PDA

View Full Version : 12th Scale Newcomer


scottieb
03-01-2013, 11:41 PM
Hello All,

I am about to have a go at 12th scale, not sure why I have been overcome with the desire to do so, but there you go. When I was a wee lad, in the 1970's, I used to go with my dad and watch him race 1:12th scale, when chassis were made from Perspex, speed controllers had big wire wound resistors that glowed red under stress and Ni-Cads went bang whist being charged frequent occasions! (or maybe it was just that club!...) I raced off road throughout my teens, but have not done any R/C cars for years, now its time to go back. And now I am rabbiting!

I have read quite a few threads on this forum in the last few days and learned a little, but there are still a few things I am hoping some of you will be able to help me with.

1. Clubs. I'm finding it hard to find information about clubs near tom me. I'm in Shropshire, so anyone who knows of any clubs in the surrounding counties if you could give me a shout that would be great.

2. Equipment. I have a bought a car, but yet to get the electrics. I noticed on one of the threads someone talking about BRCA homologation lists for motors and batteries. How strict is this? If I purchase a motor / battery not on this list, will I be unable to race? does the same exist for radio gear, or can I pick any manufacturer of 2.4GHz system?


That’s all for now but I am sure there will be more questions as time goes on and I get started in this hobby.



Thanks in advance for your help.



Scott

lardy37
04-01-2013, 01:45 AM
if you go onto the brca web site there is a list of all registered clubs, that dosent mean there isnt a club near you that isnt on there list but the majority are, as for brca legal motors and batterys most local clubs run there own set of rules and use the brca as a guide line but if you want to do brca national event if your motor battery or speed controler isnt on there list the they wont let you race, hope you find a good club and enjoy racing :thumbsup:

moggy12
04-01-2013, 07:30 AM
hi i race 1/12th indoors here http://www.staffordrcmcc.co.uk/ so depending where in shropshire you live not to far i run the core rc speedo with either speed passion 10.5 motor or my new orca motor others use the hobbywing 1 cell speedo with 10.5 reedy or thunderpower motors if you plan on doing just club night racing you can use what you want only thing they say is to charge your lipo batterys in a lipo sack you can run any make of 2.4 radio hope this helps

mark christopher
04-01-2013, 08:18 AM
You may find more clubs running the new gt12 class which is growing fast

Robocop
04-01-2013, 08:29 AM
Go to rcracechat little more towards 12th,
Any parts etc Action model centre speak to wim he supports the nationals so carries a good stock.
Brca list if club racing probably ok with cheaper ones but check with the club,but if you go to another club or a national and the lipos,motor and esc are not on the list you may find yourself buying things twice.

scottieb
04-01-2013, 09:57 AM
hi i race 1/12th indoors here http://www.staffordrcmcc.co.uk/ so depending where in shropshire you live not to far i run the core rc speedo with either speed passion 10.5 motor or my new orca motor others use the hobbywing 1 cell speedo with 10.5 reedy or thunderpower motors if you plan on doing just club night racing you can use what you want only thing they say is to charge your lipo batterys in a lipo sack you can run any make of 2.4 radio hope this helps

:drool: of course I completely forgot about Stafford. I'm in Claverley so its about 25 miles. Do they do 12th all year round?

scottieb
04-01-2013, 09:59 AM
You may find more clubs running the new gt12 class which is growing fast

I like the look of this too and will have a go at some stage.

scottieb
04-01-2013, 10:00 AM
Also there is a club in Telford, does anyone on here race there?

moggy12
04-01-2013, 11:28 AM
yes stafford does 1/12th but 1/12th gt is coming popular there also

scottieb
04-01-2013, 12:29 PM
Moggy, when are you next racing? Would you mind if I pop up and say hello?

The car I bought has been returned as the condition was not as described (12R5.1 on eBay) which was a shame. I'll buy new now as i dont want to have to do that again. I think the best thing for me to do is come along and have a look before I decide what to get.

Scott

moggy12
05-01-2013, 08:56 AM
hi scott no problem we start around 7pm till 9.30 come and have a chat with the 12th guys i also have a rc12r5.1 great car i,ll be there there next thursday chris

scottieb
06-01-2013, 08:40 PM
Fantastic. I will try and get over on Thursday.

Mad-Wolfie
15-01-2013, 10:37 AM
Crewe also has a very good 1:12th following. :thumbsup:

mick
15-01-2013, 08:57 PM
i got my last 1/12 car straight from cml end of line for the money i paid why go 2nd hand

mick

scottieb
27-01-2013, 04:03 PM
Exactly what i have done :)