PDA

View Full Version : Low C rating Lipo


DaveG28
26-02-2013, 05:03 PM
If I try to run a low C lipo (say a 4500 25C) in a 4wd buggy what impact am I likely to see?

Basically will it just lack some punch... Or am I also at risk of puffing it from pulling too much current?

Dave

Col
26-02-2013, 08:30 PM
It can't pull too much current, it can only pull as much as the lipo can supply.
I regularly used to run a trakpower gold stick that was 4100mah 25c in a laser/sphere TC2007/x11 without any problems. It wasn't as fast as my current 10.5 though...

Benh
26-02-2013, 10:20 PM
If I try to run a low C lipo (say a 4500 25C) in a 4wd buggy what impact am I likely to see?

Basically will it just lack some punch... Or am I also at risk of puffing it from pulling too much current?

Dave

With low C rated cell, and running 2.4 radio gear, you can experience voltage drops that can put a receiver into safe mode, or in some cases un-bind. Preventable with a power cap.

peetbee
26-02-2013, 10:32 PM
When I had the old Orion 15C cells I noticed what BenH says, but not often, mainly lacked punch compared to other cells. Ran them for a year with no damage to the cells

chet
27-02-2013, 12:06 AM
What motor are you running in your 4wd? What I have found with lower C batteries. The power band isn't as good more spiky. I still have lower C packs I just use them for practice.

DaveG28
27-02-2013, 12:44 AM
What motor are you running in your 4wd? What I have found with lower C batteries. The power band isn't as good more spiky. I still have lower C packs I just use them for practice.

It's basically for a backup pack. I am running a 7.5 viper motor!

adon30
27-02-2013, 07:13 AM
I think my lowest c pack are 25 or 30c (you sold me them lol). They do have slightly less punch but time difference is not noticeable. In slippery conditions the softer approach actually improved things. Although you can now tune things on modern escs to suit anyway and this would be your limiting factor.
You may experience 'brown out' (this is not when your car does something unexpected and your pants change colour) if you are running low capacity, low c cells towards the end of a session and the cell voltage dips below your Esc threshold. However I've never experienced it or heard of it happening lately.

The gens ace saddles are rated at 25c (4800mah) but from what I've heard/ read/ seen they are probably more like 45/50c anyway. And a lot of companies c ratings are not comparative anyway.

DaveG28
01-03-2013, 03:10 AM
Yeah I'm looking at the Reedy Wolfpack saddle...It's total discharge rate is very close to the speed passion 4200 30C cells that lots of people used to run, can't think of any reason these woildn't do the trick? They are 4800 25C.