PDA

View Full Version : Which b44 shock shafts?


richie.
25-02-2013, 11:38 PM
I need a new shock shaft and Ive been told to go for silver shafts instead of the standard FT gold shafts as they are more durable. Can anyone tell me which shafts I need to buy please?

Rich.

Col
26-02-2013, 01:36 AM
Whilst everything you've heard is true, it's also currently wrong!
The fragile gold shock shafts were an extremely large bad batch. I believe that most of them have now been broken and replaced, so the problem isn't there anymore (I've not broken one in nearly a year and my driving has been on a pretty constant level)
Buy whichever suits your budget best would be my advise.

richie.
26-02-2013, 07:54 AM
Whilst everything you've heard is true, it's also currently wrong!
The fragile gold shock shafts were an extremely large bad batch. I believe that most of them have now been broken and replaced, so the problem isn't there anymore (I've not broken one in nearly a year and my driving has been on a pretty constant level)
Buy whichever suits your budget best would be my advise.

I was under the impression the silver shafts were cheaper however I can't seem to find them anywhere, Any ideas? And do they come as pairs or single units?

Col
26-02-2013, 09:50 AM
Don't know pal, I've only ever used the gold ones. They (the gold ones) can be bought as single units.
I don't have the car or it's spares handy to have a look for the part number I'm afraid

Col
26-02-2013, 09:53 AM
Quick online search shows AS9723 Gold 0.80 front shock shaft (B44) £5.89 at DMS. (other great shops are available)

MiCk B.
26-02-2013, 10:36 AM
From what I remember. AE are only making the gold shafts now.
Other possible option would be the RTR shafts, but I think they are only 0.71", the B44 range is 0.80" shafts.

MiCk B. :-)

Bugle
27-02-2013, 02:28 PM
The 0.80" shafts were only ever used on the B44 FT and never made in silver (stainless steel). I did make some SS 0.80" shafts once which were much more durable.

If it was a bad batch and they have actually fixed it you'd be able to tell if it's a good one by the machining where the smooth part of the shaft meets the thread.
Should be machined like this with a curved section between the shaft and the thread. The product photos here illustrate it well enough.
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LX2598&P=7

Not like this
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXSZC1&P=7