View Full Version : Solder?
andys
30-03-2013, 09:29 AM
After countless years - my big old roll of solder has run out :(
Now I need to buy some more - but what do I need / should I avoid - too many choices!
Links to eBay - recommendations greatly appreciated :)
Also my irons tip is dead - again having trouble finding decent fatish chiseled tips....
Ta
Andy
RudolfXC
30-03-2013, 11:49 AM
Most people on here will say use leaded solder but I get excellent results with lead free solder which is the only one you should be using unless used for military or medical purposes.
badger5
30-03-2013, 04:11 PM
You can use leaded solder for home/personal use. I can't get on with lead free solder either, melting temps always seem to be too high and can never get it to flow like good old 60/40.
I believe RS components sell leaded solder like this;
http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/solders/6195615/?origin=PSF_438940|cav
Maybe worth trying eBay as well. Can't help with the tips I'm afraid as you don't say what iron you have, but Weller and Antex are always pretty good.
If you do go for lead free solder you will need some flux paste or liquid along with it. I use a flux fluid that i got from a model engineer show that works well. Dabbing a bit on the part you will solder it helps the solder flow easy. Only care you must take is on wire as you can make solder creep to much.
rondoolaa
30-03-2013, 06:26 PM
solder = http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1mm-Solder-Soldering-Wire-Flux-Core-250g-15g-Reel-Tin-Lead-Tube-Flux-Paste-20g-/181044219990?pt=UK_Home_Garden_PowerTools_SM&var=&hash=item2a27139056
flux = http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FLU100-Fluxite-Tin-Soldering-Paste-100grm-/190795834591?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item2c6c5164df
this size tin of flux will last you around 40 years, lol
my 50g tin has lasted 25 yrs so far and i solder quite a bit,
.
.
RudolfXC
30-03-2013, 07:21 PM
If you do go for lead free solder you will need some flux paste or liquid along with it. I use a flux fluid that i got from a model engineer show that works well. Dabbing a bit on the part you will solder it helps the solder flow easy. Only care you must take is on wire as you can make solder creep to much.
If you use the correct Multicore lead-free solder you don't need any extra flux.
Also, using plumber's flux can be corrosive and damage anything you solder.
vBulletin® v3.8.7, Copyright ©2000-2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.