PDA

View Full Version : New to GT12 - Core RC any good?


Gareth273
29-01-2013, 01:16 PM
Hi All. Im looking at getting a couple of Schuey superstox's (one for me and one for the lad) so ive been looking at the electrics. The easy option is to go for the Core RC package (ESC, 1S Lipo (20C) and 13.5 motor) but I was wondering how competative the package is on track?

Ta

Gareth

Dave Dodd
29-01-2013, 01:40 PM
excellent package to get you started, really good esc and motor, batteries a little low ( c rating ) but ideal for club racing
:D

reg
29-01-2013, 01:43 PM
I run the core RC speedo with a thunderpower motor and LRP 50c battery,this combo is as fast as the top spec speedos running at our club,
iv never seen anyone run the combination you say,if the motor has fixed timing it wont be as competative as the ones that do,

Gareth273
29-01-2013, 02:13 PM
The motor is a Speed passion V3 which according to a search does have adjustable timing.

neallewis
29-01-2013, 04:50 PM
You get what you pay for. The core rc speedo is ok, seems to perform well. I've seen top racers use them to good effect. it's a good starter and works well.

The motor does come with adjustable timing, but not by much (compared with other motors available). it's a good performer, but not an A final winner. I'm not a fan of the on motor connectors, they get dirty, cause a resistance, heat up and eventually de-solder, after the motor has been used some time.

The battery is fine for staters, but you soon realise they offer no punch or grunt needed to win races. Mine feels like its flat compaired to my 65C packs, so i only use it for practice.

Gareth273
29-01-2013, 05:14 PM
Thanks for the feedback.

What are the alternatives for a not quite so cheap start up package with regards to ESC and motor. I've found 50c 1s lipo's for a reasonable price but I'm struggling with the other two items?

Gareth.

neallewis
29-01-2013, 05:17 PM
the core rc speedo is good on its own. hobbywing 1S is an alternative, as is LRP/Nostam stock spec.

motor, you can't go wrong with the thunderpower 13.5t or the dynamite 13.5t.

neallewis
29-01-2013, 05:41 PM
double post?

JimboJames1972
29-01-2013, 05:43 PM
Gareth,

The Core package is perfectly good enough to start with, especially if you have only a little racing experience or are just starting out. if you already know what you are doing you might be able to get an edge with different motors and cells but the speedo is perfectly fine - a couple of the guys at my local clubs have the speedo and they regularly put their cars at the sharp end of the "A" final and win meetings.

The motor is ok. The issue with connectors has already been mentioned but another potential issue is the plugs shorting on your pod if you choose to get better weight distribution by spacing the motor away from its mounting. If you decide that this motor is not for you then other good options are definitely the Thunder Power (if you are looking for performance and value) or either the GM Pro or Reedy Sonic if budget is not a worry.

I would argue that "C" rating on your chosen cells is not as big an issue as their capacity and looking after them right. The current loads our cars demand are not inconsequential, but they are a lot less than for other classes of racing. However, voltage in your pack at the end of the race does make a big difference, so having plenty of capacity left at the buzzer will be noticeable on the track. Having yourself some 90C/6500mAh cells and paying top dollar for them will be a waste of time over some cheaper 50-60C/4500-5000mAh ones - both have more than enough capacity and you just don't need the extra "C". Intergy and IB both do some good ones for a decent price. As for looking after them, don't leave them fully charged (either discharge to 3.8v or storage mode if your charger has it) or leave them as is after a race. Store them somewhere cool and they should last ages.

Hope this helps,

James

mark christopher
29-01-2013, 06:48 PM
The motor is a Speed passion V3 which according to a search does have adjustable timing.

only up to 10 dergee, thunderpower will go to 50

ill ask what should be asked,
how old/ experienced in rc is your lad? and yourself?
where will you be racing, club? national?
whats your budjet?

Gareth273
29-01-2013, 07:55 PM
Hi Mark,

I have done plenty of racing (a fair bit against you some time ago) and I currently race 1/8 RallyX. James has done some RallyX too but not that much. Superstox will be raced at club level for now but who knows what will happen if he really likes it - and me, although RallyX will be our main theme for the summer (if we get one)
Budget wise, I dont want to go too mad as I have to buy two of everything to get us going but I dont want to waste money on bits that I feel will soon need upgrading as things progress. So for car, cells, motor, esc, transmitter for the lad (nothing special but 2.4) I dont really want any more than £700 which I think will be tight.
I want the cars to be competative enough for him to get something out of it and not feel as though he is always being left behind.

SlowOne
29-01-2013, 09:27 PM
The Core package will be fine. I'd bet my car that if you gave that package to the best driver int eh club he will still be faster than you or your lad over a five-minute race. If you are good enough to run the five-minute race without a single mistake, or missing a single apex, then a faster motor or better cells may well take you up a level.

Until then, tuning the chassis, learning to drive faster and being perfect for five minutes will be much cheaper ways to go faster than buying a bigger cell or a different motor. Being competitive is 90% you and 10% car. Once you are competitive, winning is 90% car and 10% you. If, like the rest of us, you and your lad are not budding World Champions, you will find like the rest of us that the Core gear is fine and a great way to get into the wonderful world of RC. HTH :)

SlowOne
29-01-2013, 09:27 PM
Double post - but I don't know how??!!! :wtf:

mark christopher
29-01-2013, 09:41 PM
Ah Mr H formerly of Guildford.....


Could be worth looking at core speedo, a thunder power motor each, couple of decent lipo each, I would advise a 12th scale servo small savox, don't go for full size. If you check the brca EB list, you can get some good sport packs that are OK for brca use, I use Vapextech.

If you don't have a regular shop I can recommend mbmodels, who would do a deal.

Gareth273
31-01-2013, 08:32 PM
Thanks for all the feedback.

I've decided to go with the following setup;
Schumacher SS
Core RC speedo
Thunder Power motor
Vapextech 5500 65c 1s lipo
Savox 1350 servo
Aston Martin shell.

+transmitter for the lad (I already have a futsba 4pks)

That should do us I reckon.

Ay comments before I buy?

JimboJames1972
31-01-2013, 09:06 PM
Gareth,
Sounds like a good setup.
Just out of curiosity, what servos will you be running in the cars?
James

Gareth273
31-01-2013, 09:14 PM
James,

I was thinking Savox 1350 or 1357

mark christopher
31-01-2013, 09:25 PM
Thanks for all the feedback.

I've decided to go with the following setup;
Schumacher SS
Core RC speedo
Thunder Power motor
Vapextech 5500 65c 1s lipo
Savox 1350 servo
Aston Martin shell.

+transmitter for the lad (I already have a futsba 4pks)

That should do us I reckon.

Ay comments before I buy?


a diff each for the supastox and spring kit, see you at the chesterfield summer shoot outs :D

Gareth273
31-01-2013, 09:26 PM
Budget isn't going to stretch to 2 diffs but I will get a couple of sping kits.

mark christopher
31-01-2013, 09:28 PM
Budget isn't going to stretch to 2 diffs but I will get a couple of sping kits.
they some times pop up second hand if i see one ill let you know

Gareth273
31-01-2013, 09:28 PM
Some details on the chesterfield shoot outs would be good though :)

mark christopher
02-02-2013, 09:54 AM
All here mate
http://www.carsrcracing.co.uk

DAVO
24-02-2013, 11:33 AM
Hi I am also just starting out with the supastox,I'm planning on getting the core rc ESC but is it sensored or do i need a sensoreless motor
Thanks
David

RudolfXC
24-02-2013, 12:05 PM
The ESC is sensored.

JimboJames1972
24-02-2013, 04:43 PM
Davo,

The Core unit is sensored. Generally speaking, a sensored ESC will need a sensored motor. A non-sensored ESC can run any type of motor, sensored or non.

Therefore, you will need a sensored motor to run with your Core ESC

Hope this helps

James

DAVO
24-02-2013, 10:43 PM
Thanks for the info
David

TonyD.
25-02-2013, 09:57 PM
are there any other bodies that will work with supastox?

DAVO
01-03-2013, 05:50 PM
Hi can anyone tell me what size pinion to get for a supastox with a 13.5 turn motor
Also the pitch
Thanks in advance
David

JimboJames1972
01-03-2013, 10:13 PM
Hi Davo,

To know the right sized pinion you need to know other things - model of motor, track size and complexity, spur gear size and tire size.

Because GT12 cars run foam tires (which anve the anoying habbit of wearing down and change diameter) we don't bother with overall gear ratio, but we calculate the "millimetres per rev". In other words, how far the car will travel for one complete turn of the motor. This figure takes into account pinion size, spur size and tire size.

mm per rev = (3.142 x tire diameter x pinion teeth) / spur teeth.

The mm/rev you need will then depend on your motor make and model and the size of the track you are racing on. For example, a revvy motor on a tight and twisty little track might work best with a 55mm/rev setting. On the other hand, a motor with more torque on a big, fast and flowing track might work better with 75mm/rev.

What motor and track size do you race on?

If you ask other racers at your regular track what mm/rev they use you can find a suitable pinion by:-

Pinion needed = (mm/rev x spur) / (3.142 x tire diameter)

Hope this helps

James

PS if you have either an iPhone or Andriod handset there are several apps that will do all these calculations for you

PPS. If you are doing the above calculations "by hand" it does not matter if you are using 32 or 48dp pinions and spurs. However, make sure you measure your tire diameter in "mm" and not inches, cm or furlongs...

f888fhw
02-03-2013, 09:08 AM
Are you going to race at Teesside or Barley Mow?

DAVO
02-03-2013, 01:22 PM
Teesside mate as I race at seaham on a Sunday

f888fhw
02-03-2013, 02:07 PM
For Teesside 65 mm/rev is a good start point.

Shaun_TLR
09-03-2013, 06:32 PM
can someone confirm whether the core rc kit is sensored or not, and does it do reverse or not?

ta

discothesnake
09-03-2013, 07:14 PM
It's sensored and can do reverse.