PDA

View Full Version : Kyosho Small Bore Springs


neallewis
10-09-2012, 03:51 PM
I'm after some clarification on the ratings of small bore (zx-5) springs (http://www.petitrc.com/setup/kyosho/setupzx5/ZX5_SpringRates.htm):

I've seen conflicting information regarding the rate of the Silver fronts (w5181-09) some tables say 3.30lb/in, some say 3.75lb/in. Also I can't find a rating for the cobalt rears?

A lot of the multi-vendor spring charts include the same data, so one was taken from the other. Mistakes are duplicated, however.

There is this: http://www.oople.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=1607&d=1198454439

This: http://www.petitrc.com/setup/BuggySpringChart.pdf

This: http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n139/alexei_s/springchart.jpg

and this: http://www.oople.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=38416&d=1338546060

I just want to see a complete rate listing for the entire range of kyosho springs. Can anyone help please?

neallewis
10-09-2012, 03:56 PM
Ah actually that last attachment I posted has the cobalt rate!

So ok, it's clarification on the silver fronts rating I'd like.

Reason being I've seen them being run on Associated shocks as alternatives to the very short AE silvers. I've been told they are a very similar rate, but if the charts are to be believed, they aren't?

neallewis
10-09-2012, 04:09 PM
Just found this also: http://www.keilorrc.org.au/forms/Spring%20Rate%20Chart.pdf

RogerM
10-09-2012, 04:44 PM
The Kyosho silvers are between the AE silver and AE blue rates, nearer silver.

I measured, using a £50k indutrial compressive test machine, a load of springs form many manufactures a couple of years ago ... just need to remember which website has that information on it!

From my experiments so far virtually all the big bore spring charts are wildly wrong (same machine as above) but unfortunately I didn't get offered many sets of big bore springs to measure when I had time and now I no longer have the time to do so. Maybe in the future.

gazhillAE
10-09-2012, 05:22 PM
I thought they were 3.7-3.85
Rich Lowe has since advised me there 3.30
Weird

gazhillAE
10-09-2012, 05:23 PM
http://www.modrc.com/reference/offroad_springs.php

gazhillAE
10-09-2012, 05:26 PM
http://www.the-pred.co.uk/zencart/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=35_64_119_111_113&products_id=490

KennyClark
10-09-2012, 05:44 PM
Kyosho Buggy Front #70 Silver 3.3lb 45mm Part #w5181-09

Rich D
10-09-2012, 05:48 PM
Kyosho do two different silver front springs too just to add to the confusion so make sure you know which you are using.

W5192-30 "30" rated ( Ultima RB5 kit spring )

and

W5181-09 "70" rated

gazhillAE
10-09-2012, 07:18 PM
Kyosho Buggy Front #70 Silver 3.3lb 45mm Part #w5181-09

These arnt 3.3lb are they?
3.85lb?

neallewis
10-09-2012, 08:17 PM
So what's the answer? All the responses conflict. Tested versus quoted ratings differ, I suspect quoted ratings are taken from reference sheets I linked, which I'm unsure i believe?

If the ky silver were 3.30 lb/in, then why isn't a similar rated ae spring used instead, like black 3.20 or green 3.50?
I suspect they are actually closer to the area silver rating 3.85.

It is the w5181-09 "#70" I'm interested in not the much softer/shorter other one. Or is this the mix up that's been made on the comparison sheets?

I guess the question is what is the kyosho rating in real numbers

neallewis
11-09-2012, 09:14 AM
Well my kyosho W5181-09 #70 springs turned up this morning (Thanks Insideline racing). There is no mention of the spring rate on the packet, other than the #70 kyosho rating.

In my fingers, compared to the AE silver, they feel a touch harder, but not as hard as the ae blues. Which puts them where I think they are in the rating, not at 3.30lb/in as per the charts.
On the shocks, again they compare and feel like AE silvers, but have better travel as the spring isn't contacting with the side of the shock. The length is the right fit for the shock body too, rather than being much too short like the ae silvers.
I'll have to give them a run on the track, but so far, they are staying on the car.:thumbsup:

RogerM
11-09-2012, 11:28 AM
When I measured them I got 3.74lb/" (that was on a set that had been used for a month or 2 so maybe a fraction stiffer straight from the packet)

neallewis
11-09-2012, 02:10 PM
When I measured them I got 3.74lb/" (that was on a set that had been used for a month or 2 so maybe a fraction stiffer straight from the packet)

Cheers Roger, that would put them right about were they feel in relation to the AE silvers (3.85lb/in).
Mine are on the car now, and they feel great on the bench. Now I just need to test them on the track.