PDA

View Full Version : Orion and tekin motors,


Tobamory
06-03-2013, 09:40 PM
Guys as your aware I've been hoovering up eBay for motors and managed to get 2 speed passions, but one is a 4.5 so no good for a buggy, other than messing in the street.

I was going to try match up my orion speed controllers with an orion motor, but I do see that these babies are 90 quid

I see also another at 50 quid the 90 is a vortex vst

Can anybody explain what the differences are, and would I benefit from matching the motor to the ESC,

I know a few of you run thunder power so I'm eyei one of them also, but wanted to ask that orion questions before I spend my cash

Thanks

Zippy G
06-03-2013, 09:59 PM
Hi, I was asking the same question this morning to JE Models, spoke to Nick Caro, apparently the only difference is the age, the £90 ones are the latest version but are very soon to be superseeded by the V2, the pro stock and the pro race are just the older versions. Nick could not tell me any differences apart from the £90 one has more timing adjustment than the others. If you are after motors I will be selling my fleet of speed passions as I am moving to a different motor. I will have 6.5, 10.5, 13.5, 17.5 for sale. Will be at Silverstone this week or you can contact me on 07774472531. Sam

Tobamory
06-03-2013, 10:47 PM
I've just read that the inside is a stronger magnet and larger, but that's all

Pm me what you'd like for the 6.5
Thanks

What you moving to Sam, orion?

They seem to run cooler that some of the others so I'm reading anyway. Maybe a good thing.

Just a bit pricey at 90

neallewis
07-03-2013, 02:25 AM
Tekin redline Gen 2 motors have a 13mm rotor (Gen1 was 12.5mm) , more on-can timing adjustment, better cooling, better magnets, higher Kv rating for same wind, etc. I run both gen1 and gen2 motors and the gen2 are better for sure. Both are not cheap, but I feel offer significant performance advantage over lesser speced motors with the "same wind".
The Gen2 have not yet made it to the BRCA approved lists, although they are ROAR approved in the USA, its just a matter of timing. Not an issue for club racing.

Others to look at however are Thunder Power, Dynamyte, Reedy, LRP X20 and Vampire, all stocked by MB Models locally.