PDA

View Full Version : Ae big bore shocks


johnboy
15-09-2012, 02:47 PM
http://www.redrc.net/2012/09/associated-12mm-big-bore-shocks/

neallewis
16-09-2012, 04:20 PM
A bit more info here: http://www.rccaraction.com/blog/2012/09/14/team-associated-12mm-big-bore-shock-kits-for-the-b4-b44-t4-and-sc10/

neallewis
16-09-2012, 05:05 PM
Pulled from here: http://www.teamassociated.com/bigbores/

evertonal
17-09-2012, 08:45 PM
Does anyone know when and where the ae big bores will be available in the UK?

stegger
17-09-2012, 08:55 PM
Does anyone know when and where the ae big bores will be available in the UK?
Any store that deals with CML the UK distributor which will be every store you see advertised on here. :)

Big G
18-09-2012, 02:46 PM
Does anyone know when and where the ae big bores will be available in the UK?

expected in Sept. Spring sets in Oct

Martijn
18-09-2012, 07:06 PM
You can preorder them on amainhobbies

Big G
19-09-2012, 08:27 AM
you should be able to pre-order them from all good model shops :)

gazhillAE
19-09-2012, 06:48 PM
Do you all believe these will be better on are tracks.........:eh?:

neil75
19-09-2012, 07:56 PM
Do you all believe these will be better on are tracks.........:eh?:

Nope!!with u on this one gaz!Bet the team don't use em either in the uk apart from rhr dirt maybe:lol:

Big G
05-10-2012, 03:41 PM
https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/400918_10151295496608319_683001604_n.jpg

Fitted easily to B44.1 with slight spacers on shock tower mounts. All spacers and longer screws supplied in pack.

and for the nit pickers. Those are my polished floor tyres so I don't need big spikes!

mes
05-10-2012, 04:32 PM
Fitted easily to B44.1 with slight spacers on shock tower mounts. All spacers and longer screws supplied in pack.

and for the nit pickers. Those are my polished floor tyres so I don't need big spikes!

Nice one!

And I am glad you explained those tyres are not used on astro. On our sandy astro track, Shuey Minispikes2 are only really good for a few runs although they still look pretty good. dBoots Megabytes have less grip, but last forever - ideal practice tyres!

neallewis
09-10-2012, 11:28 PM
I've just today got and built my big bore shocks. I must say how wonderfully silky smooth they are, feel really fantastic. By comparison, the small bore v2's feel pap and rough, spring rubbing on body, etc.

I'm unsure on the fine tuning at this stage, so have gone with the 1.6 piston and the same 35/30 weight oil I've been running in the v2's. They do feel remarkably similar damping, so hopefully this is a good start.

Anyone else running them on C4.1/B4.1 yet?

A tip. The new caps are ali, so I decided against mounting them on the blue FT top shock bushings, opting for the old/RTR plastic shock bushings AS6473. They fit perfect, just need a 2mm spacer (included with shocks) and a 4-40 nut against the shock tower.

Big G
10-10-2012, 08:15 AM
I put together a spring rate chart which lists the standard and big bore springs side by side so you can see easily which compares.

It's over on CML's facebook page :)
https://www.facebook.com/CMLDistribution

Col
10-10-2012, 08:12 PM
So... just curious

Is the idea to make the bigbores feel and re-act the same as the V2's?

Richard Lowe
10-10-2012, 10:41 PM
So... just curious

Is the idea to make the bigbores feel and re-act the same as the V2's?

It's more so you've got an idea where to start from, usually you'd run similar spring rates no-matter what the shocks. What rates you run generally depends on how heavy each end of the car is...

BeachBuggyPhil
12-10-2012, 07:20 PM
A tip. The new caps are ali, so I decided against mounting them on the blue FT top shock bushings, opting for the old/RTR plastic shock bushings AS6473. They fit perfect, just need a 2mm spacer (included with shocks) and a 4-40 nut against the shock tower.

I had a car that had alloy bushings and alloy shock caps.
Both wear out and need replacing instead of just the very cheap plastic bushings.
Metal on metal is bad.

Might treat myself to some of these for my X6 next season. I've never had new fresh FT shocks on a buggy. :cry:
:lol:

gazhillAE
12-10-2012, 10:44 PM
I had a car that had alloy bushings and alloy shock caps.
Both wear out and need replacing instead of just the very cheap plastic bushings.
Metal on metal is bad.

Might treat myself to some of these for my X6 next season. I've never had new fresh FT shocks on a buggy. :cry:
:lol:

Must of been tried and tested especially on the b44.2 as there both in the kit :)

discothesnake
12-10-2012, 11:36 PM
I had a car that had alloy bushings and alloy shock caps.
Both wear out and need replacing instead of just the very cheap plastic bushings.
Metal on metal is bad.

Might treat myself to some of these for my X6 next season. I've never had new fresh FT shocks on a buggy. :cry:
:lol:


I agree, metal on metal will wear. Quite quickly too I'd imagine as shock bushings are very light. I have these shocks coming and ill definitely be using the plastic bushings.

neallewis
12-10-2012, 11:46 PM
They performed well for me tonight, though I need to go a bit lighter on the rear oil, say 27.5wt. Was running white rear springs, but went to black (slippy rubber floor). Ran yellow fronts, with 35wt. 1.6mm pistons. I think I'll keep the pistons and springs, and go a wt lighter on the oils.

discothesnake
13-10-2012, 05:03 PM
I haven't ran mine yet but I think they feel a bit soft. I built them like this -

Front - 1.5mm piston, 40cwt oil and black losi springs

Rear - 1.7mm piston, 30cwt oil and losi yellow springs

Will test tomorrow but have a feeling it'll be too soft for carpet.

Yardeeee
14-10-2012, 09:08 AM
I used the big bore shocks on my C4.1 yesterday to TQ and win the first Silverstone winter masters race. The track is indoor, so it's flat with jumps, but the surface is actually very thin pile astroturf rather than carpet. We were using schumacher yellow minispikes on the rear and slim yellow staggers on the front.

I set them like this, and the car was dialled:

Front - 35wt, 1.6mm piston, AE 12mm red spring, 2 limiters.

Rear - 27.5wt, 1.6mm piston, AE 12mm green spring, 2 limiters.

30wt in the rear I think may have been better when the room got really hot and the grip was higher, but 27.5 was perfectly good.

I was really happy with them, will do some outdoor running with them next weekend.

Tom

discothesnake
14-10-2012, 10:20 AM
Hi Tom

You tested them on 4wd yet?

Dave

gazhillAE
14-10-2012, 10:36 AM
I used the big bore shocks on my C4.1 yesterday to TQ and win the first Silverstone winter masters race. The track is indoor, so it's flat with jumps, but the surface is actually very thin pile astroturf rather than carpet. We were using schumacher yellow minispikes on the rear and slim yellow staggers on the front.

I set them like this, and the car was dialled:

Front - 35wt, 1.6mm piston, AE 12mm red spring, 2 limiters.

Rear - 27.5wt, 1.6mm piston, AE 12mm green spring, 2 limiters.

30wt in the rear I think may have been better when the room got really hot and the grip was higher, but 27.5 was perfectly good.

I was really happy with them, will do some outdoor running with them next weekend.

Tom

Hi Tom

That's how I've set mine up to.
Do you think that two limiters are enough in the front........?
We're you using AE oil?
3.90 red front springs are about spot on and green rears definetly.
How do you feel about 1.7 pistons in rear?
Gaz

Yardeeee
14-10-2012, 10:58 AM
Dave - not used them on 4wd yet no, probably won't do so until I get my B44.2.

Gaz - Yesterday was the one and only time I've used them, I think 1.7mm rear piston might be worth a look outdoors yeah. I use AE oil yes. I'm not sure the red front spring will be enough on 4wd but it was good on the 2wd.
I thought 2 limiters was enough in the front yeah, hence why I ran it like that.

TY

alan p
14-10-2012, 03:46 PM
Where do you get the springs from can't see them on the CML site??



Cheers

gazhillAE
14-10-2012, 05:35 PM
Dave - not used them on 4wd yet no, probably won't do so until I get my B44.2.

Gaz - Yesterday was the one and only time I've used them, I think 1.7mm rear piston might be worth a look outdoors yeah. I use AE oil yes. I'm not sure the red front spring will be enough on 4wd but it was good on the 2wd.
I thought 2 limiters was enough in the front yeah, hence why I ran it like that.

TY

Tar buddy
I think the purple ones on front will be perfect for b44.2
The blues it comes with are obviously for clay or tracks in us!
What were the differences you noticed moving from the v2s you ran there at the national
Gaz

neallewis
15-10-2012, 12:03 AM
Where do you get the springs from can't see them on the CML site??




Alan, I got mine form MB Models: http://www.rccarshop.co.uk/index.php/catalogsearch/result/?q=12mm+spring+lb

I think they have some spring kits coming soon too.

neallewis
15-10-2012, 12:10 AM
I set them like this, and the car was dialled:
Front - 35wt, 1.6mm piston, AE 12mm red spring, 2 limiters.
Rear - 27.5wt, 1.6mm piston, AE 12mm green spring, 2 limiters.


Tom,

I'd be interested to see a setup sheet of your BB setup, if you have one.

That's what I ran today at Batley, but 3 limiters front, and moved to blue front springs later on in the day.

Yardeeee
16-10-2012, 09:15 PM
My set up sheet from the weekend is uploaded on Facebook in the cml/AE UK group.

CML also have it, so should be on their site in the next couple of days.

Tom

neallewis
16-10-2012, 09:44 PM
My set up sheet from the weekend is uploaded on Facebook in the cml/AE UK group.

CML also have it, so should be on their site in the next couple of days.

Tom

Fantastic thanks! i'll check it out.

mistkerl
17-10-2012, 12:18 PM
Hi,
any modifications on the C4.1 rear Shock Tower necessary to fit the new shocks?

neallewis
17-10-2012, 02:56 PM
Hi,
any modifications on the C4.1 rear Shock Tower necessary to fit the new shocks?

no none needed.
I used the plastic shock mounts, rather than blue FT mounts, and spaced them a little with the included parts with the shocks.

i use a ~4-5mm spacer on the lower wishbone mount to make the shock more vertical, but this was a standard mod on the c4.1 anyway.

MHeadling
07-02-2013, 10:18 PM
Anymore 2wd BB set ups?

I may try them on my Vega this weekend at the Faversham Triple Crown

Toyman
19-02-2013, 06:08 AM
what's BB oil setup closest to "classical" 35wt/30 wt on V2 shocks? I assume 37.5-40 front and 35-37.5 rear @ 1.7 pistons. Is it so?
I am already running BB springs so I am going to keep them
My ride is Vega B4.1, track is carpet