PDA

View Full Version : 110v Mails Stepdown


matthew413
20-06-2008, 09:54 AM
Hello,

Long time reader, first time poster :)

Just wondering if you guys could offer me some advice - I've just got a Yokomo YZ183 charger which can run off either 12v or 110v (US/Japan mains voltage).

Now my 12v supply is one of those little black 10amp things, not man enough to power my Duratrax ICE and the Yokomo at more than 3.5amps each. So, rather than buying another 12v supply, I was thinking of getting a stepdown convertor. Maplin sell one for £15, the specs are Input 230v, Output 110v/120vac 100w.

I'm not sure how to figure out if that will be enough to run the charger - anyone know?

Thanks
Matthew

(argh, can someone change the title to mains, not mails!)

bigred5765
20-06-2008, 10:00 AM
i have a 300watt step down i had for one of are old chargers which was 110volts £30 and its yours posted

matthew413
20-06-2008, 12:31 PM
Thanks for the offer. For £30 I might as well get another 12v supply though!

How would I calculate the wattage I'll be drawing charging at 12v, 6 amps?

matthew413
20-06-2008, 01:01 PM
If my fading GCSE memory is correct, I reckon the most I can draw below 100w will be about 8 amps, so I'd probably want something beefier.

super__dan
20-06-2008, 01:13 PM
Power = Volts * Amps, so indeed, @12V that will only give you 100/12 = 8.3A

Personally I'd spend £30 on a 13.8V 20A Propeak one and be done with it.

matthew413
20-06-2008, 02:33 PM
Yep, that looks like the way forward, cheers :)

mark christopher
20-06-2008, 03:56 PM
Power = Volts * Amps, so indeed, @12V that will only give you 100/12 = 8.3A

Personally I'd spend £30 on a 13.8V 20A Propeak one and be done with it.

dont work like that, you need to know what the unit draws in amps when running on 110volt it should be marked as to what wattage/amps it draws in 110volt mode

have to agree with dan and say buy another psu, the one he recomends is good value