PDA

View Full Version : Recommend Me a Soldering Iron


Bigdawgracer
28-12-2012, 07:06 PM
Hi All,

Just before Xmas I managed to blow up my old soldering iron......it was 15 years old so I can't complain!

I am looking for a replacement. I have always used the 'pistol-type' irons, but none of the High Street places seem to sell them anymore. Plenty on the web.

Before I splash the cash can anyone recommend a particular make/model, stick or pistol-type soldering iron?

I will have one more look in the shops tomorrow.

Thanks for the help.:)

jayst
28-12-2012, 07:07 PM
12v or 240v ?

i use this

http://www.maplin.co.uk/low-voltage-soldering-iron-mlxs25-4067?c=maplin&utm_source=gcs&utm_medium=gcs_search&utm_campaign=FR13P&utm_content=12V+Soldering+Irons

reg
28-12-2012, 07:18 PM
i bought the core one,its like a branding iron,awsome when you get used to it,just dont leave it on else it glows cherry red :woot:,
i just leave it on till it melts the solder,then turn it off and carry on,it stays hot enought for ages:thumbsup:

dale
28-12-2012, 07:24 PM
If it's 12v, the Sealey 12v 40w one is fantastic and only a tenner:

http://www.justoffbase.co.uk/Soldering-Iron-40W-12V-Sealey-SD1240

paulc
28-12-2012, 07:28 PM
12v or 240v ?

i use this

http://www.maplin.co.uk/low-voltage-soldering-iron-mlxs25-4067?c=maplin&utm_source=gcs&utm_medium=gcs_search&utm_campaign=FR13P&utm_content=12V+Soldering+Irons


Is this ok been looking for a new soldering iron for awhile now seen this in Maplins too looks ok for home use but trackside might be a problem unless you've got a genny / mains power

http://www.maplin.co.uk/60w-professional-lcd-solder-station-with-esd-protection-511927

Bigdawgracer
28-12-2012, 07:30 PM
Thanks for the replies.

Sorry, should have said, it's 240v.

Thanks

paulc
28-12-2012, 07:32 PM
If it's 12v, the Sealey 12v 40w one is fantastic and only a tenner:


http://www.justoffbase.co.uk/Soldering-Iron-40W-12V-Sealey-SD1240


I bought one of these they are crap i've used it 4 times and the tip is knackered now would'nt recommend to anyone

Howler
28-12-2012, 07:35 PM
Is this ok been looking for a new soldering iron for awhile now seen this in Maplins too looks ok for home use but trackside might be a problem unless you've got a genny / mains power

http://www.maplin.co.uk/60w-professional-lcd-solder-station-with-esd-protection-511927

That's the one i have, it's very good, but as you say a bit bulky for taking to the track.

CrashBangWallop
29-12-2012, 03:44 PM
If its a decent iron you are after I would recommend a weller 75w 240v iron. They have an 8mm tip and can be used for almost anything. Around 35 quid but well worth it.