PDA

View Full Version : my not so NIB Turbo Scorpion. Rebuild thread. update 4/8/13 New parts w/ BETTER pics


turbo scorpion
27-03-2013, 11:05 PM
Here she is. My first real RC. Also the only one I bought new at a hobby shop, that also was a tv/vcr repair shop. (since then I got them used from someone somewhere)

My dad and I built it together. Well I did wake up way early and worked on it for like 2 hours before my parents woke up to go to church one Sunday. lol... Dad was (or acted) impressed, Hmmm now I wonder if he was a little bummed. Still great memories...

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/--qOth2LkZ0o/UWLD5c0EuOI/AAAAAAAAAKw/fnSExZF7fCM/s720/IMG_20130327_181514_520.jpg

Now obviously she needs some tlc. I have all the parts for her. except for one rear wheel. (I wish I knew so don't ask).

I will post pics and rebuild story line, ask advise/opinions on direction to go when I hit snags.

turbo scorpion
03-04-2013, 07:23 PM
Just ordered a bunch of parts. Included is (what appears to be) the Team CRP "Coil Over kit" installed on Red shocks, front and rear wheels and tires. A trans and gears. I will post pics when that all arrives.

So now comes time for 'yall to give your input.

should I go

A) Bone Stock?
Mechanical Speed controll
Period Rx/Tx
Period Servo?
stock motor?

B) Mild mod?
ESC (brushed, period if I can get one)
upgraded motor (kyosho)


also Who makes the best repro body for the TS? including the rollcage/roof.

optiman
03-04-2013, 07:40 PM
I know what you mean... I remember... I was 11 when my dad and I where working together on the two Optimas he bought for my brother and I for Christmass. I remember that when we opened the boxes he almost had a heart attack!!! He told me; "do exactly what I do... if I put this bolt here you do same in the other Optima" Soon enough I was building the two Optimas by myself in record time!!! :D
Oh yes the bodies where ALL messed up; all crooked, paint everywhere, bad cuts... At the time I was not so interested in the body but rather the mechanics, and I am still. So nowdays everytime I have to paint a new body is all sweats!!!!:cry:

Could you insert another pic of the Scorpion, it is a bit blury. Good luck with the rebuild :thumbsup:

turbo scorpion
03-04-2013, 08:15 PM
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/--qOth2LkZ0o/UWLD5c0EuOI/AAAAAAAAAKw/fnSExZF7fCM/s720/IMG_20130327_181514_520.jpg

better pic?

hey I even got smarter and fixed the first pic...lol...

turbo scorpion
08-04-2013, 11:50 PM
:drool:Gigitty:drool:

check out what arrived today!!!



https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-_WM3L_viyDk/UWNOyicvVrI/AAAAAAAAAMY/uJNQpLEG6VI/s720/IMG_20130408_190224_773.jpg

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-p1GNiMIJfMc/UWNOvcpyrqI/AAAAAAAAAMQ/RqJCtYtBke4/s720/IMG_20130408_190233_196.jpg

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-8WGhjNXlx9I/UWNOqEanEAI/AAAAAAAAAMA/zXxSc_OgfeI/s720/IMG_20130408_190307_168.jpg

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-ol_DfrzqRxk/UWNOtN8Di9I/AAAAAAAAAMI/DaHDKFI_ysE/s720/IMG_20130408_190253_922.jpg



https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-18kQa39Tt74/UWNOnoc5lbI/AAAAAAAAAL4/1gEWJAyFBws/s720/IMG_20130408_190318_415.jpg

close up of the shocks. With Team CRP "Coil Over kit"

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-hR1LsX17Yxs/UWNOk57RA3I/AAAAAAAAALw/AZXlKdKCJUs/s720/IMG_20130408_190402_065.jpg

Naushad
09-04-2013, 02:23 PM
Great start...I think the metal could do with a polish. Either take it to a metal finisher or use wet and dry followed by autosol. A dremel useful may be useful too?

Mike Haswell
09-04-2013, 04:14 PM
Duraglit will do the job for polishing up the ally parts ;)
Have a Scorpion in my loft.
The Mabuchi 540 was the motor supplied as kit but you could go for a 27 turn stock or 19/21 turn mod.

turbo scorpion
09-04-2013, 05:50 PM
Were the black plastic steering arms option parts? (Second pic) Never seen them before.

I have the original stock motor/msc/resistor the mega motor pictured, and some Lemans motors....definatly keeping it all kyosho...and atleast mostly period correct.

What was one car has now turned into 2
The first one im leaving together as much as i can to preserve me and dads original build. Just corecting, repairing replacing maintaining as needed.

The second will be...?????