PDA

View Full Version : Faulty AMB Transponder, needs new wire.


raymondkerr
10-03-2013, 07:34 PM
Where in the UK can I get my AMB transponder rewired ? Does anyone have a contact for Rob Nelson ? is there a UK website ?


Thanks
Raymond

mark christopher
10-03-2013, 07:36 PM
google bbk software though neither they or AMB offer a repair service

raymondkerr
10-03-2013, 07:54 PM
Thanks Mark,

Just found the BBK website.

:thumbsup:

Chequered Flag Racing
10-03-2013, 07:59 PM
Here's one we rewired in a bit of a rush on a club night. You could do a better job if you take your time over it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=on5qcS08IFo

OneKiwi
10-03-2013, 09:31 PM
I found the hardest part was removing the resin they use, A dremel works well with the right reaming/filing tool and a small tip solder iron to melt it a little.

I then replaced the whole case with the carbon fiber look and filled it with shoe goo, silicone will work as well.

I then printed out the number on a label maker and stuck the number on the sides and front then covered those with shoe goo.

Its never missed a beat and I lengthened the wires in the process

There is no hole for the LED so that had to be drilled and protected with SG

http://www.rcmodel.ca/shop/images/east_coast/m_138AMB01.jpg

Id do it for you but Im sure you can find someone locally

raymondkerr
10-03-2013, 09:45 PM
Thanks for the info. It kinda surprises me if BBK don't in actual fact offer a repair service, surely these things are too expensive just to replace because of a faulty wire, the condition otherwise is perfect considering how long I've had it. I'll wait till I hear from BBK until I decide to open it up myself, don't fancy breaking through the resin though. Might try and get away with doing a resolder on the middle of the wire and see if that helps.

Dombrasky
11-03-2013, 01:20 PM
ive been through the same thing,kept putting it off but i did the same as post above
in the end i thought theres nothing to lose,i just peeled off the outer covering
and luckily there was enough wire there to resolder and as it had broke
off right on the edge

raymondkerr
11-03-2013, 02:56 PM
yeah just heard back from BBK offering me a trade in but to be honest, I don't want to spend the money on a new one when this one can be fixed, hopefully taking care to re solder the wire again will sort the problem, I'm not paying for a new one, until I really have to.

:yawn:

bodgit
11-03-2013, 03:55 PM
I'll wait till I hear from BBK until I decide to open it up myself, don't fancy breaking through the resin though. Might try and get away with doing a resolder on the middle of the wire and see if that helps.

Not sure from what you say here whether the wire is broken inside the pt or outside. If its outside its an easy job , solder and heatshrink. A picture would help.

raymondkerr
11-03-2013, 05:51 PM
I've just re soldered the wire but the problem still persists, it appears to be right next to the casing, when you press on the cable, the light goes out, I would need to open the case to sort properly, which might be tricky.

:confused:

Not sure from what you say here whether the wire is broken inside the pt or outside. If its outside its an easy job , solder and heatshrink. A picture would help.

longman
11-03-2013, 06:34 PM
did my own transponder bought one of the carbon cases of ebay for £10 cut the old case off and carfully scrapped the resin out with a new scalpel blade got a new cable and soldered new cable in then into the new case its not to hard to do, just take your time..

matt76
11-03-2013, 06:36 PM
I found the hardest part was removing the resin they use, A dremel works well with the right reaming/filing tool and a small tip solder iron to melt it a little.

I then replaced the whole case with the carbon fiber look and filled it with shoe goo, silicone will work as well.

I then printed out the number on a label maker and stuck the number on the sides and front then covered those with shoe goo.

Its never missed a beat and I lengthened the wires in the process

There is no hole for the LED so that had to be drilled and protected with SG

http://www.rcmodel.ca/shop/images/east_coast/m_138AMB01.jpg

Id do it for you but Im sure you can find someone locally

where did you get the case from?

bodgit
11-03-2013, 07:26 PM
Cases from
http://www.etamiya.com/shop/eastcoast-ec138amb01-carbon-transponder-case-p-90029214.html

bodgit
11-03-2013, 07:37 PM
Rather than split the case could you use a dremel and route away slowly along the line of the wires untill you get deep enough to remove and resolder new wires . Fill in slot with silicon.

matt76
11-03-2013, 08:05 PM
Hi mate, just had a go at fixing mine, the wire was damaged just inside the expoxy. I used a soldering iron to soften the epoxy a little at a time and craft knife to cut it away (it goes quite soft after heating it up) I then used some silicone to reseal,

matt76
11-03-2013, 08:07 PM
Cases from
http://www.etamiya.com/shop/eastcoast-ec138amb01-carbon-transponder-case-p-90029214.html

thanks:)