Log in

View Full Version : Speed Passion Gran Turismo Set Up Problem


funksta
14-03-2013, 07:02 PM
I am returning to RC after 25 years, got a Speed Passion Gran Turismo V2 esc and 10.5 motor for buggy. VERY confused with the set up as its not behaving as the product support vid says: http://www.speedpassion.net/us/productDetails.asp?p=EXT98802LPFcb&c=ESC any pointers to put me out of my misery would be hugely appreciated!...

I pretty sure the wiring is as the paperwork with the esc says, when i plug in power the fan is running, when i switch on esc the fan runs quicker, but whether the esc is switched on or off i have forward via the transmitter & no reverse. Needless to say if i follow the instructions on the set up vid i dont get past the first stage as the beeps dont happen!

Any pointers at all pleeeeeeeeeeease :(

Many thanks

Col
14-03-2013, 08:32 PM
I pretty sure the wiring is as the paperwork with the esc says, when i plug in power the fan is running, when i switch on esc the fan runs quicker, but whether the esc is switched on or off i have forward via the transmitter & no reverse.

The fan is running with the ESC turned off?
The car will travel forward with the ESC turned off?

There is something amiss if either of those are happening

funksta
14-03-2013, 08:37 PM
Yes i am completely confused! need to unsolder everything & start again i think :(

Col
14-03-2013, 08:40 PM
I'd agree!

funksta
14-03-2013, 08:54 PM
On the esc in + i have battery connector lead, fan & capacitor, likewise on the -
The switch feed into the side of the esc, i cant understand how its wrong??

discothesnake
14-03-2013, 09:13 PM
Can you upload a photo of your set up?

funksta
14-03-2013, 09:48 PM
I will need to take off the under tray (CAT SX3) and unstick receiver & esc and remove motor so that the wirings clear. If i cant resolve the weekend i will certainly do that. Thanks

Andrew Twigger
14-03-2013, 10:26 PM
The fan being connected directly to the battery would explain it being on all the time. The fan should have its own plug that goes into a socket on the speedo - then it'll only be on when the speedo is on.

As for the switch being always on...did you buy the speedo new? The only time I've had that particular symptom was when I wired the speedo the wrong way round. That ends in instant death sadly.:blush:

funksta
14-03-2013, 11:05 PM
I did buy the speedo new, i soldered it up about a week ago, just looked properly and:

Speedo + has battery lead, capacitor & receiver
Speedo - has the same
Fan is in the 2 pin plug on side of speedo next to ch 2 input from transmitter
Orange, yellow, blue leads (ABC) to the motor from speedo

funksta
14-03-2013, 11:09 PM
sorry... ch 2 input from reciever (not transmitter!)

Andrew Twigger
14-03-2013, 11:25 PM
A picture would definitely help.

RudolfXC
15-03-2013, 12:03 AM
I did buy the speedo new, i soldered it up about a week ago, just looked properly and:

Speedo + has battery lead, capacitor & receiver
Speedo - has the same
Fan is in the 2 pin plug on side of speedo next to ch 2 input from transmitter
Orange, yellow, blue leads (ABC) to the motor from speedo


Connecting the battery leads directly to the receiver will make it, the servo, and ESC come on as soon as the battery is plugged in.

mattr
15-03-2013, 06:21 AM
Connecting the battery leads directly to the receiver will make it, the servo, and ESC come on as soon as the battery is plugged in.+1

The receiver usually receives its power direct from the ESC control lead, not from being connected directly to the battery.

Can the receiver and servo even work with 8.4 volts? (The BEC on an ESC generally kicks out 6 volts doesn't it? And i'm sure i've seen some servos that specifically state that they aren't lipo compatible)

mattr
15-03-2013, 06:24 AM
I pretty sure the wiring is as the paperwork with the esc says
http://www.speedpassion.net/uploadfiles/downloads/2010914154017GT2ProLPFGT21ProStock_ESC_User_Manual _Sept14th2010.pdf

Even the manual shows the ESC plugged into the Rx. Not the Rx to the battery.

funksta
15-03-2013, 08:36 AM
Many thanks, the PDF is certainly clearer than the paper copy included with the esc, all is as it should be except the power feed to the receiver which i have soldered to the + & - on the esc...

the attached shows the set up

Mike2222
15-03-2013, 08:46 AM
The "bat" marking on receiver is an output, usually for a transponder. It does not mean connect direct to your lipo battery.

funksta
15-03-2013, 08:47 AM
MASSIVE thanks all for your replies, the whole issue was that in addition to the plug in from receiver to esc I also had the power supply to receiver feeding from the power to esc. I unplugged that from the receiver & job done! now calibrated

Many thanks again all, my misery has ended :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

funksta
15-03-2013, 09:01 AM
Thanks Mike, this illustrates how much of a noobie back to the scene I am, I thought 'bat' meant battery supply to the receiver!

mattr
15-03-2013, 09:56 AM
Many thanks again all, my misery has ended :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:Nah, the misery really kicks off now........ broken cars, being beaten by 7 year olds, more broken cars, struggling with set ups :thumbsup:

Robbiejuk
15-03-2013, 01:04 PM
Thanks Mike, this illustrates how much of a noobie back to the scene I am, I thought 'bat' meant battery supply to the receiver!

Eseentially it is but it is only used when using a car that has a wiper board speedo (vintage style) or on nitro cars which need a seperate battery pack to power the electrics in it.

On a modern speedo the power to the receiver is fed from the speed controller via the receiver wire.

funksta
15-03-2013, 04:53 PM
Nah, the misery really kicks off now........ broken cars, being beaten by 7 year olds, more broken cars, struggling with set ups :thumbsup:


Haha I know you are right, well & truely got the bug again, its a whole new world to holiday buggy days!

funksta
15-03-2013, 04:57 PM
Thanks Robert, it was the wiper board speedo's when i was into it quarter of a century ago! Either that or a micro switch :)