View Full Version : what awg cable will do?
dbvanzuk
25-02-2013, 06:17 PM
I've just got a turnigy trackstar 150a esc secondhand but it needs new cable which is 10awg already on it but I have plenty of 12awg so was wondering if anyone knows if I use it what will happen ie the cables over heat? loss of porformance? or damage the esc? any help would be appreciated thanks
AJ Roberts
06-03-2013, 02:15 PM
I use 12awg for my installs and never had an issue
mattr
06-03-2013, 02:39 PM
What you going to put it in?
It's an 1/8th scale speedo isn't it? 12AWG *might* be a bit thin in a big chunky 1/8th with a monster motor asking for stacks of current.
If it's going into a 1/10 truggy or something, 12AWG should be OK.
Lee24h
06-03-2013, 09:08 PM
12 awg will be ok its 14 awg that will start problems
jasonwipf
09-03-2013, 06:07 PM
12 awg will be ok its 14 awg that will start problems
Very true, 14 awg will get warm and its even worse at the plug sites where you may see melting going. But 12g is perfectly fine. Remember most of our appliances run on 12, 14, sometimes even 16g and we have twice the watts going thru them. Make sure you have a good plug and quality soder job is all I'll emphasis.
vBulletin® v3.8.7, Copyright ©2000-2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.