PDA

View Full Version : Hotshot 2 Help


Tobamory
22-02-2013, 11:12 AM
Guys im about to embark on adding the following to a new acquired Hotshot 2

Radio gear
Steering servo
Motor
ESC
Battery

Ive been asking a few model shops about what I should get and im hearing differing views on motors batteries etc. so some questions I have

1. Is it a fact I need to stick with a brushed motor 17T 19T around that so it wont destroy the gearbox ? If I can use a brushless which model would you get ?
2. I presume I need to use NMIH battery but ive also been told if I use a LIPO 7.4 4000mah I will be ok, anybody any views ?.
3. Im old school and want sticks what should I get Spectrum d6 or Etronix ?
4. Any advice on a servo for steering or will any be ok, was thinkin steel gears and bearings.

I did race the Hotshot in the 80s so have a view on what you used then, but id like a longer runtime so how would I get that I presume Lipo is the only way ?

bare in Mind I will be buying a K1 or Xray later so anything above I can re-use then cool

thanks guys

Rob

Pacman
22-02-2013, 12:17 PM
With most tamiya stuff I use round case lipo's.

http://compare.ebay.co.uk/like/121047623980?var=lv&ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&var=sbar&adtype=pla&crdt=0

Make sure you check the geometry of the Lipo before buying. For modern 4wd buggies you are more likely to need saddle packs.

For the servo generally make sure the stall torque is high enough. I'm currently using an Alturn for racing in a modern buggy which has a min stall torque of 7.6kg/cm and have no problems:

http://www.modelsport.co.uk/alturn-usa-high-performance-race-servo-high-speed-/rc-car-products/359785

Whether or not you need metal gears depends on your probability of hitting things at speed. Are you likely to take that kind of risk with an old Hot Shot 2?

JohnM
22-02-2013, 02:48 PM
1. Is it a fact I need to stick with a brushed motor 17T 19T around that so it wont destroy the gearbox ?

Rob

I've run an old LRP X11 7.5 brushless motor in mine on a grass track without any problems.

The X11s, probably aren't quite as powerful as a more modern 7.5, so 8.5-9.5 should be ok.

Tobamory
22-02-2013, 05:14 PM
Thanks guys I'm gonna post a few items if you would be so kind as to check them for me I would be grateful

Think I,ll stick with brushed motor for now, and blow a few quid on brushless when I move to the K1

Just gonna grab some tea I can hear the fish wife calling

Tobamory
26-02-2013, 09:48 PM
Do I need to fit the Hotshot capacitors/heatsinks, that they used to have at the back ?

Ive just bought a mint 2nd hand one but these are not on it ?

or will it be ok without ?

thanks

Naushad
26-02-2013, 10:06 PM
Probably not if it hasn't got a mechanical speed controller.

If you are using a more modern setup up (brushed / brushless esc) then you don't need it.

Tobamory
27-02-2013, 08:04 AM
Thanks