PDA

View Full Version : Pay for Trade access? bad idea?


jimmy
14-08-2012, 11:03 PM
For some that don't know, I'll be putting more time into oOple next year - however it works out. And I want to constantly make it better.

The 'for sale' section is pretty popular and having experienced ebay recently - it reminds how stupidly high the fees they charge are.
I wondered what people would think of paying something like £5 for a years access to post in this section (reply via PM, or browsing wouldn't be any different to how it is now) - this would be to:

1: stop scammers from posting stuff up and give added protection - they don't want to spend £5, and I'd still be checking new members even if they did.

2: keep things civil and have the seriously interested only from posting - rather than testing the waters etc. You'd still have to obey by the rules - mainly the 7 day rule of not reposting your advert (spamming) like a maniac.

3: let me give some tshirts and hoodies to the boys that help maintain the section and pay for the hosting and re-development of the website.

I've always been happy for CLUBS to have either a specific advert thread or adverts in their own club forum for members of the club selling to other club members - this is only sensible and is up to the moderator of the club themselves to decide if they want that sort of thing in their section and how best to maintain it (a single thread would possibly be best - sticky'd to the top of the forum).

It's just an idea - at the moment I like how popular it is and I absolutely don't want to drive people away and I don't think people should have to pay to advertise. It's been suggested and I thought I'd gauge reaction.

Personally I'm not sure - the safety aspect and keeping it more sane (if people pay even a small fee they won't want to behave silly) are benefits - but I see a big drawback in what's essentially been a popular part of the site for years.

I'm torn!

Don't be afraid to say it's crap and you'll go elsewhere. :lol::thumbsup:

Nas
15-08-2012, 12:19 AM
I think it's a brilliant idea. It will keep the sale section clean and safe.

I was maybe thinking you could have membership thing.
So members pay like £10.00 a year and they get access to the oople chat room(i can see that getting popular!)or sale section,Oople reports/photos and they could custom their status thingy you know the senior member thing.
My final idea was members could be entered into a oople raffle once every 6 months were you can win a oople shirt or decals,something small.Non members would still get normal access to the forum but without the things mentioned above.

What do you think?

Thanks.

sime46
15-08-2012, 01:24 AM
I'd happily pay. It's a good way of keeping the trouble makers out who only join these things to spoil it for others. True supporters of the site would all pay for access I'd have thought. If ultimately it benefits the running of the site and secures its future it can only be a good thing. I for one would be lost without it. Made some decent mates on here.

Origineelreclamebord
15-08-2012, 04:50 AM
I very much appreciate that this community in itself is free, and I think that really should stay that way.

However, for sales... well, there is allready money involved from two parties: I don't see harm in adding a third party (oOple) with a fee once a year. I would only use the fee for sellers though, not for buyers - I'd be put off by that because though I sometimes buy something from oOple, on average I don't spend a lot of money here (not yet anyway) :p

Oh, and am I right there was a 'Donate' button on the site a few years back? :confused: I've been a member for a while now, and in the recent months/year I've been pretty active on oOple and I'm really having a great time here! For me, that's worth something, but it takes some time to find out. For me a month or so back it felt like I wanted to donate something... but I couldn't find a button like this! I know it's not the most efficient way of getting a monetary reward for all your input and effort for this community, but perhaps you could add that feature to the fees for the sales section? If someone is making a payment to you anyway, I think more people would be tempted to make a donation...

And another few questions... First of all, I saw a thread of 'For Sale and Wanted (NL/BE only) in the Belgian forums... How will you keep those topics up (because they are very handy) yet keep all people from switching to those topics for their sales?

Secondly, you see an ad-like topic in the wrong place every now and then... how will you handle that? People have to stick by the rules and you'd like to prevent people from taking a peek what life's like on/over the edge... However, you don't want to introduce military regimes to keep people in check (especially since oOple has such an easy going and fun atmosphere)... How do you keep things loose, informal and fun when there is actually money involved? :eh?:

Sparky
15-08-2012, 05:49 AM
The trade section on racechat was well used until they started charging for access, now there is tumble weeds blowing through there.

Having said that tamiya club trade area is well used, but there the fees give you a hole lot more (showroom etc).

Keep it free but make the donate button appear.

Sparky

danDanEFC
15-08-2012, 06:19 AM
The fiver per year for sellers is a good idea.

Rich D
15-08-2012, 06:45 AM
The Paypal address for donations towards the upkeep and running costs of the site is

[email protected]

h0m3sy
15-08-2012, 06:47 AM
Speaking as someone who was scammed this year, I would welcome any moves to make the for sale section safer. I'm sure most people wouldn't mind paying a once a year fee for this. I like the sound of Nasir's suggestion too. Food for thought Jimmy.

Naushad
15-08-2012, 07:27 AM
I totally agree with this....in the spirit of the internet try to keep it free!!:)

If clubs held events with some profits from registration etc.. going from Oople, this may help to cover admin costs? Not sure how this relates to the economics
of running a club though..

Scammers are a problem....maybe tighten more on the rules here....posting limit, pictures 100% essential otherwise post deleted.

Though, if push came to shove, I would be happy to pay a fee..


The trade section on racechat was well used until they started charging for access, now there is tumble weeds blowing through there.

Having said that tamiya club trade area is well used, but there the fees give you a hole lot more (showroom etc).

Keep it free but make the donate button appear.

Sparky

danharding
15-08-2012, 07:35 AM
£5 a year seems fine to me, already pay that on UK-microRC for membership which supports the forum and lets you sell stuff.
I've donated once before, paying £5 a year just means I get reminded to give some money to the forum. :thumbsup:

jim76
15-08-2012, 07:48 AM
i've sold lots of stuff through oople and would be happy to pay £5 per year. Cheaper than ebay fees on one sale usually!

As mentioned before, a lot of people may abandon the section due to an annual fee if they are only a lite user.
Would it possible to have an annual membership for unlimited use, and then maybe a £1 per transaction fee for those that only sell one or two items per year?

john333
15-08-2012, 07:50 AM
I would have no problem at all paying £5 per year to buy or sell. Most other forums I've been on over the years run a similar system, or one where you pay a fee to get extra features as nasir said.

£5 per year is less than a pair of tyres ;-)

gainsy
15-08-2012, 07:55 AM
Just as a example
If you sold a motor on ebay for £50 then 10% would be taken by ebay as a final sellers fee, add to that the insertion fee & then paypals cut(not sure on amount) i would say you would get about £44 in total, so that's £6 lost in 1 transaction
Pay a fiver & get to advertise as many items as you like for free all year on oople is a great idea
Would be happy to pay this

Getpip
15-08-2012, 08:01 AM
I have bought and sold a few items.
Sometimes it has worked well sometimes not.
Part of the reason people use the section is because it's a free alternative to eBay. If it stops being so many will start looking elsewhere.
Whilst £5 doesn't seem a huge amount I think you risk driving traffic away.
I am not an expert but ultimately isn't revenue derived from traffic?
Great as oople is I don't think attempting to charge users is the way forward.

I don't think I'd pay it. Soz.

Moozo
15-08-2012, 08:02 AM
Who can not afford 10p per week or even 20p for the use of this site that every member use's at least once a week.....for me i'm on here every day and would welcome any fee, membership or traders fee.

Like the membership fee idea better stops any numpty's from joining trying to scam honest people from there hard earned cash and personal possessions.

Mick

MikePimlott
15-08-2012, 08:02 AM
Good idea Jimmy!

Implement it right away! Lets get them reports uploaded :lol:

Getpip
15-08-2012, 08:05 AM
Oops double post.

RobW
15-08-2012, 08:13 AM
Struggling not to get splinters sitting on the fence on this one.

I’m all for the internet being as free as it can be but somebody has to pay for the hosting and other stuff I don’t really understand.

I spend far too much time on here – laughing at peoples inane posts and arguments, getting really useful advise and buying/selling so I’d happily pay £5. I also know I should donate some money but never quite get round to it - donation is on its way to you now Jimmy because I have just had a bit of a guilt trip.:blush:

How difficult/bureaucratic would it be to have a voluntary £5 or £10 “membership” fee that was highlighted in your profile so you were listed as a “Oople Supporter” or something similar? Might create a bit of peer pressure amongst us all to make sure we remember to help out a little for such a great resource. If you do not want to pay, then fine, but if you use this site a lot don’t be surprised when we all start calling you a tight wad!! If you are a newbie or light user then fine, don’t pay.

Rob

john333
15-08-2012, 08:14 AM
Just away from the trade section, there can't be many (probably no one!) who doesn't look forward to the latest report coming online, so if this tiny amount of money per year made the reports bigger, better and more regular it's got to be worth it?

bodgit
15-08-2012, 08:16 AM
I think its a great idea. There are too many people who post only in the for sale section to save themselves ebay and paypal fee's. I know one person with over 130 posts all in the for sale section and one in trader feedback.
Ebay charge listing fee's final fee's and then by the time paypal take their cut you could be looking at £5 or more costs on just one item making oOple at just £5 for a whole year unlimited sale posts a bargin.
People know the costs of ebay so would still know the bargin oOple £5 fee would offer.

raymondkerr
15-08-2012, 08:48 AM
I buy and sell a fair bit on oOple and have always been happy, its a great forum and the galleries and reports are second to none. I would happy pay £5/10 a year for membership to oOple.

For r/c are very rarely sell on ebay due to fees, i still buy on ebay though. But i think a small yearly charge wouldn't be unreasonable considering the amount of time and effort Sir Jimmy and the crew put in.

Raymond

coleman758
15-08-2012, 09:07 AM
Its a good idea!

I would even look at more than £5, oOple is great!
I sell loads of things, £5 is nothing!!

M

peetbee
15-08-2012, 09:25 AM
Do it Jimmy, £5 sounds good to me

jimmy
15-08-2012, 09:26 AM
I'm also of the opinion that it should be free - and the horrors of what happened on racechat have just been brought back to me with someone's comment.

It's not about making money though - it's more about giving something back and making the section a bit safer. I think the one negative comment is probably enough to keep me off it for now.

Hpi_guy
15-08-2012, 09:28 AM
I like the idea of a annual fee for selling or a one off payment for each ad as I sell a few bits but not everything sells, either 10p per ad or per item

MikePimlott
15-08-2012, 09:54 AM
I'm also of the opinion that it should be free - and the horrors of what happened on racechat have just been brought back to me with someone's comment.

It's not about making money though - it's more about giving something back and making the section a bit safer. I think the one negative comment is probably enough to keep me off it for now.

The one negative comment is about another community, not ours.

Were all happy to pay a measly £5 per year to help you out :thumbsup:

mattr
15-08-2012, 09:56 AM
One of the other forums i use has a "premium" membership status, they get a few extra features like extended reports that they get to see 24 or 48 hours earlier than the "oiks" access to the magazine back issues and so on).

And also it means that the web admin actually know who they are (CC details, home address, work email addresses and so on).
This has tended to mean (except in one case) that they are the more trusted sellers.
Might be worth looking at if Oople is to become a commercial success.

Just paying for posting privileges seems a bit, um, high risk.

jimmy
15-08-2012, 10:11 AM
I will look into it - the site is going to be totally revamped at some point and I will be putting a lot more time into it no matter what. Covering a lot more events hopefully and producing some ace content.
Vbulletin allows a very easy 'membership' thing that's all automatic afaik - maybe taking away is the racechat error. I felt a real second class user on that site myself. I Will look how I can justify a small contribution to give some extra and show at least you're a paid up member and thus MORE trustworthy (as I have your details and will come get you).
Online chat is great but very server heavy I think - I will look into some options. We used to have it on the doughtyuk.net forums and sometimes all gather together on msn group chat (like, 50 racers at once - madness)

mark christopher
15-08-2012, 10:24 AM
It would be good to have a subscription of £5 too oOPle and for that you can sell/buy for free. Buyers need to be free as so to encourage sales.
By having a subscription it could be set up to remind you every year. While jimmy deserves paying for his reports, to limit it to members cuts his work getting viewed by many world wide, they need to be free to promote oOPle/off road.
Tough you charge and the members/ traffic could drop.
To me annual subscription with free for sale adds, and maybe a £1 fee for all sales from non subscribers.

Cream
15-08-2012, 10:39 AM
I've donated a few times now, Happy to do so. I'd welcome a for sale payment. Needs to be viewable by buyers though.

I've also asked about a Advertisers section a couple of times via PM with no responce ;). Just though I'd post that in here as I know your on this topic Jimmy :). Might be out of my price bracket? but there is no harm in asking and it would mean I don't need to keep bumping my threads :blush:

ryanlownie
15-08-2012, 10:51 AM
Brilliant idea.

Although not knowingly for most people, the trade section on oOple is taken for granted.

You have a fantastic way of selling your gear aimed at only the right audience and the only fees you pay are those through PayPal payments.

I say do it, get them charged!

jimmy
15-08-2012, 10:52 AM
Hi mate, I know I know - give me a bit of time - at the moment this site has just been a pure hobby and done on evenings. We don't have a TV or anything - oople is all I do and sure I get burnt out and frustrated sometimes that I can't do all the stuff I want on it as I don't have the time / energy. Well that's changing.

DCM
15-08-2012, 11:14 AM
As much as I HATE paying for anything..... £5 to have access posting ads in the 'For Sale' section is something I think that is a simple way to stop spamming, scammers and target your private ads at the right people.

I would say, paid membership of any other kind I would frown upon, as that is why most of us ended here, RaceChat and their stupid paid membership thing, so you could have more than 10 pm's etc....

RichyUK
15-08-2012, 11:30 AM
My opinion on it is that i would have no issue at all in paying a small monthly fee to be a paid up oople member.

On a car forum that i'm a trader on, i pay to be a trader, and the members can either not pay to be a 'full member' but this limits their posts to 20 a month, and they get delayed access to view items for sale. The paid up members can post as much as they want and can view items for sale as soon as they are listed. they can also PM anyone where as non paid members cant use the PM system.

its a tricky one, as making people pay to have more benefits does drive some people away, but if its a small charge and their are some benefits for paying up (ie early access to the items for sale), then i'm sure everyone will be fine with it

:)

mpg200
15-08-2012, 12:13 PM
Being a member of another forum that has a subsciption 'Plus member' scheme. I do feel that it gives a them and us type of feel to the place, which I dont think would be right for oOple.
The paying for trade access for sellers seems to me to be more suitable. Personally I have not sold anything RC related I just keep getting bigger sheds. But if I were to go into therapy and be cured of my fear of selling, I would have no issues with paying a small subsciption for a sellers status. I have bought loads of stuff from oOple and never had a bad deal.

budfish
15-08-2012, 01:08 PM
Hi mate, I know I know - give me a bit of time - at the moment this site has just been a pure hobby and done on evenings. We don't have a TV or anything - oople is all I do and sure I get burnt out and frustrated sometimes that I can't do all the stuff I want on it as I don't have the time / energy. Well that's changing.

Great news your going to have more time to try and tweek oople which to me is a perfect forum (only one I've ever been registered with.

I think £5/£10 is a bargin to sell in the trade section where else do you get such service? I have sold some balls once on eBay sent them out by my usual method and the buyer said he never recieved them this has never happened on oople due to the fact everyone bar a few a honest people

Buds

hulmeytc3
15-08-2012, 01:13 PM
Very good idea,cant see why £5-£10 a year would be any problem for sellers as like it has been mentioned before ebay can take well over that for 1 sale!!!,i would pay without hesitation and remember this payment would also be helping the best rc site on the net, so a no brainer i think.

mark christopher
15-08-2012, 01:23 PM
you would get more of this though
http://oople.com/forums/showthread.php?p=684667#post684667

hulmeytc3
15-08-2012, 01:35 PM
Hi then a moderator could simply point the few that would do that in the direction of the for sale forum,its hardly going to happen hundreds of times,look at the overwhelming support for the idea,what ever field you are in some will always try to beat the system though for the sake of £5 hardly seems worth the trouble.

Col
15-08-2012, 02:35 PM
Just to clarify Jimmy's original post - the fee would be to post in the trade section only. Everyone would still be able to view the threads and still be able to PM everyone in order to purchase - nobody's status would change except that (unless you had paid the yearly fee) you wouldn't be able to POST in the trade section. Presumably this would apply throughout the trade section inc wanted and non-RC.

Cream
15-08-2012, 03:36 PM
If your having a play with it, Could it not be set up so you can't start new thread but can reply without it bumping up the threads?

JonyNitro
15-08-2012, 03:36 PM
£5 is fine

ceejay21
15-08-2012, 03:43 PM
I think it would be a great idea, i spend all the time on here sometimes just spooling through the excellent race reports i have read 100+ times :)

The reports that Jimmy puts together are great and provide loads of really interesting pics of the tech side of things and some banter :D

the forum will need some support or how else is it going to become even bigger and better than it already is? on the scammer front it can only improve the security and stop those dodgy rouge accounts using pics off Google Images.

i think its a good idea Jimmy if its done well, Tamiyaclub is massive at the moment and that's £15 annually so i dont think it will be that much of a problem.

HarlowS
15-08-2012, 04:10 PM
The other issue though is that the majority of the scams have come from people IM'ing direct from the wanted adds, the subscription wouldnt unfortunately make any difference to them.

Ross
15-08-2012, 04:53 PM
Just to clarify Jimmy's original post - the fee would be to post in the trade section only. Everyone would still be able to view the threads and still be able to PM everyone in order to purchase - nobody's status would change except that (unless you had paid the yearly fee) you wouldn't be able to POST in the trade section. Presumably this would apply throughout the trade section inc wanted and non-RC.

I don't see the issue with the fee to sell, but to have to pay to post in the wanted section is not a good idea :p

jimmy
15-08-2012, 04:53 PM
The other issue though is that the majority of the scams have come from people IM'ing direct from the wanted adds, the subscription wouldnt unfortunately make any difference to them.


I spotted these and kept banning them. I've spotted most of the say guys attempts at PMing people - you are right that I can't stop people from PMing each other - but I've put warnings up and asked people to inform me of anything slightly sus.

There's been enough dodgy adverts in the past - it's only because we keep an eye on it that it's not still there.

Cream
15-08-2012, 05:25 PM
The other issue though is that the majority of the scams have come from people IM'ing direct from the wanted adds, the subscription wouldnt unfortunately make any difference to them.


I think the answer there is an easy one. Only deal with people you know or know you can trust.

Br00kie
15-08-2012, 06:42 PM
Hi

My few pence worth of thoughts. My view on a paid subscription is that it would restrict what is now a very open forum with every member sharing equal status into a 2 tier system for "elite" and "ordinary" members with a certain amount of pressure on new and existing members to upgrade or miss out.

I do however believe that a charge should be made for the use of the For Sale section of the site. I would place a flat rate charge of £1.50 for private adverts and then let the vendor choose to incorporate the fee into the cost of the item or arrange with the purchaser to share the cost.

An arrangement could be made with retail advertisers for a discounted rate for volume use as seen fit.

On a very quick calculation, there have been approx 7200 adverts placed in the For Sale section this year 7200 X £1.50 = £10800.00 a very useful amount by anyones reckoning.

Please don't slate me remember it's only an opinion :)


Steve

dibble34
15-08-2012, 07:42 PM
I suspect if you charged to advertise you would get less adverts so may not be £10000. I think it all should stay free, but agree we should contribute to the running of the site that we all enjoy. Question is how? Maybe all clubs should hold an oople sponsor race once a year where the profits go to oople. I suspect that is a bad idea, but an idea non the less:blush:

mark christopher
15-08-2012, 08:38 PM
Jimmy £5 for a years free for sale ads! :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

SlowOne
15-08-2012, 08:39 PM
£5 is a small price to pay to help Jimmy police the for-sale section and maintain it's high standard. Some people think it is OK, and some don't.

Perhaps we could make the fiver a donation, and get a little tag under our names. Those that want to pay, pay, and those that don't, don't. When you're on the for-sale section you can see who thinks it is good manners and good form to put something back into a service that is being funded out of Jimmy's pocket... and which think it is OK for Jimmy to pay for their convenience and security. Before you buy you make your own decision.

Just my (slightly biased!) thoughts...

Cream
15-08-2012, 08:55 PM
Perhaps we could make the fiver a donation, and get a little tag under our names. Those that want to pay, pay, and those that don't, don't. When you're on the for-sale section you can see who thinks it is good manners and good form to put something back into a service that is being funded out of Jimmy's pocket... and which think it is OK for Jimmy to pay for their convenience and security. Before you buy you make your own decision.

Just my (slightly biased!) thoughts...

We already have that, But I still don't have a tag under my name :cry: :p

Skye
15-08-2012, 09:39 PM
I have read through all of this and agree that some sort of funding is a good idea, but as most people have already said - the question is how?

In my opinion the best approach is to not be too dependant on any one source as you end up with a definite sink or swim situation and things could just sink. The key is for people to believe they are getting value for money, if they perceive something to be good value for money then the take up will be high. Everybody loves a bargain!! :D

I would agree with a fee on sales transacted via oOple is fair, although personally I would think either a percentage figure of the sale or fixed monetary rate would be better than an annual fee. Someome would have to do the number crunching to see which was most beneficial to oOple. I guess enforcing the percentage of sale fee would also be more difficult as it is open to manipulation....

Another aspect I would look at would be to ramp up the oOple merchandise, have t shirts, hoodies, pit towels, decals etc all for sale directly from the site.

Another potential huge earner could be click through referral payments from the advertisers on the site. So anyone who clicks through to an online retailer and purchases something, a percentage of the sale or a fixed fee goes to oOple. I appreciate that retailers margins are tight so I'm not suggesting they give large percentages, but a fraction of a percentage would all add up. This is a huge money spinner on the web in general so could be something to consider!?

Also the oOple race.... I don't know the financials of it as it stands but this could be a real cash cow for the site if the numbers were right and it was marketed correctly. Just about every small independent club relies largely on an annual flag ship event to fund the next 12 months. Whether that be a rugby club running a tournament, a club holding some sort of sale or whatever else it may be. If marketed correctly then I am sure all those attending would be happy to pay that little bit extra to fund the running of oOple. As well as the entry fee there would also be plenty of opportunity to raise additional funds during the event. So things like raffles, contracted catering with a percentage of takings, race sponsorship etc.

I am sure there are many other potential revenue streams but off the top of my head these few certainly wouldn't hurt...?

sime46
16-08-2012, 02:39 AM
How about an Oople national series for the club level guys who can't get into the nationals. Casual fun series maybe 6 rounds similar format to the Invernational. I'd bet that'd be over-subscribed for every round. I'd be all over that. Proceeds to host club and Oople. Generate revenue and get a great race series out of it too. Win win in my book.

Br00kie
16-08-2012, 06:27 AM
Hi

Skye's post pretty much sums it up:thumbsup:

coleman758
16-08-2012, 08:12 AM
How about an Oople national series for the club level guys who can't get into the nationals. Casual fun series maybe 6 rounds similar format to the Invernational. I'd bet that'd be over-subscribed for every round. I'd be all over that. Proceeds to host club and Oople. Generate revenue and get a great race series out of it too. Win win in my book.

Nail on the head! That would be ace....

Pretty much 6 small oOple Races through the year! :woot:

mark christopher
16-08-2012, 08:57 AM
How about an Oople national series for the club level guys who can't get into the nationals. Casual fun series maybe 6 rounds similar format to the Invernational. I'd bet that'd be over-subscribed for every round. I'd be all over that. Proceeds to host club and Oople. Generate revenue and get a great race series out of it too. Win win in my book.

Nail on the head! That would be ace....

Pretty much 6 small oOple Races through the year! :woot:

I have read through all of this and agree that some sort of funding is a good idea, but as most people have already said - the question is how?

In my opinion the best approach is to not be too dependant on any one source as you end up with a definite sink or swim situation and things could just sink. The key is for people to believe they are getting value for money, if they perceive something to be good value for money then the take up will be high. Everybody loves a bargain!! :D

I would agree with a fee on sales transacted via oOple is fair, although personally I would think either a percentage figure of the sale or fixed monetary rate would be better than an annual fee. Someome would have to do the number crunching to see which was most beneficial to oOple. I guess enforcing the percentage of sale fee would also be more difficult as it is open to manipulation....

Another aspect I would look at would be to ramp up the oOple merchandise, have t shirts, hoodies, pit towels, decals etc all for sale directly from the site.

Another potential huge earner could be click through referral payments from the advertisers on the site. So anyone who clicks through to an online retailer and purchases something, a percentage of the sale or a fixed fee goes to oOple. I appreciate that retailers margins are tight so I'm not suggesting they give large percentages, but a fraction of a percentage would all add up. This is a huge money spinner on the web in general so could be something to consider!?

Also the oOple race.... I don't know the financials of it as it stands but this could be a real cash cow for the site if the numbers were right and it was marketed correctly. Just about every small independent club relies largely on an annual flag ship event to fund the next 12 months. Whether that be a rugby club running a tournament, a club holding some sort of sale or whatever else it may be. If marketed correctly then I am sure all those attending would be happy to pay that little bit extra to fund the running of oOple. As well as the entry fee there would also be plenty of opportunity to raise additional funds during the event. So things like raffles, contracted catering with a percentage of takings, race sponsorship etc.

I am sure there are many other potential revenue streams but off the top of my head these few certainly wouldn't hurt...?

like the pit towels !

what ever jimmy decides it needs to be easy to apply, the last thing i would think he needs is more work to action it, pay per sale post would meen somone chasing or setting up every transaction, a subscription simply means jimmy allows you acess to post in the for sale section, , same goes for big meeting etc, jimmy and the crew put an awfull lot of time into the oople meeting, of which i would think is sparce.

also the shops pay to advertize on here, so to ask more for each sale may be a step to far?

budfish
16-08-2012, 09:04 AM
How about an Oople national series for the club level guys who can't get into the nationals. Casual fun series maybe 6 rounds similar format to the Invernational. I'd bet that'd be over-subscribed for every round. I'd be all over that. Proceeds to host club and Oople. Generate revenue and get a great race series out of it too. Win win in my book.



I think I remember a thread by jimmy a few months ago actually suggesting that and asking for ideas/thoughts on such a series.with jimmy saying he's going to put more time into Oople next year which sounds to me that he might be giving up work to make the site more profitable so maybe he can earn a living with Oople alone or some freelance work on top either way I think he really deserves it. Some one mentioned tamiya club earlier in the thread they charge £15 well why shouldn't Oople ?


I reckon with a full time team this site could be even better and the Oople series just one spin off of what's possible from the boys at Oople HQ (sorry and lady)

budfish
16-08-2012, 09:14 AM
also the shops pay to advertize on here, so to ask more for each sale may be a step to far?

I don't agree mark jimmy once told me how much the web hosting costs alone also all the reports and traveling expenses it must cost to give us the race reports we all love. I reckon he will be doing well just to break even.he and the team gave birth to Oople so it's only fair he should reap the benefits as the site becomes more commercially viable.i don't think anyone on here would disagree with that

Neil Skull
16-08-2012, 09:21 AM
To £5.00 to sell on OOple for a year is great idea,

mark christopher
16-08-2012, 09:55 AM
I don't agree mark jimmy once told me how much the web hosting costs alone also all the reports and traveling expenses it must cost to give us the race reports we all love. I reckon he will be doing well just to break even.he and the team gave birth to Oople so it's only fair he should reap the benefits as the site becomes more commercially viable.i don't think anyone on here would disagree with that
im not saying jimmy should not profit from oople at all, what im saying is a shop pays for an advert/section on here, if then pay a comission for anyone using the link may push that shop away as it will cut thier margine.

bodgit
16-08-2012, 10:48 AM
Just a thought. How about a raffle before christmass.
oOple tshirts stickers etc Sponsers may wish to donate prizes.

budfish
16-08-2012, 12:12 PM
im not saying jimmy should not profit from oople at all, what im saying is a shop pays for an advert/section on here, if then pay a comission for anyone using the link may push that shop away as it will cut thier margine.

I understand what your saying an oople tax off the link would be a bad thing it would be like paying twice

Skye
16-08-2012, 01:22 PM
im not saying jimmy should not profit from oople at all, what im saying is a shop pays for an advert/section on here, if then pay a comission for anyone using the link may push that shop away as it will cut thier margine.

I agree that it would be unreasonable to charge the retailers twice, but maybe a renogatiation of terms wouldn't be out of the question. Pay per click type referrals are pretty standard things these days and can be beneficial to both parties, particularly if they are linked to actual sales rather than just page accessions.