View Full Version : Mini Pins at Chadderton
paulc
26-10-2012, 05:22 AM
Hi for the people that were running mini pins at Chadderton what did you think to them ? was they better when they was slightly worn. I was running dboots all day but now got a set of mini pins glued up ready to try
johnboy
26-10-2012, 06:38 AM
Pins felt good mate. As you know I had wrong compound d boots so went to pins. Only place was issue was on the green carpet grip rolled a couple of times. What was the d boots like
Andyp
26-10-2012, 07:00 AM
Paul I used mini pins all day started off on a new set all round on 4wd and new rears but the same fronts as I used at Worksop the week before, I ended up trimming the outer row of pins off my 2wd fronts as, Johnboy said they were a little keen on the carpet!
I decided to go with pins as I never really used Dboots before so kinda stuck with what I knew would be useable.
What compound Dboots do they use ?
paulc
26-10-2012, 03:55 PM
I used A compound terrabytes they were good on the carpet and the hall floor they have worn down quickly but the grip seemed consistant the rears are now pretty much bald so i don't think i'll get another meeting out of them
Think im going to try and find a set of worn mini pins for the front i think new ones will be fine on the hall floor but too much on the carpet
Whats the wear rate like on pins do you think you'd get two meetings out of a set of rears on 2wd ?
braddaz
26-10-2012, 05:25 PM
Hi ,
I used mini pins yellow(2wd car) fronts are fine but suprised how worn rears are i defo wont get another meeting out of them , to say these are the tyre choice i found a severe lack of rear grip , btw whats differance between dboots mini pins an schumacher mini pins is it just compound?
how the hell do some people such grip i saw in other 2wd cars :confused:
first time i had been to chadderton or raced for a while to say i struggled is a understatement :lol:.
was good fun though.
Stephen Lawson
27-10-2012, 05:09 PM
HI All
Have tried both makes of tyres over the last 2 years.
Schumachers are good from new and get better then they hit a wall around round 3 and from that point onwards i feel they are not quite as good and tail off by finals time.
dBoots are awful for the first 5 to 10 laps dependant on the track layout, but once bedded in they seem to get better and better the more worn they get, have seen them run totally bold by people without loosing grip.
But at the end of the day u have to use what is best for your car / set up but do recomend u try both makes, Dont think you will get 2 meeting out of either makes but you may be able to run round 3 with tyres from round 1 and 2.
Stephen
That is why we as a club opted not to run a control tyres.
tisher
27-10-2012, 05:34 PM
Hi ,
I used mini pins yellow(2wd car) fronts are fine but suprised how worn rears are i defo wont get another meeting out of them , to say these are the tyre choice i found a severe lack of rear grip , btw whats differance between dboots mini pins an schumacher mini pins is it just compound?
how the hell do some people such grip i saw in other 2wd cars :confused:
first time i had been to chadderton or raced for a while to say i struggled is a understatement :lol:.
was good fun though.
this was also my meeting run dboots on the 4wd durango after finding the mini pins were rubbish. the dboots were dead by the final:o I run a c4.1 in the 2wds and just could not get grip I run brand new yellow mini pins and had absolutely no grip the car was awful no matter what I did.. I might run my b4.1 next time it was that bad:woot:
Darren Wales
28-10-2012, 08:15 AM
this was also my meeting run dboots on the 4wd durango after finding the mini pins were rubbish. the dboots were dead by the final:o I run a c4.1 in the 2wds and just could not get grip I run brand new yellow mini pins and had absolutely no grip the car was awful no matter what I did.. I might run my b4.1 next time it was that bad:woot:
I ran yellow mini spikes on the rear, with mini pins front on my C4.1 taking aside my driving skills aren't that good, I found the grip was very good. I started with mini pins rear on practice, but just slid out the back end. The spikes did wear fairly well too, with grip still good in the final. The tyre choice did raise a few eyebrows with some of the top drivers but quite a few drivers did give it a go at some point in the day. Just another option.;)
tisher
28-10-2012, 08:23 AM
to be honest I think it was more my set up on the c4 as I was running silver springs all round because I had no other springs with me:blush:
paulc
28-10-2012, 09:17 AM
HI All
Have tried both makes of tyres over the last 2 years.
Schumachers are good from new and get better then they hit a wall around round 3 and from that point onwards i feel they are not quite as good and tail off by finals time.
dBoots are awful for the first 5 to 10 laps dependant on the track layout, but once bedded in they seem to get better and better the more worn they get, have seen them run totally bold by people without loosing grip.
But at the end of the day u have to use what is best for your car / set up but do recomend u try both makes, Dont think you will get 2 meeting out of either makes but you may be able to run round 3 with tyres from round 1 and 2.
Stephen
That is why we as a club opted not to run a control tyres.
Personally i think it should have been a controlled tyre but thats me others may agree or disagree
I'll give minipins a try see what there like. Looking forward to rd 2 :)
johnboy
28-10-2012, 10:13 AM
Personally i think it should have been a controlled tyre but thats me others may agree or disagree
I'll give minipins a try see what there like. Looking forward to rd 2 :)
I agree with you on the control tyre Paul and I know of others that would have liked a control tyre. It works at Worksop so why not for chadderton?
Mike Parker
28-10-2012, 12:01 PM
Paul I used mini pins all day started off on a new set all round on 4wd and new rears but the same fronts as I used at Worksop the week before, I ended up trimming the outer row of pins off my 2wd fronts as, Johnboy said they were a little keen on the carpet!
I decided to go with pins as I never really used Dboots before so kinda stuck with what I knew would be useable.
What compound Dboots do they use ?
Yeah I have to agree with Andy, I've stuck with the pins as I know them & find them more consistent in general. I've run a new set at the last round and they still have plenty of life for the next round :)
Have used DBoots last year for the 1st round, personally I found that once they were scrubbed in they were good for the first few rounds, when they reached the step of the pin in the last round, they went off very quickly and I really struggled with grip for the final.
braddaz
28-10-2012, 12:01 PM
why would a control tyre make any differance at chadderton ? wasnt most people using minipins anyway unless there was a good (an i mean good not a pound off price ! ) cost saving buying control tyres i cannot see the point and which would you choose dboots or schumacher ?
why does it make other meetings better ?
i was thinking of trying some proline super soft tyres unless some one has tried them already
Wupding
29-10-2012, 10:57 AM
to be honest I think it was more my set up on the c4 as I was running silver springs all round because I had no other springs with me:blush:
Why Didn't you say you nipple i had loads on me!! Arghhhh:p
tony12795
30-10-2012, 10:40 PM
Personally I would have like to see controlled tyres, spikes and not pins for me.
Pins will not last a full day especially on 2wd and D-Boot don't work for the first two rounds!!
Everybody has old spikes from summer, why not used them......
Just my 2ps worth.
Tony
johnboy
31-10-2012, 06:02 AM
Personally I would have like to see controlled tyres, spikes and not pins for me.
Pins will not last a full day especially on 2wd and D-Boot don't work for the first two rounds!!
Everybody has old spikes from summer, why not used them......
Just my 2ps worth.
Tony
Agree with this. Might not be the best tyre but same for everyone and at least will last the day.
vBulletin® v3.8.7, Copyright ©2000-2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.