rich:thumbsup:
JACKOR33
10-08-2012, 11:20 AM
Going by the list of cars ive just read then my Hotshot will be outclassed straight away
You'd be fine.....
1st year I ran my fire dragon with a 10.5 boosted touring setup was hilarious finished 3rd
2nd year I ran my manta ray with same setup finished 2nd
This year is a cougar 1/2 hybrid cos I wanted to play 2wd again
It's a laugh whatever you run specially vintage tamiya stuff :thumbsup:
Teaboy
10-08-2012, 01:25 PM
http://www.oople.com/forums/%3Ca%20href=http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/687/img0282zqr.jpg/%20target=_blank%3E[IMG]http://img687.imageshack.us/img687/5720/img0282zqr.jpghttp://www.oople.com/forums/%3Ca%20href=http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/687/img0282zqr.jpg/%20target=_blank%3E[IMG=http://img687.imageshack.us/img687/5720/img0282zqr.jpg]Its working and looking not to bad, im all ready for vinatge now, something a bit different to run.
Cheers
Rich
http://img687.imageshack.us/img687/5720/img0282zqr.jpg
MORG185
12-08-2012, 09:01 PM
im in rc10 for me cant wait to try my hands at vintage:)
Balders
22-08-2012, 03:34 PM
Just testing the water really..
is there anyone out there that wants to run vintage but is looking for a car?
I'd be happy to part with my bosscat and bosscat works (1993) as a package so you'd have plenty of spares?
Moving house soon so need to thin out the collection again..
peetbee
31-08-2012, 03:03 PM
Runners and Riders so far:
Brian Spooner - Losi XX
Martyn Spooner - Losi XX
Phil Caines - Losi XX
Mike Baldwin - feeble excuses as to why he can't race despite me putting his RC10 back together for him!
Dave Belsten - Yokomo?
Dave Jackson - Cougar 2
Rych Brind - Tamiya Hotshot (go on go on go on go on!)
Matt Lovett - Mystery 4wd!
Pete Belsten - RC10 Team
Chris Steed - RC10 Team
Paul Knight - RC10 CE Stealth
Dean Morgan - RC10 CE 6 gear
Craig Harris - an assortment of RC10 bits & Chris Steed's RC10 for round 1!
Rich Whitehead - PB Mini Mustang or dunken ebay purchase of an Optima Mid
Jay Mills? - Mardave Cobra
Si Osborne? - Losi Jrx2
Who have I missed and will we really get all these people racing vintage on the same night?!!:woot:
MORG185
02-09-2012, 08:21 PM
include me please ,dean morgan ,RC10 gold tub ,:)cheers
I wont be able to make the first race as im away, but ill be driving a different make of 4wd this year in the Vintage series :)
Teaboy
04-09-2012, 05:06 AM
After a drunken purchase of ebay, im after some optima mid parts, the main thing is spur gear and wheels, but will take most things as i have no spares at all.
Cheers
Rich
Teaboy
04-09-2012, 05:07 AM
I wont be able to make the first race as im away, but ill be driving a different make of 4wd this year in the Vintage series :)
Something really rare like a AYK Viper or a Tomy Intruder?
Cheers
Rich
peetbee
04-09-2012, 08:09 AM
I wont be able to make the first race as im away, but ill be driving a different make of 4wd this year in the Vintage series :)
You can't leave us hanging like that! Hmmm, Kyosho?
After a drunken purchase of ebay, im after some optima mid parts, the main thing is spur gear and wheels, but will take most things as i have no spares at all.
Most 12mm hex wheels will fit - I think fastrax do some that would fit, I suspect RW still do spur gears. I hope the idler gear in the gearbox is ok as that's the only part that is super mega extremely rare! The rest of the parts are just rare, but they are out there :D
Balders
04-09-2012, 08:50 AM
Mike Baldwin - feeble excuses as to why he can't race despite me putting his RC10 back together for him!
If I can then it will be a trx1.. need a servo though..
anyone have any experience of these?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Alturn-USA-Low-Profile-Digital-Servo-TG-High-Speed-AAS645LMG-/390462486579?pt=UK_ToysGames_RadioControlled_JN&hash=item5ae960b833#ht_1431wt_1163
brian s
04-09-2012, 12:19 PM
after using cheaper servo`s in a cougar and having them fail i would go for a better quality such as a savox.
especially in a vintage where parts are hard to source and we want to see your vintage on the track this year mike and not in bits
Caine
04-09-2012, 05:17 PM
I went for a 20 pound servo, Martyn recommended scanner rc, have also read good reports about the power hd servos.
Budget vintage racing:thumbsup:
Martyn Spooner
04-09-2012, 05:34 PM
I run cheap Alturn in my club 22 and the 22T. Seem fine and have held up in some big(ish) crashes without a servo saver. Still use Scanner too. Think JE had a sale on them a while back.
brian s
04-09-2012, 06:00 PM
you running in this years vintage phil?.
Belsten
04-09-2012, 09:29 PM
Not sure what vintage flavour cars if any I will be running this winter we will see
Caine
04-09-2012, 09:39 PM
Yes i will be Bri, looking forward to seeing you all:thumbsup:
peetbee
04-09-2012, 10:13 PM
Not sure what vintage flavour cars if any I will be running this winter we will see Not again!:p
peetbee
04-09-2012, 10:14 PM
If I can then it will be a trx1.. need a servo though..
Hurrah, my taunting worked! :p
Belsten
04-09-2012, 10:22 PM
maybe but only maybe
now if only I could find someone to install electrics in some of the rebuilt cars :woot:
Thanks to Jessop Snr for breathing life in to the old dogs :wub
peetbee
04-09-2012, 10:50 PM
now if only I could find someone to install electrics in some of the rebuilt cars :woot:
if only Dave! ;)
Balders
05-09-2012, 12:05 AM
I love doing electrics! :)
When's it's all neat and tidy just makes it look nice...
I've been nagging Huw for months to give me his 44 to re wire up neatly for him...
peetbee
05-09-2012, 12:19 AM
I love doing electrics! :)
When's it's all neat and tidy just makes it look nice...
I've been nagging Huw for months to give me his 44 to re wire up neatly for him...
You're welcome to do my cars! I love tidy wiring, I just haven't got the hang of it!
Teaboy
05-09-2012, 05:15 AM
I love doing electrics! :)
When's it's all neat and tidy just makes it look nice...
I've been nagging Huw for months to give me his 44 to re wire up neatly for him...
Ill drop all my cars over to you them Mike as what ever i do they still look a mess, ive even done exact copies and mine look nothing like the origional!!!
Cheers
Rich
Balders
06-09-2012, 12:05 PM
does this make you happy pete?
Body Paint
06-09-2012, 12:36 PM
Ah, that's what happened to that spare set of TRF dampers
Balders
06-09-2012, 12:46 PM
no no they are the ones off my 201.. no idea what happened to the spare set.. :bored:
peetbee
07-09-2012, 11:37 AM
does this make you happy pete?
:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:thumbsup:
peetbee
07-09-2012, 11:39 AM
Updated List:
Brian Spooner - Losi XX
Martyn Spooner - Losi XX
Phil Caines - Losi XX
Mike Baldwin - Traxxas Trx
Dave Belsten - Yokomo?
Dave Jackson - Cougar 2
Rych Brind - Tamiya Hotshot (go on go on go on go on!)
Matt Lovett - Mystery 4wd!
Pete Belsten - RC10 Team
Chris Steed - RC10 Team
Paul Knight - RC10 CE Stealth
Dean Morgan - RC10 CE 6 gear
Craig Harris - an assortment of RC10 bits & Chris Steed's RC10 for round 1!
Rich Whitehead - PB Mini Mustang or dunken ebay purchase of an Optima Mid
Si Osborne? - Losi Jrx2
....
peetbee
10-09-2012, 02:19 PM
Round 1 this Friday peeps!
Please re-read rules 6 & 7 :p
Simple rules I think:
1) That specific model must have been released prior to 1st January 1994
2) You must have fun
3) Re-releases allowed providing they are not a modern buggy with an old body on (EG: Tamiya Holiday Buggy Re-Re is a no no, Tamiya Boomerang Re-Re is a yes yes!)
4) Period upgrades allowed - if it was available when the car was new then you can run it (this includes repro parts)
5) Brushless motors, modern electronics, lipos, modern wheels and tyres are all allowed
6) You must have fun
7) Due to numbers in other classes a round may be postponed should there be too many heats (so bring your modern car too!)
8) 7 rounds, best 5 rounds to count
9) You must have fun
So the dates for this series will be:
14th September
19th October
16th November
21st December
18th January
15th February
15th March
I think that covers everything - have I mentionend that this is all just for fun?!
Balders
12-09-2012, 09:01 AM
Just a thought.. I know we have spokena but this before but do you think we should look at having a 'spec' motor?
maybe not for this year but for future years?
Something like this (http://www.cmldistribution.co.uk/cml_product.php?productId=0000005447), a 17T brushed motor that Paul could get us all and maybe do us a nice deal on a bulk purchase?
peetbee
12-09-2012, 02:11 PM
I could be tempted with that, Mike.
Especially if it would tempt more cars out to play as well as levelling the field.
Too late for this year, but something to discuss for next year
Teaboy
12-09-2012, 05:02 PM
No thats not good, ive just put a nice 3.5 in the Mini Mustang i dont want to slow it down !!!
Cheers
Rich
JACKOR33
12-09-2012, 06:07 PM
I could be tempted with that, Mike.
Especially if it would tempt more cars out to play as well as levelling the field.
Too late for this year, but something to discuss for next year
Levelling the field???
I had to run a 10.5 brushless to make up for non existent bump /jump handling and lack of cornering prowess in my tamiya bathtub models that no amount of setup work would cure lol :woot:Maybe the control motor is good for true vintage race buggies, however the retro starter models should be kept open for above reason plus ppl may not want to buy extra running gear for a fun series ;)
peetbee
12-09-2012, 09:37 PM
No thats not good, ive just put a nice 3.5 in the Mini Mustang i dont want to slow it down !!!
Only a 3.5 pffft lightweight!
Levelling the field???
Bad choice of words on my part there Dave! I meant that you wouldn't have someone with a transmission that couldn't handle much power losing out against people who could run that much or more - for example the associated stealth box can cope with a 7.5 - if you tried putting that through the old 6 gear transmission then you'd be lucky to last 5 minutes!
It is a valid point about not wanting to pay a lot of money for more gear, but then again I like the idea of having electrics I could leave in it -
Ansmann Racing Clash 18t motor is £6.99* and assuming you don't have an old brushed speedo lying around, an Etronix Probe esc is £20*
Would people be interested in that at all?
I'm sure we've had similar discussions in the past and settled on free choice but would a spec motor make it more fun?
At the end of the day I want it to be fun, not neccesarily fast!:lol:
*random examples plucked from interweb
Belsten
12-09-2012, 10:07 PM
Hmm not sure about it, I never ran anything other than a 10.5 & a 13.5 in mine and they were relatively competitive
Body Paint
13-09-2012, 12:18 PM
No fan of this idea this side of my keyboard... IMHO spec racing in any form only increases cost and decreases fun.
Put a crap motor in and it all comes down to who has the best batteries, just like it did when these cars were released.
Get back in your box Mikey :lol:
peetbee
13-09-2012, 12:21 PM
Get back in your box Mikey :lol:
:woot::woot:
peetbee
14-09-2012, 11:35 PM
Round 1 Completed and interesting start!
Rich managed to complete the whole night without breaking anything, unfortunately Mike and Phil weren't quite so lucky.
Dave's Cougar is definitely going well and Craig and I weren't happy with the handling of the RC10's, bring on round 2 where hopefully we'll have a few more runners!
Name Car Points
Craig Harris RC10 Team 101
Dave Jackson Cougar 2 99
Pete Belsten RC10 Team 98
Mike Baldwin Traxxas TRX1 97
Rich Whitefoot PB Mustang 96
Phil Caines Losi XX 95
mrspeedy
15-09-2012, 09:09 AM
Sorry I couldn't make it to the vintage round last night ... a bottle of Elderberry wine was calling :lol:
about the spec thing ... I'm not a fan to be honest, but I did see another club was running vintage with their only rule being you could only run Schumacher spikes .... like these -
http://www.racing-cars.com/images/T650_w.jpg
I could go with that .... what do we think ?
Body Paint
15-09-2012, 10:05 AM
Personally I had so much fun last night I wouldn't want to change anything, half the fun for me is dragging these old cars around the track at a pace we would never have thought possible when they were conceived
brian s
15-09-2012, 12:01 PM
lets not over complicate the vintage series with controls on the cars other than pete`s original rules for this year,the main one being `must have fun`.
Belsten
15-09-2012, 07:07 PM
run what you brung :D
peetbee
15-09-2012, 11:45 PM
In hindsight the 8.5 in my RC10 was overkill, it was fantastic fun tho!
Although someone thought we all looked very serious, they just didn't realise how much we had to concentrate to get these cars around the track!
Will run a different RC10 next time with a slower motor:D
Body Paint
17-09-2012, 12:51 PM
In hindsight the 8.5 in my RC10 was overkill, it was fantastic fun tho!
Although someone thought we all looked very serious, they just didn't realise how much we had to concentrate to get these cars around the track!
Will run a different RC10 next time with a slower motor:D
9t sensorless was spot on in my (Chris's) RC10.
I glanced down the rostrum at one point whilst waiting for a marshall and it looked like a National A final.. Rich looked like he was about to soil himself and Dave Cakes had his tongue all over the shop, Phil was staring so hard at his car his eyebrows nearly covered his eyes completly. Made me LOL :lol:
DerbyDan
17-09-2012, 01:23 PM
Damn I wish I lived nearer to you guys - sounds like great fun! Have run an RC10 & now a Losi XX at local club meets, but never competed against other vintage cars.
peetbee
17-09-2012, 02:55 PM
Damn I wish I lived nearer to you guys - sounds like great fun! Have run an RC10 & now a Losi XX at local club meets, but never competed against other vintage cars.
The fun was compulsory Dan, I put it in the rules 3 times to make sure!
I'll try to remember my camera next time so that you can see what we're all blathering on about!
DerbyDan
17-09-2012, 04:39 PM
Would love to see some pics for sure!:)
P.S; I ran a 6.5BL in my RC10... I don't think the front wheels ever touched the ground going down Stotfold's straight!:D
Caine
18-09-2012, 03:31 PM
Lol Craig, just had to look in the mirror to see if my eyebrows will actually do that and i guess your right:lol:
Still all the concentration didnt help when i took out a precious front wishbone on that door frame:(
Did get some pics but not of all the cars unfortunatley, thinkin about running the RC10 next time
JACKOR33
18-09-2012, 06:14 PM
9t sensorless was spot on in my (Chris's) RC10.
I glanced down the rostrum at one point whilst waiting for a marshall and it looked like a National A final.. Rich looked like he was about to soil himself and Dave Cakes had his tongue all over the shop, Phil was staring so hard at his car his eyebrows nearly covered his eyes completly. Made me LOL :lol:
What do you mean my tongue was all over the shop, I don't do that do I whilst I'm racing??:p:p:woot::woot:
My 7.5 was a little excessive when matched to last years mini pins lol
peetbee
22-10-2012, 02:20 PM
Another great night of vintage racing last Friday :)
Rich showed everyone that you don't need a lot of power if you drive cleanly by putting his 17.5 powered mustang 2nd on the grid :thumbsup:
And here are the points following the 2nd round:
http://www.oople.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=729&pictureid=5589
Teaboy
25-10-2012, 05:00 PM
The Mini Mustang has now retired although all the electrics are going into the new car ready for the next round, not quite as rare as the PB but i think i will be the only one running, and i may even try the SWB Cat for one race just to try it.
Cheers
Rich
peetbee
28-10-2012, 09:27 PM
Not as rare as the PB in the same way that the rhino is slightly less endangered than the tiger?!:woot:
Looking forward to seeing it run Rich!
My RC10 team car has now been retired and it's replacement is nearly ready:lol:
http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h73/peetbee/rc10%20garage/2012-10-28011550.jpg
Caine
28-10-2012, 09:41 PM
Looks sweet Pete, the orange and black looks lovely :thumbsup:
peetbee
18-11-2012, 08:09 PM
And this week:
- Paul showed everyone how important it is to have fully charged batteries in your handset
- I showed that even if your car looks nice you still have to avoid crashing!
- And Huw showed that mega negative camber on a borrowed car is a good thing!
Updated results are:
http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h73/peetbee/caldi%20results/2012vintageafterround3.jpg
Hopefully we'll have a Cobra or 2 at the next round and Rich may be running his Cat xls :thumbsup:
peetbee
17-03-2013, 01:52 PM
Apologies for the long delay in getting these results up :blush:
Another good series with an interesting mix of cars overall.
http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h73/peetbee/201213VintageResults_zpsd1900640.jpg
Congrats to Craig for winning overall - but it should be mentioned that he couldn't have done it without Chris Steed loaning him his RC10!
and if only I hadn't lent Huw one of my RC10's!:lol:
Fun :):woot:
vBulletin® v3.8.7, Copyright ©2000-2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.