PDA

View Full Version : Homebrewed chassis for the future!


j0pp3
01-05-2013, 07:19 PM
I have wanted to try making something in old school white/yellow fiberglass for a long time. Found a dealer in Sweden that sells sheets in perfect sizes. I thought, why not start with crafting a chassis for an LWB Optima Mid? Said and done! "For the future" means I have to collect parts for another build soon :)

(It's 2.5mm thick and a bit more yellow than in the picture)

http://joppis.dyndns.org/misc/optima_mid_fiberglass_chassis.jpg

DanB4
01-05-2013, 07:33 PM
Identical to mine mate - my TOMS runner has white fibreglass chassis, brace and top deck :)

Here's a pic when I was building her:

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y260/SDRCC/20130219_234543_zpsa0aa72fa.jpg

j0pp3
01-05-2013, 07:45 PM
Yeah, that looks great Dan! Did you make the parts yourself? I'm gonna make matching towers too.

Cheers

DanB4
01-05-2013, 07:49 PM
Yeah, that looks great Dan! Did you make the parts yourself? I'm gonna make matching towers too.

Cheers

No I didn't I'm not as adventurous or talented with a dremel as you! ;)

I had this cut by Terry at DT Racing along with the CF parts for my shelf TOMS.

I'll be racing the fibreglass chassis'd runner in Canada and Australia over the coming few months :)

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y260/SDRCC/20130228_174611_zps3efa445d.jpg
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y260/SDRCC/20130228_174621_zpsf674b6d5.jpg
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y260/SDRCC/20130228_133703_zps58add6b4.jpg

Pre-decals and ESC:
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y260/SDRCC/20130227_232703_zps4fe1a8e6.jpg

lllyf
02-05-2013, 01:09 AM
Are you using the yokomo hotlaps TR12 & TF8 tire on the car?

DanB4
02-05-2013, 01:50 AM
Are you using the yokomo hotlaps TR12 & TF8 tire on the car?

Hi for the runner yes I am.

Joel I didnt mean to hijack your thread sorry!

j0pp3
02-05-2013, 10:57 AM
No problem Dan!

One difference compared to working with other materials was how easy it got discolored if the drill got to hot.