PDA

View Full Version : Retro plastic wings? As used in 90s Rc10/YZ10/Cobras etc


southern racer
08-04-2013, 09:45 AM
Does anyone know if the old plastic, high sided, molded wings are still available for 1/10 cars?

The type often fitted to Rc10s, YZ10s, Cobras back in the day?

After a couple, are they like Hens teeth now?

Cheers

optiman
08-04-2013, 04:14 PM
Team Academy did make them for the SB Sport 4wd Buggy

southern racer
08-04-2013, 04:20 PM
Cheers Optiman, will see if still about.

Naushad
08-04-2013, 04:22 PM
Yeah, I've got one of those NIP, but they have the Academy logo printed on the side.

Academy was supported in the UK for a short time but in the States for longer...although
now you hardly see them.

Best bet is to find someone from Korea to get them where people still run academy.

optiman
08-04-2013, 05:04 PM
A buddy of mine is the owner of that green one, I'll check if he has a spare one. Where are you from Southern Racer?

As Naushad said the Academy logo is molded on the sides, look closely. Maybe you can shave it off or put a decal in there.

I personally dont like Academy's, to fragile for my driving style(very bad driver) and a lot of chassis flex, BUT, they are light!!!

I am done with racing on local tracks... it's a PITA here. So I made my own track in my backyard(grass) to race me and my buddies. I use a Novak 4.5 9000Kv on my B44 FT with spiked tires and my buddy uses a Tacon 5800Kv motor on his SB Sport with the same tires and almost identical gearing and his Academy SB flies!!!!! We do track races and drag races just for fun and he aint no turtle, that buggy is so damn light it just goes!
Maybe if I put aside the beer while driving my B44...... naa it would'nt be that fun :D

Naushad
08-04-2013, 05:22 PM
That's awesome. You are fortunate to have such a track!!

I have a few sbv2 cars. With some hop ups they ain't too bad.

southern racer
08-04-2013, 05:25 PM
The UK Optiman. Still searching for the SB ones.. Most 1/10 nitro cars seem to have moved to 1/8 split wing styles.

optiman
08-04-2013, 05:43 PM
Thanks! I just bought a whole bunch of drain pipes, wood, artificial grass and bang!! My own track! Not the be the best, but we have a lot of fun in it.

My other buddy has a SBV2, whole other monster, better design all around. One thing I like about the SB Sport that did not came on the SBV2 was the motor mount, much better.

turbo scorpion
08-04-2013, 09:36 PM
Does anyone know if the old plastic, high sided, molded wings are still available for 1/10 cars?

The type often fitted to Rc10s, YZ10s, Cobras back in the day?

After a couple, are they like Hens teeth now?

Cheers

check out Team Bluegroove they repro bodies and wings. They are in Canada but believe they ship worldwide.

Naushad
08-04-2013, 09:41 PM
TBG are great for repros but I don't believe they do those old nylon wings

turbo scorpion
08-04-2013, 11:21 PM
TBG are great for repros but I don't believe they do those old nylon wings

::forehead slap:: Ya they seem to do only "lexan"...
During that era I was way too preoccupied staring at girls "eyes".
Wonder if they could do some out of a "heavy" lexan...like was used for sprint car wings...

Welshy40
09-04-2013, 05:34 AM
There is a company here that does plastic wings but unsure if high sided like what i used on my zx/zxr in 90's, will find the shop and post here.

southern racer
09-04-2013, 06:11 AM
Thanks Welshy.

Had a Mirage shell arrive yesterday from TBG, here in only 7 days. Parts are starting to build up nicely for build.

bigred5765
09-04-2013, 08:33 AM
try contacting woody(stu wood) or sicoe on here burry buggy club had a box of these

Welshy40
09-04-2013, 08:41 AM
Blacksmiths models did them but appears they are having problems. Ive seen then on ebay and google so just have a look. They were good in the time and mine was pink hehe

terry.sc
09-04-2013, 07:20 PM
For a new interpretation of them more suited to modern chassis, 3Racing make their own version. http://os.3racing.hk/products.php?products_key=2726 Should be much more effective but doesn't look like the old school ones.

Stephen Lander
11-04-2013, 11:58 AM
I have an original one from the 90's,

Not for sale I'm afraid, but for extra Retro points it is made of global hypercolour material and changes colour dependant on temperature. Might be worth keeping an eye out for one of those too.

southern racer
11-04-2013, 09:15 PM
Thanks all, needs to be the older basic shape as for a nostaligic rc10 runner build hopefully.

Si Coe
13-04-2013, 08:20 PM
OK - we've got the following in the cabin at Bury 3x green, 3x gold, and 2 x orange.

Tastefulness not shown but they are indeed suitably retro with massive sides.
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8239/8646663352_c2f43a303a_z.jpg
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8240/8645563831_1d506e863f_z.jpg

Not sure what a fair price is but proceeds to Bury club.

southern racer
13-04-2013, 09:08 PM
Thanks Si, legend. Message sent.

FERRETTI
14-04-2013, 06:01 AM
PMd, thank you.

Si Coe
14-04-2013, 07:29 AM
Just gold left now.