PDA

View Full Version : Best Nimh Charger?


DaveG28
20-06-2008, 10:21 PM
As I go through my second season of only getting a couple of months out of cell packs before having a cell die on me, I was wondering what the best is out there for charging and/or discharging?

I use the advantage charger, and have a smart tray to discharge, but am wondering if an individual cell charger would protect my cells better?

cmgreen
21-06-2008, 07:53 AM
Pro-trak, my opinion, nowt better! http://www.pro-trak.co.uk/

Dunc
21-06-2008, 01:24 PM
My Spintec ICC is up for sale if you're interested ;)

Click here. (http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11704)

Rick
21-06-2008, 01:41 PM
What you have is perfectly good enough for looking after cells.

You may however need to look at your routine, what I did when running NIHM's was:
discharge and equalise after use
charge with approx 1000mah
then store ready for next meeting
then equalise and charge

If they were being left for over a month I would discharge, equalise and then charge upto 1000mah again

DaveG28
21-06-2008, 01:53 PM
I already discharge after each meeting, and put 1500 back in to store them, and repeat weekly if not racing. I then discharge, equalize and charge for first run at each meeting.

But despite leaving them no longer than 10 days without recharging like that, I've had a total of 6 cells die in 6 months! Is that just normal for nimh? Or would an individual cell charger help?

Rick
21-06-2008, 02:17 PM
Theoretically they are better as they charge each cell to its peak, rather than charging the whole pack to the lowest peak, but it is a lot of expense when you already have a perfectly good charger. Also I have NEVER had an individual cell charger and not had the failures you have, and the same can be said for the majority of racers out there.