PDA

View Full Version : suitable mate - nikko brat UPworks build ( finished 8/9/13)


Naushad
21-02-2013, 01:45 PM
Any lonely singles out there by the name of number two?

I'd love to meet up for some chit chat an maybe more?!

http://i1232.photobucket.com/albums/ff378/naushadaj/0898DC13-443E-404C-A445-7ADB0FDAD1CD-184-00000009DE6E9A5D_zps3a03c5a2.jpg

:p

lllyf
22-02-2013, 03:35 PM
that is really gold indeed,product 2 is very very rare.the box little thiner the product 1.but I saw you hhave the manual, it only included in Pro 2

Naushad
25-02-2013, 07:44 AM
Thanks yun fei.

If you know where I could find a part 2 kit, do let me know!

Naushad
22-06-2013, 06:41 PM
Got some custom Brat undertrays from Steve Haskins of Penguin...fit greats. Not tight with appropriate clearance.

A rebuild of this car will follow...

http://i1232.photobucket.com/albums/ff378/naushadaj/FFF2D802-9EB2-41CD-82F6-9BDA13C15B37-322-000000474172C4F6_zps20386987.jpg (http://s1232.photobucket.com/user/naushadaj/media/FFF2D802-9EB2-41CD-82F6-9BDA13C15B37-322-000000474172C4F6_zps20386987.jpg.html)

BORMAC
23-06-2013, 08:22 AM
Finding a complete Brat is indeed elusive. I was very lucky to have happened across the kits and nip parts that I did some years ago. I ended up building a Brat from a nib Super Sprint and the #1 upworks kit.
It didn't take too long before I was inspired enough to set this car down on a race track and I was glad to experience such an iconic model from Nikko.
I also had a good friend make me a lexan undertray and it helped quite a bit with keeping debris out and protecting the underside of the car. What I found was the gearbox to run through more gears than I would have liked. I never did investigate the roll out/gear ratio but for me it seemed more than a little off for the standard motor that came with that kit, almost as though it slowed the car down too much (just MHO).
The diff outdrives are very soft and before long I found excessive wear from the dog bone end of the uni's I was using. The plastic suspension components were also like this and carried heavier wear than I would have thought. Just a few small areas that I thought might need addressing if you intend to run/race this car.

At the end of the day I really liked this car and still do. It looks really cool and the fact Nikko had a good lash at the racing market back then says a lot.

Please keep the pics coming. Thank you for sharing this build with the rest of us.
Cheers-Jason

Naushad
23-06-2013, 10:39 AM
Hey Jason,

Thank you for your useful comments...I don't intend to run this heavily but it's useful to know about the wear issues.

I still need one gold CVD to complete my kit...like you've mentioned to me before, it's hard to find!

Naushad

BORMAC
25-06-2013, 02:02 AM
Yeah the parts are hard to find unless you happen across someone that has collected a few.
I still remember coming across pics of the Nikko Brat in our local rc magazine from the 89 worlds held at St Ives/Sydney. I could hardly believe the fact that Nikko actually had a performance type off roader for 1/10th competition. That alone spurred my interest and to this day is still a great find.
I wish you well with your build.

Naushad
21-08-2013, 08:44 PM
Right....time to finish what I started here.

http://i1232.photobucket.com/albums/ff378/naushadaj/9906A9D1-DC88-460B-9158-44C1FB195D5E-1481-000000EC73060239_zps11a301a7.jpg

Expect to put more decoration on the body later - after it's trimmed down a little.

http://i1232.photobucket.com/albums/ff378/naushadaj/B1A26EDA-3531-4655-9598-14D452212B2F-1481-000000EC836D5DA3_zps19cc00aa.jpg

Interesting manual...looks quite straightforward and to-the-point. We will see!

http://i1232.photobucket.com/albums/ff378/naushadaj/F3A5590B-7C10-40DA-B735-29092BE2CE61-1481-000000EC8FDA8A67_zps7ca136d0.jpg

http://i1232.photobucket.com/albums/ff378/naushadaj/093057A5-D0FA-44E8-B20A-631B738F8899-1481-000000EC9AEE8F21_zpsd368780d.jpg

Naushad
04-09-2013, 12:22 PM
Got moving on the build this week..

Chassis parts fixed up

http://i1232.photobucket.com/albums/ff378/naushadaj/null_zps45953b73.jpg

Rear gearbox...quite a complicated setup here with many cogs. Applies lots of diff grease to keep them healthy.

http://i1232.photobucket.com/albums/ff378/naushadaj/null_zps406f4629.jpg

http://i1232.photobucket.com/albums/ff378/naushadaj/null_zps189e1dde.jpg

Front diff...no clear instructions on how to put this together.
It's similar to the super sprint front diff though. Having those instructions was handy!

http://i1232.photobucket.com/albums/ff378/naushadaj/null_zps9ea842c5.jpg

Applied mid section which is a little flimsy - I guess to give some
flex? Also bolted the rear shock tower and gearbox braces.

http://i1232.photobucket.com/albums/ff378/naushadaj/null_zpsde92660e.jpg

http://i1232.photobucket.com/albums/ff378/naushadaj/null_zps10a7b6b7.jpg

Placing the front diff and gearbox is a little fiddly aswell...reminds
me of the lazer and mids I've put together. Steering crank in place too...

http://i1232.photobucket.com/albums/ff378/naushadaj/null_zps9e258357.jpg

Torque rods.

http://i1232.photobucket.com/albums/ff378/naushadaj/null_zps49d5685c.jpg

Naushad
08-09-2013, 10:37 PM
Hey!

Finally finished!

Off body shot before electrics.

http://i1232.photobucket.com/albums/ff378/naushadaj/null_zps2c578a34.jpg

Thanks to a member on rc10talk I bagged this new speedo..ideal for the brats dimensions

http://i1232.photobucket.com/albums/ff378/naushadaj/null_zpsbdf35aaa.jpg

http://i1232.photobucket.com/albums/ff378/naushadaj/null_zps82b08ad7.jpg

Receiver...

http://i1232.photobucket.com/albums/ff378/naushadaj/null_zps79a1f208.jpg

Off body with all electrics..

http://i1232.photobucket.com/albums/ff378/naushadaj/null_zps7853791a.jpg

Close up

http://i1232.photobucket.com/albums/ff378/naushadaj/null_zps8709d11a.jpg

http://i1232.photobucket.com/albums/ff378/naushadaj/null_zps65d22485.jpg

Welshy40
09-09-2013, 05:26 AM
Superb

DanB4
09-09-2013, 07:25 AM
Superb x 2 :)

optiman
22-11-2013, 02:10 PM
Hey Naushad, look what I just found... #2!!!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Nikko-BRAT-1-10-4WD-electrical-Up-works-racing-buggy-/261334604026?pt=Radio_Control_Vehicles&hash=item3cd8c198fa

Naushad
22-11-2013, 08:00 PM
Bit pricey methinks...

Someone will want it though...not at that price