PDA

View Full Version : Penguin Custom Bodyshells,X6 forward cab


jasonrcb
19-11-2012, 04:59 PM
This is the first pull of the X6 forward cab,the original shell shape has been kept with just the movement of the cab further forward,looks pretty cool.

Any questions feel free to message Steve Haskins,im sure he will be able to help you out :thumbsup:

super__dan
19-11-2012, 09:23 PM
I think that looks great, nice one!!!

DrPaul
19-11-2012, 10:50 PM
Jesus thats ugly....IMHO. I thought the factory shell was bad enough but....

The Phat Bodies Zen and AJ Galaxy are so much nicer.

YoungChazz
20-11-2012, 02:45 AM
Reminds me of the X - 5.

arransmith27
20-11-2012, 09:36 AM
I like it, the first truly cab forward shell for the x6

Hats off to Penguin - good work chaps

ianjoyner
20-11-2012, 11:09 AM
I like it too. Especially if it brings the balance forward a bit more than the J Concepts air dam. Even if it's only a similar effect it's more convenient than fitting the dam.

jasonrcb
20-11-2012, 11:39 AM
Thanks for the comments guys,last sunday i tried a different version shell which gave the same feeling as running the air dam,this version gives that little extra feel to the front above what the dam does without taking anything away from the rear of the car,hence trying to leave the original shape there as much as possible.

The shell may not suit or be liked by everyone,steve is just offering another option,personally the shell works for me.

Hopefully the wing will be ready in a couple of days :thumbsup:

ianjoyner
20-11-2012, 04:42 PM
Any particular plans for the wing? The standard one works very well, but I think something smaller that suits being mounted forward could work well. Maybe designed for the reverse wing mounts.

jasonrcb
20-11-2012, 05:08 PM
At the moment it will be a replacement kit wing,i split mine sunday so it was taken off and thrown to steve with me saying make me another:lol:,i had thought about a smaller version of the wing so that is quite possible,personally i have not reversed the wing mounts but as and when i do i will gladly look at a wing to suit that way round.

jameswilkinson7
22-11-2012, 10:05 AM
Just got mine.... Quality looks good, nice and thick plastic, cant wait to get it painted! :)

/tobys
22-11-2012, 10:43 AM
whats the cost (body & wing) and are they made to order? will Steve be bringing any to Cov this weekend?

jameswilkinson7
22-11-2012, 10:52 AM
Got mine off ebay

jasonrcb
22-11-2012, 10:59 AM
Toby,Steve is away this weekend so he wont be at cov,drop him a message and you know him he will sort you out as your not far from him

arransmith27
29-11-2012, 07:43 AM
Just received mine :)

Excellent quality and great styling - very pleased :thumbsup:

melruss615
01-12-2012, 07:04 AM
Just received mine :)

Excellent quality and great styling - very pleased :thumbsup:

post a pic as soon as painted please very curious as to the look of it

arransmith27
02-12-2012, 08:26 AM
post a pic as soon as painted please very curious as to the look of it

No probs - will likely be next weekend when I get it painted

arransmith27
22-12-2012, 06:03 PM
Here's mine painted and mounted :)

ianjoyner
22-12-2012, 08:55 PM
Looks good! Maybe time to move your wing forwards?

arransmith27
22-12-2012, 09:00 PM
Looks good! Maybe time to move your wing forwards?

Thanks :)

I was considering moving the wing forward. Move the wing mounts to be in front of rear shock tower?

K-Brewer
22-12-2012, 09:15 PM
Thanks :)

I was considering moving the wing forward. Move the wing mounts to be in front of rear shock tower?

Anyone know how to do this mod?

dancoog
23-12-2012, 03:09 AM
Anyone know how to do this mod?

I'm pretty sure Ellis did his by mounting them on the front of the tower in the upper position then heating them with a heat gun and bending them to the angle he wanted.

ianjoyner
26-12-2012, 12:22 PM
There's a thread on here about moving the rear shock tower forwards to bring the wing forwards, but it's not that straightforward, needing to modify the bulkhead and a new tower.

Reversing the mounts seems to work pretty well. I bent the mounts slightly with some heat. Even the lower mounting holes can be used, although the wing will touch the top of the shock tower. About the only downside is that the top shock mounting is harder to access, but the wing mounts are actually easier to remove with the screw heads at the rear of the tower.

arransmith27
26-12-2012, 12:57 PM
A pal of mine has suggested using Losi XXX wing mounts (on rear of shock tower) and using an alternative 'flatter wing' cut around the tower and mounted further forward.

Gonna give this a try, will post pics and updates shortly.

Rick-J
30-12-2012, 11:01 PM
Got my Penguin shell all painted. Very good quality, good value and a good fit I would recommend this shell to anybody who is thinking of getting one. Have not raced it yet so cant comment if it makes any performance difference but I have found it creates a lot more space inside for my esc. I have my SP LPF mounted just behind the servo so I can run saddles or a stick and the standard body touches the fan on the top of the esc. The penguin cab forward frees up this space and now has lots of room for the esc and fan. I even think it looks half decent and lets face it I love my X6 but they are not a looker with any make of shell. Please excuse the photos and paint job but here are two pics so people can see what it looks like.

http://i935.photobucket.com/albums/ad199/Richard-J/fq1_zpsa14b5e63.jpg

http://i935.photobucket.com/albums/ad199/Richard-J/sv_zps351f61bf.jpg

discothesnake
31-12-2012, 12:08 AM
Looks nice that. He does some nice shells that guy.

The_doctor
02-01-2013, 04:42 AM
how do us Ozzies go about getting one here????
very interested in 3 or 4 for us drivers here in Melbourne!!!:drool:

Nic And
04-01-2013, 08:20 AM
Received mine yesterday The shell looks nice on the car
Maybe next week post some pictures of the painted shell

jasonrcb
04-01-2013, 10:04 AM
Doctor,just drop a pm to Steve Haskins on here,he will have no problem posting them out to you in oz.

janus_77
04-01-2013, 11:30 AM
Here is my elaborate paintjob :p

ianjoyner
04-01-2013, 04:54 PM
That's a tidy looking X6 janus!

KickMe
04-01-2013, 08:06 PM
Nice but I liked the lowrider cox better :thumbsup:

janus_77
04-01-2013, 09:41 PM
Nice but I liked the lowrider cox better :thumbsup:

I know, I know. Had 2 of them. One was crushed by a marshal, the other one got killed in a bad crash. :cry:

The 1st one I still have, but the backend its glued together so I'm hesitant to use it in serious :eh?: competition.

KickMe
05-01-2013, 12:04 AM
Too bad, I would have liked to see it at the next EIR. Oh well, the penguin is nice too.

Mark A
22-01-2013, 05:03 PM
The hardest part of moving the shock tower forward is the chamber link plate, I've made my own that bolt on with the shock tower fixing bolts, I also use the losi wing mounts with a durango style wing.
Hopefully should get a shell of Steve next time he's at cov

ianjoyner
30-01-2013, 09:13 AM
Ran mine at the weekend. I found it a fairly subtle difference (similar to J-Concepts front wing) compared to altering the rear wing which felt like a bigger change. Although it was only a small track. Like the way it looks :).

http://i1144.photobucket.com/albums/o492/ianjoyner/4DDF6A9D-88AD-46B0-9AC9-594C2458E48E-23754-00000DEBD800DBA6.jpg

For comparison:
http://i1144.photobucket.com/albums/o492/ianjoyner/7FDD936E-DD8D-4A86-84DC-50E392FB22D9-23754-00000DEBE2FED2E5.jpg

YoungChazz
01-02-2013, 07:28 AM
I like the paint scheme. Have always liked the "simpler" ones -- too many flames and blobs around for my taste.

Tef
04-02-2013, 01:27 AM
I ran this body for the first time today, looks great and handles even better! Nice job on the body! Pics attached:woot:

Origineelreclamebord
04-02-2013, 07:09 AM
Here is my elaborate paintjob :p

No more front wing? :eh?: And no more yellow tape? I'm glad to see you kept the green shock tower and white body though! :p

Oxygen
04-02-2013, 09:39 AM
I ran this body for the first time today, looks great and handles even better! Nice job on the body! Pics attached:woot:

Love that colour scheme, Will be lookin good at the front of the pack!:thumbsup:

Tef
04-02-2013, 03:19 PM
Ran mine at the weekend. I found it a fairly subtle difference (similar to J-Concepts front wing) compared to altering the rear wing which felt like a bigger change. Although it was only a small track. Like the way it looks :).

http://i1144.photobucket.com/albums/o492/ianjoyner/4DDF6A9D-88AD-46B0-9AC9-594C2458E48E-23754-00000DEBD800DBA6.jpg

For comparison:
http://i1144.photobucket.com/albums/o492/ianjoyner/7FDD936E-DD8D-4A86-84DC-50E392FB22D9-23754-00000DEBE2FED2E5.jpg


I love the low look of both bodies, looks good. Did you cut the penguin body on the cut line or is it slightly above? If it is above do you think you can give me a measurement if you don't mind? Thanks in advance

ianjoyner
04-02-2013, 11:12 PM
I love the low look of both bodies, looks good. Did you cut the penguin body on the cut line or is it slightly above? If it is above do you think you can give me a measurement if you don't mind? Thanks in advance

To be honest I think it's just the camera angle! I know what you mean it does look low in the photo, the Penguin shell is cut on the line.

Tef
05-02-2013, 01:07 AM
thanks for the quick response, appreciate it

StockRacer
20-02-2013, 03:58 AM
if someone can provide the link to these I would appreciate it, having a hard time finding one

ianjoyner
20-02-2013, 12:09 PM
Here ya go:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/X6-X-Factory-Cab-Forward-Bodyshell-By-Penguin-Lexan-New-/271158012958

Steven Forster
20-02-2013, 01:10 PM
Ive just bought one myself, now just wait till it comes and get somebody to paint it ;)

StockRacer
22-02-2013, 12:20 AM
ordered mine today will have it at the beginning of march

Spencer Mulcahy
10-06-2013, 11:33 PM
Here's mine

54762

YoungChazz
11-06-2013, 12:55 AM
I like it!

Steven Forster
11-06-2013, 09:29 AM
Still to be mounted yet......:woot:

http://i328.photobucket.com/albums/l329/d3xt3r24/RC%20Pics/96BE6868-BE4B-4240-8AE2-2FBFD87526E4-7053-000009C963F0B90C_zps30a98b1b.jpg

Will have yellow front wheels and black rear wheels with yellow RPM ball cups and matching rear wing ;)