PDA

View Full Version : Gear Diff Help


Cremegg
11-02-2013, 11:56 AM
Hi All

Im just looking for a little help regarding my gear diff.

Ive been advised to put 3000 oil in but i dont know if this is in watt or Cst?

I opened the diff up and found a smelly black grease in here but no oil? is this normal?

I tested to see if the diff was leakproof with a bit of diff oil but it seems to leak out of where the outdrives are for the CVD's

Is there an alternative to oil in this case, if the diff is not leakproof?

Thanks

Gavin Collingwood
11-02-2013, 01:03 PM
All gear diffs come with break in grease that you're supposed to replace with oil. 3000 will be the cst rating. And if you want my opinion throw the gear diff in the bin and get a ball diff. Gear diffs are shocking in the wet

Cremegg
11-02-2013, 01:13 PM
Cheers Gav

I've just had another look at it now and there are no rubber seals or o rings in the diff??? And there Is diff oil leaking out so I guess it's not leakproof

I can't find a ball diff for the model I have, the closest I've come to seeing one is a rb5/6 diff

Is there anyway to leakproof it or an alternative to oil?

Cheers

Gavin Collingwood
11-02-2013, 01:21 PM
There should be rubber seals around the perimeter of the planetary gear with holes where your screws go through. Remember don't over fill the diff fill with oil, only fill the oil until it just reaches the gears. If you over fill it then there isn't enough space in the diff for the oil to move around and the diff will not work as it will jam up

Cremegg
11-02-2013, 01:29 PM
Ok cheers

There is definitely no rubber seals in the diff, an it leaks slightly out where the outdrives cup is too

Here is a link to the diff that is no assembled and shows all the parts, what do you think?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-LRP-S10-TWISTER-BUGGY-SPARES-GEAR-DIFFERENTIAL-PARTS-diff-R4-/310585073972?pt=UK_ToysGames_RadioControlled_JN&hash=item4850502134

Cheers

Si Coe
11-02-2013, 04:03 PM
Its not a sealed diff, so you can't fill it with oil. Lots of budget models run unsealed gear diffs - they are simple, reliable and cheap. However they can't be adjusted unlike ball or sealed gear diffs.

Cremegg
11-02-2013, 04:26 PM
ok thanks Si

so would i have to just use grease then? and if so, what would you recommend?

thanks

Gavin Collingwood
11-02-2013, 04:47 PM
I'd recommend you buy something else soon as you'll soon need a more adjustable car

mattr
11-02-2013, 04:50 PM
ok thanks Si

so would i have to just use grease then? and if so, what would you recommend?

thanksjust a light engineering grease, something plastic friendly.
I used lithium based cycle grease in mine (b4.1rtr)
Best thing to do is have a serious look for either a ball or sealed gear diff that'll fit.

Cremegg
11-02-2013, 04:51 PM
Haha Gav

if i could i deffo would, but im tight for monies at the mo and ive got a child on the way too.

Dont get me wrong, i am thinking about getting a better car in the future but cant at the moment

Cremegg
11-02-2013, 04:53 PM
just a light engineering grease, something plastic friendly.
I used lithium based cycle grease in mine (b4.1rtr)
Best thing to do is have a serious look for either a ball or sealed gear diff that'll fit.

hhhmmmm i look into that for the meantime. thanks

ive had a look for a gear/ball diff but i cannot find one anywhere...the closest ive come to seeing one that is close is a Kyosho RB5/RB6 one, looks the same but i cant figure what the size is.

mattr
11-02-2013, 05:08 PM
Just stick some dimensions up for the one you have.
I'm sure some one will be able to measure up what they have lying around.
Will need to know quite a bit tho!

Cremegg
11-02-2013, 05:13 PM
yer ok

what dimensions would you need and would pictures help too?

thanks

mattr
11-02-2013, 05:24 PM
Anything that interfaces with the rest of the car!
The outer diameter, no of teeth, bearing sizes, width (several widths!) Outdrive details.
And so on.

Cremegg
11-02-2013, 05:27 PM
no problem

ill sort this tonight and let you know

cheers

Cremegg
11-02-2013, 07:26 PM
Hi Guys

Heres The Disassmebled (with Dimensions) Diff

GEAR DIFF GEAR IS ***51T***

This is not my best work but its the best i can do haha

Hope you can Help

Cheers

mattr
11-02-2013, 07:33 PM
Right, looks like a 210 diff won't fit, it's too wide across the bearing seats!

Cremegg
11-02-2013, 07:42 PM
its a start haha

ive been looking at kyosho parts and they are very very simalar to the gear box that i have which gets me thinking maybe a kyosho diff may fit?

what do you think

http://www.jemodels.com/electric-models?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=9948&category_id=1285

UPDATE - the Kyosho RB5 looks very very similar to the buggy i have

http://www.kyosho.com/eng/products/rc/detail.html?product_id=104962

Col
11-02-2013, 08:08 PM
Appearance means extremely little TBH.

What car is it? Twister S10?

Cremegg
11-02-2013, 08:10 PM
hi col

yes it is.

thats a shame because the gear box looks very similar to mine

ive checked a RB5 pdf manual and the gearbox and bearings are exactly the same size that i have.

have a look http://www.kyosho.com/jpn/support/instructionmanual/buggy/pdf/30074sp_ultima_rb5_sp_m.pdf

thanks

Col
11-02-2013, 08:15 PM
I'm not saying it won't fit, just that what it looks like means very little.
From my limited knowledge I believe the 4wd lrp and the 4wd caster were the same car, so that might be a good avenue to explore

Cremegg
11-02-2013, 08:29 PM
oh ok cheers

mines the 2wd sorry

thanks

Col
11-02-2013, 09:53 PM
I know, but if they shared 4wd they might have shared 2wd as well

Gavin Collingwood
11-02-2013, 10:39 PM
I run the rb6 and yeah the diff may fit but it mainly depends on number of teeth, and kyosho diffs prob wouldn't come cheap too

Cremegg
11-02-2013, 11:04 PM
Oh yer mines a 51T and I've seen the prices they are quite steep, I'm just gonna stick with the one I have for now and invest in a better car in the future

Ignore my message on Facebook I sent you lol

Cheers again guys

Si Coe
11-02-2013, 11:37 PM
First rule with budget cars is don't upgrade parts. Its never worth it.

Electrics are a good idea to upgrade, because these can fit in any other chassis anyway - everything else is too specific.

Bear in mind that a used 22 or 210 can be had for £100 or even less and spending £30 on a gear diff for the Twister isn't worth it.

Gavin Collingwood
11-02-2013, 11:48 PM
Exactly my point si, if money is tight Chris buy used and give it a strip and clean

Cremegg
11-02-2013, 11:58 PM
Yer I've thought about and going to invest in a car the future when I have some spare cash,

I've got one of them etronix 13t esc/motor combos in

I've bought a new 210 high clearence wing for £4 (as the stock wing keeps rubbing on the wheels) and that's about it lol

I cut the first one I bought wrong lol

Cheers again guys