View Full Version : B44 diff build - help!
scoyle
31-08-2012, 05:51 PM
I bought a secondhand B44 and I have stripped it down and I am in the process of building it back up. The previous owner did not have the diff springs in the diffs for some reason but I decided I wanted to build the diff by the manual so I bought new springs and new rings.
My problem is trying to get the diff screw to meet the T-nut - when the spring is put in the screw top is about 2mm or so below the top of the spring and I cannot seem to find a way to compress the T-nut down on the spring so that the screw meets the t-nut to start screwing it together... is there a technique to this or am I doing something wrong?
Stephen
discostu
31-08-2012, 06:00 PM
Have you got the bolt and thrust race in the correct out drive and vice versed the t but should be in the longer out drive
Steven Forster
31-08-2012, 06:01 PM
I bought a secondhand B44 and I have stripped it down and I am in the process of building it back up. The previous owner did not have the diff springs in the diffs for some reason but I decided I wanted to build the diff by the manual so I bought new springs and new rings.
My problem is trying to get the diff screw to meet the T-nut - when the spring is put in the screw top is about 2mm or so below the top of the spring and I cannot seem to find a way to compress the T-nut down on the spring so that the screw meets the t-nut to start screwing it together... is there a technique to this or am I doing something wrong?
Stephen
Did you compress the spring a few times before installing it ?
heres a video clip for you too look at :D
IIYPol1udUo&feature
discostu
31-08-2012, 06:01 PM
Are you also 100 present positive there was no spring cos the diff wouldn't have worked.
old springs not still in there is it? been there done that:blush:
SamRCRacing
31-08-2012, 06:05 PM
Is the spring stuck in the outdrive, with two springs that will make it hard to get the screw and t-nut to meet.
discostu
31-08-2012, 06:05 PM
Did you compress the spring a few times before installing it ?
heres a video clip for you too look at :D
IIYPol1udUo&feature
You shouldn't need to compress the spring this is done to keep it consistent to a point
But that not the problem from what is discribed the bolt end is 2mm below the spring that has to be somthing wrong
scoyle
31-08-2012, 06:09 PM
Are you also 100 present positive there was no spring cos the diff wouldn't have worked.
Absolutely positive - I never ran the buggy before stripping it down but there was definitely no spring in there.
scoyle
31-08-2012, 06:11 PM
Update... I did manage to get it to compressed enough with brute force and started tightening up the screw with the T-nut. How close do the ears on the T-nut get before it should be tight?
I was tightening it up and every so often turning the diff outdrives with a hex driver in each end - I could still turn them so kept tightening the screw... and then it snapped so I guess I was tightening it too much :blush:
scoyle
31-08-2012, 06:19 PM
Ok I am so far beyond embarrassed... there was an extemely compressed spring in there... :blush:
Will crawl away and build my diffs now...
SamRCRacing
31-08-2012, 06:20 PM
I do it all the time!:woot:
discostu
31-08-2012, 06:39 PM
Ok I am so far beyond embarrassed... there was an extemely compressed spring in there... :blush:
Will crawl away and build my diffs now...
:D:D:D
vBulletin® v3.8.7, Copyright ©2000-2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.