PDA

View Full Version : Drag Brake and advice


Tobamory
08-03-2013, 10:24 AM
Just been messing with the Orion ESCs very nice remapping options although ive no idea what any do. But over the coming Months im sure i,ll get advice fromy you guys and tweak away

a few questions really.

Any disadvantages with running reverse ? other than saving the marshalls legs, i know it may not be allowed in championships, but any detremental effect on the car or speed, or is it just an option you turn on and off ?

Drag Brake

Any of you run this, im presuming its like auto brake, come off the throttle car will auto slowdown depending on what force youve chosen ?

any other must turn ons, at present ive only added reverse and left the rest stock till i learn whats what

one last one, whats the setting that you choose to allow a greater control of acceleration make it more progressive, but a quick jab of the throttle gives you it all ?

Danny Harrison
08-03-2013, 11:17 AM
Just been messing with the Orion ESCs very nice remapping options although ive no idea what any do. But over the coming Months im sure i,ll get advice fromy you guys and tweak away

a few questions really.

Any disadvantages with running reverse ? other than saving the marshalls legs, i know it may not be allowed in championships, but any detremental effect on the car or speed, or is it just an option you turn on and off ?

Drag Brake

Any of you run this, im presuming its like auto brake, come off the throttle car will auto slowdown depending on what force youve chosen ?

any other must turn ons, at present ive only added reverse and left the rest stock till i learn whats what

one last one, whats the setting that you choose to allow a greater control of acceleration make it more progressive, but a quick jab of the throttle gives you it all ?

Some frown at reverse. I have it but only use it if I can without reversing into another car safely. Usually marshaling is just as quick. It doesnt slow car down and there is also a delay before it works. Couple seconds on mine.

Some use drag brake, but usually a very small amount. I found it makes the car nose dive off the jumps, I tend to just dab the brakes now if I need to drop any speed.

The setting I think you mean is exponential throttle curve. Which can be set to give more low end throttle control (Curve gets steeper) Or more top end contol (curve is other way) with a punchier bottom.

Again its personal preferance. I really like throttle expo myself, especially on slower twisty/slippy tracks. I use between 35% and 55% depending on grip levels. You still get max throttle at full throttle.

You really need to get on a track before you play with expo's though to see what feels right for you.

mattr
08-03-2013, 12:54 PM
You really need to get on a track before you play with expo's though to see what feels right for you.Same with drag brake really, think i've settled on 5% on my ESC, so barely any.

Tobamory
08-03-2013, 01:38 PM
agree on getting to track Hopefully will be there 24th.

Ive setup 3 skews anyway to mess with

Orion Stock
some work champ Guys
and Robs Reverse

thanks for explaining reverse i thought mine was shafted, pausing all the time but i suppose its protecting the motor.

Not like old school where u just jammed it in :)

Hope wifes not mad when she gets in, ive been donutting in the kitchen and the wood floor looks like some stolen youths have been on it in a stolen car

too busy to wipe it ( honest )

Danny Harrison
08-03-2013, 01:51 PM
agree on getting to track Hopefully will be there 24th.

Ive setup 3 skews anyway to mess with

Orion Stock
some work champ Guys
and Robs Reverse

thanks for explaining reverse i thought mine was shafted, pausing all the time but i suppose its protecting the motor.

Not like old school where u just jammed it in :)

Hope wifes not mad when she gets in, ive been donutting in the kitchen and the wood floor looks like some stolen youths have been on it in a stolen car

too busy to wipe it ( honest )

Yep with reverse. |On mine if I hit reverse too early I have to wait another 2 seconds each time. That can get frustrating too lol.

charlie2
08-03-2013, 05:12 PM
I run some drag brake as i am used to brushed motors which do kind of brake when in neutral.i dont have reverse function set of mine as i struggle driving forward never mind backwards.

Aire valley
08-03-2013, 07:47 PM
I agree with Charlie.....brushed motors did have a bit of drag in neutral whereas brushless run very free..... so I use a touch of drag indoors....too much and you can spin out on corners..... And rather more drag outdoors..