View Full Version : Turbo Optima Mid SE-X
HKS_TRD
22-03-2013, 12:21 PM
So, a bit of background before I get into the build.
In 1989 I purchased a NIB Turbo Optima Mid SE, the only NIB RC Car I purchased. I couldn't really afford to do many mods but over the five years I owned it I managed to collect a few bits and pieces for it such as a Novak4 ESC (an ESC was a big thing to someone with no money), Lazer ZX rear wheels and a one-way diff for the front. I also managed to find an undertray for it at some stage. I ran a HPI Uno motor in it and then a LOSI, I forget what wind but it had a yellow sticker on the can and was really fast, much faster than the UNO
At one point, in 1990 IIRC a model shop offered me the LWB Optima Mid conversion kit for bugger all ($50 I believe) but I didn't buy it and always regret it. The main attraction for me was just the shape of the chassis, I never liked the skinny mid chassis and loved the shape of the saddle pack chassis, to the point that I cut some pieces of black tin to the right shape and screwed them to the chassis just to get that look lol
These are the only pics I have of it, you can see narrowed Mid wheels on the front and the Lazer wheels on the rear
http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg152/HKS_TRD/RC%20Cars/MySE1.jpg
http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg152/HKS_TRD/RC%20Cars/MySE2.jpg
http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg152/HKS_TRD/RC%20Cars/MySE3.jpg
I did however keep the box!
http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg152/HKS_TRD/RC%20Cars/210320133700_zpscecaa7fe.jpg
http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg152/HKS_TRD/RC%20Cars/210320133703_zpsc9583f8c.jpg
http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg152/HKS_TRD/RC%20Cars/210320133704_zps535ec9be.jpg
http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg152/HKS_TRD/RC%20Cars/210320133708_zps2e85426b.jpg
http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg152/HKS_TRD/RC%20Cars/210320133714_zps530ef7ec.jpg
http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg152/HKS_TRD/RC%20Cars/210320133715_zps9622165e.jpg
http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg152/HKS_TRD/RC%20Cars/210320133716_zps2cae7b0e.jpg
http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg152/HKS_TRD/RC%20Cars/210320133718_zps143fc62d.jpg
http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg152/HKS_TRD/RC%20Cars/210320133719_zps59935b60.jpg
http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg152/HKS_TRD/RC%20Cars/210320133722_zpsf0722849.jpg
http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg152/HKS_TRD/RC%20Cars/210320133723_zpscd40248b.jpg
http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg152/HKS_TRD/RC%20Cars/210320133724_zps8900102b.jpg
HKS_TRD
22-03-2013, 12:34 PM
So, the theme of this build is to build an SE with some of the mods that mine had, but also some of the mods that I had in mind but never got to do. This can also include vintage parts I knew of but never even got to see in person.
I'm trying to avoid using any parts that I never knew about or wanted back when I owned mine but I may make a couple exceptions.
Basically I am building the SE that I had in my mind but wasn't able to execute. As I slowly build it any non original part will be explained along the way.
Below is pretty much 90% of the parts for it, the rest are either somewhere else here or in transit, a few of the specs I haven't actually decided on, and I'll be open to opinions as things progress
http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg152/HKS_TRD/RC%20Cars/210320133731_zpsa9c6c1cc.jpg
One thing you will notice is some fibrelyte pieces, this may seem out of line with my build theme however, at the time I had my SE Carbon Fibre parts were starting to show up and I thought it would have been cool to have the shock towers, chassis, upper deck, motor brace etc all in Carbon Fibre rather than fibreglass and aluminium, so this does fit in with the build theme.
Those paying attention may recall that I wish the SWB Mid chassis was shaped like a saddle pack chassis. So, rather than resort to cutting out pieces of tin again, this time around the heart of the build is this custom SWB chassis I had Fibrelyte make for me
http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg152/HKS_TRD/RC%20Cars/210320133726_zps4e230f67.jpg
And hand in hand with the chassis is the Carbon Fibre upper deck, keen eyes may spot the difference to the standard upper deck.
http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg152/HKS_TRD/RC%20Cars/210320133727_zps9d420f93.jpg
I'm aiming to have the gearboxes built and bolted up over Easter if not some more progress.
So, be patient and stay tuned!
DanB4
22-03-2013, 03:45 PM
Awesome Dan as always!
Watching with great interest.
Dan
mintzant
22-03-2013, 03:57 PM
Loved old kyosho cars...
Send us more pictures...
Fantastic!
DanB4
22-03-2013, 06:04 PM
Like this one?
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y260/SDRCC/20130322_215338_zps0ba9d5ed.jpg
oli4ke
22-03-2013, 06:52 PM
Nice Dan :woot::thumbsup:
keithrc
22-03-2013, 10:28 PM
Awesome stuff Dan! :thumbsup: Very much looking forward to seeing how this one progresses.
Keith ;)
HKS_TRD
23-03-2013, 12:51 AM
Awesome Dan as always!
Watching with great interest.
Dan
Thanks Dan, this and the SP were the original two projects I had in mind when I got back into RC last year
Loved old kyosho cars...
Send us more pictures...
Fantastic!
I wish I had more pictures of the old Mid but unfortunately thats all I have, glad I atleast have them!
Like this one?
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y260/SDRCC/20130322_215338_zps0ba9d5ed.jpg
That looks like the motor I had in my SE, I have a couple other motors slated for this one, haven't entirely made up my mind yet. I think the LOSI I had was a triple wind
Nice Dan :woot::thumbsup:
Thanks Oli, some of the many parts I have sourced from you are going into this build. Oh and I decided at this stage I will be staying with the brand new Platinum shocks, that and the stickers are the only SE specific DNA left in the build so they had to stay!
Awesome stuff Dan! :thumbsup: Very much looking forward to seeing how this one progresses.
Keith ;)
Thanks Keith, I'm looking forward to seeing the Mid I had in my mind 20 years ago actually becoming a reality.
I wonder if Terry spot the detail change in the upper deck.
percymon
23-03-2013, 07:29 AM
Nice collection of parts. Top radio plate looks to be missing the loops/slots on the side.
I hope the parts fit well - i had to make quite a few small adjustments to fibre-lyte parts i had for my Egress build recently.
j0pp3
23-03-2013, 09:27 AM
Another great project! Now pinned on my radar :)
HKS_TRD
23-03-2013, 03:41 PM
Nice collection of parts. Top radio plate looks to be missing the loops/slots on the side.
I hope the parts fit well - i had to make quite a few small adjustments to fibre-lyte parts i had for my Egress build recently.
Bingo, that is the change, the upper deck is the same on both sides.
I had the same mod done to the LWB upper deck for another project waiting in the wings.
I did have to modify the rear pivot block and the very rear of the chassis, the pivot block fouled on the very rear of the chassis so I filed that till it fit a regular metal chassis and I then filed the rear of the CF chassis till a standard metal pivot block cleared it. Only took a few minutes
I know I need to mod the front shock tower to clear the bumps on the front gearbox case for the bearings, should be easy enough to do
Another great project! Now pinned on my radar :)
Thanks for the positive words.
Have you got any new projects of your own that you will be starting soon?
HKS_TRD
29-03-2013, 04:10 AM
I managed to make some progress a little earlier than I expected.
I had a one-way in the front of my SE so I always had to have one in this build. However my efforts were constantly thwarted, every time one turned up on eBay the seller wouldn't post to Australia :-(
I can't quite remember how but I managed to discover the following piece
http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg152/HKS_TRD/RC%20Cars/270320133744_zps26328552.jpg
Which you can then install into a standard belt driven gear-diff case along with all the other necessary goodies
http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg152/HKS_TRD/RC%20Cars/270320133745_zpsed02fb80.jpg
To give you exactly the same thing as the W-0106
http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg152/HKS_TRD/RC%20Cars/270320133746_zps6910f726.jpg
I kept the original ball diff in the back of my SE so that was what would be going into the rear gearbox of this build
I had bought a secondhand parts lot which included a rear ball diff, the older version, which was perfect for this build. However whilst the outdrives were perfect, the teeth on the pulley were toast, which is a little odd. Here you can see the old pulley next to all the parts that came with that pulley, built into a new pulley. You can see what I mean about the condition of the outdrives not matching the condition of the pulley.
http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg152/HKS_TRD/RC%20Cars/270320133753_zps7cca37e5.jpg
I had purchased a secondhand long wheel base Mid from this forum a while back which was stripped, a friend has half the parts for his project (when we start assembling that there will be a thread for it) and I kept the other half for some of my builds. All the parts for the rear gearbox bar the casing, ball diff and belt came from that car. One thing I did was dye the yellow washer that sits on the outside of the gearbox black, you can't really see it but I was dying some other stuff so I did it anyway
http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg152/HKS_TRD/RC%20Cars/280320133755_zps665c39e3.jpg
So now it was time to break out a new set of gearbox casings
http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg152/HKS_TRD/RC%20Cars/280320133756_zpse3d19d1b.jpg
To get things up to this stage
http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg152/HKS_TRD/RC%20Cars/280320133760_zpsde88c871.jpg
Now for the exciting part. I got to break the chassis out of the plastic, along with a few other parts
http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg152/HKS_TRD/RC%20Cars/280320133761_zps134b20fb.jpg
http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg152/HKS_TRD/RC%20Cars/280320133769_zps5722e0aa.jpg
http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg152/HKS_TRD/RC%20Cars/280320133770_zpsfa3a1d74.jpg
I actually had a second front plate made which was a different shape, but I decided to use the standard looking one on this build, this one is probably stronger and I plan to put it on my LWB Mid runner build at this stage
http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg152/HKS_TRD/RC%20Cars/280320133771_zps21f10d29.jpg
So all of that brought me up to here
http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg152/HKS_TRD/RC%20Cars/280320133773_zpscc8d7580.jpg
http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg152/HKS_TRD/RC%20Cars/280320133775_zps56be63a5.jpg
http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg152/HKS_TRD/RC%20Cars/280320133776_zps079fac1e.jpg
http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg152/HKS_TRD/RC%20Cars/280320133772_zpseac698ed.jpg
http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg152/HKS_TRD/RC%20Cars/280320133777_zps62a67600.jpg
I plan on making some more progress over the Easter Break
Crashtest33
29-03-2013, 06:26 AM
Did Fibre-Lyte do the carbon end plates from OT-95 too?!
HKS_TRD
29-03-2013, 07:13 AM
Did Fibre-Lyte do the carbon end plates from OT-95 too?!
Yep they did. I sent them a pair to copy. I had to file the corners of the rear one a little to clear the chassis but it was no big deal. I know I have to file the front shock tower a little too but its no big deal, I plan to do that this weekend and hopefully get it sitting on the special wheels I got just for this build over the course of this weekend. Getting the screws into the carbon motor plate was a bit painful. I'm debating if I shluld put my A&L motor plate on this build or save it for very modified LWB Mid runner I will be building after this one is done. Though that may end up a shelfer as I have one other project which is 100% going to be a runner in the works.
I am sorry to cross post I would love to get a optima mid b4 slipper layshaft any ideas
HKS_TRD
04-04-2013, 04:02 PM
OK so time for a bit of an update. I'll spread this over a few posts as there are quite a few pictures.
First up was to bolt up these ( I had to mod the front shock tower to clear the bulges on the gearbox cases where the outdrive bearings sit)
http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg152/HKS_TRD/RC%20Cars/290320133780_zps92a77cf4.jpg
And these
http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg152/HKS_TRD/RC%20Cars/290320133781_zps59904d06.jpg
http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg152/HKS_TRD/RC%20Cars/290320133782_zpsf8f42738.jpg
I remembered A&L Ballraced bellcranks from back in the day so when I found out you could buy them new I ordered a set right away
http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg152/HKS_TRD/RC%20Cars/290320133783_zps10abcbdd.jpg
So, that lot got things to here
http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg152/HKS_TRD/RC%20Cars/290320133789_zpsc3f754a3.jpg
http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg152/HKS_TRD/RC%20Cars/290320133788_zps68f65457.jpg
http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg152/HKS_TRD/RC%20Cars/290320133792_zpsb3eeba75.jpg
http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg152/HKS_TRD/RC%20Cars/290320133791_zps394c780c.jpg
http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg152/HKS_TRD/RC%20Cars/290320133791_zps394c780c.jpg
When the Lazer came out, I noticed the new design of the wishbones and the outer link and always thought it would be great if you could have those arms on a Mid. I didn't know at the time that they did indeed fit. I also got the MPP rear arms as they were on eBay, they are period correct and only having a rear pair made them cheaper and they are a closer match to the Lazer front arms than the stock Mid rear arms
http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg152/HKS_TRD/RC%20Cars/290320133796_zps3877385a.jpg
http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg152/HKS_TRD/RC%20Cars/290320133799_zps161e2f8e.jpg
http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg152/HKS_TRD/RC%20Cars/290320133798_zps75d4c5e1.jpg
http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg152/HKS_TRD/RC%20Cars/290320133797_zpsdcd3858d.jpg
HKS_TRD
04-04-2013, 04:39 PM
Moving right along, the next step was the front C-Hubs.
Although I wanted to have Lazer front wishbones on my Mid I didn't want the upper link to be past the kingpin like the ZX but rather I wanted it to stay inboard like the mid, for no other reason than I thought that looked cool.
When I saw these hubs on eBay they were just the thing, being the right configuration, vintage, and gold. I always liked gold parts back when I was into RC unlike now where my fixation is with blue anodised parts. Plus they were ballraced and back then I knew of ball raced hubs but never got to see one. They are marked as being for a Lazer ZX but I am not so sure as they have zero caster (left and right are identical) and they can't accommodate the Lazer upper arm configuration.
They needed some flanged bearings to work. I also got flanged bearings for the Andys knuckles I planned to use, these again fit the build brief of being vintage parts and parts I knew of back when I had my SE.
http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg152/HKS_TRD/RC%20Cars/290320133800_zps6469760a.jpg
http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg152/HKS_TRD/RC%20Cars/290320133805_zps1fe07270.jpg
http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg152/HKS_TRD/RC%20Cars/290320133804_zps960b28ac.jpg
However I very soon ran into issues with the Andy's knuckles fouling on the Lazer wishbones, it turns out that they have a larger external diameter than the standard metal OT-16 knuckles.
This was not such a catastrophe as I had always wanted to polish the stock knuckles back in the day but had no idea about metal polishing. So I had an old pair of knuckles which I had polished up for an experiment. I have removed the front cast mark to make them look a little cleaner. Its hard to capture the shine in the photos
http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg152/HKS_TRD/RC%20Cars/300320133810_zpsf8e53c9f.jpg
So now armed with these I had no more fouling issues and I could bring these bits along for the ride. The platinums are brand new and were being minded by my Lazer ZX so at the moment its sitting very low, but never mind I have grander plans for it now. The front universal joints are new but I also put this nice secondhand pair on the rear because 20 years ago I thought it would be over the top to have them on the rear as well. I went with turnbuckles because I always thought it made no sense for the SE not to have them.
http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg152/HKS_TRD/RC%20Cars/300320133807_zps8abb9538.jpg
http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg152/HKS_TRD/RC%20Cars/300320133812_zpse08d2585.jpg
http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg152/HKS_TRD/RC%20Cars/300320133813_zps125f6c97.jpg
Here you can see the front suspension assembled, along with a polished hex drive
http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg152/HKS_TRD/RC%20Cars/040420133833_zps3884b97b.jpg
I had also saved a motor for this build, although its not the same motor I had in my SE I always liked the Reedy motors and this Reedy looked like the best aesthetic match for this Mid. I also polished the motor spacer and the plates for the spur gear clutch.
http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg152/HKS_TRD/RC%20Cars/040420133845_zps50a646d1.jpg
http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg152/HKS_TRD/RC%20Cars/040420133851_zps1552a4ed.jpg
So with the upper deck and a few other pieces installed including genuine tinted belt and gear covers, its starting to look like a complete Mid now
http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg152/HKS_TRD/RC%20Cars/050420133856_zpsa86a0c82.jpg
http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg152/HKS_TRD/RC%20Cars/050420133857_zps751f9fa1.jpg
http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg152/HKS_TRD/RC%20Cars/050420133855_zps770ca703.jpg
http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg152/HKS_TRD/RC%20Cars/050420133854_zps15d2ddbd.jpg
http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg152/HKS_TRD/RC%20Cars/050420133853_zps1919241f.jpg
http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg152/HKS_TRD/RC%20Cars/050420133852_zps34e939a7.jpg
HKS_TRD
04-04-2013, 04:52 PM
So, I always wanted to have Lazer ZX wheels on the SE, and I have a set of those for it which will be installed at some stage. I also have a brand new set of SE Wheels which will get their turn on it. However I always liked gold wheels, and back in the day I really liked the style of the Turbo Optima wheels. I also had a pet hate for wide wheels on the front of a 4WD.
So I combined all this into one set of wheels, Pargu aluminium version of the Turbo Optima Mid wheel, narrow at the front and anodised gold. The gold C hubs also helped me decide to got for the gold wheels as well as another reason that I will get to in a future post
http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg152/HKS_TRD/RC%20Cars/040420133824_zps7dd35c9f.jpg
I also had some gold Kyosho wheel nuts which were just the thing
http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg152/HKS_TRD/RC%20Cars/050420133866_zps6b1f488d.jpg
So this is how it sits now
http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg152/HKS_TRD/RC%20Cars/050420133863_zps28076594.jpg
http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg152/HKS_TRD/RC%20Cars/050420133867_zps688334f4.jpg
http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg152/HKS_TRD/RC%20Cars/050420133865_zpsec7c6e51.jpg
http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg152/HKS_TRD/RC%20Cars/050420133868_zps755550e3.jpg
Here you can see the Kyosho battery and yellow battery straps I got for it recently and the second pic is it sitting next to my Turbo Otpima Mid Special that is patiently waiting for a paint job. I have some more electrics for it but the next step is going to be the shell, wing, and undertray
http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg152/HKS_TRD/RC%20Cars/050420133869_zpsf9cd1aab.jpg
http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg152/HKS_TRD/RC%20Cars/050420133870_zpsce49bc69.jpg
Naushad
04-04-2013, 07:24 PM
That carbon build with gold wheels is seriously hot! Looks nicer than the original!
Well done!
DanB4
05-04-2013, 02:52 AM
Dan that looks brilliant!
Im buying some of the A&L yellow steering bellcranks for my TOMS runner.
Dan
oli4ke
05-04-2013, 04:41 AM
Nice Job Dan!!:thumbsup:
HKS_TRD
06-04-2013, 01:37 AM
That carbon build with gold wheels is seriously hot! Looks nicer than the original!
Well done!
Thanks, I'm glad it turned out as well as I pictured it in my mind, hoping to have it all finished before too long so I can move on to my next project
Dan that looks brilliant!
Im buying some of the A&L yellow steering bellcranks for my TOMS runner.
Dan
Those bellcranks are great I was surprised they were available again
Nice Job Dan!!:thumbsup:
Thanks Oli
HKS_TRD
06-04-2013, 01:54 AM
So I have a few decisions to make for the last few parts of this build, all opinions welcome.
My SE was painted yellow however I had seen a write up on the SE in a magazine which had the standard stickers but was painted gold and it looked awesome, even with the SE wheels, so I'm thinking thats what color I am going to paint the wing and body on this project.
Keen eyes may have noticed the chassis posts are missing, the plan is for these to be anodised gold, but I'm not sure what if anything else to have anodised gold. I'm thinking the ball joints on the end of the rear stabiliser bar and maybe the plate that sits on the spur gear, though thats not all that visible.
Anyone have any thoughts or suggestions?
I don't want to ovedo it with the gold so I can put other wheels on it and not have them look out of place
ducatikid
06-04-2013, 07:52 AM
Looks amazing, i stripped my Turbo Optima Mid down a few years ago and went to see Steve at Fibre Lyte who reproduced all the Mid parts in carbon. I never got round to fitting it as i found a lot of new old stock parts and rebuilt it back to standard. Now i've seen yours in carbon i may look for another to do, cue divorce!!
HKS_TRD
06-04-2013, 08:33 AM
Looks amazing, i stripped my Turbo Optima Mid down a few years ago and went to see Steve at Fibre Lyte who reproduced all the Mid parts in carbon. I never got round to fitting it as i found a lot of new old stock parts and rebuilt it back to standard. Now i've seen yours in carbon i may look for another to do, cue divorce!!
Thanks, thats one nice looking Mid there, the turbo looks really nice in white to my eyes. Is that body a repro or an original? I have everything to build a Turbo Mid bar the body and wing and the front sway bar
ducatikid
06-04-2013, 09:36 AM
Yeah the body, decals and tires are reproductions from Marwan RC. The quality is every bit as good as the manufacturers. He supplied my Optima parts too.
http://www.marwanrc.com/
Optima here:
http://www.tamiyaclub.com/showroom_model.asp?cid=112568&sid=22564
HKS_TRD
21-04-2013, 03:24 AM
Small update
I have cut out the shell, however I tried something a little different and left the part of the shell behind the shock tower on rather than cut it off. I think it looks pretty good. I'll put a sticker on it after I paint the shell
The wing mount is from my Lazer ZX, I have a carbon one on the way though still debating if I attempt a wire wing mount.
Also the wing is from the TOMS, I think for the SE I will actually use the rear most holes on the wing to bring it closer to the body, the ZX uses these holes and when I test fitted that wing it looks better having the wing closer to the body on the short car IMHO
I plan to use the body posts from a LWB that go on the rear of the chassis, the custom chassis has the mount points for them, it also has the fronts but not sure if I need those. Using the posts just helps keep the shell low and the side pods horizontal for a sleeker look.
I am 99% decided on painting the shell gold and using the stock SE sticker scheme, but now I am wondering if I need gold shocks, or the platinums will contrast well against a gold shell and compliment the polished knuckles. You can have too much gold! I have a spare set of platinums I could tinker with but how on earth do you get the ball out of the cap?
Maybe a custom front shock tower and medium length gold velvets would be just the thing for this buggy
I'll be sending the chassis posts and rear sway bar end links along with a spur gear plate to be anodised gold shortly.
Any way enough of my rambling here are some pics.
http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg152/HKS_TRD/RC%20Cars/210420133898_zpsfd5ea0d3.jpg (http://s247.photobucket.com/user/HKS_TRD/media/RC%20Cars/210420133898_zpsfd5ea0d3.jpg.html)
http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg152/HKS_TRD/RC%20Cars/210420133899_zpse06be3cf.jpg (http://s247.photobucket.com/user/HKS_TRD/media/RC%20Cars/210420133899_zpse06be3cf.jpg.html)
http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg152/HKS_TRD/RC%20Cars/210420133902_zps45086bd7.jpg (http://s247.photobucket.com/user/HKS_TRD/media/RC%20Cars/210420133902_zps45086bd7.jpg.html)
http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg152/HKS_TRD/RC%20Cars/210420133900_zps85dee0d5.jpg (http://s247.photobucket.com/user/HKS_TRD/media/RC%20Cars/210420133900_zps85dee0d5.jpg.html)
http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg152/HKS_TRD/RC%20Cars/210420133897_zps4ee51058.jpg (http://s247.photobucket.com/user/HKS_TRD/media/RC%20Cars/210420133897_zps4ee51058.jpg.html)
DanB4
21-04-2013, 05:54 AM
Fantastic Dan!
Naushad
21-04-2013, 10:22 AM
Looking great Dan. I would get some Parma shell hole strengtheners for what you've done on the rear. It will just help to reinforce that small area where it would be vulnerable to cracks or tears.
I wouldn't paint the shell gold. You've got enough gold going on there with anodizing. How a out a black with gold striping?
HKS_TRD
21-04-2013, 01:41 PM
Fantastic Dan!
Thanks Dan
Looking great Dan. I would get some Parma shell hole strengtheners for what you've done on the rear. It will just help to reinforce that small area where it would be vulnerable to cracks or tears.
I wouldn't paint the shell gold. You've got enough gold going on there with anodizing. How a out a black with gold striping?
I know what you mean but I just want to try it. I saw one painted gold with the standard SE stickers in a magazine and always wished mine was gold. I have other wheels that will go on it from time to time so it won't always be a gold overload
That being said I had a magazine with a four way shootout with the SE against the CAT XL, Dogfighter and Avante, and the car was painted black in that review, with some custom silver decals. It looked pretty good
I can always paint a second shell
Or a third ......
oli4ke
21-04-2013, 02:49 PM
I can always paint a second shell
Or a third ......
LOL :thumbsup:
HKS_TRD
22-04-2013, 12:00 PM
Now I'm considering getting a spare motor plate gold plated, along with a rear wishbone plate and then running a clear gear cover
Or should I stick with the carbon bits
What I would really love is if Pargu made CNC copy of the OT-93 and we could have it anodised in any color we like
Welshy40
22-04-2013, 12:12 PM
Dan,
Youve got this in your blood more than me. Has it arrived yet?
HKS_TRD
22-04-2013, 12:17 PM
What can I say, even back when I had my first SE I was always trying to think of things to do to it, but I didn't know all that much back then
That reminds me, another mod for the Mid was to turn the rear wishbones around and mount the shock to the rear of the tower, maybe I'll do that to this SE
It hasn't arrived but I know its very close from the last update, I'm anticipating Wednesday at this stage
Welshy40
22-04-2013, 12:43 PM
Drum roll.........
HKS_TRD
25-04-2013, 12:41 PM
One more piece to the puzzle turned up along with something you can read about in another thread ...
http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg152/HKS_TRD/RC%20Cars/230420133911_zps4b5a2435.jpg (http://s247.photobucket.com/user/HKS_TRD/media/RC%20Cars/230420133911_zps4b5a2435.jpg.html)
I didn't use the upper section at this stage as I might use them on another project plus they seem to need a slightly larger hole in the wing than the standard plastic pieces
http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg152/HKS_TRD/RC%20Cars/250420133930_zpscac5bd1c.jpg (http://s247.photobucket.com/user/HKS_TRD/media/RC%20Cars/250420133930_zpscac5bd1c.jpg.html)
The extension I left on the body just clears the wing mounts, though I might put a couple notches in it to make it look like its meant to be there
http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg152/HKS_TRD/RC%20Cars/250420133931_zpse445c5dc.jpg (http://s247.photobucket.com/user/HKS_TRD/media/RC%20Cars/250420133931_zpse445c5dc.jpg.html)
http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg152/HKS_TRD/RC%20Cars/250420133933_zps0b1385a6.jpg (http://s247.photobucket.com/user/HKS_TRD/media/RC%20Cars/250420133933_zps0b1385a6.jpg.html)
KrackerG
14-05-2013, 05:57 AM
Awesome, just signed up (1st post), I am also re- building a kyosho optima mid. thank you for sharing! :)
HKS_TRD
17-10-2013, 09:22 PM
Minor update
I had a batch of parts anodised recently for a number of projects and that included some pieces for this build.
I still haven't painted the shell, and now for some reason I'm thinking that maybe I should put medium length shocks on the front of this build with a custom shock tower
http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg152/HKS_TRD/RC%20Cars/120820134140_zps1b551fce.jpg (http://s247.photobucket.com/user/HKS_TRD/media/RC%20Cars/120820134140_zps1b551fce.jpg.html)
http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg152/HKS_TRD/RC%20Cars/120820134142_zpsc1b7840c.jpg (http://s247.photobucket.com/user/HKS_TRD/media/RC%20Cars/120820134142_zpsc1b7840c.jpg.html)
http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg152/HKS_TRD/RC%20Cars/120820134143_zps52d4307f.jpg (http://s247.photobucket.com/user/HKS_TRD/media/RC%20Cars/120820134143_zps52d4307f.jpg.html)
http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg152/HKS_TRD/RC%20Cars/120820134136_zps29447f84.jpg (http://s247.photobucket.com/user/HKS_TRD/media/RC%20Cars/120820134136_zps29447f84.jpg.html)
http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg152/HKS_TRD/RC%20Cars/120820134133_zpsb42e45dd.jpg (http://s247.photobucket.com/user/HKS_TRD/media/RC%20Cars/120820134133_zpsb42e45dd.jpg.html)
DanB4
18-10-2013, 06:31 AM
Looks fantastic Dan!
Apologies if already mentioned but where did you get the cnc rear hinge pin brace (pivot block) from?
j0pp3
18-10-2013, 06:35 AM
Looks fantastic Dan!
Apologies if already mentioned but where did you get the cnc rear hinge pin brace (pivot block) from?
Pargu perhaps? :)
http://www.pargustore.com/kyosho-optima-mid-alloy-rear-arm-mount.html
j0pp3
18-10-2013, 06:37 AM
The car looks great, Dan! Well done sourcing all the parts.
HKS_TRD
19-10-2013, 08:17 AM
Looks fantastic Dan!
Apologies if already mentioned but where did you get the cnc rear hinge pin brace (pivot block) from?
Thanks Dan, I just need to get motivated enough to paint the shell
The rear hinge brace is Pargu as Joel said
The car looks great, Dan! Well done sourcing all the parts.
Thanks Joel, its long wheelbase sibling is in progress, there is a couple sneak peeks in the lazer thread but I will start a proper thread for it soon
HKS_TRD
25-12-2014, 04:48 AM
I still haven't painted the shell but in the meantime I have had all the gold parts (bar the wheels) re-anodised to match the Kyosho Gold on the vintage Gold Shocks along with having some additional parts anodised
More pics as these parts make their way onto it.
There will be a few other changes made at the same time and then it will finally be time to paint the shell
http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg152/HKS_TRD/RC%20Cars/dangold113_zps3edb5c02.jpg (http://s247.photobucket.com/user/HKS_TRD/media/RC%20Cars/dangold113_zps3edb5c02.jpg.html)
HKS_TRD
27-12-2014, 01:40 AM
I have started mounting up some of the new gold pieces
Starting with the chassis posts, rear bulkhead and the rear pivot block that sits in-front of the gearbox
http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg152/HKS_TRD/RC%20Cars/WP_20141226_003_zpsa6097d59.jpg (http://s247.photobucket.com/user/HKS_TRD/media/RC%20Cars/WP_20141226_003_zpsa6097d59.jpg.html)
Then the motor plate
http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg152/HKS_TRD/RC%20Cars/WP_20141226_005_zps47307961.jpg (http://s247.photobucket.com/user/HKS_TRD/media/RC%20Cars/WP_20141226_005_zps47307961.jpg.html)
http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg152/HKS_TRD/RC%20Cars/WP_20141226_006_zpse403d292.jpg (http://s247.photobucket.com/user/HKS_TRD/media/RC%20Cars/WP_20141226_006_zpse403d292.jpg.html)
http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg152/HKS_TRD/RC%20Cars/WP_20141226_007_zps16e6ab13.jpg (http://s247.photobucket.com/user/HKS_TRD/media/RC%20Cars/WP_20141226_007_zps16e6ab13.jpg.html)
http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg152/HKS_TRD/RC%20Cars/WP_20141226_010_zps0471340e.jpg (http://s247.photobucket.com/user/HKS_TRD/media/RC%20Cars/WP_20141226_010_zps0471340e.jpg.html)
And here you can see the rear pivot block that sits on the back of the gearbox along with the sway bar links
http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg152/HKS_TRD/RC%20Cars/WP_20141226_008_zps465fad32.jpg (http://s247.photobucket.com/user/HKS_TRD/media/RC%20Cars/WP_20141226_008_zps465fad32.jpg.html)
Then it was time for the motor brace that used to reside on the 21st Century Mid (on left) to make its way onto this project
http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg152/HKS_TRD/RC%20Cars/WP_20141226_009_zpsd05b2b44.jpg (http://s247.photobucket.com/user/HKS_TRD/media/RC%20Cars/WP_20141226_009_zpsd05b2b44.jpg.html)
http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg152/HKS_TRD/RC%20Cars/WP_20141226_012_zps78ba9ae7.jpg (http://s247.photobucket.com/user/HKS_TRD/media/RC%20Cars/WP_20141226_012_zps78ba9ae7.jpg.html)
Then the layshaft collar, motor spacer and motor could go on
http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg152/HKS_TRD/RC%20Cars/WP_20141226_013_zps50fd51c4.jpg (http://s247.photobucket.com/user/HKS_TRD/media/RC%20Cars/WP_20141226_013_zps50fd51c4.jpg.html)
http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg152/HKS_TRD/RC%20Cars/WP_20141226_014_zpsd79adcd0.jpg (http://s247.photobucket.com/user/HKS_TRD/media/RC%20Cars/WP_20141226_014_zpsd79adcd0.jpg.html)
http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg152/HKS_TRD/RC%20Cars/WP_20141226_015_zps6c273eca.jpg (http://s247.photobucket.com/user/HKS_TRD/media/RC%20Cars/WP_20141226_015_zps6c273eca.jpg.html)
And lastly the gear cover
http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg152/HKS_TRD/RC%20Cars/WP_20141226_016_zps47539ac5.jpg (http://s247.photobucket.com/user/HKS_TRD/media/RC%20Cars/WP_20141226_016_zps47539ac5.jpg.html)
I will get some better shots before the upper deck goes back on, I will be doing a bit of experimentation with the steering and I may need a different set of bellcranks anodised and/or a custom steering link made up
I will probably swap out the shock tower and shocks first along with adding the suspension shaft collars though I forget if I was going to put them on the front or rear lol
I am also considering taking the polished knuckles off and switching to a set of black plastic OT-16s or perhaps getting a pair of 3 Racing knuckles milled down and anodised gold though I think that would be too much gold.
I'm just thinking that the polished knuckles will be out of place with the platinum shocks gone.
vBulletin® v3.8.7, Copyright ©2000-2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.