PDA

View Full Version : B44 diff noise on braking?


Andy-j.smith6
16-09-2012, 08:52 AM
Hi guys

My rear diff (I think) is making some noise when I brake. Hard to explain the noise, not high pitched, more of a pulse.

Guess it means I need to do some maintenance. Is it just a rebuild, what will I need to replace. Seen the diff rebuild kits for sale, is that what I should do. Or is it likely that there is something else wrong causing the noise.

Cheers
Andy

SLEENAD
16-09-2012, 10:30 AM
Probably needs a rebuild, yes.

Sometimes you can get away by just reshimming, but I wouldn't recommend that, because you will probably wear the diff shells out aswell then. So I would only do that when you get this problem on a racing day, and you don't have the needed replacement parts.

Also, the slipper adjustment is crucial on this in order to have some life out off your diffs!

Andy-j.smith6
22-09-2012, 04:13 PM
Decided to give it one more round before rebuild. Not a great idea, made worse by fitting new front tyres, which finished the job!!! Turns out to be a stripped gear in front diff.