PDA

View Full Version : Personal transponders or handouts?


EPicLURcher
12-01-2013, 10:11 AM
What transponders does this club use?

jlucas
12-01-2013, 10:27 AM
Hi we use personal transponders although you don't need one straight away as we can manually count you.
Hth

James

Dudders
12-01-2013, 11:55 AM
As James said we do have a couple to hand out and borrow for £5 a night or we can manual count you. Renting one is better though as you'll get correct times and might be missed the off lap if manual.

If you are going to buy one, please do not buy an MRT one as these may well be obsolete when we upgrade out software in 6 months time.

EPicLURcher
12-01-2013, 12:04 PM
Are the amb ones good?

Dudders
12-01-2013, 08:57 PM
Yes. Get some via BBK Software :)

racer11
12-01-2013, 09:55 PM
would getting together and getting a deal on a bulk order for those of us with MRT's work? do you think they would be open too that? also do many people have MRT's that want to convert or is it not popular?? thanks:blush:

EPicLURcher
12-01-2013, 10:01 PM
Id be up for doing a bulk order for the one of the hybrid ambs

Cuboidnoise
12-01-2013, 10:44 PM
ive been looking at getting one. Im assuming the my laps rc4 (harry) would be the best one to get? Its alittle pricey!

racer11
12-01-2013, 10:48 PM
i think the hybrid would be better assuming that not every where uses the new system, so if we were to do the bulk order i would think that that would be the unanimous decision

racer11
12-01-2013, 10:49 PM
i think the hybrid would be better assuming that not everywhere uses the new system, so if we were to do the bulk order i would think that that would be the unanimous decision, as a few people travel to different clubs everysooften:eh?:

tcboy1983
13-01-2013, 03:51 PM
if the harry is ok with the new system u can get trade in with older pt's also the mrt ones check the site

http://www.bbksoftware.com/pricelists/amb-component-sales.htm

mrt are £60 to buy the harry £76 but if you have a old pt ur get it for £42 cheap also ur own number not a clone like the mrt

racer11
13-01-2013, 04:50 PM
so to get the MRT traded in i buy the "MYLAPS RC4 Hybrid Direct Powered Transponder RC2/MRT/Broken Wire Harry Trade In" for £42 and send them the MRT and a receipt and return address and they send out the hybrid?

Dr_UpGrade
13-01-2013, 05:13 PM
[QUOTE=If you are going to buy one, please do not buy an MRT one as these may well be obsolete when we upgrade out software in 6 months time.[/QUOTE]

Dudders can we bring this up at the next committee meeting? I for one don't think upgrading the software is the way to go... Partly because of the somewhat 'bully-boy' tactics on display... Think we really need to talk about this...
:(

Dudders
13-01-2013, 06:11 PM
Agreed, but we need to think about best practice too. Next AGM in April my lover :eh?:

tcboy1983
13-01-2013, 06:18 PM
Why do you need to upgrade the system is there a problem ?

grobson1970
14-01-2013, 02:05 PM
Not happy about having to change my PT :thumbdown:
I am trying to run my hobby on a budget i dont want to have to replace parts that already work .

Gary

dobber
14-01-2013, 02:40 PM
I think a lot feel the same, i have 2 of the mrt pt's.

Dudders, is there any news officially on the compatibility of these transponders. Will they definitely not work or is it only thought they may not work. This really needs to be investigated by the manufacturers and let us all know.

Dudders
14-01-2013, 03:44 PM
Think with the new software I heard 50% do not work.

Of course it's best practice to upgrade to the latest software race control wise but we CAN hold off. I know a number of club ARE upgrading so MRT will not work if you go to others clubs.

For instance the regionals, some might change to the new system for 2013 season, if you have an MRT it won't work.

dobber
14-01-2013, 04:33 PM
It feels like they are blocking the mrt pt's and forcing you to buy their own unit's which cost a lot more (funny that)
I'm pretty sure if they wanted to they could ensure that the let's still worked on the system. Guess it means I now have £90 of mrt pt's that in a few months won't work and are worthless.

jlucas
14-01-2013, 04:46 PM
I think it may have something to do with mrt bringing out a timing system that only uses there pts. Looks like a kind of tit for tat thing. Unfortunately if you want to keep up in the model racing world we have to move with the times. Budget racing is not possible never has been never will be

Dudders
14-01-2013, 05:09 PM
Just to add the clubs do not have to change software, just advisable I guess. I think the major national brca championship will be RC4 software and Mrt will not work. Lets continue to discuss this, good debate ;)

TARTMAN
14-01-2013, 11:45 PM
eventually, most things need to be upgraded/changed to move with the latest technology.

nicads/lipos

brushed/brushless

27meg/40meg to 2.4ghz.

and PT's will be the same.............

Anyone with the amb will be ok on the newer software, MRT sadly looks like it may not.

as mentioned, there is plenty of time till its needed to upgrade if its needed eventually to move forward then it will have to be done.

I dont think the mrt's will be worthless as many clubs that do not run a national/regional etc will prob stick with the older system for a long time to come.
AMB may offer a trade in with mrt's so watch that space.

I would advise anyone(as been mentioned) if buying a PT now, Only get the Harry/AMB ones. so you can race all over for a while to come.

Its still in its infancy the newer 4 system, so time will tell what clubs do.

Personally i say hold off until absolutely needed on the software upgrade front.

grobson1970
15-01-2013, 08:29 AM
One of the reasons Yateley Rc club went under was the fact that if you did not run the latest car/speedo/motor and so on then there was no point in racing because you never had a chance of EVER getting in the top three .because there was no budget racers there was no club in the end .
I think budget races are important to any club !!!.
Plus there would be no one to purchase old gear from people who love to upgrade :)


Gary

jlucas
15-01-2013, 09:08 AM
One of the reasons Yateley Rc club went under was the fact that if you did not run the latest car/speedo/motor and so on then there was no point in racing because you never had a chance of EVER getting in the top three .because there was no budget racers there was no club in the end .
I think budget races are important to any club !!!.
Plus there would be no one to purchase old gear from people who love to upgrade :)


Gary

Wrong the reason yateley went under was because of restrictions put in place by the head master and the pta. i don't run a top of the range buggy but i put in time on setup and i race as much as possible that's how you make top 3

grobson1970
15-01-2013, 10:16 AM
Hi James
I no it was not as black & white but it did not help the problemas you no i am a crap driver but i love racing .
All i am trying to say is please dont push out the budget driver .
people who race for the fun not just the winning .

Gary:)

Dudders
15-01-2013, 12:19 PM
you no i am a crap driver but i love racing .


Stick me into your bucket with you Gary!!! :thumbsup:

tcboy1983
15-01-2013, 01:04 PM
There is no reason y the new software can't do mrt they aren't changing hardware which could effect timing system

I think the clubs should at lease maybe chat to the software ppl as lots of ppl don't want to waste £76 on a pt when they have a working one when they need tyres spare stuff that keeps ppl going

Kelk
15-01-2013, 01:20 PM
Stick me into your bucket with you Gary!!! :thumbsup:

Whereas I am a great driver but the PT system seems to think otherwise and always adds an extra 3 or 4 seconds to my lap time.

I say upgrade now to resolve this mis carriage of justice





Not helping am I? :cry:

Dudders
15-01-2013, 01:51 PM
A brief reminder...
"RC3" WILL count all AMB PT's, Mylaps Harry's and MRT's but WILL NOT count the new Mylaps Purcy.

"RC4" WILL count all AMB PT's, Mylaps Harry's and new Mylaps Purcys but WILL NOT count the MRT PT's

skiv
15-01-2013, 03:17 PM
Hope you don't mind an outsider adding 2p worth, but remember that the BRCA sections will/should only update their timing system if the members agree. If the members at the section AGMs don't agree the new RC4 box is needed, then there is no need to update.

I race at a few clubs and none are even thinking of switching for fear of alienating their membership, and their membership are seeing the need for change.

The biggest problem will be when/if a clubs decoder breaks down beyond repair and they have to go for the new box with the new firmware.

I would agree with some of the above recommendations, if needing to buy a new pt, get a harry.

I think this will be a constant battle between the two companies for a long time to come, mylaps cancel mrt from counting on their system, mrt get it fixed, then RC5 comes along and cancels it again.

I say if what you have isnt broke then dont spend the money updating something that works perfectly fine.

As i say, just an outsider adding a view, feel free to ignore. :)

grobson1970
15-01-2013, 03:46 PM
so please correct me if i am wrong but the new amb pt's will work the current software as well as the mrt's ,but if the software is upgraded only the AMB's will work ,so if you are a racer that travels to race at other clubs or someone getting there first pt then get a AMB unit (thats fine).
but if you dont travel and there is no change to software then everyone with the mrt's dont have a problem .
So why do it .I dont get the advantage ?.
as they say if its not broke dont fix it !!!!!!!!

Gary

Gonky
15-01-2013, 04:04 PM
so please correct me if i am wrong but the new amb pt's will work the current software as well as the mrt's

The new PT's (Purcy's) will only work with the new software.

tcboy1983
15-01-2013, 06:32 PM
what will Purcy do that harry doesnt and mrt ?

TARTMAN
15-01-2013, 11:15 PM
Basically, the new Percy will have a .1 after it. There is a long winded explanation for it all somewhere on oople. It's all techno crap really.
I say stick with the RC3 for now and see what happens. It will run all the current PT's and as such not put off any budget racer.
SHRCCC is a club racers venue and holding a few big scale events won't matter to the overall scheme of things, in my opinion. It will take a while till everyone gets the newer PT's so leave as is for a while.

That's my opinion. :p

Darren Boyle
15-01-2013, 11:37 PM
Basically, the new Percy will have a .1 after it. There is a long winded explanation for it all somewhere on oople. It's all techno crap really.
I say stick with the RC3 for now and see what happens. It will run all the current PT's and as such not put off any budget racer.
SHRCCC is a club racers venue and holding a few big scale events won't matter to the overall scheme of things, in my opinion. It will take a while till everyone gets the newer PT's so leave as is for a while.

That's my opinion. :p

One thing worth considering for your club the same as we have just had to consider at Watford.

If a new racer comes along, just about to start up racing for arguements sake, trots along to his local or favoured shop, buys said new car, radio, ESC etc etc and then needs his own PT. So he has three main choices, go find a "copy" for want of better word (by that I mean an MRT) or one of the genuine AMB/MYlaps units, the same make as the decoder used by his new club? Well most will "probably" say the "real deal" the genuine Mylaps. So he trots off to the BBK, to find the slighlty older Harry, that works universally on all decoders is £76, but the all new and updated Purcy is just over £10 less at £65, so what is stopping him choosing this newer version that is actually less money, the possability his new club wont support the newer and cheaper option in favour of supporting the "copy", after all the cost to update for the club itself is zero, the software update for the decoder is FREE....... If it were the other way around, that Harr's were cheaper and Purcys where £10 more its a no brianer, stay with RC3, but when new owners are forced to spend more, there will be pressure from racers to update to allow them to save money (especially if they have more then one car) and use Purcy(s)

When put like that, it puts the clubs under pressure, plus, do we (as clubs) want to turn people away who have invested in the newest transponders or do we have a hardcore who have gone out and brought the cheaper copies (MRT)...

It is a real awkward one, we at DMS MCC oursleves are still not 100% sure what to do for the best (and we dont have any "regular" racers using MRT's) but we still have to think of those who visit once in a while or when we hold larger meetings (regionals etc), at presetn we are edging towards upgrading to RC4.........

Dr_UpGrade
16-01-2013, 05:25 PM
Obviously as its a public forum you are all able to state your own opinions, but what THIS club does should be decided by its membership and as such, does not matter in the slightest what you do at your club...
I just do not see the relevance of you giving your opinions here...

Dudders
16-01-2013, 05:37 PM
Thought Darren stated the facts well without really giving an overall opinion. It's a very difficult subject and one that will rumble on and on around the scene for the next 12 months for sure. We don't need to do anything yet but as Darren rightly stated, what would you buy?.

My personal view is that perhaps we should all run the old red Harry... which works on both softwares to cover all basis.

Dudders
16-01-2013, 05:37 PM
Obviously as its a public forum you are all able to state your own opinions, but what THIS club does should be decided by its membership and as such, does not matter in the slightest what you do at your club...
I just do not see the relevance of you giving your opinions here...

Oh, and chill out, just cos you have to see the inlaws this week :lol:

Darren Boyle
16-01-2013, 05:47 PM
Obviously as its a public forum you are all able to state your own opinions, but what THIS club does should be decided by its membership and as such, does not matter in the slightest what you do at your club...
I just do not see the relevance of you giving your opinions here...

Quite simple, I would not have wsted my time posting if I did not think it was relevent but because it was brought up at the recent regional meeting (that involved your club and ours) and discovered that ALL clubs in our region are in the same boat on this issue. What one club does locally (ie in the same region) does affect all the others around it, since many racers travel to more than just one it can affect them if their local club may not cater for their chosen PT either now or in the future...

The last thing any club wants is to make the wrong choice and alienate any racers from running at their own club.

Since TORCH announced at the meeting (as did Stotfold) that they WILL be updating to the newer RC4 decoder software it has put pressure on all of us to consider our options too, since if members of those clubs visit us and have PURCY's, we (and you) cannot cater for them and likewise if members of SHRCCC or DMS visit either of those clubs and have an MRT very shorlty, they would not be catered for either. A unity for all clubs in the same area could well be the way forward, esecially when the new technology is cheaper than the previuos version and there is no cost incurred by the clubs to accomadate this.........

Darren Boyle
16-01-2013, 05:55 PM
Thought Darren stated the facts well without really giving an overall opinion. It's a very difficult subject and one that will rumble on and on around the scene for the next 12 months for sure. We don't need to do anything yet but as Darren rightly stated, what would you buy?.

My personal view is that perhaps we should all run the old red Harry... which works on both softwares to cover all basis.

The only issue with that Neil as was pointed out at the meeting, the Harry is the most expensive PT of all, more than the MRT and the PURCY. Logically it makes sense, since it works on all, but from a clubs point of view it is a nightmare knowing what to do for the best....... You go the RC4 route you upset everyone with an MRT, you stick with RC3 and upset all the new PURCY owners.......... :cry:

Dr_UpGrade
17-01-2013, 05:02 PM
surprise surprise, but I disagree...:p

There are local club racers AND local regional racers... The trouble is that, in my opinion, the rc4 will impact on the established local club racers. Which are those that enjoy the hobby, but perhaps do not quite take it as life or death as some of the regional racers "can" do! I guess it depends on where and what you think is the heartbeat of a club and who you think you can get away with upsetting.

The only trouble with the scenario that Darren suggested was that he very interestingly seemed to diss the cheapest option very easily and quickly. Perhaps he is not used to talking with racers on a budget, but I do not understand the "real deal" reference to the mylaps... MRT works currently, the end.

And I am quite chilled, I just think each club should make its own mind up based on its own membership wants and requirements... It seems there are quite a few of the SHRCCC who have MRT and DO NOT see the need to have to change. Or are we going to have to manual count everyone..

Those wanting to attend regionals etc face a different choice and challenge to those who "just" want to relax and race with folk once or twice a week..

And on that note have fun racing tonite, hope its snowing! It is here!!:p

Dudders
17-01-2013, 05:16 PM
Or are we going to have to manual count everyone..

Oh please got nooooooooo :woot::woot::woot:

And not snowing... yet :thumbsup: Sunday might be ice racing!

Colin Kirkham
17-01-2013, 05:48 PM
Okay, call me thick if you like, but what's better about the new PURCY over the HARRY ?
And I have to agree with Darren, it's got to be a tough call for clubs! as racer's
On a budget or not, will Start buying the new PURCY pt's then only to find they can only race at clubs that's upgraded !
It's a crazy situation that Amb has created ? I'm not one, but there must be loads of racers with the MRTs ?.
And how long before Harry's become unavalible to buy anyway ??

skiv
17-01-2013, 07:56 PM
Have all the clubs in the region got the RC3 box which allows the firmware upgrade to RC4, i know our club still has the RC2 box (not a club in your region).

Only asking as if they do have RC2 it means there is a cost to the club to get the new box.

Darren Boyle
17-01-2013, 08:06 PM
Have all the clubs in the region got the RC3 box which allows the firmware upgrade to RC4, i know our club still has the RC2 box (not a club in your region).

Only asking as if they do have RC2 it means there is a cost to the club to get the new box.

AFAIK all clubs in this region are now either RC3 or RC4... If it cost the clubs to change then I think that would be a whole new scenario too....

chuckie stella
17-01-2013, 08:12 PM
AFAIK all clubs in this region are now either RC3 or RC4... If it cost the clubs to change then I think that would be a whole new scenario too....

I think TORCH run on the RC3 software on RC2 decoder :(

Tough call!! :cry:

Kelk
17-01-2013, 10:54 PM
IF we have to upgrade and I'm only saying IF - would the supplier of the system we have to move to accept a group buy i.e. buy in bulk to keep the cost down?

mikeyscott
17-01-2013, 11:22 PM
I think TORCH run on the RC3 software on RC2 decoder :(

Tough call!! :cry:

Yup correct Matt and with the deal being offered RC4 + warranty... Hello!

To be discussed tomorrow.

As you know a lot of our racers travel (TC, 1/8th & 1/10th) so my advice, bin the MRT. What to choose, I'll leave that to the racer's own budget. If they only race at torch they prob have MRT, therefore get a Percy via trade in is my recommendation.

Me I use Harry PTs so job done.

As a race director I hate MRT! Clashes... I spoke to Mr Knight Saturday and he hates them too lol!

MRT copied My Laps, it's business - get over it.. They done well while it lasted.

Some people will spend nearly a trade in price on tyres for ONE meeting. So what's the big deal on cost?

I accept it's not a nice cost for those with nothing as it's not got the same buzz re a motor or something.

We still offer handouts at torch, these may change to handout Percy PTs. Handout PT for car keys etc. so we are happy to assist those new racers. However over time they get PTs as at some stage their best run is always the one that they didn't 't fit the HT...

TARTMAN
17-01-2013, 11:31 PM
I think there is a current small discount for buying bulk Harry's and I guess the same for the Percy.
I feel eventually we will all have to have Harry or Percy for the main clubs. And MRT may well be defunct unless they develop a PT that will work with the later system and offer a trade in of the old MRT pt's ?

Hopefully a cost effective and easy transition will materialise in the next few months. But at the moment, it's not looking great news for anyone really, except the seller of the Harry/Purcys

I think Darren made some very good points regarding local/regional club interaction.

We all need to think about the club racer and the regionals to. The higher the racer is/gets in results etc the more accepting they become of change and the costs involved, and just tent to go with the flow.
It's the club racers, the bread and butter of most clubs that need to be considered. A Pt is an expensive item just to count a lap, even thou its accepted as an essential item for all classes. If the makers got the price down, to maybe £20 per PT, then no one would really care, but at £65/£76 per PT it's just not something budget/local/club racers are willing to just replace. It's an expensive item that we just have to have. To make life easy.

I race a supastox at BRCC and they use an iris style PT that's £20, I had to buy one to race there and that was no problem. But if I was told, I had to buy a £76 PT to race there I would have not bothered. Not a chance as I have 2 x Harry's already for my 10th buggies.

So it does come down to price in the main part, so maybe there is a back step to be made, the clubs go back to 20 rechargeable PT's as handouts before your round and do away with personal PT's.... Then BBK would be a little stuffed as they would sell none of there PT's once all clubs had there 20.... So no one wins.

Sadly, we are not wanting to go back to the old style PT handouts, so we must move on, just a shame it's bully boy tactics of " buy the latest pt or our other PT or your stuffed"

Not ideal in any version for the clubs, racer or wallet. Only winner is the maker of the PT and the software......... And that is.............. :p

chuckie stella
18-01-2013, 12:37 AM
the clubs go back to 20 rechargeable PT's as handouts before your round and do away with personal PT's....

Impossible, unfortunately!

It is my understanding that BBK (mylaps, whatever) supplied and serviced (unless you knew what you're doing) the handouts and have stopped this service since the mass rise in PT's. Thats why the BRCA followed suit and removed handouts from Nationals last season.

Also, this would never be ideal with PT's as handouts as moving them from car to car throughout the night/day would result in wires wearing out etc...

Kelk
18-01-2013, 10:26 AM
I don't know much about PTs as a speciofic issue however I do work in technology.

All the products / services I deliver to my customer how a cradle to grave life span. We know and share the details of when products, large or small, wil be End of Life'd and they know and can budget for that.

If we are having to move PTs due to technical reasons, fine. However, having spent c. £120 on PTs already in the last 6 months, I do find the prospect of 2 new PTs at £75+ a bit of a ball ache

So why did I mention the EoL? Well if we have to move thats just life but at the prospect of £150 for 2, I would like to know lifespan and expected utilisation of it. I don't mean "Well if you race twice a week you'll get twice the usage", I mean something like 8 out of 11 clubs in your region are going this sytem including TORCH SHRCCC and XXXXXX."

2 new PTs cos theres competition in the market place should be a lower figure IMHO

Dr_UpGrade
20-01-2013, 06:51 PM
As a race director I hate MRT! Clashes... I spoke to Mr Knight Saturday and he hates them too lol!

MRT copied My Laps, it's business - get over it.. They done well while it lasted.

Some people will spend nearly a trade in price on tyres for ONE meeting. So what's the big deal on cost?

I accept it's not a nice cost for those with nothing as it's not got the same buzz re a motor or something.

S'funny I thought clubs "catered" for their racers and members and not the other way around! I just see this as a bit of ignorance (as in not understanding) of how to use MRT's. We've had a couple of clashes at shrccc, but nothing a few minutes resetting one of the MRT's didn't cover. It really is quite simple if you bother to try to cater for your members...

As for "some" spending that much on tyres, yes, but aren't those "typically" the racers who also enter the regionals etc? If you argree then surely its down to personal choice to spend that much money on tyres, just as it would to then spend the money on updating" a PT that worked at both your club and ours. What you are still not getting is that some folk like to escape and race once or twice a week WITHOUT huge expense on tyres or anything else. I'm just concerned that the "bullyboy" business tactics used by mylaps penalise those racers... Especially if clubs like you just "roll over" and accept the proposed changes just like that... I think its pretty sad that no-one is trying to stand up for the little guy in all this... But then again, looking at this forum, and the number of times you've changed your car in the past few years, it seems thst you are one of those who doesn't mind (or can afford to) spend large amounts of cash on their hobby... Good for you, but it takes all sorts to make the world go round... I just get the feeling "some" people can't see or understand that...

mikeyscott
20-01-2013, 07:13 PM
Err what's my cars and finances got to do with it?

As others know I'm working on things behind the scenes, talking with other clubs, racers, BRCA and BBK.

I've actually got a sizeable list of racers asking about upgrades. So no I'm not ignoring them, far from it. I could just say sort yourselves out lads....

Dudders
20-01-2013, 07:20 PM
Just to add, this is A club member talking not on behalf or representing SHRCCC!

Dr_UpGrade
20-01-2013, 07:23 PM
Its simple, from the points you raised and attempted discussion points but you "appear" to be in the camp of spending "lots" on your hobby, so to you the cost is insignificant.. I'm just trying to say not everyone is like you, and if we as SHRCCC club are not careful we may lose some of our core club members... Which I think is what I wrote... It ain't rocket science...

Dr_UpGrade
20-01-2013, 07:25 PM
Dudders... YES, I am independent, these are MY thoughts and views only... Although I will be saying them again at our next AGM!:p

hotrodchris
20-01-2013, 08:31 PM
Dr Up Grade I like many run 3 MRT PT's and still want to compete at Regionals, unfortunately BBK seem to be forcing clubs to change and upgrade, so it is fate acomply exchange my MRT's or give up, i am unaware if BBK have considered they might be pricing and forcing some people out of the holiday or do they care? As Mikey said in a round about way MRT have riden on BBK's coat tails for a long time if it was your business would you not look to stop it?

The Chef
20-01-2013, 08:44 PM
Its simple, from the points you raised and attempted discussion points but you "appear" to be in the camp of spending "lots" on your hobby, so to you the cost is insignificant.. I'm just trying to say not everyone is like you, and if we as SHRCCC club are not careful we may lose some of our core club members... Which I think is what I wrote... It ain't rocket science...

Surly if we don't move with the times then we'd still be shouting out numbers off cars as the went past race control. At least the Older AMP transponders will work. In big business no one wants there product "cloned". And i believe in the upgrading "clubs" defense is it not mandatory to upgrade if they are to hold a national?

Besides I like the idea of Percy's being able to have 4 transponders with the same number with a .1, .2,.3 etc after them. Much easier to remember!

Dr_UpGrade
21-01-2013, 09:50 AM
Hotrod Chris, your exact words are what I'm worried about for our club. That some people will decide to give up. It sounds like your club is lucky that you've made the decision to stay despite the increased expense. As for BBK I kinda lack sympathey for them especially after this (what I see as) aggressive business orientated move that has no real term benefit for the end user, their customers... I think someone else has already said that they don't care about the RC world and have moved on to bigger fish such as 1:1 cars. Wasn't there something about Harrys not working with kers in F1?

As for MRT 'copying' or cloning the technology, I work in a business line where intelectual property (IP) is paramount to what I do. If a company didn't protect themselves in the first place well enough in this regard then well thats tough... Especially as the competitor can produce and market them at oh say 2/3 the price. Surely that tells you someting about the mark up by BBK...?

Chef, I understand about moving with the times and upgrading for an advantage... I just can't see the advantage of this to the end user, or at least having a 1-9 number after the main number isn't that big enough advantage to go with the cost of it..

One last point to Mikey... I'm not really into all this behind the scenes talking... I say lets have everything upfront and in the open, complete transparency and full disclosure. So just what have you been saying, and to whom? Not to mention that for the sake of a level playing field, have you also been involved in any behind the scenes talks with MRT? Perhaps as a 'representative' of racers you should...? I don't know you from Adam, so by what 'mandate' or 'right' do you have to be talking behind the scenes anyhow? Sorry, but it feels like your apparent personal bias towards BBK has influenced your discussions... And how is that really helping all racers..?

jlucas
21-01-2013, 10:16 AM
When push comes to shove mrt have produced there own timing system that will not run anything but mrt transponders so the way i look at it is bbk or amb or whoever they are have decided if ours won't work with yours then yours won't work on ours.

RudeTony
21-01-2013, 10:16 AM
You lot are so funny.
Some facts maybe you should all be aware of.

Mike is a well respected organiser of events in our sport yet you are shooting him down!!

BBK are distributors of the product yet you are making it out that they are governing everything.

Lastly, you will all have to live with the change sooner or later and that's a fact.

My advise if anyone cares is set a date ahead and pre-warn everyone this is when the change will happen - this way everyone is prepared rather than thrown on them.
I will be shocked to hear someone has given up because of this....in fact it just won't happen.
I bet most of you have smart phones and I bet none of you have a Motorola 8800 - get it lads!!!!
:)

dobber
21-01-2013, 11:20 AM
A motorolla 8800 makes calls and not much else. An iphone makes calls, goes on the net, has 3g, has apps etc.

An AMB pt counts laps. A MRT pt counts laps. If the amb pt's could do more then it would have been a comparable comparrison.

Ok so im splitting hairs, but i couldnt resist making a reply :)

I am now in the process of trading in one of my MRT pt's for a Harry pt. I get the feeling there is a political undertow, which from the Chinese whispers i hear has made me make the decision to upgrade to teh AMB :lol:.

RudeTony
21-01-2013, 12:11 PM
I agree with you but there are improvements to the system and lets face it, why on earth would you build a system for others to explore and make money from.
I know the majority wouldn't.
AMD/MyLaps are the best at it and the techology is also improving - why not move with the times.

I do believe they said its more accurate and can split times even more better than before

All drivers, sponsored or not have the same problem.
Set the date ahead so everyone knows what to do and when - simples!!

skiv
21-01-2013, 02:47 PM
Lets not get to excited about the minimal changes, the new firmware is here to stop mrt making money from a system they did not spend time and money developing, end of. Not saying i have anything against that, they are protecting their investment, but the losers are those with mrt pt's and the clubs being pushed to upgrade.

If nobody upgraded to the new firware (or were forced to if they have only just brought a rc3 box), and nobody brought the Purcy transponders, everyones laps would still get counted....

I am really torn on this one, I hate the fact that people with mrt's will need to upgrade or buy new, but if i were mylaps, would i do the same?

Dr_UpGrade
21-01-2013, 08:02 PM
err... Exactly where was there any "shooting" - I'm sure I was merely asking for verification, wondering about his own personal bias affecting the results and indeed trying to 'help' by suggesting that he also maybe could or should contact MRT...

Where's the problem with that..? And to be honest, I think you and other sponsored drivers are so far removed from the kind of folk I'm talking about, I really can't see how you can state what you did as a "fact", its SIMPLY totally an unknown... you cannot say it won't happen as its out of your own sphere of control...

Sheesh some of you really think you know everything don't you and I do love the way the 'established' pecking order appear to stick together when someone comes up and questions this apparent status quo....

Sorry but I still think we (as the club shrccc) should talk about this soon, and then we can decide...

Dudders
21-01-2013, 09:42 PM
AND.... I think we'll end it there :p

Great debate and I'm sure this will rumble on at many BRCA areas, meetings and clubs in 2013 and onwards.

I think as far as SHRCCC is concerned, at present we'll stay RC3 so MRT WILL WORK but in time, based on current info, I would advise a Harry purchase to future proof your RC Kit.

Club offer on Harry's elsewhere on oople.

Thread locked.