PDA

View Full Version : B44.1 handling advice


richie.
21-02-2013, 09:16 PM
So I've raced my 2nd hand 44 for the first time on monday, polished wooden gym floor and the back end is all over (my driving has much to do with this:lol:). I have old schumacher full spikes that are lets say from the 90's and without foams. However I have ordered new full spike yellows and tubby medium foams so this shall be corrected soon. Are there any setup tricks to stop the back from being tail happy? I did slacken off the rear diff on advice of a member which did make an improvement although this has made me wonder if there is more to be done before my next race meet?

and before I forget I'm running silver front and green rear springs

cheers Rich.

hit5005
21-02-2013, 10:32 PM
Get ur self 1 Degree rear hubs that will help leaps and bounds and get a good set up off the set up section on her hope this helps

Richard Lowe
22-02-2013, 12:04 AM
Any chance of posting a setup and/or some pictures of your car? The 44.1 is generally fairly neutral verging on understeer, we need more details ;)

Steven Forster
22-02-2013, 12:47 AM
So I've raced my 2nd hand 44 for the first time on monday, polished wooden gym floor and the back end is all over (my driving has much to do with this:lol:). I have old schumacher full spikes that are lets say from the 90's and without foams. However I have ordered new full spike yellows and tubby medium foams so this shall be corrected soon. Are there any setup tricks to stop the back from being tail happy? I did slacken off the rear diff on advice of a member which did make an improvement although this has made me wonder if there is more to be done before my next race meet?

and before I forget I'm running silver front and green rear springs

cheers Rich.

Handling can be funny at times running at tyne met depending on whether the floor is being cleaned properly and also down to the hall temperature.

I used to move the rear shocks outwards on the wishbone on my B44

Danny Harrison
22-02-2013, 07:08 PM
So I've raced my 2nd hand 44 for the first time on monday, polished wooden gym floor and the back end is all over (my driving has much to do with this:lol:). I have old schumacher full spikes that are lets say from the 90's and without foams. However I have ordered new full spike yellows and tubby medium foams so this shall be corrected soon. Are there any setup tricks to stop the back from being tail happy? I did slacken off the rear diff on advice of a member which did make an improvement although this has made me wonder if there is more to be done before my next race meet?

and before I forget I'm running silver front and green rear springs

cheers Rich.

I had this the other week. Turned out my rear tyres were just old and the rubber slighlty off. Put some other tyres on and it was spot on.

I'm pretty sure it's just old tyres in your case too :)

richie.
22-02-2013, 08:57 PM
Thanks for the replies, I've just spent ten minutes with all the kitchen lights on and white a4 paper as background but this damn iPhone won't pick up on the cars detail unless I take a pic of each component separately! I'm pleased you say this about the tyres and on close inspection the rears do seem hard and the fronts reasonably subtle so alarm bells are ringing....

Further info setup wise

Shock oil unknown
Ride height front and rear 20mm
No front anti roll bar
Front and rear shocks inside shock tower outside wishbone

Steven Forster
23-02-2013, 12:24 AM
Thanks for the replies, I've just spent ten minutes with all the kitchen lights on and white a4 paper as background but this damn iPhone won't pick up on the cars detail unless I take a pic of each component separately! I'm pleased you say this about the tyres and on close inspection the rears do seem hard and the fronts reasonably subtle so alarm bells are ringing....

Further info setup wise

Shock oil unknown
Ride height front and rear 20mm
No front anti roll bar
Front and rear shocks inside shock tower outside wishbone

Should get yourself to Seaham this sunday, there will be plenty of people to ask for help and advice :thumbsup:

richie.
23-02-2013, 02:36 PM
Should get yourself to Seaham this sunday, there will be plenty of people to ask for help and advice :thumbsup:

I do plan to come down in the near future once I have my kit sorted as I really need another set of wheels and mini pins for the seaham track so watch this space;) The car is paul corky johnsons old car so it will be good to take it round its old haunt lol! on the upside my new full spikes inserts and tyre glue have just arrived so I'll post up the results of these on tuesday

Steven Forster
23-02-2013, 04:30 PM
I do plan to come down in the near future once I have my kit sorted as I really need another set of wheels and mini pins for the seaham track so watch this space;) The car is paul corky johnsons old car so it will be good to take it round its old haunt lol! on the upside my new full spikes inserts and tyre glue have just arrived so I'll post up the results of these on tuesday

Ive got some yellow mini pins you can use if we are rusing 3 rolls of carpet again if not ive got some yellow mini spikes you can use.........first time racing is free ;)

richie.
25-02-2013, 11:34 PM
I had this the other week. Turned out my rear tyres were just old and the rubber slighlty off. Put some other tyres on and it was spot on.

I'm pretty sure it's just old tyres in your case too :)




So the tyres made an enormous difference! didnt improve my skills but it handled so well in comparison! thanks to all for the comments:thumbsup: