View Full Version : Vampire SR1 - The Future of ESC's?
andys
09-03-2013, 08:17 PM
Interested to see what people make of the Vampire ESC's advanced features......
So, looking around at Speedo's - having tried many and melting my brain with the crazy options available regarding 'timing', 'boost' and 'turbo' etc, and having recently bought a Renventon Pro with 'Hybid Boost' as my latest speedo, i'm not entirely convinced.
It's all complicated, and yet another thing that I need to set correctly to get the best out of it at each track.
Then - it was brought to my attention that the Vampire speedos do all this for you, no crazy settings, the speedo just works it all out for optimum performance!
Quote from Jimmy's news page - "The SR1 Series both use Vampire Racing exclusive “PTS – Power Timing System”, providing a distinct advantage over most other brushless systems. Designed as an adaptive system which continually calculates the ideal timing value gained from multiple parameters, resulting in a much improved feel for your car. This not only provides more performance, it especially means that it can handle the massive power of today’s brushless systems better than ever before…."
Link to news article : http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?t=84849&highlight=vampire
Having seen a 7.5 system run in a 4WD, it was an absolute missile, much quicker than one would expect of a 7.5, so maybe this is the way speedo's will go now - removing the 'user' from the equation and the speedo working out the optimum settings / timing etc based on these elusive 'multiple parameters'.
So - question is, is this 'distinct advantage' really fair play?
Also - looks like Vampire dropped the 'distinct advantage' text from many press releases....
If I were to buy a speedo, based on what I know and I have seen, it would be this one :)
What do other people think - is this tantamount to a driver aid I wonder, as electronics are stepping in and making changes throughout the race.
jimmy
09-03-2013, 08:24 PM
Sorry , just re read that. You were talking about my car after all. I just bought another :thumbsup:
andys
09-03-2013, 08:52 PM
Sorry , just re read that. You were talking about my car after all. I just bought another :thumbsup:
Indeed Jim - there were a couple of team drivers running them too and their cars looked nice and smooth in the infield - but plenty quick on the straights:)
You were just ballistic everywhere!
I'm kind of fed up with all the complicated ESC settings - and the Vampire stuff looks like a 'step change' in ESC technology - simple to use and optimum performance.
Seriously considering selling my gear and swooping, but I am interested to see what people think re the advantage this must give you?
When I explained it to one racing pal he was very surprised it was allowed....
neallewis
10-03-2013, 01:19 AM
I believe it's the same unit (internally and mostly externally) as the Yokomo BL-PRO2TW Turbo that Bally (MB) has just started doing: http://www.rccarshop.co.uk/index.php/electrics/speed-controllers/yokomo.html It's the same apart from a plastic moulded part of the case, everything else is the same, specs, leads, caps, even the box they come in. Software may be different though?
I've just picked one up for my GT12 car, which is great as it runs 1S lipo without a booster. I run it in blinky, so not played with the timing, but have been very impressed with it so far after my first meeting.
jameswilkinson7
10-03-2013, 07:47 AM
I've been running the sr1 in both my cars since they first came out. I moved on to them from speed passion, which I always rated as being nice an smooth. I was nervous of the change at first, but needn't have been, the vampire stuff is very smooth, and easy to set up. I've been very happy with mine.
andys
10-03-2013, 08:36 AM
Anyone else switched and rate the Vampire?
What are the available settings - and does the adaptive system give you the best of both worlds, smooth at slow speeds, and high top speeds?
Neal - I did wonder about the Yokomo ESC - not cheap though!
I wish Bally (MB) sold the Vampires now!
super__dan
10-03-2013, 08:42 AM
I don't think Vampire are doing anything fundamentally different to others, but they have done it really well. They're not measuring any external parameters more so than anyone else, throttle position and then the variables available from the sensor wire. The key is in the software and user interface.
I run a 7.5 in my 4wd (and an 8.5 in 2wd), commonly with up to maximum timing. This is because this allows for an extremely smooth bottom end but winding up to a great top end. The difference compared to the manufacturer I ran before and compared to some other manufacturers I've tried when trying others cars is that the software makes the transition completely smooth and linear and as a result it feels like you've motors that are like a 7.5, 7.6, 7.7 etc.
If you're at Batley today you're very welcome to have a go on my car.
andys
10-03-2013, 10:44 AM
Cheers Dan :)
Doing my mothers day duties today - so no racing :(
I recently bought Orion and Speedpassion ESC's, kind of wish I'd known then what I know now. The Orions are nice and smooth, but the Renvention is a bit much on the bottom end and the settings leave a lot to be desired IMO.
Think I'll give a Vampire a run outdoors, is there much between the 2 versions - and are they equally at home with motors from other manufacturers?
/tobys
10-03-2013, 11:24 AM
I've recently changed to Vampire Speedos and motors and I'm very impressed, fast and smooth - they have it all.
I came from Speed Passion speedos (GT2.0 and Reventon Pro) and Speed Passion and Reedy motors and can definitely say the Vampire stuff is a big improvement over what I have previously run.
jameswilkinson7
10-03-2013, 11:27 AM
Cheers Dan :)
Doing my mothers day duties today - so no racing :(
I recently bought Orion and Speedpassion ESC's, kind of wish I'd known then what I know now. The Orions are nice and smooth, but the Renvention is a bit much on the bottom end and the settings leave a lot to be desired IMO.
Think I'll give a Vampire a run outdoors, is there much between the 2 versions - and are they equally at home with motors from other manufacturers?
I've got the SR1 in my 2wd and the SR1+ in my 4wd. The SR1 comes without a fan and cant go as low motor turn wise... Its absolutely fine in 2wd though. I'm running an 8.5 2wd and 7.5 4wd and fairly low timing. Ill probably stick with these motors for outdoors and up the timing a little. As Dan says. even with the timing up at max it's still smooth around the infield, but a nutter down the straight!
OneKiwi
10-03-2013, 12:44 PM
Can you put a fan on the SR1?
Are you running VPR motors as well?
Wheres a good place to check pricing in the UK?
vrooom
10-03-2013, 01:15 PM
this sound too good.
badger5
10-03-2013, 01:57 PM
What settings can you change on the Vampire esc's? Punch, brake level etc?
jameswilkinson7
10-03-2013, 02:20 PM
Can you put a fan on the SR1?
Are you running VPR motors as well?
Wheres a good place to check pricing in the UK?
Yes you can fit a fan to it, in fact I have done.! Yes I'm running with the vampire motors too. Great quality. DMS is a good place to look at pricing.
mikeyscott
10-03-2013, 02:21 PM
I'm not about to just up and change due to the cost factors, but interested in any real word experiences from Orion users now running Vampire.
Yes I could ask other pro drivers, but I don't think it's 100% fair to provide feedback when it's a sponsors product.
I remember a while back one pro driver said to me if it's reliable then you're doing fine.
Darren Boyle
10-03-2013, 07:33 PM
Neal - I did wonder about the Yokomo ESC - not cheap though!
I wish Bally (MB) sold the Vampires now!
MB have just ordered some ESC's to go with their stock of Vampire LIPO's and motors. Based on the prices in the link above, they are about 30% cheaper too.....
Darren Boyle
10-03-2013, 07:55 PM
What settings can you change on the Vampire esc's? Punch, brake level etc?
You can adjust the following...
Cell type (LIPO 1 cell, LIPO 2 cell, NIMH, LiFe)
PTS - Power Timing System (0 = Blink, then levels 1-6 from progressive levels of boost/power)
Acceleration rate (5 levels from lowest to highest)
Current Limit ( 6 settings)
Motor rotation (normal/reversed)
Automatic brake (dead stick break as some call it) (11 settings from 0% upwards)
Initial brake (how much brake comes when you first start braking) (11 settings from 0% upwards)
OneKiwi
10-03-2013, 09:36 PM
The 1/8th esc looks interesting, any idea on price?
There will be 8th motors as well right?
badger5
10-03-2013, 10:06 PM
MB have just ordered some ESC's to go with their stock of Vampire LIPO's and motors. Based on the prices in the link above, they are about 30% cheaper too.....
It would be good to see another reasonably priced esc, 30% cheaper than the Yokomo unit would be very attractive. At that price (if correct) would surely appeal to many newcomers as well as being easier to program with less settings etc.
Richard Lowe
11-03-2013, 11:35 AM
I'm dead pleased with all my Vampire stuff, the simplicity of the ESC settings is nice and the way the SR1/+ smoothly ramps the timing up is totally seamless.
The only two settings I change on mine are the initial brake (which gets set to minimum when first setting up, then left alone), and the timing level. The way the timing works is almost like having in-between motor winds to use, 6.5 too fast but 7.5 too slow? Set the timing to 3 on a 7.5 and you have what feels like a 7.0 turn :)
Richard Lowe
11-03-2013, 11:39 AM
One more thing to note, the ESC's come with the timing set on maximum out of the box. So if it's a bit quick from new thats why!
andys
11-03-2013, 10:16 PM
Cheers for the heads up Rich.
Gunna give one a go when MB get them in - I like the thinking behind the software / settings makes much more sense - I wonder why no one else has adopted it or done anything similar?
lochness42
12-03-2013, 06:58 AM
Well, I won SR1+ speedo last year in DMS raffle and have been using it since then. I ran it in my 2wd buggy - was very nice to drive but also in TC 17.5 blinky class where it was very quick and I'm more than pleased with this speedo. If you're hesistating then go and get one :thumbsup:
Lee24h
23-03-2013, 10:51 AM
Will it run on 1s without a booster
neallewis
23-03-2013, 02:05 PM
Will it run on 1s without a booster
I believe so. It's forward only though, the Yokomo BL-Pro2 is 1S forward and reverse.
Robocop
23-03-2013, 02:23 PM
I got two as a replacement for vipers that i got,sr1 are very good escs must be why bloomfield has gone to them
andys
25-03-2013, 07:57 PM
Bought an SR1+ from MB - just need to decide which car to install it into.
Head says put it in the XB4 for outdoors, Heart says put it in the Bmax4 - should have bought 2 speedos...
andys
15-04-2013, 08:36 AM
Finally ran the Vampire in my XB4.
I turned down the settings a lot, so minimum acceleration and a low 'power' setting.
Very impressed indeed. The speedo is very smooth, and the brakes work beautifully with the car not locking up and braking very progressively. Ran a Speedpassion 6.5 in the car outdoors and it was very quick, so no need to ramp up the settings just yet.
Overall, much, much smoother than the Renvention I had in before.
paulj
15-05-2013, 06:26 PM
Can anybody give me a starting point for a SR1+ with an AB+V2 8.5T motor in a 2wd for astro? Something that works at Batley would be good :)
steveuk
19-06-2013, 08:33 PM
Hi
I oddly like someone else earlier in the thread won a sr1 in a raffle. I've just fitted it to my car, but I'm struggling to set it. From reading the instructions I should be changing the setting and then moving to the next menu item and holding set for 3 seconds.
I must be doing something wrong as this has twice resulted in my car going backwards!
Any tips?
Thanks
Steve
Darren Boyle
19-06-2013, 09:22 PM
Hi
I oddly like someone else earlier in the thread won a sr1 in a raffle. I've just fitted it to my car, but I'm struggling to set it. From reading the instructions I should be changing the setting and then moving to the next menu item and holding set for 3 seconds.
I must be doing something wrong as this has twice resulted in my car going backwards!
Any tips?
Thanks
Steve
Steve,
You press the MENU button for three seconds to enter the set up and the MENU button again when you have finished (just move to the next menu along - which will save the last one) and press (MENU) for three seconds (NOT the SET button - this only changes settings)
I think you probably tired to change your Current Limit (Menu 4) and then moved to Motor Direction (Menu 5) but instead of pressing and holding MENU you have pressed SET which has changed the setting of this option in error.
Try that and let us know how you get on....
OneKiwi
20-06-2013, 07:40 AM
Just a thought do you have it in a dex410 and gave the diffs upside down?
steveuk
20-06-2013, 01:35 PM
Thanks Darren I will give that a try later.
Steve
steveuk
13-07-2013, 10:28 AM
I just thought about adding a fan to my SR1 as it's going to be hot tomorrow. Unfortunately I've left it a bit late to order one. I have found a plug that fits on a Hobbywing 60amp speedo. When I plug it in it doesn't run, does the SR1 have some sort of fan 'management' and only run when it gets hot, or is the plug not the fit it looks like?
Steve
JohnM
13-07-2013, 01:22 PM
I just thought about adding a fan to my SR1 as it's going to be hot tomorrow. Unfortunately I've left it a bit late to order one. I have found a plug that fits on a Hobbywing 60amp speedo. When I plug it in it doesn't run, does the SR1 have some sort of fan 'management' and only run when it gets hot, or is the plug not the fit it looks like?
Steve
Yeah, the fan only comes on when you've used it a little, give it a little blast and it should come on.
Shimmy
31-07-2013, 05:10 AM
Where are these available?
With shipping to Aus and preferably without the massive price tag.
I made a thread a little while back about deciding between a Reventon Pro and a Viper VTX10-BE, I've kinda decided to go something different and when I read about these I was interested.
Also interested in the LRP Flow if I can't get a Vampire SR1 for a more comparative price.
Also been reading about the Orca and Dualsky options but unsure and the simpleness of the Vampire is an awesome feature.
Darren Boyle
31-07-2013, 10:42 AM
Where are these available?
With shipping to Aus and preferably without the massive price tag.
I made a thread a little while back about deciding between a Reventon Pro and a Viper VTX10-BE, I've kinda decided to go something different and when I read about these I was interested.
Also interested in the LRP Flow if I can't get a Vampire SR1 for a more comparative price.
Also been reading about the Orca and Dualsky options but unsure and the simpleness of the Vampire is an awesome feature.
Any of our UK dealers listed HERE > www.xfactoryrc.co.uk (http://www.xfactoryrc.co.uk) will be happy to ship to Aus for you....
Shimmy
31-07-2013, 01:45 PM
Fair enough, cool.
So, is the price inclusive of VAT, and does that get taken off for international orders?
I remember quite a while back, I was going to buy a guitar amp from the UK and they mentioned that VAT was taken off for international orders, just wondering if it's the same here?
Shimmy
06-08-2013, 03:35 AM
Ok, so I found I can get an SR1 for about $200.
I think I'll go this way.
Just a couple more questions though...
Is it worth spending the extra bit for the "+" version?
I'll be running in stock/blinky 2wd, but may go to mod later.
I'll also be getting a ST eventually, which is 10.5 blinky or 13.5 with timing (some events are mod though), which I'll likely use a 13.5t.
Is there any program box, being made for them? I realise it's more simple than other ESC's but I still don't really like counting flashes.
Lastly, what kind of support is available for it if I have any issues?
Andy71
06-08-2013, 12:21 PM
I also have a couple of questions:
Could somebody explain the effect of changing the current limit setting? Would it be similar to altering timing?
Also, we all know how quickly things change so curious about whether in the future firmware upgrades will be achievable and how?
Thanks
Andy
Richard Lowe
07-08-2013, 01:14 PM
The only differences between the SR1 and SR1+ are the + has slightly better fets, faster motor limit and comes with a fan. As far as features (timing ect) are concerned they are both the same, you can plug the fan into the SR1 too if you want.
I run an SR1 in my 2wd with a 6.5 V2 without a fan just fine, you'd be better with the fan in 4wd/shortcourse with big motors.
I never really play with the current limit on my Vampires, they are smooth/drivable enough I've never felt the need to :)
Shimmy
08-08-2013, 03:24 PM
The only differences between the SR1 and SR1+ are the + has slightly better fets, faster motor limit and comes with a fan. As far as features (timing ect) are concerned they are both the same, you can plug the fan into the SR1 too if you want.
I run an SR1 in my 2wd with a 6.5 V2 without a fan just fine, you'd be better with the fan in 4wd/shortcourse with big motors.
I never really play with the current limit on my Vampires, they are smooth/drivable enough I've never felt the need to :)
Cool, thanks for clearing it up a bit, really minimal information out there on these.
My only other thought was with all this big hoo haa people are putting on resistance is the SR1 has more than the SR1+.
Although I'm about 99% sure that it would be impossible for pretty much anyone to pick up the difference.
Might order it next week.
Shimmy
14-08-2013, 11:03 AM
Well I ended up buying an SR1+, wasn't that much extra over the SR1 so I thought why not.
Can't wait for it to get here to run it.
JohnM
14-08-2013, 12:58 PM
Well I ended up buying an SR1+, wasn't that much extra over the SR1 so I thought why not.
Can't wait for it to get here to run it.
You'll be happy with it I'm sure, I've been very impressed with mine this year, very smooth, but as fast as anything out there.
Shimmy
14-08-2013, 04:09 PM
Cool, any ideas when the website will be up?
Yeah, biggest hurdle right now is the weather, just cant do anything, either always raining or raining and windy.
Can't get a gap big enough for the track to dry out a bit to get on it.
Shimmy
20-08-2013, 07:26 AM
Another thing which was just bought to my attention (something I completely forgot to check).
Is there any plans on these ESC's becoming ROAR approved?
Shimmy
26-08-2013, 07:42 AM
Just received my SR1+, pretty happy with it so far.
How do I change the LVC?
Shimmy
01-09-2013, 09:23 AM
Since there is virtually no other source of informtion out there for these I'll add this here.
The LVC on the SR1/SR1+ is set at 2.8v and is NOT adjustable.
Darren Boyle
01-09-2013, 10:04 PM
Since there is virtually no other source of informtion out there for these I'll add this here.
The LVC on the SR1/SR1+ is set at 2.8v and is NOT adjustable.
2.8volt per cell in LIPO as per email reply I sent to you (I think) late last week...
Shimmy
02-09-2013, 12:58 AM
2.8volt per cell in LIPO as per email reply I sent to you (I think) late last week...
Yes, it was me.
I understood it to be 2.8 per cell, I should have clarified it.
I still don't quite understand why it's so low, it's the only negative thing I have on it, I have nothing but good things to say otherwise.
I'll probably just run an external alarm or something, I was going to sell it but I know with this, I wouldn't get enough money back to buy another decent ESC.
Darren Boyle
02-09-2013, 01:46 PM
Yes, it was me.
I understood it to be 2.8 per cell, I should have clarified it.
I still don't quite understand why it's so low, it's the only negative thing I have on it, I have nothing but good things to say otherwise.
I'll probably just run an external alarm or something, I was going to sell it but I know with this, I wouldn't get enough money back to buy another decent ESC.
2.8V per cell is fine, if your cells ever hit that low in a race and you put them on charge straight away they would be fine, no long term damage would be caused. This allows for high current draw situations where the punch of a fast brushless motor can cause a voltage drop that would otherwise shut down an ESC if it was set any lower... We have had no issues with this at all here in the UK to date.
Shimmy
02-09-2013, 04:57 PM
2.8V per cell is fine, if your cells ever hit that low in a race and you put them on charge straight away they would be fine, no long term damage would be caused. This allows for high current draw situations where the punch of a fast brushless motor can cause a voltage drop that would otherwise shut down an ESC if it was set any lower... We have had no issues with this at all here in the UK to date.
I understand that point, must just be something thats done or thought of differently on that side of the world.
Although I can't say I've ever had that issue though, of the voltage sagging that far.
I'm not trying to come across as a complainer as it is indeed a fine ESC, just wanted to understand why it's so low and non adjustable, havn't seen another modern ESC like it.
Blitz34
03-09-2013, 01:55 PM
Hi guys need abit of help I bought the vampire sr1+ and a 6.5t v2 motor and put it in my durango desc210r truck but I have a major problem with the motor over heating I've dropped the pts down to its lowest and dropped pinion down to 16t!!! With a 87 spur the truck is running mm4 setup please any advise to get the temperature down even more thanks Steve.:thumbsup:
Jason A
18-09-2013, 06:55 AM
Has there been anything updated on the speedo since its release in 2011 ?
simon
18-09-2013, 08:39 AM
Hi,
Does this speedo have amp limiting?.....like the GM genius?
Darren Boyle
18-09-2013, 01:05 PM
Jason A - as yet there has been no requirement to make any updates or changes to the factory supplied software, so all models still run Version 1.0.0, not sure if that is a good or a bad thing, people always like "updates" and fiddling around with stuff I guess (its in our nature) but on the other hand no patches, error corrections or updates have been required for it thus far, meaning no one has "had" to make updates simply to get the best out of their equipment since none have been needed..
Simon - the SR1 and SR1+ both feature Current Limiting (in terms of a percentage of power - 80/90% etc) and also feature the PTS (Power Timing System) which are the two provided ways of adjusting and controlling the power delivery
Hope that helps....
Swell
07-10-2013, 05:21 PM
Great customer support:thumbsup:
Love the SR1+
Fast Smooth & Easy to Setup :wub
dMITIj
11-10-2013, 12:39 PM
Hello all.
So is the ppl still happy with there Vampire SR1+?
Best Regards.
JohnM
11-10-2013, 03:23 PM
Hello all.
So is the ppl still happy with there Vampire SR1+?
Best Regards.
Very happy;)
cutting42
11-10-2013, 07:06 PM
Hello all.
So is the ppl still happy with there Vampire SR1+?
Best Regards.
Yup, I have 2 now and the SR1 in my 2WD
Swell
12-10-2013, 07:32 AM
Hello all.
So is the ppl still happy with there Vampire SR1+?
Best Regards.
Raced mine last night, i have to mention the brakes! There so progressive its like you can feel the actuation of the thing sweeeeet.
maineyak
28-10-2013, 10:50 PM
Actually I am really struggling with the brakes on my SR1+ as they seem massively overpowered no matter where I set the initial brake.
I've just about coped with the powerful braking (set on 1 = 10% initial brake) during the summer but yesterday in the wet it was undriveable. I experimented between 1-10 but it seems to make no difference whatsover... I know I'm not blessed with the most sensitive thumbs but pulling the stick back a couple of mm immediately locks up the rear end (2WD buggy)
BTW I'm not finding the instructions the most detailed in the world. If I want to set the brakes to 0% it says set it for zero flashes. Well there are never zero flashes it only ever starts at one. I assume eleven flashes = zero???
I even put a lot of negative curve on the braking through the tranny but that made only a little difference. Does anyone else suffer from the same issue with this esc?
There seems to very little after market support. The Vampire site has been 'coming soon' for at least 6 months now. How do we find out about software updates if they exist?
Don't get me wrong I love this speedo (apart from my braking issue) its so simple and most settings do exactly as they say on the tin.
Darren Boyle
28-10-2013, 11:50 PM
Sorry to hear of your issues with the brakes, this is the first time we have heard this and in fact most others comment on just how smooth and progressive they are.
What radio are you using and what EPA setting do have set at present, if any?
For any support you need here in the UK, please feel free to come back to us, since we are the UK distributor for Vampire and we will help out in any way that we can. Sven and his team at Vampire are aware of the need to get the all new website launched asap and also acknowledge it has been down for way too long already. I have seen a preview of the new site and it is very impressive, they just need ot get it live now...
There have not been (since there has been no requirement to date) any updates to the firmware of the SR1 or SR1+ so dont worry you are not missing out on anything.
Regards, Darren - X-Factory UK
maineyak
29-10-2013, 12:00 AM
Hi Darren,
Thanks for getting back to me so quickly. I'm sure we can sort this out :)
I have an Exzes X and I will check the EPA's tomorrow.
BTW is this correct?
If I want to set the brakes to 0% it says set it for zero flashes. Well there are never zero flashes it only ever starts at one. I assume eleven flashes = zero???
Thanks
M.
maineyak
29-10-2013, 07:54 PM
Checked through my tranny settings and my EPA for brakes was set at 103% Is that going to make much difference? Reset to 100% anyway.
Can I just run this by you again?
If I want to set the initial brake to 0% the instructions say set it for zero flashes. Seems there are never zero flashes it only ever starts at one.
However the instructions say there is a maximum of 10 flashes per category but I count 11 flashes as max for Auto and initial brake categories. I assume 11 flashes = 0% then?
Initial brake is how aggressive the brake force is I guess. If I set it to 0 should I have no brakes?
Darren Boyle
29-10-2013, 08:01 PM
Checked through my tranny settings and my EPA for brakes was set at 103% Is that going to make much difference? Reset to 100% anyway.
Can I just run this by you again?
If I want to set the initial brake to 0% the instructions say set it for zero flashes. Seems there are never zero flashes it only ever starts at one.
However the instructions say there is a maximum of 10 flashes per category but I count 11 flashes as max for Auto and initial brake categories. I assume 11 flashes = 0% then?
Initial brake is how aggressive the brake force is I guess. If I set it to 0 should I have no brakes?
EPA to 100% will help slightly, but your other settings are your problem
If you look at the chart in the manual there are 11 settings per mode, since 0 is the first then there are ten more (hence 11), by setting to 11 flashes you are on 100% brake as soon as you pull back on the stick, try 2 or 3 to start with (standard) which will be 10 or 20% initial then progressively working up to 100% through the stick downward travel.
Menu 0 should not be confused with 0 flashes.
The less flashes, the less initial brake you will have....
Hope that helps
maineyak
29-10-2013, 09:53 PM
erm... ok
So you are saying Menu 0 is 1 flash and Menu 1 is 2 flashes so on up Menu 10 is 11 flashes. That is so confusing for a start :)
Hang on that can't be right because I have my Battery type set at 1 flash (which you are saying is Menu 0) which according to the chart has no setting at all.
So are you saying to set your battery type as Lipo 2S (Menu 1) you need 2 flashes?
Confused..... :)
Darren Boyle
29-10-2013, 10:05 PM
Battery selection does not have 10 settings though ;-)
My reply specifically referred to the brake setting you asked about, try it and see how you get on......
The flashes are counted for the 1st option in each menu, so if you have 5 options, the 5th flash is the 5th option. In the case of brakes, 0% intial brake is the first option, it is one flash, simple really....
maineyak
29-10-2013, 10:14 PM
Arr... I get it now.... So menu number and number of flashes are actually the same - apart from when talking about brakes.....
Unfortunately that isn't the answer though. I've been running initial brake on 1 flash all season (still locks up) and only tried 11 flashes in desperation on Sunday as I thought it might turn initial brake off altogether.
To be honest I find no difference between 1 or 11 flashes affecting the brakes.
M.
discothesnake
29-10-2013, 10:24 PM
Have you tried turning your brake endpoint down after speedo is set? If you are running your brake endpoint on 100% try experimenting by turning it down and see how you get on.
Also, is there no setting box for this speedo? I have the Yokomo version of this and it's superb. The settings box makes it really simple to set up.
Dave
Darren Boyle
29-10-2013, 10:35 PM
Arr... I get it now.... So menu number and number of flashes are actually the same - apart from when talking about brakes.....
Unfortunately that isn't the answer though. I've been running initial brake on 1 flash all season (still locks up) and only tried 11 flashes in desperation on Sunday as I thought it might turn initial brake off altogether.
To be honest I find no difference between 1 or 11 flashes affecting the brakes.
M.
The setting is only for initial brake (the amount your braking starts at) not brake power (if that makes sense).
Also make sure that the ESC is re-set (now that ther EPA has moved) and make sure that full brake is set to only reach at full stick travel also.
Also, check at what point of stick tavel you LED lights up on full brakes, just to confirm they are only reaching full when the stick is at the very end of the brake travel and not before
Dave - no setting box currenlty avialable from Vampire for these, all setting is done by push button
maineyak
29-10-2013, 10:36 PM
Hi Disco,
Yes you are right. After Darren mentioned EPA's I thought that is going to be the easy way to solve my problem. Leave the controller on 1 flash and use my tranny to set brake power.
No setting box as far as I'm aware.. I wonder if the Yokomo one will work?
neallewis
29-10-2013, 10:50 PM
No setting box as far as I'm aware.. I wonder if the Yokomo one will work?
It does, but not the reverse, and extra settings (power curve) that the yok BL-Pro2 turbo seems to have. Breaks, current limit and timing advance do work.
OneKiwi
05-08-2014, 02:19 PM
Ive seen quite a few of these being sold, any reason? People not liking them or not getting on with them?
Karting
05-08-2014, 08:13 PM
I love my SR1+.
Infact i plan to buy another soon (well when i get a 4wd)
PS, the vampire website works now (in my sig)
cmgreen
05-08-2014, 09:05 PM
Lrp or Nosram, there is none that beat them
cutting42
06-08-2014, 12:00 AM
I love my SR1+.
Infact I plan to buy another soon (well when i get a 4wd)
PS, the vampire website works now (in my sig)
I love them to, I have 4 of them now and an SR1 non plus version. Smooth powerful and just work.
Why are there some for sale? You know how people are, always looking for the latest and greatest kit. Moving cars each season, heard about the latest new manufacturer so switching makes etc.
Snap them up cheap when people move on. All my batteries are second hand from people who like to change each year and I am not good enough to tell the difference but like them being half price.
Lrp or Nosram, there is none that beat them
I recently purchased an SR1+ having only ever run Nosram's, personally I reckon the Vampire has smoother throttle feel and stronger, more progressive feeling brakes.
dazp83
28-05-2015, 06:23 AM
Looking at buying a new esc are people still using these?
Karting
28-05-2015, 07:00 AM
Still using mine, week in, week out
dazp83
28-05-2015, 07:41 AM
Ok sounds good, do you use their motors?
Karting
28-05-2015, 09:40 AM
Ok sounds good, do you use their motors?
Yes, im using (as i prefer) the older style Vampire Sensor Motors. I have a 5.5t and a 6.5t and both are brilliant. Ive had my SR1+ for overr 2 years now without a problem (i also use the Vampire Sensor Lead and Vampire Shorty Lipos.)
Lets hope i havn't just sealed there fate by typing this!:thumbsup:
dazp83
28-05-2015, 12:17 PM
Okay thanks for the info, it's either the vampire or the new sky rc 160a.
Stickygeko
01-07-2015, 04:08 PM
Okay thanks for the info, it's either the vampire or the new sky rc 160a.
which one did you end up getting daz
Steven Forster
31-10-2016, 09:19 PM
Having problems with my SR1+ over heating......any ideas ?
Radio is a Sanwa MT4 which has has the settings reset to default.
Ive calibrated the esc to my radio and have reset esc to default setting.
Running it in my RB6.6 with a Thunder Power 7.5t motor.
Gearing is standard 76 spur.....tried with a 21 and 23t pinion still red hot after a 5 min race.....???
buggy#0
01-11-2016, 12:32 AM
Having problems with my SR1+ over heating......any ideas ?
Radio is a Sanwa MT4 which has has the settings reset to default.
Ive calibrated the esc to my radio and have reset esc to default setting.
Running it in my RB6.6 with a Thunder Power 7.5t motor.
Gearing is standard 76 spur.....tried with a 21 and 23t pinion still red hot after a 5 min race.....???
Having spent a lot of time with Vampire stuff, and having originally invested myself in it because on face value they were very good for the price, I have to say that solely from my experience neither the speedos or motors are all that great in that regard. Both, but in particular the motors, have a tendency to reach ridiculous temperatures through normal use. Having run them indoors last season and felt things getting toasty, I figured the lack of cool air compared to outdoors was the issue. Unfortunately it wasn't the case, the ESC would get noticeably hot, but the V2 motors would reach astonishing temperatures after just a few minutes of driving - to the point where it was taking a good 30 minutes for the motor plate to cool down to a point where you could touch it for more than a few seconds. Gearing definitely wasn't an issue, as one day I ran back to back with an Absima motor to see if it was the Vampire motor causing the issue - after about 10 minutes of driving on a warm day the can was nowhere near as hot.
I can't say the SR1/SR1+ didn't work, it was been reliable if not all that smooth at times, but it did tend to get warm at the best of times - I don't think it affected the performance, it's just something that happens. The V2 motors, purely from my past experience, are something to be avoided at all costs if you ever plan on buying one - it could've just been some random manufacturing issues but I've never known a motor to reach such ridiculous temperatures after just minutes of driving.
cutting42
01-11-2016, 02:16 AM
I have run Vampire SR1 and SR1+ as well as a range of V2 motors for the past 3 years and did not have any heating issues in 2wd and 4wd with up to a 5.5T motor.
I like them as they don't require any setup, they just work with no messing about. I did always run the ESC fan and make sure there is air flow in my bodyshells.
I have moved to Corally electrics but did not move due to heat or performance issues.
vBulletin® v3.8.7, Copyright ©2000-2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.