View Full Version : Is the xb4 worth getting
mtbd500
19-02-2013, 02:42 AM
I have been an avid X-ray fan and have had all of the 8th and 10th scale cars at one point an still have an t3 and nt1. I have a b44.1.5 that is flying but I am on the verge of buying an xb4 to try one but I keep reading worrying info about leaking diffs and shocks. The consensus is that the car drives well but is it fragile or are people just building them wrong? And what is up with the lack of color, is it as bland As it looks in the pics?. I hoped they would stick with the orange anodising, imagine what orange Ali caster blocks would have done for the looks!
hloland
19-02-2013, 11:29 AM
Yes, its worth getting! The car is rigid and drives great! :)
mark christopher
19-02-2013, 12:43 PM
Nt1,xb,rx8 never been orange?
discothesnake
19-02-2013, 03:12 PM
Never had issues with it being fragile. Only had teething issues with shocks and diffs but hopefully i will get it sorted.
My friend helped me lots at the weekend with set-ups and was'nt too far away from being superb. I think it is a car that will get better nad better.
AfroP
19-02-2013, 03:34 PM
had a quick look at the manual online, and it says it comes with oil in the kit
is that shock oil or diff oil? or both?
feniks
19-02-2013, 03:53 PM
it comes with both.
and there have been small problems but xray solvd them with the upgrade package . diffs leaking if you builth them wrong shocks the same story
discothesnake
19-02-2013, 04:05 PM
it comes with both.
and there have been small problems but xray solvd them with the upgrade package . diffs leaking if you builth them wrong shocks the same story
I am not going to turn this thread into an argument but because your diffs and shocks dont leak doesn't mean others are building them wrong. I have built loads of kits over the years including the Durango 410 which has geared diffs and never had issues. Diffs or shocks.
As i said, not wanting a debate, just saying.
I'm pretty sure one way or the other, the issues will get sorted.
Dave
Pedros20
19-02-2013, 04:31 PM
I am not going to turn this thread into an argument but because your diffs and shocks dont leak doesn't mean others are building them wrong. I have built loads of kits over the years including the Durango 410 which has geared diffs and never had issues. Diffs or shocks.
As i said, not wanting a debate, just saying.
I'm pretty sure one way or the other, the issues will get sorted.
Dave
I'm with you Dave on this one, I've built dozens of kits in my time, so I know I've built mine right too, but my diffs have leaked a little & for some reason my front shocks leak from where the bodies meet the caps but the rears don't?
But I have to say the car is so good I can live with it, & as you said I'm sure X-ray will sort it out in due course.
AfroP
19-02-2013, 04:38 PM
it comes with both.
and there have been small problems but xray solvd them with the upgrade package . diffs leaking if you builth them wrong shocks the same story
thats pretty good value that!
must say i'm quite impressed with Xray as a company and the little extra's
One of the things I liked about my losi 22 when i built that was that it came with 2 sets of wheels in the kit and the shock oil, thread lock and greases.
my dex210 only came with grease and the SX3 with horrid packets of grease
feniks
19-02-2013, 05:28 PM
I am not going to turn this thread into an argument but because your diffs and shocks dont leak doesn't mean others are building them wrong. I have built loads of kits over the years including the Durango 410 which has geared diffs and never had issues. Diffs or shocks.
As i said, not wanting a debate, just saying.
I'm pretty sure one way or the other, the issues will get sorted.
Dave
my first diffs leakt aswell , so I whent looking on the problem . found it solvd it and every diff I have builth sinds (6 extra )has no problem just saying even when it looks richt dousent means it works for that sertant part . been doing this already a long time aswell . the shocks I just tichten a few times verry hard and leave them to rest than do it again , after a week I fild them up again and solvd . the plastik settels itselv than a bit to the boddy like if U would boil them only I did not wanted to do that and tryed it this way and it workt aswell . with my 3 sets of shocks .
discothesnake
19-02-2013, 05:37 PM
I'm with you Dave on this one, I've built dozens of kits in my time, so I know I've built mine right too, but my diffs have leaked a little & for some reason my front shocks leak from where the bodies meet the caps but the rears don't?
But I have to say the car is so good I can live with it, & as you said I'm sure X-ray will sort it out in due course.
We even tried Losi 22 seals inside the shock caps but still leaked. Front are worse than rear. They're not losing loads of oil but its still a bit annoying.
Agree tho, the car is great.
my Durango leaked without even using it:) then i used some marine grease and it was all good
I built my Xray up at Xmas and its not touched the track yet,be interesting when i strip the diffs out to see it the gears do hold the oil in like people have said,
mtbd500
19-02-2013, 08:27 PM
Nt1,xb,rx8 never been orange?
No they have silver alloy which looks fantastic, a bit of silver or orange on the xb4 i feel would have been welcome.
gwesty
20-02-2013, 08:20 PM
my first diffs leakt aswell , so I whent looking on the problem . found it solvd it and every diff I have builth sinds (6 extra ) . with my 3 sets of shocks .
You have 6 diffs and 3 sets of shocks ? Jeeez :)
feniks
20-02-2013, 09:39 PM
yes I have . if u run at meetings whare there issent mutch time between heats and you want to test some things well than you need that . even so if I break a dif I never rebuilth that at the meeting , always prep those things at home .
have always had that menny diffs in spare . with my schum cars yokomo asso just name them . never like to be un prepeard lol . no mather what car I run
eyeayen
21-02-2013, 01:19 PM
I hoped they would stick with the orange anodising, imagine what orange Ali caster blocks would have done for the looks!
I guess with other manufacturers also using orange they didn't want their car to look like anyone else's.
Yeah, agree with Eyeayen.
Company's these days are trying to make their car's look as different as possible. For example, Sworkz is all red, JQ is Orange, Associated is Blue etc.
Its like a company's or cars theme, and want customers to recognize their cars by this.
I like the black Ali with the silver edges they do,we can personalise it with colour washers and nut
andoiwebb
24-02-2013, 06:15 PM
Definitely worth getting. I've not had any diff leakages, only very slight front shock leak. Will be rebuilding them with green slime. Having now raced it, the pace is on a par with the Durango, but easier to drive and quicker acceleration (light drive train).
Ralls Racing
25-02-2013, 08:49 AM
absolutely loving mine. seems quick from track to track, easy to work on and when you make a change it does what you think it will. on top of that the car is solid when you hit things. i have broken it but everytime i have i know i would of broken anything with the way it went in :lol:. am also developing a small range of upgrades as we speak so keep an eye on here and the website for when they are available
Nathan Ralls
mtbd500
27-02-2013, 04:04 AM
Very worrying following the xb4 breakages thread. Seems a lot of people are having some serious problems. I just don't know.
BentKa
27-02-2013, 08:19 AM
Very worrying following the xb4 breakages thread. Seems a lot of people are having some serious problems. I just don't know.
Nothing to worry about.
Xray is on top of every single small issue with their latest releases.
They are soon releasing both aluminum shock caps (press release soon) and stronger outdrives (in production) :thumbsup:
With these upgrades the XB4 will be built like a tank ;)
Never had problems with diffs or shocks leaking and still not broken an outdrive (limiters used to avoid contact with outdrives, shim + o-ring).
Just loves this buggy and it's soooo much easier to work on then the B44.2 ;)
Take a look at 4:52 in this video of my daughter running her XB4.
II7_Wo28-6g
Bent
feniks
27-02-2013, 05:16 PM
Very worrying following the xb4 breakages thread. Seems a lot of people are having some serious problems. I just don't know.
cant see enny problems .
all cars brake if its not one thing its an other .
if I look at my B44 the front arms whare crap even the new ones . the outdrives and cardans whare way to fast . and this are only examples . all brands have good and bad points . if U dont like them get an other car my idee .
AfroP
27-02-2013, 06:04 PM
Nothing to worry about.
II7_Wo28-6g
that track looks superb
Holeshot
21-03-2013, 09:40 PM
How are they with durability and performance compaired to the DEX410?
hotrodchris
22-03-2013, 07:04 AM
I have had various 410's from the full fat 2010 to the V3 and this car is so easy to drive in comparisson as well as not being as brittle, as yet no breakages and the car definately hasn't stayed on it's wheels all the time!
Superb bit of kit.
AfroP
22-03-2013, 08:40 AM
The XB4 is my first 4wd car and right out the box it has everything you need.
as you can imagine I spend a lot of time on my roof and so far so good not even a scratch on it.
The manual and the upgrade kit that you get with the car are excellent, the manual gives you good tips on strengthening the car such as sanding and glue'ing the shock towers and the upgrade kit provides a front and rear alloy shock tower protector.
The composite material used on the car seems to be a very strong material and the front and rear arms on the car look as chunky as those from an 8th scale
TARTMAN
22-03-2013, 11:43 AM
I think the XB4 is great. easy clean build. handles great. wonderful quality.
Yes i have had a little leakage on the shocks. just a little, but there is an O ring set out soon that should cure this problem.
Not checked my diffs yet, so dont know if they leak.
Breakages. well.................... Nothing. 3 meetings, some crashes etc. Nothing broken. My K1 broke a rear wishbone and stripped a spur gear within 2 meetings, so, at the moment i would say the Xray is pretty tough........
I love it. as mentioned, easy to drive and maintanance looks simple to.
Get one!!!!:woot:
neallewis
22-03-2013, 01:24 PM
Yes i have had a little leakage on the shocks. just a little, but there is an O ring set out soon that should cure this problem.
I got these: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/METRIC-NITRILE-RUBBER-O-RINGS-CROSS-SECTION-1MM-VARIOUS-SIZES-AVAILABLE-/221096113455?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&var=&hash=item337a5af52f
12mm ID, 1mm c/s o-rings. They fit perfectly and seal the shocks.
pack of 10 was £1.89 delivered.
AfroP
22-03-2013, 01:39 PM
I got these: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/METRIC-NITRILE-RUBBER-O-RINGS-CROSS-SECTION-1MM-VARIOUS-SIZES-AVAILABLE-/221096113455?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&var=&hash=item337a5af52f
12mm ID, 1mm c/s o-rings. They fit perfectly and seal the shocks.
pack of 10 was £1.89 delivered.
very good shout that!
much cheaper than the alloy shock tops
birdy
22-03-2013, 02:28 PM
i've used Team Durango O-rings and they fit good
http://www.jemodels.com/fixings?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=10040&category_id=1318
neallewis
22-03-2013, 03:10 PM
yup, to the durangos, but they are slightly thicker, the 1mm orings fit better i think.
Far more economical than the ali shock caps... £50+ for 4 shock caps.. no thanks, i'll stick to the plastic ones and the o-rings.
AfroP
22-03-2013, 04:54 PM
yup, to the durangos, but they are slightly thicker, the 1mm orings fit better i think.
Far more economical than the ali shock caps... £50+ for 4 shock caps.. no thanks, i'll stick to the plastic ones and the o-rings.
wish you'd posted this sooner...
i got the alloy caps lol
but the do make the car look better
TARTMAN
22-03-2013, 08:55 PM
wish you'd posted this sooner...
i got the alloy caps lol
but the do make the car look better
they doo look nice and i would say alot stronger should the crash angle be a shock breaker....
I will order some of the above cheers muchly for the link.
:woot:
TARTMAN
22-03-2013, 08:58 PM
just ordered them, bargain. got a few extras. I like spares and have 2 xb4's so need a few lol...........
I got these: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/METRIC-NITRILE-RUBBER-O-RINGS-CROSS-SECTION-1MM-VARIOUS-SIZES-AVAILABLE-/221096113455?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&var=&hash=item337a5af52f
12mm ID, 1mm c/s o-rings. They fit perfectly and seal the shocks.
pack of 10 was £1.89 delivered.
Nice one Neal,just placed an order :thumbsup:
hotrodchris
23-03-2013, 07:25 AM
They might run out soon as ordered a few myself last night although not had an issue with my shocks yet.Thanks for the link:thumbsup:
vBulletin® v3.8.7, Copyright ©2000-2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.