View Full Version : Racing meetings on 24th Feb and 3rd March.
Si Coe
18-02-2013, 09:37 PM
Obviously the news of Rogers sad passing has been a shock to all of us.
Roger was extremely dedicated to Bury Metro, and he'd already said to me ages back that part of the reason for expanding the committee was to ensure the club would continue without him.
Therefore I feel that it is vitally important that Bury Metro lives on to continue Roger's legacy.
However Roger was the very heart of the club, and is not someone we can simply replace. The club is going to need to decide how it is gong to move forwards whilst preserving Rogers memory. But that is the sort of thing that needs to be decided after Rogers funeral. Now is the time for mourning not discussions.
For that reason Darren and I have decided we are cancelling this weekends meeting at Goshen. Whilst I would have been operating race control all the equipment is at Rogers house and now is not an appropriate time to be collecting it.
Likewise we feel that it is unlikely that the Counthill meeting on the 3rd will go ahead either.
What will be needed soon is an EGM to decide how the club will continue to operate without the man who basically ran every aspect of the club singlehandedly. Roger can never truly be replaced, and its likely to take 2-3 other people to do all the things he did by himself such was his dedication to the club.
We owe it to Roger to keep Bury Metro going, and growing, but for now we need to pause to mourn the loss of someone who personified the club. To many Roger was Bury Metro.
I hope everyone understands our decision.
coleman758
18-02-2013, 09:50 PM
Yep, Thats the right decision.
Big Show
18-02-2013, 10:30 PM
Hi to all. I agree with Si. Now is not the time to be running the next couple of meetings, and I would just like to say Si "WELL SAID". We deffo need an egm, just let me know when and were. I hope some of the clubs members are aible to attend and put some of thier veiws forward on how we can move forward in Rogers memory.
Speek soon
Big Mark.
Gavin Collingwood
19-02-2013, 12:08 AM
I'll be there at the EGM
Gavin Collingwood
19-02-2013, 12:12 AM
I also think at some point a memorial race would be a good idea and I think it would attract A LOT of drivers including many big names as roger has influenced many of those now top drivers down the years. Obviuosly after his funeral but I think a memorial event in the spring/summer could be very successful and maybe proceeds could go to a charity of the families choice. Just an idea
Si Coe
19-02-2013, 01:05 AM
Already being considered Gavin.
Keep us posted on that idea guys - I can think of a few at YORCC who'd like to come over and pay our respects.
johnnygibbon
19-02-2013, 09:21 AM
Well said Si
Totally agree I will be at the Agm , Rog has shown us how to do it for years now we must continue
All I can add is I think we need more than a memorial race
How about a nice bench sat next to the track with a shines brass plaque
A permanent reminder of the man who's dedication to to the club and its members will not be forgotten
Gavin Collingwood
19-02-2013, 09:31 AM
Well said Si
Totally agree I will be at the Agm , Rog has shown us how to do it for years now we must continue
All I can add is I think we need more than a memorial race
How about a nice bench sat next to the track with a shines brass plaque
A permanent reminder of the man who's dedication to to the club and its members will not be forgotten
Or both?
johnnygibbon
19-02-2013, 09:47 AM
definately agree there gavin
both
im gonna miss rog and im not the only one for sure
but a race a bench a big photo anything really that helps keep his memory going gets a big thumbs up from me
Gavin Collingwood
19-02-2013, 10:13 AM
Don't see how a bench would work as you wouldn't be able to see the track while st on it. Probably a plaque or something would be better
Gavin Collingwood
19-02-2013, 10:14 AM
Or maybe a part of the track after him, like the first turn at the end of the straight? Or the doubles or table top?
Si Coe
19-02-2013, 10:27 AM
I did think of a section of the track.
Better still, but longer term we had been considering a new race control building/rostrum which really should be named after him if its built.
losichris
19-02-2013, 11:19 AM
think a meeting is needed,last thing roger would have wanted was the club to spiral out of control. im there every week like most others to help
best leave the racing a few weeks out of respect, then get organised
Wupding
19-02-2013, 11:47 AM
Just a thought but what about altering the name of the club, in memory of Roger??
Gavin Collingwood
19-02-2013, 12:29 PM
Yes si, name the new rostrum after him or even the current one with a roof
budfish
19-02-2013, 01:19 PM
Spot on Si. Could the EGM take place at a weekend and not a week night so we all have a chance of attending?
Si Coe
19-02-2013, 01:34 PM
We were thinking Sunday 10th March, at the track but its not been organised yet.
Howler
19-02-2013, 02:06 PM
This all makes sense. However i'd be happy enough to open up for a practice session this Sunday if people want some track time? We have all the new jumps to try out.
Howler
19-02-2013, 02:12 PM
Also Si, you're not on your own with race control, Roger showed me how to do it and i still have the old laptop to practice on. I'm sure there would be hiccups. but i'm happy enough that i can run a meeting on my own if it comes to it.
coleman758
19-02-2013, 02:37 PM
Im also upto speed on race control.
I think all racing of any sort need to be put on hold as per Si's first post.
Si Coe
19-02-2013, 03:09 PM
Running races isn't the issue though. Its what happens when things don't work its a problem. A group of part timers can't match the knowledge of a dedicated race controller
Howler
19-02-2013, 03:22 PM
Agreed, there's a lot to discuss at an EGM, Oople really isnt the best place for much of this.
Maddy
19-02-2013, 04:54 PM
Nice kind words Si and very thoughtful,
Count me in on the EGM meeting.
The idea of a race meeting in respect of Rodger is a great idea.
Would be nice to see a packed out day raising money for charity and would be nice if Oople would do a photo shoot covering the meeting.
Dave
losichris
19-02-2013, 05:03 PM
This all makes sense. However i'd be happy enough to open up for a practice session this Sunday if people want some track time? We have all the new jumps to try out.
I wouldnt mind popping down on sunday, weather seems ok at the moment
Gavin Collingwood
19-02-2013, 05:35 PM
I'll be down on Sunday and pretty sure Chris E will be too. Shows what it comes to when I'd rather practice at bury outdoor than race at srcc indoor
woOdy
19-02-2013, 05:42 PM
I'll be down on Sunday and pretty sure Chris E will be too. Shows what it comes to when I'd rather practice at bury outdoor than race at srcc indoor
I'm in for that.
Howler
19-02-2013, 06:09 PM
Ok, i'll be down at Goshen at 9:30 to open up.
Maddy
19-02-2013, 06:10 PM
Ill be there too.
budfish
19-02-2013, 09:59 PM
Ill pop down aswell see you all then
Wupding
19-02-2013, 10:02 PM
Hi guys...
Managed to see Stu and Jen this evening.... And have a good chat about a few things.
Stu has pointed out that in the last 13+ years that Roger has been Race Controller... He only missed 1 meeting due to ill health ....
Stu has asked if this Sundays meeting could go on as normal as this would be what Roger would want to happen.
So can i ask for everyone to gather the troops spread the word and show their gratitude for everything that Roger did for the club by turning up on Sunday
Wez Davis
losichris
19-02-2013, 10:32 PM
Hi guys...
Managed to see Stu and Jen this evening.... And have a good chat about a few things.
Stu has pointed out that in the last 13+ years that Roger has been Race Controller... He only missed 1 meeting due to ill health ....
Stu has asked if this Sundays meeting could go on as normal as this would be what Roger would want to happen.
So can i ask for everyone to gather the troops spread the word and show their gratitude for everything that Roger did for the club by turning up on Sunday
Wez Davis
Of course we will be there
Si Coe
19-02-2013, 11:18 PM
Fine with me. I said I'd run it before, and if Stu wants to then I'm in.
The main reason I didn't want to run a meeting this weekend is that the timing equipment and cabin keys are all at Rogers house and I felt it would be inappropriate to be disturbing the family at this time. However that appears not to be the case so if Stu wants to bring the gear I'm more than happy enough to run race control.
As Stu says Rog would want us to race.
bigred5765
19-02-2013, 11:26 PM
just a thought
what about doing a memorial meeting once a year in his name all proceeds to something of his family choice,trophies prizes etc all about fun,
coleman758
19-02-2013, 11:50 PM
Lets race then!
Il see if I can get down, not 100% as we are moving into our new house Saturday!
If I can make it il help SI with race control.
Chris Elworthy
20-02-2013, 06:00 AM
I was thinking the same Carl, I'd imagine all these topics will be covered at the EGM for sure.
Is the information available to send an email to our members regarding the terrible news and upcoming meeting for those who aren't on oople?
I shall be there on Sunday for sure, let me know if there is anything you need my help with.
Chris
Gavin Collingwood
20-02-2013, 08:00 AM
Fingers crossed for good weather then
Si Coe
20-02-2013, 09:29 AM
I was thinking the same Carl, I'd imagine all these topics will be covered at the EGM for sure.
Is the information available to send an email to our members regarding the terrible news and upcoming meeting for those who aren't on oople?
I shall be there on Sunday for sure, let me know if there is anything you need my help with.
Chris
This is an example of the levels that Rogers involvement went to. Yes we have email addresses for all the members that aren't on Oople, but it was Roger that held all that information.
All I can suggest is for now that we rely on spreading the news to those people we know who aren't on here.
losichris
20-02-2013, 02:40 PM
Fingers crossed for good weather then
forcast dry/cold
Gavin Collingwood
20-02-2013, 02:45 PM
Dry is all I care about. Can use the tranny muff to fight the cold :-)
Howler
20-02-2013, 03:42 PM
This is an example of the levels that Rogers involvement went to. Yes we have email addresses for all the members that aren't on Oople, but it was Roger that held all that information.
All I can suggest is for now that we rely on spreading the news to those people we know who aren't on here.
I will put a message on the front page of the website, i need to make some changes on there anyway.
EDIT: Thinking about it, Roger may well have kept all the email address on the race control laptop, so we can have a look on Sunday.
Howler
20-02-2013, 11:24 PM
Meeting added to the website calendar, message added to the front page and email changed to my personal on for the time being as we have no access to the site one currently.
MattK
23-02-2013, 02:05 PM
What time is racing tomorrow? Booking and estimated finish?
Thanks in advance as been a while since I was there.
Chris Elworthy
23-02-2013, 03:36 PM
We usually get there for 10:30 to setup the track and race control, I do believe some are arriving earlier tomorrow though.
Chris
MattK
23-02-2013, 03:39 PM
Cheers for that. What's the usual finish time?
Chris Elworthy
23-02-2013, 03:50 PM
Usually around 4
Gavin Collingwood
23-02-2013, 04:07 PM
When it goes dark :-)
Howler
23-02-2013, 04:24 PM
I'd expect 5 tomorrow, i would expect some race control issues...
dadst3r
23-02-2013, 07:29 PM
Sorry to hear the sad news. I have been into RC for a few years but never seriously. I was hoping to come down there tomorrow morning for a bit of a practice with my cars & my son and his car. Not ready to race yet i just wanted to have a bit of practice on a track for the first time. Would tomorrow not the right time to do this in light of recent events or is it ok for us to come down and have a look before your meeting starts. Many thanks.
losichris
23-02-2013, 07:32 PM
Sorry to hear the sad news. I have been into RC for a few years but never seriously. I was hoping to come down there tomorrow morning for a bit of a practice with my cars & my son and his car. Not ready to race yet i just wanted to have a bit of practice on a track for the first time. Would tomorrow not the right time to do this in light of recent events or is it ok for us to come down and have a look before your meeting starts. Many thanks.
Pop down, there will be plenty of time to practice
dadst3r
23-02-2013, 07:34 PM
Pop down, there will be plenty of time to practice
Thanks I think we will come and check it out.
Gavin Collingwood
23-02-2013, 09:41 PM
Gonna be cold tomorrow, get your tranny muffs at the ready!
Si Coe
23-02-2013, 09:55 PM
We've always suspected you were a tranny Gav, but we still don't want to see your muff.......
Gavin Collingwood
23-02-2013, 10:22 PM
When your fingers are dropping off and mine are toasty I'll remember your comments
Si Coe
23-02-2013, 10:32 PM
I've got the cabin to keep me warm. I'm bringing a heater :p
Howler
23-02-2013, 11:25 PM
Gonna be cold tomorrow, get your tranny muffs at the ready!
Thin gloves for cold, tranny muff for rain.
Gavin Collingwood
24-02-2013, 12:12 AM
Muff for both, nice and toasty
budfish
24-02-2013, 11:02 AM
I prefer muffs
Gavin Collingwood
24-02-2013, 05:33 PM
Who doesn't....
losichris
24-02-2013, 05:36 PM
Great day today.
Now i know why we stay indoors till April...SOOOOO COLD
Big shout out to Si for doing the meeting, no major problems :)
Howler
24-02-2013, 05:39 PM
Great day today.
Big shout out to Si for doing the meeting, no major problems :)
Aside from his mumbling :p Nah, it went really well Si, well done.
Si Coe
24-02-2013, 05:44 PM
I need a bigger car - all the race control stuff, speakers, my racing gear and 2 child seats won't fit in a Vauxhall Astra!
And now I'm home I've no idea where to store it all.
Still great race in the final. 7 Minutes and it came down to the last corner, just a shame it was for last overall.
After the race I inspected my car and found that the left front shock wasn't attached, the rear front suspension plate was loose and one of the gearbox screws had fallen off. I need to keep an eye on my own car more whilst running race control!
Gavin Collingwood
24-02-2013, 05:56 PM
At the back must've been where it was at si, as I raced on my own for 7 mins. Went well today si well done, looking forward to next week now and being a bit warmer too
losichris
24-02-2013, 06:19 PM
At the back must've been where it was at si, as I raced on my own for 7 mins. Went well today si well done, looking forward to next week now and being a bit warmer too
RB6 was very quick today. Managed to stay in touch for a few laps, then made a mistake which allowed Millzy through. Good final tho
Si Coe
24-02-2013, 06:46 PM
Massive thanks to Neil for all the assistance - I've picked up quite a few new tricks today.....
Darren Wales
24-02-2013, 06:56 PM
A big thank you to Si for doing race control and taking the gear too!
I was also pleased with the turnout and assistance provided by some extra faces today. As was proven today, we will need many hands to fill the void left by 'The Race Controller'.
Hope many can make the EGM next week.
See new thread.
Darren
johnnygibbon
24-02-2013, 09:31 PM
good days racing and well run in all si an birdy got it sorted , good track that rob laid out to. gonna get my esc sorted and me and nick can car share again, reckon weve got another 210 owner on the cards:lol:
birdy
24-02-2013, 09:44 PM
Will always try and help out when I can.
Good day had by all I think, had a good laugh which is what its all about!
Gavin Collingwood
24-02-2013, 10:19 PM
good days racing and well run in all si an birdy got it sorted , good track that rob laid out to. gonna get my esc sorted and me and nick can car share again, reckon weve got another 210 owner on the cards:lol:
I very much doubt nick would get one of those....
Cremegg
25-02-2013, 12:39 AM
Yeah cheers guys for running it today...was really good apart from the cold
Nearly landed right on top of your car Si in the last jump...
Good stuff
Gavin Collingwood
25-02-2013, 01:13 PM
Also like to add that the track was a great layout yesterday so well done to rob mills and co that built it, shame it was a bit cold but hopefully will start to warm up as march arrives, also is there any reason why we can't have a few more indoor meetings before the start of the season? Maybe it could be brought up in the EGM?
Si Coe
25-02-2013, 04:14 PM
Biggest problem I can see is that there is a LOT of gear that needs hauling about to do indoor meetings which can just be left at Goshen for outdoor ones. Half the stuff in my car (printer, PA amp, speakers, wiring) lives at the track all summer but has to be taken to Counthill and back during the indoor season.
The track was great - but too long. People were timing out on their last lap. The problem is the computer times 5 mins from the first car setting off and sounds the buzzer when that finishes - it then gives 40 seconds for the drivers to cross the line after that for their last lap.
Unfortunately in a staggered start car 7 or 8 left more than 10 seconds after the first car off, which means when the buzzer goes they have only been going 4.50 or less. When they pass the loop its not their final lap until their clock reaches 5 mins.
Under normal 20 second lap conditions this is fine because they can still complete the final lap before the overall 5.40 time runs out. But with a 30 second lap its a lot harder and many people didn't manage it!
You can adjust that 40 seconds but that impacts on the turnover of heats. The easiest option is to aim for 20-25 second lap times for an average driver.
bandit
25-02-2013, 05:15 PM
Biggest problem I can see is that there is a LOT of gear that needs hauling about to do indoor meetings which can just be left at Goshen for outdoor ones. Half the stuff in my car (printer, PA amp, speakers, wiring) lives at the track all summer but has to be taken to Counthill and back during the indoor season.
What about sharing the work load with a few people so say only a couple of items per person to bring to indoor meets ?
fil9144
25-02-2013, 05:24 PM
Biggest problem I can see is that there is a LOT of gear that needs hauling about to do indoor meetings which can just be left at Goshen for outdoor ones. Half the stuff in my car (printer, PA amp, speakers, wiring) lives at the track all summer but has to be taken to Counthill and back during the indoor season.
The track was great - but too long. People were timing out on their last lap. The problem is the computer times 5 mins from the first car setting off and sounds the buzzer when that finishes - it then gives 40 seconds for the drivers to cross the line after that for their last lap.
Unfortunately in a staggered start car 7 or 8 left more than 10 seconds after the first car off, which means when the buzzer goes they have only been going 4.50 or less. When they pass the loop its not their final lap until their clock reaches 5 mins.
Under normal 20 second lap conditions this is fine because they can still complete the final lap before the overall 5.40 time runs out. But with a 30 second lap its a lot harder and many people didn't manage it!
You can adjust that 40 seconds but that impacts on the turnover of heats. The easiest option is to aim for 20-25 second lap times for an average driver.
i have large car which roger was always 1st to remind me so would offer any help i can give
Darren Wales
25-02-2013, 09:11 PM
What about sharing the work load with a few people so say only a couple of items per person to bring to indoor meets ?
Big problem with that would be if anyone with an item can't make it!
In truth, we should run EITHER indoor or outdoor to avoid the need to lug so much gear around. It can be done on one off's but obviously a lot of work whenever we do it.
In case Si is nudging for a sub on a new club car, it ain't happening. ;)
Si Coe
25-02-2013, 09:16 PM
Truth is I hadn't really considered how much there is - those speakers are massive!
I'll leave the child seats at home on Sunday, drop the back seats and it will be fine.
However all the stuff does need to be kept together.
Darren Wales
25-02-2013, 09:17 PM
The track was great - but too long. People were timing out on their last lap. The problem is the computer times 5 mins from the first car setting off and sounds the buzzer when that finishes - it then gives 40 seconds for the drivers to cross the line after that for their last lap.
Unfortunately in a staggered start car 7 or 8 left more than 10 seconds after the first car off, which means when the buzzer goes they have only been going 4.50 or less. When they pass the loop its not their final lap until their clock reaches 5 mins.
Under normal 20 second lap conditions this is fine because they can still complete the final lap before the overall 5.40 time runs out. But with a 30 second lap its a lot harder and many people didn't manage it!
You can adjust that 40 seconds but that impacts on the turnover of heats. The easiest option is to aim for 20-25 second lap times for an average driver.[/QUOTE]
Si,
It's funny that Roger would have told us the laps where too long, just by looking at the track but between us ALL couldn't figure it out for hours. Your explanation seems so obvious now!
All part of the steep learning curve we are all on. :blush:
Si Coe
25-02-2013, 09:52 PM
Some things make more sense when you can see them on the timing screen!
Gavin Collingwood
25-02-2013, 11:14 PM
Thing is the track wasn't too long it was fine. It's always a longer track outdoors. Just change the setting as its probably been set up like that from the indoor meetings where you have shorter lap times. Track was bob on. Don't change the tracks change the settings.... We had loads of time and will have limitless time in the summer
birdy
26-02-2013, 07:49 AM
Lap times were only 30 seconds!! Just right if not a little short.
Just need to change settings on BBK.
Howler
26-02-2013, 07:57 PM
I didn't think it felt like a long lap, i think we've had many longer outdoors.
losichris
26-02-2013, 09:26 PM
I didn't think it felt like a long lap, i think we've had many longer outdoors.
Exactly, It wasnt any longer than we usually run outdoors, dont forget the extra 2 jumps that we dont usually run. Sundays track was the best ive raced at that track ( not biased because i helped make it) :thumbsup:
Gavin Collingwood
26-02-2013, 10:16 PM
Exactly, It wasnt any longer than we usually run outdoors, dont forget the extra 2 jumps that we dont usually run. Sundays track was the best ive raced at that track ( not biased because i helped make it) :thumbsup:
Totally agree. Also that huge table top we didn't use roger had planned to extend it and I think we still should as that change would make that table top perfect (as at the moment it takes too little speed to clear the whole thing entirely) so we ideally need someone with joinery experience to help do it
vBulletin® v3.8.7, Copyright ©2000-2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.