PDA

View Full Version : AYK Radiant


Naushad
20-02-2013, 10:06 PM
I only came across AYK recently and understood they had quite an illustrious history - especially in 1/12.

The radiant is a gorgeous off road to look at - especially under the hood. The body shell is quite unique aswell. I picked up this car on ebay and it wasn't what you see now...the shell was battered, tyres muddy and rims needed replacing. Though having said this, the car did sustain much damage. It's taken me sometime to source parts, but I'm happy with the end result.

Ready for the build. The car was completely stripped, cleaned with simple green and lubed with gt85. 90% screws replaced with steel hex heads.

http://i1232.photobucket.com/albums/ff378/naushadaj/5298A53A-9653-4752-B7EE-B08DC82F7032-634-0000006576598EBC_zps77e59600.jpg

Most of chassis completed at this point. This is the underside.

http://i1232.photobucket.com/albums/ff378/naushadaj/C1E9BB14-2759-4CD9-B6D5-5F6C64FC9C69-634-00000065A028DF2F_zps00346bb5.jpg

Front rims with one way bearing. The front axles that I used were also designed for the front one-way wheels. I think this was a stock option on the radiant pro.

http://i1232.photobucket.com/albums/ff378/naushadaj/26435E3B-E1CB-4BDE-A20D-9815967C3289-634-00000065BE41C253_zpse7454116.jpg

All the electrics are there...just need to be connected. The steering crank is not the stock type.

http://i1232.photobucket.com/albums/ff378/naushadaj/755B9938-E06B-4B11-B83B-4027834A141C-634-0000006525DBAD4E_zps8eeed843.jpg

The rear motor mount was worn with lots of scratches, but I arranged to get it reanodised. The cover on the rear end is not a stock part, but just placed to reduced the chances of debris getting into the transmission. Just need to find that rare intact front bumper!

http://i1232.photobucket.com/albums/ff378/naushadaj/76DE20F2-7799-44B3-85B0-D9B47CB7F05A-634-000000653E23E6F1_zpsc9c5c393.jpg

http://i1232.photobucket.com/albums/ff378/naushadaj/62702D9E-D6DA-4EE3-8D6A-BC6112177E8A-634-0000006544DDC12B_zps610e9d5d.jpg

DanB4
21-02-2013, 04:15 AM
Looks great Naushad!

ralphee
22-02-2013, 06:40 PM
Always has a soft spot for this car, id love one, but the prices are a bit silly, as id want to run it, and £400 for a runner that is a pig to source parts for, meh lol.
This is a killer example Naushad......i have to agree, that shell oozes vintage class........just like road cars of old, buggies back then had character, these days, there just ugly lumps IMO.

lee

sheriff
22-02-2013, 08:04 PM
That's a peach Naushad, and loving the paint scheme on the shell.

Always think it looks like a cross between a Bigwig and Mini Mustang shell, you may disagree!

Those gold wheels are ace, and unlike the vintage Supershot wheels, the gold doesn't seem to flake off.

Naushad
25-02-2013, 07:47 AM
Yeah I like the car a lot...will be nice to drive it a bit too.

I don't have any experience with the pb mustang but I can see
the resemblance with Tamiya's Bigwig.

http://www.leboncoin.fr/sports_hobbies/435117567.htm?ca=7_s

This is a nice model...going for a good price too!!

sheriff
26-02-2013, 05:46 PM
Yeah I like the car a lot...will be nice to drive it a bit too.

I don't have any experience with the pb mustang but I can see
the resemblance with Tamiya's Bigwig.

http://www.leboncoin.fr/sports_hobbies/435117567.htm?ca=7_s

This is a nice model...going for a good price too!!

How the heck did you manage to find that advert??!!

That is nice, you're not wrong.

Naushad
26-02-2013, 05:57 PM
I can write reasonably in French...so i do buy things from there!

Best to spread the net wide!

nivek
26-02-2013, 06:44 PM
The only problem i found with mine [ still have it up in the loft with box and instructions ] was the chain drive .

Naushad
26-02-2013, 06:50 PM
Hmm...I haven't run it yet but these chains are prone to skip from what I have been told...also the shocks do leak on occasion.

nivek
26-02-2013, 06:52 PM
The only problem i found with mine [ still have it up in the loft with box and instructions ] was the chain drive .
Purchased mine from Otley modelsport ,the choice was cat / mid or radiant .

Naushad
26-02-2013, 06:55 PM
It would be nice to see it when you have a chance!