PDA

View Full Version : Orion Touch - Discharge


Allan1875
25-01-2013, 08:59 AM
Anyone else been caught out by this?

Put my batteries onto storage charge last night and set the charger to discharge at the max 2a.

The amps peaked at 0.6a discharge current and i couldn't figure it out so i emailed Orion. Got a reply stating discharge was limited to 5w, therefore the discharge current is limited to "0.5A" with a 10v battery.

Still doesn't make complete sense to me, i just find it very misleading. It does say on the tech specs of their charger on their website that discharge its limited to 5w but that means nothing to me.

My only worry with this charger when it was bought for me was this low discharge amps, but this makes things worse for me and im disappointed as i love this charger.

I suppose the only upside is that lipos don't need constantly discharged.

Anyone else offer more technical insight into this? I don't understand why it's limited to such low amps.

mattr
25-01-2013, 09:49 AM
I don't understand why it's limited to such low amps.Its power limited. 5W is the most heat it can safely dissipate. 10V at 0.5A hits the limit.

If you get a 2.5V battery you would be able to hit 2A (but still only 5W)

RudolfXC
25-01-2013, 11:39 AM
If you wanted to discharge at 20A, you should have gone for the 12V DC only Pro version.

Allan1875
25-01-2013, 11:55 AM
If you wanted to discharge at 20A, you should have gone for the 12V DC only Pro version.

Didn't even realise there was 2 versions.

From what I read, a 5 min run with a lipo is fine to store it afterwards anyway.

bigred5765
25-01-2013, 12:00 PM
in 2-3 years of using lipos i have never ever need to discharge one,

rondoolaa
25-01-2013, 12:19 PM
in 2-3 years of using lipos i have never ever need to discharge one,

Me neither,

I race mainly indoors so not keen on the pro version as its 12v only, yes I know I could use a power supply but prefer just to plug into the mains,

Just run your car for 4-5 minutes then store, I've left batteries 5 months after a 5 minute run and they have still been fine,

Allan1875
25-01-2013, 01:11 PM
Thanks for the storage advice, good to hear.