PDA

View Full Version : Thunderpower mod motors


stegger
15-12-2012, 05:50 PM
Thinking of using these motors next year. What do people think of them ? Are they the same tear down as the Reedy motors ?

stegger
17-12-2012, 06:48 PM
Not any good then !

MattW
17-12-2012, 06:53 PM
From what I have seen of them they seem very nicely made, and the thing I like about them is that the spares parts seem to be available - in theory it would be possible to buy a motor in spare parts.

As for the Reedy comparison, I think there are similarities, but they are not exactly the same. I suspect they may be made by the same OEM and hence some similarities. For example I think one end bearing is different and hence although the magnet on the rotor appears to be the same, the shaft isn't.

I can't comment on performance, as I haven't run one personally.

buggy#0
17-12-2012, 06:59 PM
I think they are so expensive nobody has been able to buy one, £125 rrp!!! As for the spares, a lot of manufacturers sell parts for motors not just thunder power. The rotor is £55, you could buy a complete motor for that!

MattW
17-12-2012, 07:07 PM
I think they are so expensive nobody has been able to buy one, £125 rrp!!! As for the spares, a lot of manufacturers sell parts for motors not just thunder power. The rotor is £55, you could buy a complete motor for that!

You've confused me, I'm fairly confident that stegger is asking about the 540 size motors, which sure aren't £125.

http://www.racing-cars.com/sp/category/Manufacturer/subcategory/Thunder_Power/templateid/12/searchbox7/Brushless_Motors.html

Even the 550's aren't that price either.

Matt Butcher
17-12-2012, 07:08 PM
I have run both TP's and reedys in 13.5 tc and tbh the only same parts I would say are the slaters. The sensor board , rotor etc are all slightly different and tbh look better quality in the reedy motor.

Just my 2p's worth

but mods maybe different but I doubt it.

Hth's

stegger
17-12-2012, 09:29 PM
I think they are so expensive nobody has been able to buy one, £125 rrp!!! As for the spares, a lot of manufacturers sell parts for motors not just thunder power. The rotor is £55, you could buy a complete motor for that!

Sorry wasn't clear ! Mybad :blush: 540 size as Matt has said, £64.99 each :wub

Cheers for the info Matt.

buggy#0
18-12-2012, 08:45 AM
Sorry, I read it from the us site in dollars:
http://thunderpowerrc.com/Z3RBrushlessMotors.htm
I forgot schumacher were the uk distributors. I thought it was £ as there wasn't a sign, so I presumed it was uk.

Chris Elworthy
18-12-2012, 09:21 AM
I've been running a 7.5 Thunder Power in my 2wd for the winter and it has been superb. Plenty of punch and power. I will be buying a 6.5 for my 4wd for the NW regionals without hesitation

Chris

marcel
18-12-2012, 10:22 AM
I always use spreedpasion motors .but got.myself 2 thunderpower motors.
5.5/6.5 turns for my 2wd and my 4wd.
Can not say anything about the power only ran it on a smal carpet indoor track.
But the temp stays lower as my speedpasion motors.
And the feel is also good.
Me like sofar:)