View Full Version : Hobbyking motor lipo and esc, any good?
RichH
26-02-2013, 08:01 AM
Hi
I'm returning after some time away and the world has changed a little!
I'm looking at cheap lipo, brushless, esc combos and hobbyking looks good value on the face of it, (I am looking at the UK warehouse). How's this stuff rated? I'm not looking for top end stuff, its for bashing initially and hopefully a return to club racing but don't want to waste money on unreliable kit
Cheers
Rich
mattr
26-02-2013, 09:39 AM
Generally speaking, yes its good.
Post up which particular items you are looking at, and someone should be able to give you some more detail.
acorn28
26-02-2013, 10:59 AM
I used a Hobbyking brushless system when I got back to racing, no complaints, good price, couldn't fault it. I've used the Turnigy Nanotec lipos as well, again great stuff.
Origineelreclamebord
26-02-2013, 11:22 AM
Turnigy Nano-Tech batteries seem to work well in general. It does seem that their life span is a bit shorter on average than A-brand batteries, but some people stretch them to the limit that's on paper. If you charge them at 1C and don't run very near the discharge limit of the battery they should do very well :)
As for the brushless sets... watch out carefully which ones you're buying. For example I heard the HobbyKing TrackStar has a flawed throttle curve (it's like all or nothing).
The set I use form HobbyKing is the X-Car 100A ESC+6.5T (5200kV) motor. I heard some are having problems with an inconsistent brake, but apparently turning down the EPA on your transmitter to 90-95% in both throttle and brake direction does the trick. I have not had these problems, for me it has worked flawlessly so far :thumbsup: I received my second (exact same set) one week ago and I'll try that one soon too.
I have my fingers crossed everything keeps working well, as whatever I buy on the front of electronics (phones, laptops, ESCs, A-brand+high end product or the cheapest of stuff) I always seem to have problems. One of the few bug-free-ish electronics I've owned so far are my trusty 2005-ish Nokia 1101 (still in use today, though it's starting to show problems lately) and surprisingly, that HobbyKing ESC I just mentioned! :confused:
RogerM
26-02-2013, 12:47 PM
Just make sure that you check that the clubs / events you want to run out don't require you to stay within the bounds of the Electric Board homologation lists as their units aren't on there.
TBH most clubs are fairly easy going but several regions do use the lists for their events.
RichH
26-02-2013, 01:47 PM
Thanks guys, appreciate the comments as things have moved on so much. I was thinking of these but welcome any specific advice on alternatives:
Motor
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__23360__Turnigy_TrackStar_8_5T_Sensored_Brushless _Motor_3983KV.html
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__21959__Turnigy_TrackStar_8_5T_Sensored_Brushless _Motor_4620KV.html
ESC
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__14634__Turnigy_TrackStar_1_10th_Scale_60A_Car_ES C_Version_2.html
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__13445__HobbyKing_Brushless_Car_ESC_45A_w_Reverse .html
LIPO
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__17268__Turnigy_nano_tech_5600mah_2S2P_50_100C_Ha rdcase_Lipo_Pack_ROAR_APPROVED_.html
Where can I find out what's approved/not?
Cheers
Rich
mattr
26-02-2013, 01:52 PM
I've had both of those motors, no issues at all. The battery is also one i've used versions of (shorties and saddles) all with no issue.
Think the approval list is buried somewhere in the BRCA website.
vBulletin® v3.8.7, Copyright ©2000-2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.