View Full Version : Trucks for winter series or fun?
wylie
09-09-2012, 08:20 PM
After seeing Steve's Losi 22t going round the track, I thought the same as Steve, that this would be a good fun class to have over the winter period, But I would also like to have a set of new rules to make the class cheaper and prolong the the finals. (these 5 minute finals are so out dated going back to ni-cad days:eh?:)
My suggestions would be a motor limit of 8.5t to allow users the option of cheaper electronics, this would allow us to have ten minute finals.
Any views welcome and post up what you would like to see!
Cammers
10-09-2012, 04:55 PM
I think this is worth discussing as my 22t is in the post.
bluedakar
10-09-2012, 05:27 PM
I think this is worth discussing as my 22t is in the post.
Sounds good would kit tyres be used?
wylie
10-09-2012, 05:29 PM
I believe it doesn't come with tyres.
bluedakar
10-09-2012, 05:32 PM
so what tyres do we use?
Stephen bought Schumacher yellow mini pins on rear and some sort of Schumacher blocks on front. They are good fun and would well be worth having a heat of stadium buggys.
wylie
10-09-2012, 06:24 PM
I will be ordering one soon.
bluedakar
10-09-2012, 06:29 PM
so will i.
dibble34
10-09-2012, 06:36 PM
This could be a bargain for one of you, especially if you put a cheeky offer in
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/tlr-22t-22-losi-team-associated-mugan-xray-yokomo-hpi-team-durango-ansmann-/290772938270?pt=UK_ToysGames_RadioControlled_JN&hash=item43b36aee1e
M.Andrews
10-09-2012, 06:43 PM
Are the stadium trucks better than the short course trucks?.
Are the stadium trucks better than the short course trucks?.
All day long mate. you can race them on astro like normal buggys.
SteveB
10-09-2012, 07:37 PM
so what tyres do we use?
Guys
Really enjoyable to drive, only fun and should not become serous but having ten trucks bashing around could be allot of fun. The tlr 22t was a present and a fantastic kit tbh, cheap and very strong, only need to replace balls in diff to carbide, also purchase rear mini spike yellow Schu, also staggered rib front tyres, no idea for wet, but was great for jumping and having fun lol
MrMagoo
10-09-2012, 08:02 PM
This could be a bargain for one of you, especially if you put a cheeky offer in
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/tlr-22t-22-losi-team-associated-mugan-xray-yokomo-hpi-team-durango-ansmann-/290772938270?pt=UK_ToysGames_RadioControlled_JN&hash=item43b36aee1e
Oy... I was watching that!:lol:
knighthawk
10-09-2012, 08:30 PM
I used to race trucks back in the day, early 90's with a AE RC10T
Much more fun than the buggies in respect to its a fun class, slam it on the track and just run it
I would buy a 22T tomorrow , cash allowing
Superstar
10-09-2012, 10:02 PM
This would be awesome!!! Iv always wanted to race stadium tracks, they look so cool but they still handle! Iv never been a fan of short course as I just see no fun in driving cars that are slow, wallow about and just dont handle.
If there was a heat at TORCH over the winter I would be all over that! :lol:
wylie
11-09-2012, 12:25 PM
What are peoples thoughts on'
Motor limit?
Tyres?
ESC?
Finals length?
I would like to see,
Motor limit; 8.5T
Tyres; Schumacher Mini spike rears (probably the only option)
ESC; Any brand and any cost.
Final length; 10 Minute's
dibble34
11-09-2012, 12:33 PM
I think a lot of people will chuck whatever spare motor they have in so best not to set a limit. Personally dont think it would be fair to have 10 minute runs for trucks when everone else has 5 minutes. It adds complications i'd of thought. For example should you pay more to race? Why do i have to marshall you for 10 minutes and you only have to marshall me for 5
Doh, not going to able to do much winter racing :bored: but if I could I’d definitely be up for one of these – I always liked the looks of the short course trucks but not the way they appeared to handle so these might be somewhere in between and be great for when you did not want to run your full race car over the winter.
If you want to keep it lower cost than normal buggies then I think you need to let people use what they already have otherwise they have to go out and buy stuff specifically for this. Definitely one control tyre though as you do not want to have to buy another boxful of wheels/tyres.
How about skipping a heat of qualifying for the trucks to allow for 10 min finals? Unless you get loads of them you have all made the A final anyway so qualifying is really just sorting the grid. Need something different to keep the fun in racing. .
Rob
bluedakar
11-09-2012, 04:21 PM
After talking to Tony rc today i would be up for racing a truck but would like to know if the club/comittee would be willing to run a class for these trucks.
Would be good if a motor limit is set as for tyres i think there is only one brand to use.
A longer race or final would be nice but i can't see that happening but worth asking.
How many would we need to run a class and could there be a championship?
MrMagoo
11-09-2012, 04:41 PM
Definitely interested in some truck action... loves me trucks! Not sure finances will stretch that far yet, I'd definitely want to know there was a series to race them in before dropping the $$$.
Motor limit is definitely a good idea I think, could be combined with blinky mode speedos to keep the costs down and focus on the driver more than raw power. I t would also help people run longer finals by keeping motors cooler and meaning that big batteries weren't a must. A cost capped RC class has to be a winner for getting new blood into the hobby.
wylie
11-09-2012, 05:52 PM
I would happily give up a round of qualiyfing to do longer finals, I see no sense in doing 5 minute qualifying to do a a 5 minute final. seems very outdated.
Perhaps the other classes would like to consider these options later. ( not to be discussed here though )
Crazy L
11-09-2012, 06:43 PM
Hmmm, I wish I had kept my XXT now.
ok, who's got a 1/10th leccy truck they wanna swap for an RC8 roller? lol
Crazy L
26-09-2012, 11:43 AM
So, this subject has died a quiet death. I was keeping an eye on this too. Anymore for anymore?
Cammers
26-09-2012, 04:43 PM
Mine is ready to roll, if weather is good it will be rolling Sunday. :thumbsup:
AmiSMB
26-09-2012, 04:55 PM
A class I do not have a car for :(
Crazy L
26-09-2012, 06:47 PM
A class I do not have a car for :(
Shocking mate:o, you oughtta be ashamed of yourself:lol::lol:
Cammers is out the blocks early
SteveB
26-09-2012, 07:22 PM
Mine is ready to roll, if weather is good it will be rolling Sunday. :thumbsup:
Guys
My thoughts are that they will envolve and become a regular class, we need to use as a bit of fun and then a believe at the first winter series meeting become an active part of the series, this had not been discussed with the full commitee yet. I do not believe there will be an issue with running a truck class, as long as min of 7 support each meeting.
So there's me and cammers, who else has one?
Not thought about wet tyres yet, but will find out what works lol
This will be a class that I run along with 2 or 4wd class btw
Thanks Steve
jpmatrix
27-09-2012, 07:14 AM
Dms racing are doing some good deals.
This caught my attention
http://www.dms-racing.com/fruzat/qaxabast.asp?manufacturer=Losi&product=LOSB0101&PageURL=fruzat/nufrucre.asp?manufacturer=Losi
£114.95 for a brushless truck with transmitter seems to be a no brainer.
Any thoughts on it?
Dms racing are doing some good deals.
This caught my attention
http://www.dms-racing.com/fruzat/qaxabast.asp?manufacturer=Losi&product=LOSB0101&PageURL=fruzat/nufrucre.asp?manufacturer=Losi
£114.95 for a brushless truck with transmitter seems to be a no brainer.
Any thoughts on it?
If you are looking at the RTR stuff I think you might be better looking at something like this:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Team-Associated-RC10T4-RS-RTR-Race-Spec-Truck-AS7024-/130726090455?pt=UK_ToysGames_RadioControlled_JN&hash=item1e6fe1d6d7
£140 for a RTR RC10T4 seems a pretty good price and spares will be a bit easier to get hold of.
Personally if I was going to get a truck I think I would probably go for a Losi 22T like Steve and Cammers - £170 and stick some old spare electrics in it.
Despite the likelihood of not being being able to race much over winter I am still tempted. Hoping to pop down on Sunday and to have a look at the trucks and try and steal a go on someone's - I'll take it easy I promise.:woot:
Rob
Crazy L
27-09-2012, 08:48 PM
Hoping to pop down on Sunday and to have a look at the trucks and try and steal a go on someone's
OI!! That was my idea too:lol::thumbsup:
OI!! That was my idea too:lol::thumbsup:
OMG - apparently I'm starting to think like Crazy L :cry::p
Crazy L
28-09-2012, 06:06 PM
OMG - apparently I'm starting to think like Crazy L :cry::p
It's only when you start to look like him you have to worry:lol::lol:
Any truck action yesterday? Could not get down for various dull reasons:bored:
Rob
SteveB
01-10-2012, 05:55 PM
Any truck action yesterday? Could not get down for various dull reasons:bored:
Rob
Rob
Cammers brought his down, so me and cammers confirmed, just hoping others will join us lol, Brian B is interested I think, tony RC is a possible, aim to get a heat for the winter series
Thanks
Briangb
01-10-2012, 06:47 PM
'TRUCKS'. Yes. Mine will be with me this week. Busy for the next few weeks though; then away for a week. With any luck , may have built for start of Winter Series. I am away all that week, and not home till the Saturday, (27th October), so will have to see. Should be fun. Watched a video on Youtube. The Losi 22T was on the track with several other 1/10 buggies. Every time the truck caught a buggy, the buggies seemed to fall over in amazement. Or was it intimidation. Class!! Bring it on
Crazy L
01-10-2012, 09:31 PM
Me and Cammers confirmed, hoping others will join us lol, Brian B is interested I think, tony RC is a possible, aim to get a heat for the winter series
I'm up for a bit of trucking action :thumbsup:. I am after all, the Last Monster Trucker :lol:.
Just gotta look at bank balance etc.
Cammers
04-10-2012, 03:16 PM
So far with people who have trucks, me and Steve, and people who have ordered trucks and people that say they are getting a truck, I count 9 trucks, so be a good heat.
Come on you guys, get them ordered, get them built and get them on the track.:thumbsup:
You know it doesn't make sense but be a laugh :lol:
Briangb
04-10-2012, 06:40 PM
Hi Truckers.
Well I have mine now. With any luck, I may be able to start build this weekend. In all honesty, I am doubtful that it will be ready for 28th, for reason stated previously. I have a good feeling about November though. Must see Mr. Magoo for a paint job. I will try and get to the track Sunday morning to see what set ups people have. Looking forward to this. Should be fun.
bluedakar
04-10-2012, 07:41 PM
Where is everyone getting there TRUCKS from?
Hi,
I believe most people went to MB Models.
Cammers
05-10-2012, 04:48 PM
Mine fron je models, but im not most people:p
Mine fron je models, but im not most people:p
very true :lol:
Crazy L
05-10-2012, 07:03 PM
Here's a thoroughly silly question: What motors are people using in their rigs? Thought I'd ask, as I doubt it's anything like 5.5 :woot:
Darren Boyle
05-10-2012, 07:29 PM
Where is everyone getting there TRUCKS from?
:wub I think we may have shipped a few in that direction ;)
Briangb
05-10-2012, 09:45 PM
I can vouch for that. First class service Darren. Many thanks.
Briangb
05-10-2012, 09:48 PM
He sure has. First class service as usual. Many thanks Darren.
Briangb
05-10-2012, 09:52 PM
Oh dear. I didn't think the first response was received. Anyway, a good piece of
marketing for DMS Racing. Always excellent service provided by Darren.
Thanks mate. Very much appreciated.
Darren Boyle
05-10-2012, 10:51 PM
LOL you are most welcome, thanks for the plug(s).
Seems trucks are getting popular down that way, I may have to build up one of the new X60-CF's when they come out and come and have a play over the winter with it myself at some stage too.......
Crazy L
08-10-2012, 07:58 PM
What motors are people using
Secret huh?
Oh yeah, Mr Boyle at DMS gets my vote too as a top geezer. Ordered my fair share of oddments over the years and he's always come up trumps.
Darren Boyle
08-10-2012, 09:32 PM
Secret huh?
Oh yeah, Mr Boyle at DMS gets my vote too as a top geezer. Ordered my fair share of oddments over the years and he's always come up trumps.
Thankyou kindly, but to be honest I could not do anything without the team around me (John, Matt, Michele and Lisa) its a big team effort at our place.
Motor wise in a truck....... 6.5 always gets my vote, a Vampire one at that :D
Crazy L
08-10-2012, 09:59 PM
Motor wise in a truck....... 6.5 always gets my vote :D
Surely you jest squire? :woot:
Darren Boyle
09-10-2012, 08:08 AM
Surely you jest squire? :woot:
No, dead serious, more traction and stabilty than a 2wd buggy, hence I motor up one turn (normally run a 7.5 in my 2wd)
Cammers
09-10-2012, 04:05 PM
Crazy, you drove mine with 6.5, not like it then?
Crazy L
09-10-2012, 05:34 PM
Crazy, you drove mine with 6.5, not like it then?
Did I really? I had the idea for some unknown reason the gearbox was nomming on an 8.5, I stand corrected. Yes, I did like it btw :D
6.5 it is then.
lordnikon
12-10-2012, 05:11 PM
Assuming there is no limit on what we can run in this then as i am just about to take the plunge for some shits and giggles :D
Crazy L
12-10-2012, 10:23 PM
i am just about to take the plunge for some shits and giggles :D
Doesn't sound like that has anything to do with RC mate, We're not that sort of "club" pmsl :lol:
Randall34
13-10-2012, 02:45 PM
I am loving the idea of racing stadium trucks, I haven't been down to TORCH all year (ashamedly so) and yes i have missed you lot.
Trying to sell the SC truck i bought in April (and never raced) to fund a possible truck comeback (just for fun, obviously - my serious racing days are long gone - they actually never came back last time)
So i will plump for a 22t kit and a 6.5t motor, add some ceramic balls and some schuey tyres (... advice from earlier in the post) and i'll be ready.
Hope to catch up with you guys at the track next month.
Neil
I am loving the idea of racing stadium trucks, I haven't been down to TORCH all year (ashamedly so) and yes i have missed you lot.
Trying to sell the SC truck i bought in April (and never raced) to fund a possible truck comeback (just for fun, obviously - my serious racing days are long gone - they actually never came back last time)
So i will plump for a 22t kit and a 6.5t motor, add some ceramic balls and some schuey tyres (... advice from earlier in the post) and i'll be ready.
Hope to catch up with you guys at the track next month.
Neil
Hi Neil,
Good to here you fancy a bit of truck racing. Lets face it, racing is all meant too be fun. Thats why we want to get at least 7 stadium trucks to get a heat worth running. By last count I think we are at 7, possibly more. Dont think Stephen has worked out the tyre for the wet yet. sure when someone does discover the wet tyre they will inform.
See you soon trucked up.
Dan
SteveB
24-10-2012, 06:49 PM
All
Anyone who is interested in running their truck this weekend, please indicate this on this thread.
If we manage 5 or 6 it's a go for the heat, this will support marshalling for juniors if sufficient numbers attend.
I still have not found a suitable tyre choice yet for wet/damp conditions so will be rolling with Schumacher mini spike yellows.
A pointer for trucks there is no controlled tyre. No championship just fun, lets see how it develops and go from there. All other incentives will still apply.
Thanks Steve
freddie
24-10-2012, 07:00 PM
Is it stadium trucks or short course ?
SteveB
24-10-2012, 07:20 PM
Is it stadium trucks or short course ?
Freddy
Not going to stop any short course racing, it's a bit of fun and something to watch for all, not about driving like miss daisy and maybe having a little contact and close racing. Not about a bash around but not about who's got the fastest car or most expensive car or who wins, pure fun, no pressure. This is about bring new people in to RC and making it cheap option for people.
Thanks
freddie
24-10-2012, 08:03 PM
Hi steve
Was just thinking about letting my on have a bash around with a truck for the second round would you let a 7 year old race in with trucks he normally races a 22 at taplow ?
Cammers
25-10-2012, 03:09 PM
Steve, Im in stadium truck heat, Tony Scott and Rob Higgs and I think Brian Burgess have them I will try to get them to post.
mikeyscott
25-10-2012, 03:13 PM
Hi steve
Was just thinking about letting my on have a bash around with a truck for the second round would you let a 7 year old race in with trucks he normally races a 22 at taplow ?
Of course we would.
Briangb
25-10-2012, 03:52 PM
Steve, Im in stadium truck heat, Tony Scott and Rob Higgs and I think Brian Burgess have them I will try to get them to post.
Hi Cammers. Yes I do have one but will not be ready for this week. I am out of the country until late Saturday afternoon, so will be struggling to make Sunday in any form, although DB1 just needs batteries to be charged. That will be my preference assuming I make it. The 22T just needs the electrics fitted and hope to see MrMagoo on Sunday to organise the shell paint. Also don't have any lipos yet for the truck. I will be most interested to see any trucks to have a look at the electrics installations. Hope to see you all on Sunday.
wylie
25-10-2012, 06:17 PM
Im in.
Lets bring this fun class of racing up to date and use the capacity of our batteries let us not be restricted to 1980's battery rules, I tried to discuss this earlier!!! come on, the tech has moved on, lets set an example to other classes.
Five minute qualifying, 10 minute finals.
hotrodchris
25-10-2012, 06:50 PM
Hi Cammers. Yes I do have one but will not be ready for this week. I am out of the country until late Saturday afternoon, so will be struggling to make Sunday in any form, although DB1 just needs batteries to be charged. That will be my preference assuming I make it. The 22T just needs the electrics fitted and hope to see MrMagoo on Sunday to organise the shell paint. Also don't have any lipos yet for the truck. I will be most interested to see any trucks to have a look at the electrics installations. Hope to see you all on Sunday.
Brian frost due sat pm so track will be wet so may be better with your fs2?
Crazy L
25-10-2012, 07:49 PM
Not got my truck yet either guys:thumbdown:, will have it soon I hope. Most probably be doing next round with it though:thumbsup: Betcha cant wait.
Tony RC has a point, but it may prove a pain in the arse to make the bbk software do something different in the middle of the day. Not to mention that we still race all the other classes in '80s formats, cos rules is rules.
We all know the brca can be a bit backward in coming forward but I guess that's the way it is. I'm rambling here but look how long it took them to accept 2.4ghz, couple of years for that one.
Briangb
25-10-2012, 08:14 PM
Brian frost due sat pm so track will be wet so may be better with your fs2?
Thanks for the heads up Chris. Looks like I may be busy Saturday night then.
RudeTony
25-10-2012, 08:16 PM
At this rate lads i am going to have to get myself a RT5 Kyosho and come and play too!
Cammers
26-10-2012, 05:07 PM
At this rate lads i am going to have to get myself a RT5 Kyosho and come and play too!
Just for fun thou :lol:
mikeyscott
26-10-2012, 05:40 PM
At this rate lads i am going to have to get myself a RT5 Kyosho and come and play too!
Now the best truck to have :) - could be deemed a bit of an advantage :p
M.Andrews
26-10-2012, 06:31 PM
Liking the look of the RT5!. Nice design of the quick release wheels(like the 1/8th on road system).:thumbsup:
SteveB
26-10-2012, 06:46 PM
Liking the look of the RT5!. Nice design of the quick release wheels(like the 1/8th on road system).:thumbsup:
Mark pits stops in five minute racing lol, I guess your looking at one then Mark?
M.Andrews
26-10-2012, 09:17 PM
Mark pits stops in five minute racing lol, I guess your looking at one then Mark?
Good times racing 1/8th on road :). I found my receipts from the Bells shop in my paper work the other day(having a clear out),can't believe I was spending £120-£240 a month on spares and tyres back then!. Nothing compared to what you were spending back then Steve!(nothing changes for you!!).
I may get a stadium truck,they look like fun but not seen them go properly yet!.
Randall34
01-11-2012, 01:53 PM
got my 22t built, just need to spray the shell and im there. Try and make a morning meeting soon and then a winter series. Only thing is thay this is my only rc carat the mo, so its a long way to come for a play in the lunch break.
vBulletin® v3.8.7, Copyright ©2000-2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.