PDA

View Full Version : Spektrum Problems


Northy
02-06-2008, 02:04 PM
Is anyone else having 'interfearance' type problems with Spektrum now more people seem to be running it?

In round 3 at Tallywhatever yesterday my car was undrivable on half the track, it would just stutter and cut out. It was cogging, as the servo would go too, it was like it shut down for 1/2 a second or so :(

Nothing apart from the cells where changed in the car. :confused:

G

Chequered Flag Racing
02-06-2008, 02:18 PM
how close to the specky due you run your PT if you use one

MRT say it can be an issue if it's sat next to or on the receiver

Northy
02-06-2008, 02:23 PM
Well actually it was in my 4wd that has my new MRT pt in, sat about 1cm away from a micro Spektrum reciever.

What are these "issues" that you speak of?

Was fine for 2 rounds of practise, and 2 rounds of qualifying.

G

Chequered Flag Racing
02-06-2008, 02:42 PM
What are these "issues" that you speak of?

G

'interference' :woot:

I'll dig it out & post back

Chequered Flag Racing
02-06-2008, 02:45 PM
emailed MRT re PTX locations

my MRT install (http://vmphoto.photobox.co.uk/slideshow/viewer.html?c_album=8004856)


From what you describe and the photos of your installation it sounds like it is the position relative to the rx and servo that could be causing the problems. If you have tried the PTX on its own out of the car over the loop and it's not counting it could be a fault with the transponder. If you confirm it's a problem with the PTX send it back and we'll check it out.

The problems are most often to do with the installation or to do with loop pick up probelms, it's rarely the transponder at fault. The problems on the forum are most likely installation related. If anyone you know of has a problem they can't find a solution for please suggest that they contact us directly!

Let me know how you get on.

Regards,
Terry

Northy
02-06-2008, 02:50 PM
That seems to suggest the PT not counting though.

It was sat right next to the servo AND receiver :eh?:

G

Chequered Flag Racing
02-06-2008, 02:52 PM
I hadn't finished and pressed submit :blush:



I had mine in Losi 8 receiver box on top of receiver. Was getting some strange throttle glitches/response. Using ACE servo's on throttle & steering.

Haven't had chance to run it since I moved the MRT pt though

Had a PTX sat next to receiver in BJ4 WE @ last regional and had no problems

Lee
02-06-2008, 02:53 PM
Stop being gay and just drive it :thumbsup::lol:

Chequered Flag Racing
02-06-2008, 02:55 PM
Stop being gay and just drive it :thumbsup::lol:

it was to wet yesterday & Rossi & co were on TV

SHY
02-06-2008, 02:55 PM
Is anyone else having 'interfearance' type problems with Spektrum now more people seem to be running it?

In round 3 at Tallywhatever yesterday my car was undrivable on half the track, it would just stutter and cut out. It was cogging, as the servo would go too, it was like it shut down for 1/2 a second or so :(

Nothing apart from the cells where changed in the car. :confused:

G

Just buy a FASST (or equivalent) system, it's flawless! I've got several Spektrum receivers and I'm not satisfied at all.

My problems with Spektrum has been:
-poor range, some glitches, useless for 1:8 TR, OK for 1:10 OR in most cases
-more or less always glitches if car lies upside down
-looses binding (seldom though)

Biggest problem with the HRS-version:
http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9831&highlight=spektrum

DCM
02-06-2008, 03:01 PM
there was only one, and now two issue's I have seen to cause the reciever to shut down, low voltage and low/no signal. Usualy, the addition of the power cap to the receiver (yes, I know your not suppose to need them on the micro but you do) stops it, and it can just happen randomly, I had used mine a month, and then one club day, 3 heats, 1 final, 2 final, undriveable.

The other, which I seen yesterday, as a new aerial fitted to the module, and the connector was just a shy loose on the board, no range.

James
02-06-2008, 03:04 PM
Ive had a few issues too..

Obviously run a cap, essential.

Mounting the receiver on velcro cured a cut-out type problem off big jumps - think theres a post about this problem on racechat..

The module in my ko universe is a very poor fit anf caused problems - i have now wedged it with cardboard and bent the pins a little - seems to have cured it.

Everything currently running ok :) for the time being :eh?:

josh_smaxx
02-06-2008, 03:07 PM
I run the standard DX3.0 and never ran a power cap, never had even the tiniest glitch. Not relevant but i just thought id let you know.

When i first built and raced my B44 i couldnt have the bug (handout) inside the shell though, had to be on the wing or it had a really low signal and didnt count :eh?:

Northy
02-06-2008, 03:14 PM
I always run a cap in the reciever :(

It was just as if it was shutting down randomly, but certainly did it in the "coming down off the banking and over the 90 degree table top" area much more than anywhere else.

I might just sack it all off......

G

Lee
02-06-2008, 03:14 PM
it was to wet yesterday & Rossi & co were on TV


I actually meant G, Glenn :lol:

I think im going to wait a bit before i get spektrum after reading about some of the issues.

James
02-06-2008, 03:16 PM
I notice a few people with glitching where you mentioned actually.. cant remember who just now but will let you know if i do so you can ask them how they cured it :eh?: or not...
Paul Sykes said mine sounded juddery (he was marshalling my race) but felt fine to drive...

Northy
02-06-2008, 03:17 PM
I actually meant G, Glenn :lol:

Dick head - it is quite hard with no steering or throttle response. :mad:

G

Lee
02-06-2008, 03:25 PM
Sorry G :p

Has it only happened at taly?

I have heard of stuff happening when its been damp or high humidity?:confused:

Northy
02-06-2008, 03:28 PM
Yes, first time at Tally, and only started in the 3rd round. :(

G

ben
02-06-2008, 03:44 PM
Hmm i had the exact same problems as you at south shields. Never ever had a problem in my B4. And it turns out its my speedo that has broke. That may be your problem G. :o

Ben

Northy
02-06-2008, 03:46 PM
It wasn't that Ben, your steering still worked, mine didn't, the whole car just shut down :(

G

GRIFF55
02-06-2008, 03:49 PM
Hey G, i had exactly that problem with my car at oz. Rang the very helpful peeps at horizon and they took the set back to check it out for me, no probs since. They said that most don't run a cap on the micro reciever?
I also put the aerial wire as long as poss, protruding through the shell and tough wood, all is well. I also changed the speedo just in case.
Good luck mate.
Hey i never did get those drill bits off you, nevermind, next time:thumbsup:

DCM
02-06-2008, 04:04 PM
I run the aerial wire as high as possible, it is either voltage or signal loss, one of the two, might be worth giving HH a ring dude.

Oh, nice to finally see ya fella!!

ben
02-06-2008, 04:07 PM
It wasn't that Ben, your steering still worked, mine didn't, the whole car just shut down :(

G

No my whole car was shutting down aswell coming off that corner tabletop. And then it just started cutting the motor out.

Wraggy
02-06-2008, 07:19 PM
No my whole car was shutting down aswell coming off that corner tabletop. And then it just started cutting the motor out.
i had the same problem there Ben and i was running 40mhz.had it over the left side of the track 1st round , put a power cap on and then got it on the table top part. cant win !!!!!:mad:

IceMike
02-06-2008, 08:17 PM
i kinda wonder if there was sumat screwin wit the signals somewhere in that mountain

super__dan
02-06-2008, 08:55 PM
Chris Long had some issues too this weekend, but he (and other people I've seen) had the aerial really low down. I think that becasue Spektrum is so brilliant we often think it's literally perfect and can tuck the aerial wire away anyway. I had mine wrapped round on the chassis on the X6 and once at Southport and annoyingly at the start of the A at South Shields it wouldn't start. I've made a little lexan mount to lift the areial in the car (though not outside the shell) and all went well at Tally.

In my X5 I have the micro receiver at the back and route the aerial up the shock tower under the shell, never once had an issue in that. I have runs caps from day 1 in both cars and ran 7.2V servos.

Actually didn't Tom have some issues with his MRT bug until he moved it?

Cockerill
02-06-2008, 09:08 PM
Yeh, when I had it right next to he receiver it had loads of interference, is fine now its on top of the servo tho

ben
02-06-2008, 09:28 PM
i had the same problem there Ben and i was running 40mhz.had it over the left side of the track 1st round , put a power cap on and then got it on the table top part. cant win !!!!!:mad:


Ooooops bit of confusion. I was on about the south shields regional lol. My cars have run without a glitch at talywain :thumbsup:

RogerM
03-06-2008, 11:56 AM
I have had similar issues once in my 2wd G' ....... When I found the problem I felt such a prat for not noticing earlier ...... the fan wires on the speedo ... one had broken at the solder joint and in some cases was breaking / making contact and arcing .... the voltage spike was tripping out the Rx.

Was a Nosram speedo too so worth a careful look as you can't see the solder connections under the sticker!!!